Camping With Pets (I am prepared to be flamed)

Magic Fanatic

Mouseketeer
Yesterday I returned from my 8 night stay at the Fort that cost my family and I $4,790 (dining plan, park hopper with water park).

Let me say I like dogs, don't presently have one now but have had a few over the years and even spent time in the Air Force as a dog handler...so again, to be clear, I have nothing against dogs.

I do actually dispise a lot of dog owners. Especially the ones that get up at 6:30 am and put their dog on a dog run outside their camper and go back inside and back to bed (I guess) with no regard to those of us 20 feet away in our own camper still trying to sleep. You know who you are loop 400!! Yes, your dog was loud and annoying.

It was also an unexpected surprise to find the piles of poop around our site that others left while walking their dogs. That was very Magical, thanks for that!

Then there was the motorhome 3 spots down where the dogs (yes plural) barked all day locked inside while their owners spent the days in the park. I'm sure the retired couple next door to you enjoyed a week of barking at a cost of $130 per day.

I get it, people love their animals, I have no problem with that, but why ruin the experience of others just because you don't want find someone to care for your dog back home.

And before someone says "you should have picked a pet free loop", I did. This is where we were assigned.

Okay, my rant is complete. Fire at will!

Did you complain to Management, Fanatic?

Bama Ed

I'm surprised Disney would allow this. I'm taking my dog camping next month and we'll be staying at a KOA campground. Their website has a clear set of rules including that barking dogs will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave with no refund if it continues. You also have to pick up after your pet, and dogs may not be left alone at all. I would think FW would have similar rules.

I can't imagine leaving them all day in an rv for vacation. I would leave them at home. Even at home I run outside and keep them from barking. And they are barking at stupid squirrels.

I made a call after the second day of the 6:30 am event, but after that I did not. I was just surprised to see all of these different occurances in just one loop. So many (not all) people are just incredibly inconsiderate today.

Fort Wilderness *does* have rules against leaving dogs tied outside unattended, leaving dogs alone in campers when they bark and leaving dog poop on the ground. Every campground I've stayed in has the same rules. Sadly I've never seen one enforce the rules.

Well, nobody can tell you "You should have picked a pet free loop". These are not guarranteed, as you noted. Even if you get a spot on a pet free loop you still can have a barking neighbor.

This boils down to inconsiderate people, period. I love my jack russell, but I don't bring her to Disney. For one thing she gets spoiled by my parents, the other is that she hates squirrels. This can be dangerous at the Fort.

Well I love dogs and have two. One Shepherd and a Yorkie. I take them camping but won't bring them to Disney. I feel we spend too much time in the parks to leave them locked up in the camper. I hate irresponsible owners and have had run ins with people at campgrounds. The last time was a person allowing their dog to run loose like they were at home. He would poo anywhere and mark all our tires. They were just rude people in general. Their parents were on the other side of us and they would just walk right through our camp going back and forth. The wife finally had words with them so they tired up the dog and he yelped continuously until the grandparents made them take the dog home.

Ugh! Some people give us (dog owners) a bad name. We've had the same experiences. We just hoped they left before us so we could have a few days of vacation in peace.

We had our Yellow Lab at the Fort one year with us (2012). We took him to the kennel (Best Friends Pet Care) on those days that were LONG. On the other days that we were going back to the camper early or frequently, we left him in the Air Conditioned camper. He is a good dog and only "Complains" briefly as we leave but then settles right down. We don't let him run free outside. We have let him out on his "Run" (Even at the campground). He does his business, and one bark (at the door) and we let him in. Usually, I would stay out with him. Even though he would do his business on our site, I would immediately clean it up and dispose of it. I don't want others to deal with it and I certainly don't want to accidentally step in it myself.

If you are going to have a pet you need to love your pet and take care of it. Part of that is cleaning up after them. It's just like a baby. You don't just take their diaper off and let it lay? You dispose of it (and the mess) appropriately.

One of my favorite sayings... "The more I meet people, the more I like my dog." As you point out, it's not the animals fault. Most of them are doing what is instinctive. It's the animal owners faults.

While we love our animals, on subsequent trips we have not brought them. It is a lot of work and a big responsibility and as you also point out, it's a lot of money to take these trips and we want to enjoy them. Since WDW doesn't allow pets in the park, it's better that we make other accommodations for our fury friends.

So in my mind, you are free to continue your rant. I am sure you have the support of many (Responsible) pet owners.

We were at Disney in December 2014, the long park days, just boarded the yorkie at Best Friends, had it planned in the budget for the trip. Part of being a pet owner. It burns me the people that don't pick up after their pets, again, part of being a pet owner.

First you are right, the tone in your post does want to cause someone to flame on. You claim to love dogs and yet the few things dogs do by nature is what you have a problem with. Just remember, dogs bark, kids scream and mosquitos don't go on vacation just because you are.

The owners not picking up after their pets infuriate me as well as a pet owner as well. You are not alone at that, but maybe its the time of year that I go to the fort but I have seldom found piles left behind by owners. I bring my pups on every RV trip I take, its part of the reason I enjoy RVing so I don't have to leave them locked in a cell (boarding) or leave them behind. I will not change that and if the big D no longer allows it they just wont get much of my money.

If you have a neighbor with a noisy dog or dogs, the best way is to let them know. It does not hurt you to take initiative, sometimes they are not aware. My minpin when I first rescued her seemed to settle down shortly after I left the RV. But a nearby neighbor said she would for about an hour and then bark non stop for about 2-3 hours. Knowing this I was able to work with my little rescue to get her to settle and stay settled. Of course if a random soccer ball hits my RV and gets her wound up (and it has) there is little I can do.

The pet owner leaving their dog tied out at 6:30 in the morning, again a polite request can go a long way. My last trip there I was next to a family of 5 that wanted to hit rope drop every morning. When I am on vacation I sleep in till 7-8am. However, the first two days I was awoken by the parents trying to wrangle 3 young children at 6:30 in the morning to get on the move to make rope drop. Then by chance while waking the dogs I got talking to the mother and mentioned the large amount of noise and car doors slamming. I was considerate and understanding but asked if they could think of a better way to get going that does not involve all the door slamming (which wakes the dogs and then its time to dress and walk them.) They changed their strategy a little and packed everything the night before. The next morning I never heard them head to the park nor did my pups.

The rest of the trip next to them was enjoyable and we had a few good conversations before they had to head home. Unless you boondock far away from others, an RV park is no different then a hotel. You are going to have to take some initiative and have some patience to enjoy the trip. And that goes for Disney or any other location no matter what the expense.

Yesterday I returned from my 8 night stay at the Fort that cost my family and I $4,790 (dining plan, park hopper with water park).

Let me say I like dogs, don't presently have one now but have had a few over the years and even spent time in the Air Force as a dog handler...so again, to be clear, I have nothing against dogs.

I do actually dispise a lot of dog owners. Especially the ones that get up at 6:30 am and put their dog on a dog run outside their camper and go back inside and back to bed (I guess) with no regard to those of us 20 feet away in our own camper still trying to sleep. You know who you are loop 400!! Yes, your dog was loud and annoying.

It was also an unexpected surprise to find the piles of poop around our site that others left while walking their dogs. That was very Magical, thanks for that!

Then there was the motorhome 3 spots down where the dogs (yes plural) barked all day locked inside while their owners spent the days in the park. I'm sure the retired couple next door to you enjoyed a week of barking at a cost of $130 per day.

I get it, people love their animals, I have no problem with that, but why ruin the experience of others just because you don't want find someone to care for your dog back home.

And before someone says "you should have picked a pet free loop", I did. This is where we were assigned.

Okay, my rant is complete. Fire at will!

Sorry about your less than ideal stay at FW because of inconsiderate people. We, too, like dogs, but at this time don't own any, as we travel a lot and do not want to bring a dog with us.

We have had problems only once in loop 100 where 2 campers brought in large dogs and they were a big issue. One of them did a sneaky and did not say they had a dog - the other was put there with the understanding that they would board the dog during the day. Neither complied with the rules. I called the Outpost and they immediately dealt with the problem - came back and told us - and we had no more issues. Said if there were any more problems, just let them know. We were very satisfied with their response.

You will get no flames from us, only much understanding, and in your case we would have been 'permanent fixtures' at the Outpost until the issue was taken care of!! Really do not understand people bringing their dogs to FW when they are gone all day - doesn't seem very kind to leave them in such a small area alone all day.

Disney 'could' enforce their rules better as we have been at many other campgrounds where they do!

Sorry, jbrostek, just because it's what dogs 'or' kids do naturally, it definitely does not mean you are supposed to let them impact the lives of others negatively - that's why parents are supposed to 'train' their children to fit into society - also dogs!! Disney will 'still' get their money if they enforce the rules - remember they used to not even allow pets???? The ones that don't want to comply will not be missed!

Last edited:
First you are right, the tone in your post does want to cause someone to flame on. You claim to love dogs and yet the few things dogs do by nature is what you have a problem with. Just remember, dogs bark, kids scream and mosquitos don't go on vacation just because you are.

The owners not picking up after their pets infuriate me as well as a pet owner as well. You are not alone at that, but maybe its the time of year that I go to the fort but I have seldom found piles left behind by owners. I bring my pups on every RV trip I take, its part of the reason I enjoy RVing so I don't have to leave them locked in a cell (boarding) or leave them behind. I will not change that and if the big D no longer allows it they just wont get much of my money.

If you have a neighbor with a noisy dog or dogs, the best way is to let them know. It does not hurt you to take initiative, sometimes they are not aware. My minpin when I first rescued her seemed to settle down shortly after I left the RV. But a nearby neighbor said she would for about an hour and then bark non stop for about 2-3 hours. Knowing this I was able to work with my little rescue to get her to settle and stay settled. Of course if a random soccer ball hits my RV and gets her wound up (and it has) there is little I can do.

The pet owner leaving their dog tied out at 6:30 in the morning, again a polite request can go a long way. My last trip there I was next to a family of 5 that wanted to hit rope drop every morning. When I am on vacation I sleep in till 7-8am. However, the first two days I was awoken by the parents trying to wrangle 3 young children at 6:30 in the morning to get on the move to make rope drop. Then by chance while waking the dogs I got talking to the mother and mentioned the large amount of noise and car doors slamming. I was considerate and understanding but asked if they could think of a better way to get going that does not involve all the door slamming (which wakes the dogs and then its time to dress and walk them.) They changed their strategy a little and packed everything the night before. The next morning I never heard them head to the park nor did my pups.

The rest of the trip next to them was enjoyable and we had a few good conversations before they had to head home. Unless you boondock far away from others, an RV park is no different then a hotel. You are going to have to take some initiative and have some patience to enjoy the trip. And that goes for Disney or any other location no matter what the expense.

I don't think that OP (or anyone) should have to confront and enforce rules on their vacation. 1) People should be more considerate 2) Disney should enforce the rules and 3) A polite request that lead to an altercation, some people are crazy

Really do not understand people bringing their dogs to FW when they are gone all day - doesn't seem very kind to leave them in such a small area alone all day.

I can understand this. Many RV's//TT's are good size. Even though I have a larger dog, there is plenty of room in our TT for him as when we are gone he sleeps on our queen size bed. Even at home, when we are gone, he thinks he's a cat and sleeps on the back of our Love Seat (by back I mean the back rest of the love seat). So space is really not an issue. Even in a kennel, they get much less space.

As for being alone all day, even at home, my wife and I both work, and the kids are at school all day. So as a matter of course our dog is home alone for 6 - 8 hours every weekday with the occasional 9 - 11 hours. While we don't like to leave him that long, sometimes it happens. So whether at home or the camper, I don't see much of a difference.

When we return, (either from the parks at WDW or Work at Home) he is just as happy to see us. When we pick him up from the kennel (when we do use it) he seems even HAPPIER to be back.

Still we have come to the conclusion that it's often better for him to stay with Grandma and Grandpa as they take good care of him and spoil him (horribly). That's our case, and I am sure it's not the same for all. Whatever the situation, you still should be mindful of your pet and do the right thing for your particular case.

As for being alone all day, even at home, my wife and I both work, and the kids are at school all day. So as a matter of course our dog is home alone for 6 - 8 hours every weekday with the occasional 9 - 11 hours. While we don't like to leave him that long, sometimes it happens. So whether at home or the camper, I don't see much of a difference.

Whatever the situation, you still should be mindful of your pet and do the right thing for your particular case.

Of course, there are exceptions - older dogs, or those that are used to being alone during the day and are well adjusted. I'm talking about the ones that obviously are not 'well adjusted' and trained - like the ones that have been allowed to have barking issues, 'owner' potty issues, and disrupt other people's lives.

That's too bad. We were there in April and no problems with the other dogs, didn't notice bad barking or dog doo around. We brought our Yorkie (16) and our new Bichon (which we inherited when my mom passed). Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with someone to watch their pets, and one of the main reasons we got an RV was to able to take them so we can go on a vacation, and always spend time with them. There have been a couple times we boarded our 5 lb Yorkie when she was younger, and in one week she lost 2 lbs, this is not good when you are only 5 lbs to begin with. Do like the Disney day care which she did a couple times but again she cried and shook the whole time, wouldn't eat, etc. On the other hand I think our Bichon would do fine. I do think the doggie daycare there is a great option for others. So we just don't spend very long days at the parks, or at least come back for an afternoon break.

Last edited:
Sorry, jbrostek, just because it's what dogs 'or' kids do naturally, it definitely does not mean you are supposed to let them impact the lives of others negatively - that's why parents are supposed to 'train' their children to fit into society - also dogs!! Disney will 'still' get their money if they enforce the rules - remember they used to not even allow pets???? The ones that don't want to comply will not be missed!

Oh I am well aware of being a good pet owner and/or parent that kids and dogs should have no negative impact others lives. But to what degree is that required? Should all kids be quiet at all times and all dogs never bark? Depending on who you ask the answer is yes to one or both. What I was pointing out is that there has to be some tolerance as much as the owners and Parents, but some go unaware if you say nothing and just stew about it.

Traveling with pets is a personal choice, I care for them at Disney or any other destination as much as I do at home. Actually, being on Disney campus they see me more then they would if I where to have to stay outside Disney due to ease of access. I hope the few do not ruin it for the many, but if they do then I will gladly take my money elsewhere if it where to happen. I would rather my pets be with me then to leave them in a strange cage with strangers instead of keeping them on their normal schedules and having their bonded humans around.

To be clear again, I never said you had to tolerate the piles and I don't one bit. I also sense that it may have been embellished like many fish stories. I am sure not all pet owners clean up as they should, and it may be the time of the year that I visit. Yet, I seldom see piles left behind and even the few that are it seems other owners take care of it or FW staff does. Sure you could step in one, but I also hear the same stories at other parks I have been to that allow pets yet never seem to have close to the same experience as them.

Sure you can have a bad neighbor, but if you know who it is say something politely. If that does not work, go talk to staff. You should have not have tolerate it, but also know that sometimes people are seriously unaware.

As it has been said, dogs are doing what they do naturally, or are taught. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners!

We will be there in a month and I can promise, you would not have this happen with our family. These type of things should not be happening, it is rude and disrespectful. I do not leave my dog out alone, let him continually bark, and I definitely clean up after him. I do not feel it is right to do so and you need to respect your neighbors. Rudeness does not go over well with me. My family (11 year old son included) show respect for those around us. Maybe if more people did, this would be a better place to live.

I am borrowing from Rusty Scupper in how I respond to you;

1. I never "claimed to love dogs", your words, not mine. I said I like dogs, I love my wife and kids.

2. Happy you did not encounter piles, good for you. Unfortunately I did, sorry I did not think to document with photo's.

3. I should not have to get out of bed, get dressed and go outside to tell someone their barking dog is a disturbance, I would expect that a responsible dog owner (such as yourself) would figure that out on their own.

4. "A polite request can go a long way", great advice. May I take that one step further and say, "a polite neighbor can go even further?"

5. "An RV park is no different then a hotel", not following this at all. There are rules that are posted, there is a fee that is charged and in return I get a place to sleep. Sounds exactly like a hotel!

6. Thank you for not telling me to request a pet free loop, you took that lowing hanging curve ball and hit it right out of the park. You suggested I boondocks far away from others. Nice!

7. My original post was respectful of responsible dog owners and I reasonably, described my experience. Out of 18 responses, you are the only one that chose to turn this around back to me. You come off as very defensive. Wait, wait, wait!! You were not by any chance camping in the 400 loop at Ft Wilderness last week, were you? That could explain your response.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter