Camping With Pets (I am prepared to be flamed)

If it bothered me that much I probably would have demanded to be moved. I would have learned to demand a pet free loop and not accept otherwise. It's camping, and campers have pets. Anyone saying not to expect them or I won't bring mine with a judgmental air is silly also. But I always HOPE for etiquette in all ways with campers when I camp and I like to do the same, whether it be with dogs, with loud noise, etc. I wasn't all that happy about the people that came in with 2 cars and 2 large tents, close to 10 people, constantly running through the back of our site either. There were a lot of kids there, kids make noise. The adults were even louder. Luckily for us they were only there for 2 nights and may have considered asking to move if they were there longer as we were there for 11 days. But sometimes you can choose to let things bother you also and there are other options instead of letting it fester and ruin a trip.

Last edited:
If it bothered me that much I probably would have demanded to be moved. I would have learned to demand a pet free loop and not accept otherwise.
I'm sorry, but unless your last name is "Iger", I don't believe demanding anything is going to get you anywhere at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter). I would not expect to call and demand to reserve room 407 at the Wilderness Lodge, so I don't feel demanding a specific site or loop is any more reasonable, all we can do is request. I did call and state my problem and had I pushed the issue I am sure they would have moved me. With that said, after unpacking and setting up our motorhome, to pack up and move to another site is a real pain in the a&@ and just more time away from the vacation I spent all this money on.

I'm sorry, but unless your last name is "Iger", I don't believe demanding anything is going to get you anywhere at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter). I would not expect to call and demand to reserve room 407 at the Wilderness Lodge, so I don't feel demanding a specific site or loop is any more reasonable, all we can do is request. I did call and state my problem and had I pushed the issue I am sure they would have moved me. With that said, after unpacking and setting up our motorhome, to pack up and move to another site is a real pain in the a&@ and just more time away from the vacation I spent all this money on.

.....just not worth the points.....:wave2:

I have 3 dogs. 2 of them I would not take camping anywhere. They are not camping dogs by any stretch of the imagination. The other is a Jack-Chi that we have brought camping. I would not tie him up and leave outside because he would bark at every squirrel he saw. We have not brought him to FW and there is no plan to. On the other trips we take him we rarely leave him in the pop-up for more than 4-5 hours. I don't believe he barks once we leave because he does not begin barking until we get to the door. He then stops once we open it and he can see us. I assume he does not bark the rest of the time however as the old saying goes "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around doe sit make a sound"? I really don't know because I am not there. I do know that if we can sneak in he is normally doing what he does all day when we are there. Sleeping.
I guess if I have a point it would be owners know your dogs. If your dogs are ones that you can take camping and not bother neighbors bring them, otherwise leave them at home, with a friend or in a kennel. I love my two other dogs but I know they are not camping dogs so I do not bring them.

Can someone remind me what the kennel charges there at Disney ?

Okay thanks. I thought I had read it was pretty expensive.

We always bring our boxer with us, last trip in January the camper next to us asked if she ever barked, he commented on how quiet she was. We werent always dog owners and before we got ours I hated it when people didnt clean up after their dogs. We NEVER leave the camper without a poop bag in our pockets, its part of the deal. We also dont leave our dog for more than 5-6 hrs in our trailer, more because its not fair to her than anything else. We frequently will double back to make sure she isnt barking or fussing, not once have we had a problem. Disney will actually try to enforce things if they are pressed, a motorhome in 1900 was forced to leave due to their dog barking the entire time they were gone, wasnt me that complained but I was going to if it went on a second day. I also had an elderly gentleman allow his dog to relieve himself on my trucks aluminum wheel while walking him, that didnt happen again after I skunked eyed him next time they came down our way, thats all it took.
I typically dont approach anyone about their disruptive behavior, its not my job to be the Disney po po while on vacation. With the advent of the Jerry Springer society you never know when some goofball will come unhinged. I let Disney handle it, its their job.
I do think your OP was well written and objective, I would have politely forced the issue with Disney and given them a chance to make the situation better.

I love dogs, I have 2 labs myself. I get why people want to take them on vacation, especially if you can be with them all day, take them for walks, etc. And generally the people I've seen at the Fort with dogs are long-timers there who aren't necessarily going to the parks, and are responsible with their dogs. But I don't get the ones you are describing....leaving them in the rv to go to the parks, not picking up after them, not keeping them quiet, etc. I never bring my dogs on vacation, even though it means an extra $400 to hire a live-in house sitter for while we are gone. It's the only way we vacation. I've got 5 kids....I don't need the extra work of the dogs on vacation. And I'm just that much happier to see them when we get home!!

I do agree with everyone though, none of what you are complaining about are the dogs' fault, it's the owner's fault. The dogs are just doing what they naturally do. Some dogs bark, it's what they do, but responsible dog owners would work with that, even if it meant leaving them home. If I had an easy going dog who was super quiet, I'd probably take him on vacation. My dog, until he got old and lazy, barked at everything. I'm not taking him to a place where that would get himand me in trouble.

I love dogs, I have 2 labs myself. I get why people want to take them on vacation, especially if you can be with them all day, take them for walks, etc. And generally the people I've seen at the Fort with dogs are long-timers there who aren't necessarily going to the parks, and are responsible with their dogs. But I don't get the ones you are describing....leaving them in the rv to go to the parks, not picking up after them, not keeping them quiet, etc. I never bring my dogs on vacation, even though it means an extra $400 to hire a live-in house sitter for while we are gone. It's the only way we vacation. I've got 5 kids....I don't need the extra work of the dogs on vacation. And I'm just that much happier to see them when we get home!!
We brought our Yellow Lab with us one year. He spent some time at the Kennel (Best Friends) and he was ok with it. We also had some days that were "Shorter" park days where he stayed in the camper. We loved having him with us, but it was a lot of work. With 4 of us and him (140# "LAP" dog) and making sure he gets enough exercise, and the travel (over 1000 miles) it was just challenging. We love him and it was nice to have him with us, but it's also not fair to keep him more "Cooped" up then he would be at home. We are fortunate that our In-Laws can watch him. They have a nice yard completely fenced in. (I know, I am the one that Fenced it in when we lived with them for 2 years), so we don't have to "Pay" for a live-in sitter or a kennel and our buddy gets lots of loving too.

As you say, however, it's a much happier reunion when we get back.

We try our level best to be in the dedicated pet loop (make reservations almost as soon as they become available and always request a pet loop, confirming this request several times before we leave) but 3/4 of the time we arrive to be told there are no spots available in the pet loop. I seriously doubt our dog is causing any problems, she's a very quiet 10 lb Shih Tzu who rarely leaves the camper, but on our last trip we had a motorhome with two VERY large, VERY loud, VERY intimidating Shar Peis next door. They were loud barking, growling, lunge-at-the leash types and the owner obviously had a difficult time controlling them. We have friends who are seriously afraid of dogs and those two would have been a major problem if our friends had been with us!

Jsmla,
wish I would have had my cat there. He hates agressive dogs and has been known to attack and seriously injure them. I had to pay a vet bill for my neighbors german shepherd about about 2 years ago. Needed a few stitches...bless his heart.

Maybe I should reconsider taking him to the Fort.

We are fortunate that our In-Laws can watch him. They have a nice yard completely fenced in. (I know, I am the one that Fenced it in when we lived with them for 2 years), so we don't have to "Pay" for a live-in sitter or a kennel and our buddy gets lots of loving too.

You are lucky. Although we have lots of friends and family, we don't have anyone we could leave ours with. And kenneling 2 large dogs for 3 weeks is just over $1000, so $350 for a housesitter is a bargain lol. Not to mention we're lucky to have some friends with respectful, responsible, handy, strong college age sons who stay in our home who will also mow if we need them to, and can handle anything that might come up in our absence, and they love dogs. I've told my husband that even after our dogs are gone (which sadly will be not much longer as they are both 14 years old) I don't think I could go off on our annual 3 week trips without a housesitter. It's just a huge weight off my mind.

We loved having him with us, but it was a lot of work. With 4 of us and him (140# "LAP" dog) and making sure he gets enough exercise, and the travel (over 1000 miles) it was just challenging. We love him and it was nice to have him with us, but it's also not fair to keep him more "Cooped" up then he would be at home.

That's exactly how we are with our dogs. It's 1100 miles for us too. We've taken them with us to the state park 5 minutes from our house, and it was a crazy amount of work with 5 young kids. And we were at the campsite the whole weekend, I couldn't imagine Disney or somewhere else where we'd want to be off doing things. Ours are just not those kinds of dogs.

You are lucky
You are right. I know it too. (Not to flaunt or brag). We feel very fortunate that we have this resource.

In my younger (and single) years, I had a friend that I would "House Sit" for and keep an eye on his dog when they were away. It's so much nicer to know your beloved pet has company, because although ours can do ok without us around, he really does like to have the company, as I am sure most pets are like.

on our last trip we had a motorhome with two VERY large, VERY loud, VERY intimidating Shar Peis next door. They were loud barking, growling, lunge-at-the leash types and the owner obviously had a difficult time controlling them. We have friends who are seriously afraid of dogs and those two would have been a major problem if our friends had been with us!

Something 'would' have had to be done if we were next door - no way we would endured that!! So inconsiderate, not to mention 'not allowed'! I am 'very' afraid of strange dogs.

Something 'would' have had to be done if we were next door - no way we would endured that!! So inconsiderate, not to mention 'not allowed'! I am 'very' afraid of strange dogs.
And that was the advice OP was told by multiple posters except the OP said this, "I did call and state my problem and had I pushed the issue I am sure they would have moved me. With that said, after unpacking and setting up our motorhome, to pack up and move to another site is a real pain in the a&@ and just more time away from the vacation I spent all this money on."

And that was the advice OP was told by multiple posters except the OP said this, "I did call and state my problem and had I pushed the issue I am sure they would have moved me. With that said, after unpacking and setting up our motorhome, to pack up and move to another site is a real pain in the a&@ and just more time away from the vacation I spent all this money on."

The OP was not the poster I quoted, this was another incident - not sure if this was in a pet loop, or not, doesn't really matter - the excessive barking is not supposed to be tolerated anywhere in FW. We stress to be put in preferred pet free loop only, and so far in all our trips, but one, have been accommodated (no issues that one time).

Magic Fanatic, I am here to 100% support your posts because I was in the 400 loop too, and I know exactly the situation you are describing. Every morning (until the pet owners left...thankfully I had a few peaceful days before our reservation was up!) the barking was virtually non-stop. I also called the front desk (I assumed I was the only one who complained since nothing came of it), and I was transferred to three different people. I very calmly and kindly explained the circumstances, told them I am also a dog owner (left him at home though), and I've never called to lodge any kind of complaint at the Fort before despite several years of camping there. The third Cast Member even said, "Yes, I hear it barking right now!" I made the call from the inside of my travel trailer and she could still hear the barking.

I should add that I started the phone call by first asking if the 400 loop is a pet loop. The first CM said it is not a pet loop, the second CM didn't know, the third said it is a pet loop so there's nothing they could do to help the situation except see if there was an available site for me to move to. We had only been at the Fort one day and had spent hours the previous afternoon setting up our site, so moving was not something we really wanted to do all over again. And, frankly, after driving halfway across the country to get there, we just wanted to be settled for awhile.

While it didn't ruin our trip, it definitely put a damper on my "normal" Fort morning routine. I get up earlier than my husband and two boys, so I have always enjoyed the morning sounds of the Fort--birds, boat horns, sometimes the train whistle from MK--while sitting under the awning with my coffee while the rest of my family sleeps. That didn't happen this year, unfortunately, until the last couple of days of our reservation.

I can honestly say I don't fault the dog(s) for this behavior. The owners tied it/them out then proceeded to ignore it/them (I think they had two dogs but only one was extremely vocal). What was so infuriating was that the barking was the worst when one or more of the owners was outside their trailer and still didn't acknowledge their pet. It was only barking to get attention! Good grief, if you want your dog to get fresh air, take it for a walk or to the dog park. Don't just tie it up outside because you can't be bothered to deal with it. Not only would I have come unhinged if my own dog was barking like that at my own home, but I would absolutely be mortified to think it was barking like that in a public place. Apparently my loop neighbors didn't feel the same way.

Let me just throw this out there, they also had three large vehicles crammed in their site at times (full sized pickups and SUVs--I'm not talking smart cars! haha).

We love the Fort, we love WDW, and we absolutely plan to return. However, when you save for two years to make the trek and spend thousands (don't flame me here--I know we could go elsewhere and also have issues...that's not the point), it is really frustrating to know that those who break the rules will not be called to task and those who complain are told they can move if there is another site available. I didn't ask for those people to be moved. I didn't ask for a refund. I just asked if something could be done to help the situation. And as for approaching them on my own, let me just say that my husband are I are high school teachers and we do enough rule enforcing in our professional lives. It would be nice on vacation to be able to let someone else handle that task. Isn't that what vacations are for? To leave as much of our "real lives" behind as possible for a few precious days?

Rock on, Magic Fanatic.

redcubfan, I am surprised that they did nothing about the situation that you describe. The only time we had an issue that was bad enough to call in about, security came right out, settled the problem, then came back to us and described what they were doing about it, asked if that was acceptable, then told us to call if anything else came up. We were totally happy with their response!

Moving would 'not' have been an option with us either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter