Canadian Dollar is going to cancel our trip.

I haven't booked my cruise yet, but I have a place holder from our last cruise and I am looking at Fall 2017 dates to be released. DH and I fell in love with Cruising on the Fantasy, and there's no way I'm cancelling my cruise... .we are still going to book it and hope for the best. If it costs us 40% more, I guess that's just the cost of travel i'll have to live with :) but I am determined to use my placeholder/ On Board credit and my 10% discount and book that cruise!

I completely understand! The Fantasy is an amazing ship, by far my favourite I've been on so far! :)

I never let the exchange rate dictate whether we go or not but it does factor in the plans more so. Ultimately though, whether we stay at POR with DDP or POP with QSDP and we drive instead of fly, we as a family are spending lots of fun time together. For some it is all or nothing but for us it is 'what can we afford this year and work our way up.

That's how we feel this time going. We also don't know when we will be able to take a vacation like this again. There are going to be many expenses with our kids coming up over the next couple years so we are gonna have a good time and do what we want and cut cost where we can for things

We are planning our January/February 2017 trip and have been saving money in our US account, we also bought our 10 day tickets last week in the case ticket prices go up and the dollar goes down. We are just trying to plan ahead and hopefully get some deals on flights.

That's how we feel this time going. We also don't know when we will be able to take a vacation like this again. There are going to be many expenses with our kids coming up over the next couple years so we are gonna have a good time and do what we want and cut cost where we can for things

This is why I want to go back next year so badly. This summer, we get the house renos done that we need to do. But by 2018, I imagine we're going to be into heavy orthodontics work with our daughter, which will basically eat up our money for the next several years I'm sure. So, if we don't go 2017, it'll be several years before we'll be able to go again.

We are planning our January/February 2017 trip and have been saving money in our US account, we also bought our 10 day tickets last week in the case ticket prices go up and the dollar goes down. We are just trying to plan ahead and hopefully get some deals on flights.

We're planning June 2017, and we're trying to rack up points on our PC+ card to put towards it, and we've also opened a US savings account as well. We're doing the $1-$52 savings plan, so between those two measures, we're hoping to have about half of the trip paid for. The rest will come out of our IT return that year. If time allows I may try and do some photography on the side this year, too, which will help.

This is why I want to go back next year so badly. This summer, we get the house renos done that we need to do. But by 2018, I imagine we're going to be into heavy orthodontics work with our daughter, which will basically eat up our money for the next several years I'm sure. So, if we don't go 2017, it'll be several years before we'll be able to go again.

We're planning June 2017, and we're trying to rack up points on our PC+ card to put towards it, and we've also opened a US savings account as well. We're doing the $1-$52 savings plan, so between those two measures, we're hoping to have about half of the trip paid for. The rest will come out of our IT return that year. If time allows I may try and do some photography on the side this year, too, which will help.
Ours Is orthodontist as well.

We just purchased a (resale) DVC contract at AKV ... super excited but the exchange ... UGH. It was a good contract, and has points on it we are going to rent out to help offset the cost, and we aren't taking a 2016 trip to boot. 2017 seems like a LONG way away ... but the dollar just hurts too much.

It's so disappointing to think that many fellow Canadians have cancelled or are thinking of cancelling. I've booked a cruise a while back and I regret not having paid it in full back then because *silly me* thought the CAD dollar would be going up. :( Thankfully we had points for our airfare.

I haven't booked my cruise yet, but I have a place holder from our last cruise and I am looking at Fall 2017 dates to be released. DH and I fell in love with Cruising on the Fantasy, and there's no way I'm cancelling my cruise... .we are still going to book it and hope for the best. If it costs us 40% more, I guess that's just the cost of travel i'll have to live with :) but I am determined to use my placeholder/ On Board credit and my 10% discount and book that cruise!

I have booked our 2017 Fantasy cruise, and will very likely cancel it. We will do something, somewhere, possibly even in the US. But I just can't justify CAD 8000 cruise fare for a routine week-long Caribbean itinerary. That's before flights, tips, and other onboard expenses, and after the 10% OBB discount. I've been looking at comparable options on Royal Caribbean at under $5000, including gratuities.

For a couple with flexible dates, it might not be so bad. But for my family of four, travelling over March Break... even if it's not strictly unaffordable, it definitely falls into my definition of unreasonable.

I have booked our 2017 Fantasy cruise, and will very likely cancel it. We will do something, somewhere, possibly even in the US. But I just can't justify CAD 8000 cruise fare for a routine week-long Caribbean itinerary. That's before flights, tips, and other onboard expenses, and after the 10% OBB discount. I've been looking at comparable options on Royal Caribbean at under $5000, including gratuities.

For a couple with flexible dates, it might not be so bad. But for my family of four, travelling over March Break... even if it's not strictly unaffordable, it definitely falls into my definition of unreasonable.
Definitely March break rates are out of my reach -- I'm hoping for decent Sept/Oct 2017 rates. We want a Eastern Carribbean itinerary this time. As long as it's around/ close to our first cruise (Halloween 2015 western Caribbean / concierge approx $5,000 ) I'll be happy

So sad to hear! It's never fun cancelling a trip! I hope you find something great for your family at a much better price. RC does have a lot of family friendly activities so that sounds like a good back-up plan!

Canadian Dollar is up over .73 US today. It looks like the gloom and doom forecast of it dropping to the low .60's will not come to fruition. Oil prices are stabilizing as over-production is hopefully slowing down. So things are at least better than anticipated!

Canadian Dollar is up over .73 US today. It looks like the gloom and doom forecast of it dropping to the low .60's will not come to fruition. Oil prices are stabilizing as over-production is hopefully slowing down. So things are at least better than anticipated!

The drop below $0.60 was predicted by end of year. It's only February. Still lots of time. Trust me, I'm hoping it doesn't, but... I'm not holding my breath either.

We are going at the end of August and are trying to pay it off now. We have everything crossed that they offer free dining for the dates we are going and will make the decision in June if we need to downgrade to a value resort.

I feel your pain. We were going to cancel our Jan 2016 trip but decided to go anyways and bite the bullet on the exchange rate. WE did how ever change our plans while in Orlando. Instead of staying at a Hotel and eating out every night we were able to book a timeshare condo. 2 Bed 2 Bath, Full Kitchen and Laundry for $599 USD for the week, just off the 192. We saved money by shopping at Publix's, making snacks for the parks and eating a large Breakfast before taking off for the day.
We also cashed in our Airmiles for Universal Tickets. We shopped around for flights and flying out of Ottawa was a no go BUT driving to Pearson made a huge difference. All 4 of us on Sunwing was $1120 round trip 10 days. We stayed at a near by hotel that offered ParknFly.$124 for the night and you can park the car till you come back. The hotel was worth it since we had a 6:20am flight. We also booked Coranado Springs on Hotels.ca for a slight discount for the last 3 days of our stay. Shopped around for a Car Rental deal and found Expedia was best price.

Everything was worth it since we were in HS for the last night of the Osborne Dancing Lights. Jan 6th 2016

Disney can be done on budget!!! We have been 8 years in row now and always been Disney on a Budget. haha

Bunch of Canadians got PINS today, up to 30% off and free upgrade on tickets to Park Hoppers ... looks like Disney is trying something at least.... unless US people got this too ???
We have gotten pins like this every year since we have been regularly going for a few years now. So, I don't think it's anything new that they are offering Canadians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter