Can a I have a POP review?

shopn24seven

DIS Veteran
As my name implies, I am shopping for ANOTHER trip in 09 and I
haven't evn taken my 08 trip, yet.
AM I PATHETIC?:lmao:

Anyway, I have a room booked for Xmas at CBR and am CONSIDERING a middle August 09 (to take advantage of lower rates and HOPEFULLY a FD or % off rate) at POP. We stayed at ASMovies and I wasn't that impressed.
Seemed small and we had to walk and walk and walk to the food court, but I did have a pack-n-play at the time. Although this time, it would only be that baby and me. Dh, sadly passed last year. :sad:

I see so many people staying there that I thought I should inquire. =)

So sorry to hear about your DH....:grouphug:

We just got back from POP and had a great trip. Everything from check in to the busses was great! It is bigger than the All stars. We stayed there b/c the kids and my DM liked it better than ASMu.

The first year we went it was a long check in process due to crowds this time timing was great as there wasn't any line.

Food court was good too. Lots of choices so you wouldnt have to eat anything more than once.

The only thing I liked better at ASMu was that they showed movies at the pool at night and they always seemed to have CM's dancing at the pool teaching moves to the kids!

Have fun!

Check out the POP thread it is very informative.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. We stayed at POP last December and really enjoyed it. We had previously stayed at Movies and it was ok too. My daughter was nine then, just like yours is, and she thought it was pretty cool :cool1: . The only thing is that the room of course is small, but that didn't bother us because we don't hang out in the room except to sleep. I thought the food court had a lot more choices than Movies and I also thought the bus situation was better because you don't share buses with any other resort and there is only one stop at POP. We would definitely stay there again. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or as the previous poster said, the POP thread is very informative. Have fun on both of your trips!

My sympathy to you on the passing of your DH. We have stayed at POP twice and love it. We've stayed at mods and deluxes on our first four visits and took the plunge and stayed at POP in 07 and also this year. As far as I'm concerned you can't beat it. We love the theming. Classic Hall is great as it has a great selection of food options IMO. We never have had a problem with the buses. Although both times we stayed there it was February and the crowds were lighter. We stayed in the 70's section and it was a short walk to the buses and Classic Hall. I really can't think of anything negative to say. As we are park commandos we really don't need to spend a ton of $$ on a room we aren't in. Hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Happy Planning.

Lynn

Here's my take...I own DVC at BWV and stay there as much as my 'points' allow. Sometimes I get a great deal at the S/D and stay there. I have stayed at POR (DxL), AllStarMusic, CR, Polynesian, BC, POP, BW. I just stayed at POP in early Sept...my dh hated it the first time we stayed there, so when it was just my dd and I going in Sept, I booked POP because we both love it. Then, dh decided he didn't want to miss any of the fun, so he went with us. Guess what?? He decided he liked POP, after all. I just returned from a solo trip a week ago. I stayed at the Swan and then moved to BCV. While at BCV, I booked a bounceback stay for next Sept. Where?? POP!!
I love POP. It's bright, colorful and fun. It looks spread out but it really isn't. I have had the best housekeeping there! The food court is good, not great but we're not looking for haute cuisine!!! The bus service is wonderful..they do a good job of moving a ton of people around.
I really can't come up with a negative about POP. In fact, when I took my 32 y/o dd to WDW for her first time ever last Jan, we stayed at POP for the first two nights. She loved it!! She love it so much that when we moved over to a one bedroom villa at BWV, she was a bit disappointed!!! Can you believe it?? She actually liked POP better than BWV!!! She told me that BW was beautiful and the villa was wonderful but she just loved the 'aliveness' of POP!!

POP has a great food court, it's newer than the other values and the buses are great. I suggest staying in the 70s so you aren't so far away from everything.

It is great to hear such wonderful reviews of POP. We were originally booked at POFQ for our Nov trip but due to finances we decided we either had to downgrade or cancel. Based on everthing I have read, it looks like we may have actually upgraded. I am so excited and can't wait for our trip. 35 Days to go, Yipee :banana: :banana:

Thanks, fellow Mouse Lovers...
I had no idea POP was so AWESOME.
I may stay there in August, if FREE Dining or a Discount stay is offered.

I knew it must be nice, I kept seeing POP all over the boards. :goodvibes

P.S. Thanks for all the HUGS for my dh. =)

I would check out the POP FAQ thread. I stayed there 2 years ago and we had a great stay. I really like Pop's food court and I would stay there again.
So sorry about your DH

All I can say is WOW.
My dd would just LOVE this facility.
Wish they had openings for xmas.
We are staying at CBR, but I will check to see if any openings pop up. LOL

We stayed at POP in August and loved it, the only bad thing is they had to close the Hippy Dippy Pool several times a day to clean the pool due to parents not wearing swim diapers on their kids. If they could control this, It would be great.

We just got back from Pop Century and we loved it. Both my DH and I were surprised at how much we liked it. It's great for kids. We never had a problem with buses or the food court. We were in the 50's building with a lake view. Our room was just far enough away to be quiet and it still didn't take us too long to get to anything.

I keep looking at all the pix on the POP photo page and I am so impressed.
I would have never thought it was as nice as it looks.

If they offer FD or reduced rack rates, I am so THERE.

Which ERA is best? I heard someone had a 70's room. I think I would have a BALL there. :lmao:

OP, I am so sorry about your DH.
We were at POP a few weeks ago for our very first trip to WDW and we loved it. If we ever go back I'd stay at POP again in a heartbeat. We were in the 50's and we were maybe a minute from the flower or the bowling pin pool and maybe 2 minutes from the busses. Everything was an easy walk, the busses were frequent and serve only POP. It wasn't the least bit overwhelming & everything was a pleasure...remember, this is coming from first time visitors. My son is 4/12 and he LOVED it! The theming, the giant icons, everything was great. The rooms were hotel rooms, same as anywhere and the beds are full size (don't know if that's an issue for you but it wasn't for us).

Go & have fun!

I liked the theming of POP, the dedicated buses, and the friendliness of the CM's. It looks big but it's easy to get around. I loved the food court, they had good fresh food. We stayed in the 70's section, but if we go back I would like to try the 50's or 60's. The cool thing about the 70's section was the disco ball with music playing. Oh, and the store is really huge with a lot of variety!

The room was small but well laid out, and we all fit in there nicely. I used a twin sized air mattress for my youngest, and we still had room. The beds had new mattresses on them, and were very comfy. The only thing I didn't like about POP was the lack of greenery. After stays at AKL and POR with their lush tropical landscaping I found POP to be a little too bare for me. Personal taste, that's all! :)

If it is just you with a baby, FD is not a big discount. You might want to consider buy non exp tickets or annual pass and rent DVC points especially for week days. You can buy the dinning plan for yourself for under $40 a day. We are DVC members. We stayed at POP for the first time for FD. It was a huge discount for us since we are 4 adults on the Dinning plan. We like POP and booked the BB FD offer there. But if it is just me with a child, I'd like to be at the Beach Club or Boardwalk.

the *baby* is 9, now. EAT, she can eat. Every time I turn around, it seems.
She isn't a large girl, but she can EAT. LOL.

I stayed at POP in June of '08 and was not that impressed. I like the resort, but did not fall in love with it. Something about hearing Alanis Morissette walking out of the hotel heading to the buses does not put me in the "Wish Upon a Star" kind of mood. Good transportation though.

We stayed at POP last year, and enjoyed our stay so much that we're staying there again this year. (Yes, it's kinda unprecedented that we're going 2 years in a row.....we usually go every 3 to 4 years) It's a fun resort, geared toward FAMILIES. Something that everyone can enjoy. It certainly gets my recommendation.

We stayed at POP in August, 2008 and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. We didn't request a certain building, because we went that route when we stayed at POR and were disappointed when our request wasn't met. Anyway, we were in connecting rooms in the 50s Building, behind the Jukebox near the bowling pin pool. We had a blast!

Be warned that the food court can get a little crazy, especially at peak breakfast times, but the food is pretty good (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I was glad that I was warned about the food court, because it was definitely CRAZY at peak breakfast times, but quiet most any other time.

Mousekeeping was WONDERFUL -- no issues at all!! We loved it so much that we booked a bounceback for free dining in August, 2009! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter