Can someone please tell me the appeal of WL??

nygrl

DIS Veteran
I just watched wl on the travel channel and was not impressed> the rooms look small and very dark. people talk about the decor of the rooms at the cr and i must say from what i saw the cr rooms are much more cheery. I was just wondering what attracts people there. The hoopdido review did look like lots of fun and the pool looks nice but what is so great?This is one of the hotels on the bottom of my list to try change my mind for me! :cool1:

Yes, I have the admit that the rooms themselves are on the small side. BUT, we LOVE the relaxing atmosphere of the wood, stone and water (i.e. creek running through the lobby, etc.) and, after long days in the glaring sun, the more subtle lighting is welcome. We really didn't find it to be "dark"...just not "bright". It also kind of feels like 2 vacations at the same time: hot, sunny Florida and also peaceful, "National Park" type stay. The theme somehow helps us recharge for the next day better than a louder, brighter resort would. But, every family is different and that's why WDW resorts come in so many different themes!

Karla B. :flower1:

The rooms are smaller than the rooms at the GF, CR, Poly, YC/BC etc, but I think that the rooms at the AKL are the same size as the WL. The rooms also have queen size beds rather than the full size beds at the moderates and value resorts. Some of the rooms also have bunk beds and a queen size bed which is nice if you have children who each want their own bed.
They are a bit dark but really were not that bad, I stayed there in Dec of 2002 and we loved the resort. The lobby is beautiful, the pool and the hot tub area is very nice, the slide was a bit small but since it was my son who was 20 at time and myself it was not big deal to us.
We had no trouble with the transportation, the boat ride to the MK can be a bit chilly in cooler weather, but other than that we had no complaints about the wait for the buses etc.
The food court had a nice selection, and the Whispering Canyon resturant was a hoot and the food was good.
The Hoopdedoo Revue is actually at Fort Wilderness, not the WL.
All resorts do not appeal to all people, I would love to stay there again, but for my next trip my husband would like to try either the BWI or the CR.

you guys are making it sound better already. I guess i am just not the woodsy type but you are making it sound more cozy than woodsy. I think wl may have just moved up 1 notch for the cozyness lol!! :cloud9:

I think it's a very romantic resort. I love the woods, with the spanish moss hanging from the branches. It's about atmosphere, and being taken away to another place and time. Every time I go there, I feel I am not in Florida, but somewhere with a slower and more relaxed pace. Looking out from the balcony and seeing a family of otters playing in the pond is a real treat too. The scattered fireplace lounging areas add to the charm, and make you want to roast marshmellows, while sipping a nice, warm toddy,,(yes, even in July,,LOL)

I stayed there in May 2003 for 4 nights after 4 nights at BC. I appreciate the grandeur of the property, but I wasn't that impressed with it. Some of this is due to the noise from the lobby, and some is due to what I consider to be a pretty small pool for the size of the resort. There are good things about WL, but next time I'll pay the extra $$$ to stay at Poly...or back at BC/YC.

Having grown up in Colorado (live in Dallas now), I never feel that when it's 100 degrees outside, I'm in the pacific northwest...no matter what the surroundings are. If I'm going to be hot, give me the beach.

If you don't stay there, be sure and visit the lobby and walk around. The music playing is usually something like "Rodeo" by Aaron Copeland, or some other "classy western orchestral piece". The Teepee chandeliers are beautiful. You really feel like you are transported to the American Northwest. The pool has one area that has a strong cool current, as if you are in a river!
The structure and wood beams - the whole atmosphere is wonderful!

I grew up in a log cabin, so the WL feels like going home to me. I can see where some people might feel that the WL is "dark", but we think it's "homey" (sp?) and cozy. Between the music in the lobby, the sounds from the Whispering Canyon Cafe, and the bubbling spring, we could sit in the lobby forevery just people watching.

I also love the fact that everything is in one building. I love the little touches, like the paw prints in the cement, and the sounds of crickets they pipe into the walkway to the bus stop.

In fact, due to budget constraints, we haven't stayed there on our past couple of visits, but we always make a point to go look around the WL, shop at the mercantile, and maybe have lunch. It's definitely our favorite, and we can't wait to stay there again. :flower1:

Diana

We had a split stay in 2003 between AKL and then WL. We went to visit WL the day before we were supposed to check in there and asked to see a room and were so disappointed in the rooms that we went back to AKL and asked to continue our stay there instead. The lobby is very pretty but the rooms were a huge disappointment to us. It used to be on the top of my list of resorts to stay at but now it has moved to the bottom.

goin2disneyagain said:
We had a split stay in 2003 between AKL and then WL. We went to visit WL the day before we were supposed to check in there and asked to see a room and were so disappointed in the rooms that we went back to AKL and asked to continue our stay there instead. The lobby is very pretty but the rooms were a huge disappointment to us. It used to be on the top of my list of resorts to stay at but now it has moved to the bottom.

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I SAW THE ROOMS ON TV TODAY A DISSAPOINTMENT. I GUESS IF YOU DONT SPEAND MUCH TIME IN THE ROOM THE RESORT HAS ALOT OF OTHER THINGS TO OFFER!

I agree with NCDisneyMom, all the things she said and more. How much time do you really spend in your room. We were there during Hurricane Frances, and we had to stay on the grounds. At one point we even had to stay in the room. There was my DD(16), DH and me. The room didn't feel small. Because we had to stay at the hotel for some time it was nice that to get around we didn't have to go outside.

I just think the atmosphere is great, and I love the woodsey feel. They now have two pools, so if one has to many people go to the other one.

For the money I think it's very beautiful and close to the MK. :wizard:

We have stayed at Dixie Landing, GF and WL. I would never do Dixie Landing (now Port Orleans) again. Too big, cattle call for the buses, crummy room etc. GF was gorgeous the transportation great, food so so and incredibly expensive. WL has bunkbeds, I have a boy and a girl. The rooms were decent(yes a little dark), the layout is very nice. The transportation is close to MK and not too far from the other parks. The restaurants are reasonable and good. Going back in Feb. and staying at WL again :cheer2:

Also, you said you just "saw" it on TV ... You have to actually walk in the front doors into the lobby. :earseek: Is all I can really say. In 1996 I believe, we stayed in an offsite hotel for a day, and my family hated it. So we called the WL and they still had some rooms, and we immediately packed up and went there. There are no words to describe walking into the lobby for the first time. Once we stayed in the WL we will never ever go to another hotel because, to my family, it is perfect. It's not too dark, either, it's very relaxing and cool which is just what everyone needs, especially after a tough day in the park with the temperatures well above 90 degrees! I don't know if I'll ever stay in another hotel now that I've been this spoiled with staying in the WL multiple times... :D

wl is very nice , we enjoy visiting it while at AKL ....however, we are from new england and we have enough woods... i really like the more exotic surroundings such as AKL . we have a cabin in maine and while they do a great job at the atmosphere and all, there is no point ( to me) in feeling like your up north while being down south. to each his own ... just not my thing

I visited WL for dinner on our last trip, thinking that we might want to stay there in the future. I was not at all impressed with the whole woodsy theme and the boat to/from MK took longer than I expected. The lobby was well done, but I'm one who has spent lots of time in woodsy cabins, so I want a little more luxury.

ok wl is starting to go back down on my list i have to agree that when i go to florida i dont want to feel like i am upstate somewhere. It also doesnt seem very disney maybe i am wrong but i just dont get that disney feeling wich i like to have when i am at disneyworld! I think on our next trip we will visit and see for ourselves. has anyone ever been able to see a room at a resort while visiting to see if you might want to stay there?

I too watched the Travel Channel today and the WL looked nice, but it looks like places we visit here in the Adirondacks. Beautiful, but not what we would look for in a resort in Florida. I will check it out while we are visiting next winter and maybe seeing it in person will change my mind towards it.

nygrl said:
I just watched wl on the travel channel and was not impressed> the rooms look small and very dark. people talk about the decor of the rooms at the cr and i must say from what i saw the cr rooms are much more cheery. I was just wondering what attracts people there. The hoopdido review did look like lots of fun and the pool looks nice but what is so great?This is one of the hotels on the bottom of my list to try change my mind for me! :cool1:

I know what you mean, Sheri. I visited once and although I thought it was beautiful, I didn't really want to stay there. "Too dark", I thought. Then.........when I called cro to see what was available, WL was the only one. I REALLY wanted to stay deluxe so I thought we'd try it. WE LOVED IT!

Maybe it was the INCREDIBLE attention to detail. My kids loved the bunk beds. Whispering Canyon is so much fun, with good food. We thought the water spring in the lobby was cool. The first time we had a courtyard view. I loved this because I could hear the waterfall and it was like being by the ocean. We saw the Water Pageant that night from our balcony.

The second time we had a woods view and could see the castle and fireworks at night. My kids loved Cubs Den........the babysitting service........they didn't want to leave. I love all of the little cozy places you can sit and just relax looking at that beautiful lobby. We found a lot of interesting stuff in the giftshop.

But one of the things I love about WL................is that it is all under one roof!! It's got to be one of the least "spread out" Disney resorts. I liked this when it was time to refill those mugs. :D

If it doesn't thrill you then move on. There are so many nice resorts at WDW. We will be staying at the WL at the end of this month. I would pick different resorts for different reasons. We love the MK and spend most of our time there so a MK resort is what we chose. My kids live the outdoors. They are excited about the gueyser, beach, waterfalls, otter pond and boat transportation. I also like the fact that we can rent a boat from there. You can view the EWP from the docks as well. The petting zoo and campfire sing a long next resort over is also another perk. The water launches to the other MK resorts is another option that I like. Googd luck with finding the resort that fits you best. :D
Tara

We stayed there for two weeks and won't again. The rooms are small and it doesn't matter if you don't plan on staying in them long. They are annoying just to walk around in and fit everything into. They are also dark. The lobby is beautiful though and we do make it a point to eat at the Whispering Canyon and enjoy the lobby on our other visits. We just make sure it is only a visit and not a stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter