Can I make a 10:21 am flight at MCO?

moondance

Earning My Ears
My title has the incorrect time, it's 10:19am (not that make much of a difference).
For those who have sailed recently. What was the earliest people were getting off of the ship? I will be sailing on The Dream this summer and I would love to leave on their 10:19 am flight. I plan to use a private car service and I know I can't use DCL to bring my luggage to MCO. Is this possible or am I crazy to think this can be done?

I guess the question is "what happens if you miss it?"

With NORMAL Customs clearance, you can get off the ship about 7:30, but I've seen times with the big doors didn't open till well after 9. I had a cruise where we booked a 12:30 flight; we got to the airport early and were bumped to a 9:30 flight! However, this is NOT the norm.

I think you are crazy. (you asked!):goodvibes I seriously wouldn't book anything before 11:30, DCL suggests 12:30.

All it would take would be a Customs delay, an accident on the Beachline, or any of a zillion other things that could go wrong and you wouldn't make the flight. In addition, MCO is one of those airlines where things can take a long time--security and luggage check in--and you'll have to do both. You won't be allowed to do the onboard check in with such an early flight. The car service will be a little faster than DCL transfers, but probably not enough faster!

My title has the incorrect time, it's 10:19am (not that make much of a difference).
For those who have sailed recently. What was the earliest people were getting off of the ship? I will be sailing on The Dream this summer and I would love to leave on their 10:19 am flight. I plan to use a private car service and I know I can't use DCL to bring my luggage to MCO. Is this possible or am I crazy to think this can be done?

:rotfl2::rotfl2: NO!

I will be sailing on The Dream this summer and I would love to leave on their 10:19 am flight.
The only way I would attempt this is if I could change the ticket to a later flight, if needed, without any additional fee -- such as unrestricted business class.

Woody

I live extremely close to the port. If I had a 10:19 flight at MCO (which most over here fly out of) I would be leaving my house no later than 7:30. That means car packed with luggage, already gassed up, everyone buckled in: 7:30.

No way would I attempt a 10:19 off a ship.

Orlando is an airport is one ASTA recommends being at 3 hours before flight time. You'd never make that. Disney says nothing before 12:30, although the travel agent they use will book earlier. I figure that since Disney runs thousands of passengers a week through Orlando Airport, and they recommend nothing before 12:30pm, that must be based on some experience on the issue.

I'd book a later flight. We have been off the boat closer to 8 and we don't see Orlando until close to 10:30 due to traffic, etc. You'll never make that early a flight. even if you goto to the airport at 9 Security will take you at least 30-45 minutes if there is only a short line. if the line is like it was last time I flew more like 90 minutes.

If I were you I'd take a later flight.

we have made several 10:40 flights using private transportation, skipping breakfast and standing at the front of the lobby at 7:00 am. You will be waiting in the lobby atleast 30 minutes, but you will need to be in front of the line. We have almost always arrived 1 1/2 hours early. At Christmas we arrived at the gate just as boarding began. This was due to the ship/customs, not the airport. They did not let people off until about 8:20 and getting luggage was disorganized. (not the norm)

we have made several 10:40 flights using private transportation, skipping breakfast and standing at the front of the lobby at 7:00 am. You will be waiting in the lobby atleast 30 minutes, but you will need to be in front of the line. We have almost always arrived 1 1/2 hours early. At Christmas we arrived at the gate just as boarding began. This was due to the ship/customs, not the airport. They did not let people off until about 8:20 and getting luggage was disorganized. (not the norm)

I guess it's just me, but the last thing I want after a relaxing cruise is hurrying and stressing the last morning to make my flight.

If you are doing a 4 night cruise and trying to get to MCO and on your flight by that time, including checking your bags, good luck. The security lines can often be over one hour wait. Thursdays seem to be the busiest days for people leaving MCO. I would not chance it, only because of the baggage check in lines and TSA lines.

I Personally would not feel comfortable trying to make a flight any earlier than noon. I like having a less stressful/hurried time before disembarking. All I would be thinking about is what if traffic is too heavy, what if there was a mechanical breakdown, what if lines are huge at one or both the airline check-in or security.

So another vote for a later flight.

MCO is a very poorly run airport. Lines for security can be VERY VERY long and do NOT expect that cries of "My plane leaves at 10 AM" will get you to the front. (And honestly, if they let you in then the next thing you know, they are paniced because all of the "late arrivals" pushing then back have made you late, it's just making a bad situation worse. Sadly I see it at LAX all the time. They pull the 'late arrivals' there for some reason and soon those of us who arrived on time are now 'late'. If they would make those FIRST late arrivals live with the consequences the rest of us would be on time. MCO does NOT pull late arrivals.)

I wouldn't risk it and I fly weekly and know a lot about getting through airports quickly. Plus depending on the carrier there is cutoff for luggage.

How long does it take to get from the port to MCO? We have an 11:35am flight which was originally a 1:05pm flight when we booked it but the airline moved up the time.

We were on a preview cruise in January and the nonstop flight back home was at 1010a and I was thinking the ship might be late clearing customs so I booked a connecting flight at 1230p through Philly. We got off the ship at 715a, took the Disney Cruise bus was at the airport around 815a and in the Southwest line by 830a. We were put on a waitlist for the 1010a flight but it was overbooked. We made it to the gate around 9a and had pleny of time to sit around. So we could have made the 1010a flight but I felt rushed. Now the times for our April trip have been pushed back to 1045a and I'll be booking that flight as it's an half hour later, so I feel good about making that even using Disney Cruise bus. So it can be done if everything is on time but you'll feel rushed, but if you make the flight you'll be relieved that you are on your way home earlier.

We were on a preview cruise in January and the nonstop flight back home was at 1010a and I was thinking the ship might be late clearing customs so I booked a connecting flight at 1230p through Philly. We got off the ship at 715a, took the Disney Cruise bus was at the airport around 815a and in the Southwest line by 830a. We were put on a waitlist for the 1010a flight but it was overbooked. We made it to the gate around 9a and had pleny of time to sit around. So we could have made the 1010a flight but I felt rushed. Now the times for our April trip have been pushed back to 1045a and I'll be booking that flight as it's an half hour later, so I feel good about making that even using Disney Cruise bus. So it can be done if everything is on time but you'll feel rushed, but if you make the flight you'll be relieved that you are on your way home earlier.

I got caught in a back log at security at Orlando. At the airport by 10:15, in security line by 10:30, by the time I got to the gate for my 12:35 pm flight, it was already boarding. So much for a leisurely lunch at the airport.

Thanks for the feedback. I needed to hear someone say I was crazy. Jet Blue changed our departure time, this is the 2nd vacation they have done this to me and I had to switch to Continental. I will call them to see if I can change/cancel.

We did 3 Dream cruises in January and each one had a back up getting off the ship....I would guess because it a new ship and they don't have the logistics down yet (I am sure that will change going forward).

I agree with the poster that said if you wanted to make that flight you HAVE to be at the front of the line when the ship clears. We got to the line soon after the ship cleared and there were at least 400 people in front of us. It is slow in the luggage terminal as well. At least now they have a designated line for customs (before it used to be a free for all) but it still takes time to find your luggage and wait in the line.

It could be done but with a great deal of stress.

MJ

I am planning to book a 12 noon flight home following our cruise on the Dream in August, and I'm a little hesitant b/c DCL recommends 12:30 or later. There is no way I would try a 10 -something a.m. flight. Too many things can go wrong and cause you to miss it....

MCO is a very poorly run airport. Lines for security can be VERY VERY long and do NOT expect that cries of "My plane leaves at 10 AM" will get you to the front. (And honestly, if they let you in then the next thing you know, they are paniced because all of the "late arrivals" pushing then back have made you late, it's just making a bad situation worse. Sadly I see it at LAX all the time. They pull the 'late arrivals' there for some reason and soon those of us who arrived on time are now 'late'. If they would make those FIRST late arrivals live with the consequences the rest of us would be on time. MCO does NOT pull late arrivals.)

I wouldn't risk it and I fly weekly and know a lot about getting through airports quickly. Plus depending on the carrier there is cutoff for luggage.
I second this. The wait at Orlando can be awful. I would be afraid to miss it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter