Can anyone do me a 'simple' guide?

milomummy

Mouseketeer
The more I am reading on here the more confused I am getting:confused3
There seem to be so many options for so many things and I just don't know where to start, I actually feel rather emotional about it. I want our holiday to be so special but am worried it will not go to plan because I haven't planned it properly:(
So, can people give me their easy to follow advice please.

Tickets.
It seems important to buy the WDW tickets before we go. And people have been kind enough to point me to that mapleleaf website which looks ok. However, WHAT tickets do I get? I was so baffled by the options I kind of gave up looking! We'll be there for 12 nights/13 days. I'd like to have the option to 'hop' around the parks. We'd like to be able to use the waterparks maybe too.
I think we will hold off buying Universal tickets..firstly, not sure if we'll even go as it all looks too 'old' for ds (5). Secondly, I'd rather we did everything we could Disney wise first.
We'll also hold off buying Seaworld and Busche Garden tickets as have been assured that if DH flashes his military ID and explains he is just back from Iraq, we'll get in free (or at least he will).

Meals
We don't really like to be tied to any particular routine meal wise, our plan is to 'load up' on breakfast and get through the day with snacks, then have a meal in the evenings. One of our best memories from DLP last year was a character meal in Cafe Mickey, so something similar to this would be great. where is best for this? Preferably an evening meal. And how do I go about booking it?

Christmas/New Years
I'm concerned that we are going at the busiest time..but circumstances dictate that this is how things will be now (ds starts school in September). I wonder, is it wisest to try to book someplace to eat on Christmas day before we go, or do you think/know that we can still get food on the hop...not necessarily in the parks, prob offsite as we're staying offsite.

Shows?
At DLP last year we cuaght The Legend of the Lion King and DS was enraptured, he adored it and we'd love to know if there are similar things at WDW. If so, is it the same situation where you just queue to go in, or do you have to prebook/pay extra?

I have that fab map from mapman. I have the Brit Guide. I have the 'Unofficial guide' (which has done my head in completely!) and I still feel like I am going round in circles.

What makes it harder is that we live in Germany and the brochures etc are in German. My limited German skills can't make much out to be honest, I'm getting stressed already. It seems you guys plan your trips months, YEARS in advance and I feel totally unprepared.:worried:

Can anyone give me some useful tips on what is a 'must do' and what could be left if time is running out? We've discounted KSC as feel DS is too young. May discount Busche Gardens as it is a way out, would sooner bypass there and go to the beach at Clearwater if we were going that way.
We live close to one of Germany's biggest theme parks so rides and things are less important, for us we'd like to soak up the Disney ambience at an enjoyable pace.

I'm so sorry if these are repeating what I've already asked or what others have, but as I said I am so confused now I am getting upset!

Here's my thoughts.:idea:

Go for the 14 day WDW UK pass - allows hopping & water parks.

Allow 2 days for each park - 1 day SW & 1 day water park.

Book a character breakfast at MK - such as CP for 8am to have an early start 1 day.

Book CM at the CR for a character tea.

Not sure where you are staying - but Christmas is very busy. If you plan to go in a park - go early (you can always come out). If you are eating at WDW on Xmas day - then book 180 days in advance.

The day by day plans can then be sorted.

Simple :rotfl:

We will also be there this Christmas - but are going on the 11th so hope to get our rides done hopefully before the Xmas crowds & then just enjoy the parks and shows.:)

First of all take a step back, take a deep breath and relax - it's a holiday and doesn't have to be perfect :hug:

For Disney tickets it sounds like your best option is a 14 day Ultimate ticket.

For character meal you could book Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort hotel. You can book it 180 days before you want to eat there.

Festival of The Lion King is on a few times a day at Animal Kingdom and yes you can just turn up.

You will definitely need to book somewhere for Christmas Day before you go but I couldn't tell you where.

You are going to a special place and I promise your holiday WILL be special no matter what.

The others seem to have covered the ticket question so I won't bother with that. As far as Sea World goes, you are correct. If your husband is active military, he can show his ID card at a special window just outside the entrance (Here's to the Heroes is how it's signposted) and he and immediate family can gain free entrance. This can only be used once per year at one participating park, though, so you could only use it at Sea World OR Busch Gardens, not both.

Here is a link to the website for further information. If you select a state from the drop-down list, you can also fill in the form in advance of your visit and take it with you.

http://www.herosalute.com/cavatx/eligibility.html

hi ya

i dont have advise for you as i am going on my first ever trip in september,
but i bought the 14 day ticket i thought about getting the 7 day one but theres so little price differnce i went with the 14 day one.

ive booked just a couple 3 i think character meals, and like you plan on filling up on the free breakfast at the hotel (also staying off site)

when i first started planning ialso felt sick with all the planning, reading the books it made me feel like going into the park was a competition, you know get set ready go, in a mad panic to get round the parks asap and get to the finnish line.

since then and with a little help from here ive mellowed out a bit, but im sure at the time comes closer ill worry again, but its a holiday im going to relieve stress not create it

Worrying about trying to fit everything in can drive you mad! :eek: Can I suggest writing down the names of the parks you most want to visit, then using the Brits guide etc, write down all the attractions you want to see at each park. I found that helped as a first-timer, once we had done our 'must see' attractions we could relax and enjoy the parks without feeling as though we had missed out. :)

Also, if I remember rightly, the (Disney) water parks close earlier so there is plenty of time to hop to another park for a few hours.

I am sure you will get plenty of great advice from the boards, whatever your holiday plan is like you will have a fantastic time :thumbsup2

Milomummy you don't say where you are staying? Will you have a car? The Crossroads at Lake Buena Vista is 5 mins from the Marketplace,it has a whole host of eateries to choose from so this could be an option if you can't get in at WDW. You don't book a table at WDW you book priority seating & they will give you a time to turn up. I agree with everyone else,the 14 day Ultimate is the way to go,you will need to buy from a UK site-www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk ,I can recommend as we have used them twice. Mapleleaf are good if you want something different from 5 or 7 day tickets offered to the UK.
I would go to US,I can assure you that it will be nothing like the German themepark! I lived not far from the one at Soltau & visited Alton Towers before I ever went to WDW & they don't even come close! MIB,Jaws,Mummy & Shrek are worth the admission themselves.Although I like IOA & the rides are good,the theming isn't as good as others. Seaworld is good & the rides & shows are excellent,as much as I like BG,I would leave it out on a 13/14 day trip & maybe visit next time!
Don't put too much pressure on yourself to make the perfect holiday,our first trip with DS (3 at the time) if you'd asked him what his most memorable part of the holiday was,it would have been the pool at the Hotel!
SD:thumbsup2

if its your first time, tourguidemike is well worth investing in, for £12 he will do the "day to day" planning for you, ie which ride 1st etc.
he will also fill you in on all the good and bad things do, a great investment.
the people on here are v friendly, and reading other peoples posts help you learn "silly" little things ie if i have just learnt to get tall not fat mug at resort:thumbsup2
just remember we all have different opinions on things, thats why this place is great, everyone else allowed to express their opinion, with no hostilities.
I love the dis...
tracy

Don't worry you will be fine and have a fantastic holiday.

The first time we went back in 1996 in February for two weeks over the half term break we DIDN't plan at all and still managed to do everything we wanted to do at the Disney, Universal, Sea World, Cypress Gardens, Gatorland parks. This was also arriving at the parks well after opening hours and when the parks closed a lot earlier than they do in the summer. We all had a fantastic time.

Since then we have gradually started planning more and homing in on exactly what we want to do in each park. First time we wanted to do everything, second time what we liked best and anything else as a bonus.

I think buying the Ultimate 14 day ticket will be your best option. Going in December may be a bit cold for water parks (I know sometimes in Feb in was a bit cold waiting to go down slides and stuff).

As a general rule of thumb if you can get to the parks early ie before opening time you will find it easier to get more done and face shorter lines. We do this in July/August which are busy times and often have everything we want to do done by 12 pm. The crowds seem to come in at about 10.30 onwards and lines get considerably longer so if you can get to the park early you are already quite a way into the park before the main crowds hit.

The other important thing I have learnt is to allow some relaxation in the day whether it is back at the hotel or visiting a water park. The first few years we were out at 7 am and back at 11 pm but then we discovered by chance how nice it was just to relax in the pool for a couple of hours. Since then we have always allowed for some relaxation time and it is amazing how this helps to perk up the batteries. However, we usually go in the summer so do have the opportunity to come out of a park, have a rest and go back into a park because of the later opening hours. I am not sure what the opening hours are like in December. If they shut at 6 pm I would recommend just staying in the parks till then, have a relax by the hotel pool (weather permitting) then have a nice meal and a round of mini golf.

Please do not panic, we all tend to plan here but it is not necessary and you will enjoy the experience.:)

Sorry, I don't understand this?

Everyone else, thanks so much for your help. We are staying in Best Western Lakeside, and yes we do have a car.

I will look on that attraction tickets website, I think a 14 day ultimate sounds like the way to go.

Sorry, I don't understand this?

Everyone else, thanks so much for your help. We are staying in Best Western Lakeside, and yes we do have a car.

I will look on that attraction tickets website, I think a 14 day ultimate sounds like the way to go.

Make sure you get to know Serberth road, stayed at BW lakeside 3 times, used to be called Sheraton Lakeside then La Quinta Lakeside before BW. Sherberth road can save you a lot of time cutting out World Drive, it takes you into Disney right next to Animal Kingdom, just 5 mins from hotel.
Look at this map your hotel is right next to Black Lake(little gator in there last time we stayed) opp Formosa Gardens Blvd.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.341705,-81.58812&spn=0.021983,0.046864&z=15
You can look at the map as a traditional map or click on satellite to see actual photo views.
This is a view of your hotel and lake next to it. You can see the 3 pools and Walgreens front centre.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.341219,-81.595507&spn=0.002748,0.005858&t=h&z=18

If I can offer any advice it would be don't panic. You have plenty of time to gather all the info you require right here on these message boards. Just check into any subject that interests you and ask any specific questions you might have. I think you will find that any question you could possibly think of will appear here with replies though. I have acquired so much info and tips from the experiences of other Disers.

We use attraction tickets direct, the beauty of which is that they will price match any better offer.

There are so many fantastic shows to see (Lion King at WDW is completely different to Paris btw) and if you were to press me I would say "Fantasmic" is my favourite.

We like the Crystal Palace character breakfast but for dining and anything else you should devour the information available on the disboards, take your time and decide what suits you and your family.

The bottom line is that you can't really go wrong - you will have a wonderful holiday like no other, no matter what you do.

2 years ago we went for the week before Christmas and it was still quite quiet. The only day we really noticed crowds was Christmas Eve. Check out the park opening times on the Disney website before you go and get into the Parks early if you can. And use the fastpass machines (although check the return times on them first!)

The wdwinfo website has a cool dining search tool which will give you a list of all the character meals available. The Unofficial Guide also has a good list of meals, complete with which characters are found at each. We have always found that snacking in the parks is fairly easy. If you want to skip the lines at the counter service places try eating half an hour early or a bit later than everyone else.

If your DS likes shows check out Fantasmic at the Studios (the evening show). It is amazing, but in winter sit far enough back to avoid the mist from the water screens (it gets a bit chilly at night). Each of the parks has a show or two and all are worth a visit. All the shows in the parks are free, the Dinner shows in the hotels etc are extra.

If you are there during Christmas week there will be the Christmas shows too in the Magic Kingdom. All very cute. Generally the Christmas extras are cool. We particularly enjoyed the Osbourne Family Christmas lights at the studios.

Just remember to take things gently, and take time to enjoy the little things. The carol singers on Main Street, and the snoap for example are great, but can be easily missed.

Milia :)

HI Milomummy

We used askdaisy last year for a personal plan which was excellant use of time. I think it cost about £20 (if you use a password within the Brits guide to Florida) and well worth the money. Just liek tourguidemike I imagine it gave us a ride by ride suggestion adn we mixed and matched days depending on weather (even gave a wet weatehr option). You key in your famlilies details ie ages and likes and dislikes, what tickets you have bought or are intending to buy and they sort out the rest - brilliant :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone, my mind is a lot more at ease now!
I've been and paid the deposit at the travel agents this week, he is very excited to hear about my special mapman map so I have to take it in to show him, think he's gonna order some in for the shop!
I think I have realised that we won't be able to 'do' everything this time round, so we're concentrating on just Disney...a couple of days in each park, and a day at sea world as DS desperately wants to see the whale show.
I'm sure there'll be other visits where we can cram more in but this time we're definitely taking it easy.
Thanks again:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter