Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos: Jewels of Southeast Asia Meets Thread

For anyone who has done the December or January itineraries, how was the weather? Was it warm enough for the beach? Were any of the outdoor activities modified? Do you have any packing advice? I am getting excited for December!

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Southeast Asia with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos Jewels of Southeast Asia ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Southeast Asia ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:

Current
  • Aug 3 - 14, 2015
    • - heart, DH, DD(24), DS(21), DS(16) & 4 DFs (dear friends)
    • - jenbear25 & husband
  • Dec 19 - 30, 2015 - goofy5000, 2nd adult & daughter (10)
  • Dec 23, 2015 - Jan 3, 2016 - acndis, DH, DS (8) & acndis' Dad
  • Jan 11 - 22, 2016 - CrazyZeus1, Hubby & son (12)

Previous:
  • Jun 10 - 21, 2013 - Cousin Orville, his son (8) & his Dad
  • Jun 24 - Jul 5, 2013
    • - deckes
    • - ABD Whovians, ?? & daughters (14 & 10)
    • - abbyjt, DH?, & 3 kids (19, 16, 15)
  • Jul 8 - 19, 2013
    • - smep013 & husband
    • - disneyphx, husband & daughter (8)
    • - lrweaver & daughter (14)
    • - sjlsk8r & ??
  • Jul 22 - Aug 2, 2013 - figmentfan2009, DH, DD & DS
  • Apr 14 - 25, 2014 - austraveler & ?? & boys (10, 12 & 14)
  • Jul 21 - Aug 1, 2014
    • - DebMA, husband, her parents & MIL (ages 71 - 73), older son (16) & younger son (13)
    • - mamclaug, ?? & child (11)
  • Aug 4 - 15, 2014 - travelbugmom, DH, son (11), son (8) and another family husband, wife, son(11) & son (13)
  • Nov 12 - 24, 2014 - Benhungto &friends.
  • Dec 22, 2014 - Jan 2, 2015
    • - AddictedtoTravel & ??
    • - Kez250, DH, DS (13) & DD (11)
    • - canter2U & husband
  • Jan 12 - 24, 2015 - chats9195 & friend

I am new to this board. We are going on our 9th ABD trip in February 2016 to Southeast Asia. Trying to figure out to stop in Thailand or somewhere else before we get to Saigon? Any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks

My husband and I are booked on the Aug 3-14, 2015 trip. Super excited!
We just booked the SE Asia trip for February. Are you stopping anywhere before you get to Saigon? Just Curious, since we were thinking on Thailand maybe. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you! It will be Me, Hubby, and our son will be 12yo at travel time. Thanks!!
We just booked the SE Asia for February. Are you stopping anywhere before you reach Saigon? Any suggetions are welcome. Thanks! New to this board

For anyone who has done the December or January itineraries, how was the weather? Was it warm enough for the beach? Were any of the outdoor activities modified? Do you have any packing advice? I am getting excited for December!

Sorry I can't answer your questions specifically as we went in the summer. However, the only place with a beach we went during the ABD was Hoi An, but no one was allowed to swim in the ocean. I can't remember if it had to do with the waves being too strong or jellyfish, etc.

We just booked the SE Asia for February. Are you stopping anywhere before you reach Saigon? Any suggetions are welcome. Thanks! New to this board

There's a lot to do in Saigon that ABD doesn't cover. I have some ideas in my trip report below. If you have a lot of time before the trip you could go to Halong Bay up in Hanoi. I've never been but it looks awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cousin Orville! That's good to know. The temperatures sound pretty good during December but since we live in South Texas, I find that even when the temperature is in the 80s, I am chilly! We love swimming, though, and didn't want DS to miss out on much.

I am new to this board. We are going on our 9th ABD trip in February 2016 to Southeast Asia. Trying to figure out to stop in Thailand or somewhere else before we get to Saigon? Any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks

Is it worth to spend an extra day ar siem ripe at the end of the AbD se Asia trip?

We are leaving on Monday. I am having the last minute panics. I have packed too much and am worried I don't have enough! And, I am dreading that long flight! Anyone leaving with us on the 12/23 trip? I saw that Adventure Guide Dusty is headed to Vietnam so it looks like he'll be guiding one of the Christmas trips. We have not had him before but heard he was terrific.

We are leaving on Monday. I am having the last minute panics. I have packed too much and am worried I don't have enough! And, I am dreading that long flight! Anyone leaving with us on the 12/23 trip? I saw that Adventure Guide Dusty is headed to Vietnam so it looks like he'll be guiding one of the Christmas trips. We have not had him before but heard he was terrific.
You'll be fine! :) This is definitely one of the things that drive me crazy about international travel, but just be sure you have your medications and a camera, and the rest can be worked out! :) I haven't had Dusty yet, either, but I've also heard he's wonderful!

ENJOY your trip and then tell us all about it! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

It will be great. Keep in mind you can get laundry in Hoi An and Siem Reap easily and cheaply.

I hope to hear about your trip. It's been a couple of years since mine. I'm sure they've adjusted a few things.

I am just back from this trip. Loved, loved, loved it! Thanks so much to Cousin Orville for all of his wisdom in his trip report. There is invaluable information in there! I don't think I have the stamina to write an actual report but I will try to go back through Cousin O's and highlight any changes to the trip. Also, feel free to message me if you have any questions. Here's some brief advice:

1. DO NOT OVER PACK! Cousin O told me this but I did not heed his warning. You can have laundry done in Hoi An and Laos and it is very cheap. Do this. That is all.
2. Food is over the top amazing. You will gain 100 lbs. I signed up for Weight Watchers on the plane ride home. Be prepared for this.
3. Trip is very active and busy. Just the way we like it! It is all early mornings and late evenings. It's all worth it but again, be prepared.
4. I hate shopping on trips but there were beautiful and amazing things to buy. Again, don't over pack so you bring some of this home.
5. Henry and Chris B. were our guides. They were unbelievable and we had a wonderful group of adventurers!

If this trip is not on your list, it should be. It is really outstanding! It may be our new favorite (competing with Greece).

I am just back from this trip. Loved, loved, loved it! Thanks so much to Cousin Orville for all of his wisdom in his trip report. There is invaluable information in there! I don't think I have the stamina to write an actual report but I will try to go back through Cousin O's and highlight any changes to the trip. Also, feel free to message me if you have any questions. Here's some brief advice:
If this trip is not on your list, it should be. It is really outstanding! It may be our new favorite (competing with Greece).

Thanks for the kind words! So you went in December. How was the weather? I was actually thinking about doing this trip again some day. Maybe in a few years. I always thought December would be ideal.

Thanks for the kind words! So you went in December. How was the weather? I was actually thinking about doing this trip again some day. Maybe in a few years. I always thought December would be ideal.
Weather was ideal! I highly recommend the December trip. It was hot in Saigon and Siem Reap (but Henry and Chris said it was cooler than the summer months). Hanoi was chilly and we had rain one day. Hoi An and Luang Prabang were gorgeous 75-85 degrees. You could swim everywhere but Hanoi.

My family has booked this trip for August 2016. I've enjoyed reading Cousin Orville's trip report and loved the pictures. We are planning on arriving in Saigon a day early, but we haven't seen any recommendations on whether or not we should add a day at the end. Did you have enough time in Siem Reap?

I would recommend flying late out of Siem Reap. Most flights leave late and that gives you an extra day. We were pretty beat by the last day and were ready to get home. You will have a pass to go back to Angkor Wat but our day there was enough for us. It's amazing but we did not want to spend another day touring. We slept late, went to the hotel spa, and relaxed before the long flight. Everyone else in the group did pretty much the same. Only two groups did post days (one group went to Bangkok; the other Tokyo).

We also left late the last day, but went back to a couple of the temples during the morning. We went into town to eat lunch and then flew back that evening. That was enough for us. If I was staying another couple of days I'd probably go elsewhere in Cambodia or fly to Thailand.

We took Vietnam Air back to Saigon and then went ANA to Tokyo and then to Houston. Our luggage was checked through to Houston. We liked both airlines a lot.

Thank you acndis. Looks like we will fly back to Saigon as well. Good to hear about Vietnam Air.

My son is 19 and my daughter is 16. I know my daughter will love it, but I am really concerned about my son. Are these trips geared to more the 10-15 year olds?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter