Can we do this, or are we nuts?

ebarj1098

Mouseketeer
Can you pack 2 car seats, a teen and two adults in a compact car and drive 24 hours? That's our only vehicle option, (I refuse to try parking our dually in WDW!) unless we try to borrow my mother's minivan, and that could amount to alot of "you owe me!" What do you think?

I'd rent a car. There are some really good rates out there, you just have to be flexible on your dates & know how to 'work' the system to your favor.

I think you'd all be ready to kill one another after just a few hours.

;) I agree with renting a car or checking travelocity for airfare. We have an Excursion that guzzles gas and I told my husband when we bought it that we would drive his car sometimes, even with the whole family (he has a diesel Jetta that gets 50 mpg :earseek: ) but seriously when we pack in there; 1 car seat, one 10 year old, one 8 year old and two adults it is crazy :crazy: ! and there is no way we would attempt a 24 hour drive in his little car. :teeth:

You might not be able to get them back in the car for the return trip! :rotfl2:

Good luck!

I wouldn't do it. I have a Galant and I cannot imagine driving all the way to WDW in it. But if it meant me not going if I didn't drive it, then you betcha I would!

We did the drive of 21 hours two weeks ago with just two DD's 2 and 4 in a compact one in a lap booster and one in a regular booster and there is no way that I would do it again. I even had a coupon for a free upgrade and didn't use it because of gas prices. It could be that we are used to traveling in a roomy Expedition but I felt cramped. If DD 13 had gone there is no way she woud have fit inbetween her sisters. The entertainment book has coupons for free upgrades. Well worth it to even go for an intermediate. If we drive next year, we will get something bigger, hopefully gas prices will be resaonable again!

This sounds miserable to me. I would seriously think about renting another vehicle or flying.

Once you add your luggage and stroller(s), would you all still fit? I have a small car and once I have the two year old in her car seat and the 7 year old in the back with all their "stuff" and then me and hubby and his "stuff" (travelling without the laptop is appearently not an option) we are packed in. I can fit one large suitcase and the stroller and the playpen in the trunk. Two suitcases won't fit. When we went to Disney, we couldn't even drive oursleves to the airport because all our luggage wouldn't fit in the car (two suitcases, three cary ons, one laptop, stroller). We had orignially rented a mid-size car, but when we got there we got a free upgrade to a SUV and it was a GOOD thing.

Other then that, we drove 7 hours and that was really pushing it. Once we got out of the car the two year old was NOT getting back in her seat when it was time to leave for dinner. And once we got to dinner she was NOT sitting in a high chair. She had to burn off 7 hours worth of energy.

I would seriously concider flying. There just isn't any way I would drive. If you have to drive then definatley look into taking a bigger car somehow.

Yikes! I think you're begging for a mutiny! Please look into a rental or flying. I think you will all be happier with one of those options. I know I would be!

PS - With gas prices what they are, flying may be more economical than you think. Good luck!

It was hard enough on our last trip in a compact car with two adults and two 10 year olds in the backseat - and my drive was only 6 hours. I'd definitely consider other options.

Anytime kids have to "touch" in a car is NOT a good idea. Do you want to hear "mommmmmm, she's touching me" for 24 hours????? I would rent a van or look into flying. How old are the car seat kids? If one is under 2 then you could fly without getting a ticket. The rest of you could most likely find a ticket for $150 or less, so $600. The cost of gas has to be not much less then that not indluding the wear and tear on your car. Then figure in the cost of a night in a motel room and meals along the way. I think you will find flying isn't much more then driving that distance.

You are nuts :) Just kidding! We have taken 45 minute trips with my mother in law. So it was hubby and mother in law in front, and since I am smaller than mother in law, I was in back with 2 car seats. The trip was fine for 45 minutes, but would be rough for 24 hrs!

I read on this board a website thru AAA that calculates gas costs.
www.fuelcostcalculator.com

Let us know what you decide!

I remember taking trips like that when I was a kid, only the drive was actually more like 18 hours. We would end up spending a whole day just recovering from the trip before actually doing anything. That's why dh and I fly ;) (well plus it's probably a 4-day trip if we drove, LOL)... If you must drive, I would definitely consider renting a bigger car/van. You can get great tips and discount codes off of Mousesavers.com: Discounts on Rental Cars

hth!

Yep, you're nuts. Can you imagine??? :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: It could get scary for 24 hours!

Actually, we did check into renting a minivan, it was about $800! Yikes. Flights from Minneapolis are pushing $280 RT right now, plus we'd still have to drive 4 hours to get there. Kinda were trying to do an economy trip! We'd be making two overnight stops, and I have the DVD player, would that help? :rolleyes: Well, POP is booked and we ARE going, no matter how we get there! :flower: Thanks for the suggestions! We'll have to keep on the lookout for deals.

I truly, truly understand when you say that you are trying to keep it economical. It's going to be as fun or as stressful as YOU make it. Keep it fun, and you won't even realize that you have been in the car for that long. Good for you for having a family that doesn't mind travelling in tight quarters. Most families don't travel together, and you miss so many memories! My family of 5 drove from South Carolina to California when we are all teenagers, and I will NEVER forget that trip. Have fun and make some great memories on the way.

Depending on how your mother is, maybe you could suggest "renting" her mini van from her for $200.00 or so. That would be cheaper than renting through a rental company, and it may result in less of "you owe me" since it was a rental agreement and not a loan situation :confused3

My parents are great about letting us use their mini van to go on trips. We just usually get them a nice gift on our trip, and make sure to return the van spotless and full of gas.

Been there, done that, as a kid. I was the youngest, so I was crammed in the middle (my sisters were teenagers), and my baby brother (legal at the time & didn't know how unsafe) rode in the front with my parents. It was from Chicago to WDW--it was miserable. On the way down though no one cared, hey we were going to WDW!

In just 14 days we're (me--one week shy of 6 months pregnant, dh, DS4, and DS15 months) are driving down in a small vehicle (subaru Forester) from just north of Houston. It's my DH's company car & they pay for the mileage, any problems, and gas. Free trip down this way. Luggage is going on the top in a carrier. We would usually take my larger SUV, but you make do with what you have.

My suggestion is just to stop often and stretch--it makes the trip way more enjoyable. And bring things to occupy the kids (DVD, books, coloring books, snacks, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter