• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I replace the screen on a cell phone

Sandi12404

Mouseketeer
My DD14 accidently dropped her phone and the screen cracked. It still works fine, she can text,call,take pictures etc. We have insurance on the phone and it's a $100 deductible to get a new phone. I took it to Sprint and they said they can't fix it because they can't get the part they need. I didn't think a piece of glass would be so hard to find and her phone is less then a year old. So before I shell out the money to replace a fully functional (cracked) phone I thought I would ask around to see if there are any other options that might not cost as much.

Sandi12404 said:
My DD14 accidently dropped her phone and the screen cracked. It still works fine, she can text,call,take pictures etc. We have insurance on the phone and it's a $100 deductible to get a new phone. I took it to Sprint and they said they can't fix it because they can't get the part they need. I didn't think a piece of glass would be so hard to find and her phone is less then a year old. So before I shell out the money to replace a fully functional (cracked) phone I thought I would ask around to see if there are any other options that might not cost as much.

There are kiosks at the mall that do it. Or mail order do it yourself, if you're inclined.

As suggested above, probably a mall kiosk or some local "fly by night" shop might be able to do it. Sometimes Craigslist has ads for "we repair iPhones etc..." ads... I don't know how reputable those places are. I have no idea how to do the repair myself, but I do not imagine it would be too difficult for somebody who halfway knows what they are doing.

If it isn't an iPhone or really common phone, I guess finding the correct replacement part could be a big problem.

Check on amazon.com . They sell replacement screen kits for a variety of phones.

Google & YouTube search the type of phone. If its a very popular phone, you WILL find video instructions for sure on how to do it yourself.

Just a caveat though...if you opt to fix the phone yourself make sure you aren't voiding your insurance coverage. Some phone coverage policies will not cover any subsequent damage if they discover that you have 'altered' the phone yourself.

I had the same unfortunate accident with mine . . .the screen was completely spider-webbed and shattered . . .I took mine to the Mall at a Kiosk and the guy fixed it in 5 minutes . . .it cost $65, but it was worth it . . .I wasn't paying the $250 that ATT wanted for a replacement, I also didn't have insurance on it.

Needless to say, I now have it housed in an Otterbox and it's basically indestructible . . . :thumbsup2

I had an excellent experience with Crackedmacscreen.com. Their staff are certified Apple technicians.

I had my macbook screen totally destroyed on a United flight ( I HATE UNITED- sorry have to say it every time ) and contacted them. Excellent communication, fantastic service and using the same macbook right now.

I'd use them again in a second.

I had an excellent experience with Crackedmacscreen.com. Their staff are certified Apple technicians.

I had my macbook screen totally destroyed on a United flight ( I HATE UNITED- sorry have to say it every time ) and contacted them. Excellent communication, fantastic service and using the same macbook right now.

I'd use them again in a second.

How did an airline destroy your computer screen? Just curious.

How did an airline destroy your computer screen? Just curious.

I was at the gate and my flight had been called. I had a very small purse, and my regulation sized carry on bag with me. When I handed my boarding pass to the gate agent, I was given a green tag to gate check my carry on. I told the agent my lap top was in the bag and I needed to get it out. I was told, "Sorry, Ma'am, you are only allowed 2 carry on items per FAA rules. The purse, and the carry on. You can not carry the lap top." I was furious, it's an expensive macbook pro that I did NOT want to check (obviously) since it was in a carry on bag. She wouldn't budge. The computer would not fit in my purse. The line behind me was building up and I had two choices, not get on the flight or let them take my carry on away. Well, I made the choice to let them take my bag, (I was flying up to see my oldest daughter and grandson in NY and only had 5 days). Of course my gate check bag was returned to me with a destroyed screen.

I called United and shared the problem with them. Shockingly they didn't care.

I HATE United airlines and won't fly them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter