Can someone please tell me the appeal of WL??

I've already put in my .02, but lucky for me I have a lot of pennies. There are people that swear by WL. The darkness of the rooms/lodge didn't seem to bother me, but I just wasn't sold on it. As I said before, the pool is too small...we were there in early May (parks not too crowded), and it seemed like we were on top of each other.

I'm not sure what else you are considering. AKL is in the same price point, but you'll run into the "darkness" objections from some there as well. I have not stayed there, but we did eat breakfast over there. Nice, big pool. I hear that, although it is set apart from the rest of the World, it has a very dedicated bus system and wait time is minimized. Others could speak to that better than I.

We stayed at WL this past July and loved every single moment of our trip there. Here's our opinion of the various issues -

1 - Darkness - I read at night and never had an issue with it.

2 - Size - Plenty large enough for 2 adults 2 children.

3 - Pool - This is the smallest resort in number of rooms so the pool is smaller, but we never felt overwelmed and this was in the middle of July. There is also a quiet pool that was never busy and two hot tubs.

4 - Transporation - Plenty of different ways including boat (monorail access at CR) and bus. Close to everything except AK and DTD.

5 - Balconies - Great nice size balconies. We had a bear face room!!!

Overall we loved this resort. We stayed at POFQ on our last trip and WL wins hands down as our favorite (though DS did enjoy the Dragon slide and we we had a magical moment when we saw the fireworks from the railing outside our room).

I just don't get it either, but I can see where some folks would. When I go to Florida for vacation I just don't feel "Northwoodsy". The theme and the pool do nothing for me. My wife and I visited the place and my wife had seen it on the net. She actually wanted to stay there before she saw it in person. After she saw it she immediately changed her mind. We took my kids over this past summer just to see what they thought. They agreed with us. After sliding on the dragon slide at POFQ my kids felt sorry for the kids at the WL pool. It comes down to theme and thank goodness Disney has several themes to choose from. That way we all find something we like.

1) Darkness---yes, the furniture is a dark wood, and the interior of the rooms is drab, but fits with the theming.
2) Size--- rooms are definitely too small to be considered a Deluxe resort (rooms no bigger than those at CBR). We felt very cramped in the rooms with all of that oversized heavy furniture. DH kept banging his shin on the bed post everytime he had to go around the beds. :earseek:
3) Pool is absolutely breathtaking... too bad it was one of the last built without a zero entry.
4) When we stayed there in 2000, the bus route was shared with Ft Wilderness, which definitely slowed things down. Also, we had issues with the ferry not running in time to get us to the MK in time for the opening of Early Entry. :(
5) The balconies were the only saving grace of the room. It gave us room to escape when DD went to bed or took a nap. :D

Overall, we were disappointed with our stay at WL, although the castmembers were great and many aspects are beautiful. Of all of the resorts in which we have stayed, this is probably our least favorite.

We love WL in the Winter. it is so warm and cozy. WE find the rooms fine for our family of 3, though not huge. WE love the loby, the resturants, and the service. The pool is fine and our DS loves the slide. We are laid back and enjoyed the boat ride so much we sometimes road over to FW and back just for the pure relaxation. It might not be my first choice in summer if money was not an issue at all, but for the price of a deluxe, we find it a great choice.

Jordan's ,mom

cavecricket said:
wl is very nice , we enjoy visiting it while at AKL ....however, we are from new england and we have enough woods... i really like the more exotic surroundings such as AKL . we have a cabin in maine and while they do a great job at the atmosphere and all, there is no point ( to me) in feeling like your up north while being down south. to each his own ... just not my thing

And isn't that the great thing about Disney? There is something for every taste! :flower1: There are a few resorts that I just would not feel comfortable in, so I stay somewhere else. :Pinkbounc

Diana

If woodsy, log-cabin inspired, Adirondack-like resorts aren't your thing, then I suggest not staying there. That being said, I absolutely love WL and VWL. It is my very favorite resort, and I've stayed at quite a few. What do I love about it, you ask?? Well, I love the whole decor and atmosphere/the smoky, wood-burning fragrance/the huge fireplace in the lobby/the scattered fireplaces on the upper floors with the comfy couches to snuggle in/the breathtaking view from the numerous public balconies/the fact that it is a smaller resort and takes a few moments to run to the gift shop or Roaring Forks/the absolutely gorgeous landscaping/the beach you can relax on during the day watching the boats zip by, or hang out on a lounge chair at night with your honey, watching the Electrical Water Pageant/the walk along the boards to the dock to catch the boat to the MK, enjoying the huge trees with the spanish moss draping around/waiting for the geyser to shoot into the air/watching the birds flitting in the little streams meandering off from the waterfall/hanging out at the Trout Pool Bar sipping some exotic drink/eating wings and stuffed potatoe skins and drinking an awesome Bloody Mary at the Territory Lounge while catching whatever game happens to be on and trying to find the hidden Mickey in the map on the ceiling/relaxing in a rocking chair on the porch of the VWL while eating a mickey bar and reading a magazine, listening to that great cowboy music/lazily killing an hour or two at the quiet pool at the VWL or in the hot tub, which, by the way, guests at WL may also use. Is that enough? I could go on and on. Oh yes, it is also the best resort to get away from the hustle, bustle and crowds of people at the parks. I forgot to mention the amazing totem poles in the lobby, and the castmembers will happily give you lots of info pertaining to their history. You can also take a tour of the lodge to learn about it's architecture. Again, this resort is not for everyone. Two of my kids love it, one says it reminds him of home and he prefers a more beachy, tropical atmosphere. I also love the Beach Club and the Poly for obvious reasons, but WL holds a special place in my heart.

TeresaNJ- you just made me so happy. We will be at the WL this month for the 1st time. Now I can't wait to go! :earboy2:
Tara

Lucky you, Tara!! I won't be there until the end of June and I can't wait! Another thing we like to do while we are there is to take the boat over to Fort Wilderness for the breakfast buffet at Trails End Buffeteria. The breakfast pizza is awesome. We also visit the horses while we are there, stroll along enjoying the scenery and the peacocks, and although it is quite a hike, we have walked back to WL along the bike path. Lots of fun!! I could go to WL and have a great time without ever going to the parks. Although the main pool isn't as big as the one at AKL, it is still nice, and as I said, there is always the quiet pool at VWL, plus hottubs at both resorts. Don't forget to visit the train room at VWL, you can play checkers with the kids or just relax in the oversized chairs or sit in one of the windowseats checking out the scenery. It is definitely the most relaxing resort Disney has to offer.

We stayed at WL a couple years ago and we weren't that impressed. Let me first state though that I think the lobby and the theming are indeed impressive, it's just the "guts" of it. What I mean is exactly what you said. The rooms are small and dark. Plus, we found the transportation to be sloooow. The pool is small. The CMs left a little to be desired. Other than the beauty of the resort's exterior and lobby, and the grounds, we weren't impressed. I do like the trail that goes to Fort Wilderness. I can see why people like it though. It's an affordable deluxe choice.

PamNC

We are coming from the Pacific NW, where everyday life looks like WL, so we chose BWI as something "different". I, too, saw the Travel Channel yesterday and it does look beautiful. If I was coming from a warm climate, I might want to try it.

That's exactly why WDW has so many different resorts on property, to meet different tastes. We have stayed at several and visited more. Like the previous poster said, "All you have to do is walk into the lobby...". My husband says that the first time we walked in it was like a choir of angels singing(of course it was at Christmas time). This last trip we stayed at BCV(we are DVC members) and we weren't impressed at all. It was nice, but not to our liking. Then we moved to VWL and as soon as we went under the arch in the drive it was like a huge sigh and a "we're home" feeling. We love the warm and cozy feeling of the fireplaces and the relaxing seating areas. Of course, the villas are bigger rooms than the hotel rooms in the main lodge. Anyone looking for bigger rooms should check out DVC. Our purchase has paid for itself in just over 3 years and we have many more years left to use it.

After that we moved to SSR and we really liked it there as well. It is more spread out, but it has a nice feel to it. But, VWL will always be our favorite!

My experience shows they have some of the best cast members at any deluxe. They all seem very happy and eager to help.

I know I already posted on this thread, but if I recall I do remember hearing that the WL has consistenly been voted "The Best Themed Resort" or "The Best Resort" out of all of the WDW resorts ... It may not be that exact title, but it's something among those lines. The reason why it's sometimes hard to get a room booked is because, like others have said, it's a large all-connected resort, but it doesn't have a lot of guest rooms. My dad won't stay anywhere else, maybe the Poly, and definately not GF because he feels that you need to be all dressed up when you go in there and it doesn't feel relaxing, no one in my family likes the CR because we think it looks like a toaster and don't like the inside except for the monorail, but that gets old. And I wouldn't want to stay at the AKL because I just think that yeah, it's close to AK but so far away from MK, and somewhat far from Epcot, DS, and DTD. WL!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I LOVE WL, We have stayed there four times, and coming up on our fifth. But I agree it is a very personal thing. WL along with the Grand Californian in Disneyland (which I had a rare chance to stay at! WOW!) are both themed to the Arts and Crafts movement, started in the UK I believe. The movement is still alive today in what we now call Mission style. Wilderness Lodge is FULL of not just any old Mission furniture but authentic Stickley furniture pieces. For example most of the furniture in the lobby and elevator halls is true genuine Stickley. (yes sad enough my husband's sister went looking for the burn mark and found it) The detail in Disney not just modeling after, but actually using real Mission pieces is a great attraction for me, since we cannot afford Stickley Furniture ourselves (a dresser bureau from stickley is $6000 read those zeros!). The detail in geniune carved detail, the stream that flows through the lobby, the fourth floor fireplace, the details are all here, and make it feel extremely homey.

If you like Polynesian you will probably like WL, the feeling is very similar, except honestly I like WL better because I dont have to go outside to fill my drink up! Plus its not as much as a hike.The rooms are small, but not overly so, I've fit four people into a standard room and it was a little cramped, but it still has double sinks and a seperate room for the toilet and bath, major pluses in any hotel. Plus it has queen beds not double beds, which is nice for sleeping arrangements, it probably eats up extra space though.

Probably an explination (sp?) on the room size goes back to the fact that the WL was designed ORIGINALLY as a moderate, and sort of became a deluxe as it was being designed at built. Kind of interesting tid bit, but makes sense if you think WL was not built with a concierge floor, it only has one pool, and the rooms are iffy on size.

Anyway no more run on posts, but WL is worth trying, like the saying goes you either love it or you hate it, if you love it you will always be attached at the hip and it will become an obsession, if you hate it there are many other beautiful resorts at Disney to try.

Jennifer :wave:

I was just wondering what attracts people there. The hoopdido review did look like lots of fun and the pool looks nice but what is so great?This is one of the hotels on the bottom of my list to try change my mind for me! :cool1:[/QUOTE]

I haven't been yet but I've chosen WL for my Nov/Dec trip. I dno't really care how big the rooms are, even though we'll probably be spending a good deal of time at the resort because of the time of year we're going most of it won't be in the room. I just think the WL looks relaxing. I love the lobby and all the wood and I can't wait to sit by the fireplace with a good book while my kids spend their money in the arcade. After spending a day in the hustle and bustle of the parks I'm going to need a place to unwind and I'm betting WL is going to be the perfect place for me to do that.

I too saw the special on the travel channel and have previously stayed there. We absolutely love it! I had taped the show a week before we took my inlaws there and refused to show them the tape because it is simply impossible to capture the Lodge without actually being there. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but for many it is the absolute best. Until you have walked through the front doors, heard the music and walked over to look at the lake, you cannot describe it to anyone. The pool is smaller, but it has fewer rooms. Compare the # of rooms at BC/YC to Stromalong Bay etc. The last two times we stayed there it was sold out and did not feel like it. We have only had one real transportation problem and we usually stay for over a week and never get in our car. The buses have never been full when I was there either. The rooms are small, but it did not bother us. The price also makes it very attractive vs. the other deluxe resorts(with the exception of the AKL). For those of you who have not been but are planning to go, go with an open mind. For many it is spectacular and we crave going back. My husband insists that we spend a minimum of two days just relaxing at WL and not park hopping when we go. If you do go, try going to the lobby late at night, 10-11, sit in a rocking chair by the fire and take it all in. It is so quite, peaceful, romantic, and breathtaking to many of us.

We stayed at WL last year with two adults and two kids and I thought the room was fine. We were rarely in it. I would like to add that the beach area at WL is nice and relaxing and the pool bar is great. YOu can rent bikes and ride around, and even go over to Fort Wilderness to walk around, see animals or eat at their restaurant, which has great ribs and low prices for a resort restaurant. The food at Whispering Canyon is very good too. The boat ride over to MK was also relaxing.

A really nice thing was that if you get a woods view room, you can watch the fireworks from the comfort of your own room instead of being out in the parks and racing with everyone else to get back afterward.

We stayed in October and the theme worked really well then. My friends honeymooned there and loved it too. The high end restaurant, Artist Pointe, is very good and the bar looks nice.

We also LOVE the WL and exciting about going back in a few months. We live on the coast, just a mile or two from the beach, so this theme is "exotic" to us and VERY relaxing.

From the moment we walk through those doors, we feel "at home." Our little guy loves the BIG lobby and searching all around. He could spend on hour running over and over the little bridge.

I love walking around outside and seeing the little waterfalls at night, the beach area, the geysers, etc. It's soooo beautiful.

A few years ago, I was pooped and stayed in for half a day or so and everyone else went to the parks. I spent at least an hour and half comfortably situated in luxurious leather in the lobby, listening to that much and watching families come and go, greet each other and have dinner, etc.

My best memories are at WL. We are always had excellent CM's there, too. It's just perfect..... for us!

We stayed at AKL in Oct, '02 and even though we've never been inside WL they seem alot alike so I haven't had a desire to stay there yet. I did see the Travel Channel special also. We stayed at GF in Nov, '04 and our bus dropped off there so we also saw the outside. My DH decided just by looking at it that we don't ever need to stay there! lol I did think the GF rooms were way bigger than AKL's although it's just me, DH & DD (8) so we don't need alot of space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter