Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! I'm in for the Glass Slipper Challenge and my husband will be running the 10k.

:cheer2::cheer2:

I'm a little scared about this whole thing. Running W&D for this year's C2C, Tink, then the two races on Princess weekend. What have I gotten myself into!?

:scared:

Does anyone know if the race retreat sells out?

I cannot decide if I want to do both or just Princess. I know I do not need it for the 10k but if I get an extra commemorative item I might just do it. I know the price doesn't justify what I get but........

Does anyone know if the race retreat sells out?

I cannot decide if I want to do both or just Princess. I know I do not need it for the 10k but if I get an extra commemorative item I might just do it. I know the price doesn't justify what I get but........

Race retreat did sell out for 2013...DH and I really liked race retreat....weather this year wasn't cold and dreary but I have heard past years have been less than great weather. I think the price is about 20.00 more than last year.

Subbing - I'm in for the Glass Slipper! :cool1:

So happy I took the plunge today and registered before it sold out. Good luck to all in your training and planning :)

Hey all!
I wish I would have looked at this message board PRIOR to registering today.
I'm a Disney Visa holder and I didn't get any notification about registering early or getting a discount with my card. BOO! How did you all know about that?

This will be my first Disney race and my 3rd Half. Doing the GSC for my 40th birthday!
A few questions for those of you that have done these races before...
What's the weather like at 5am on a Sunday in February. I'm in KS and here it's like frozen tundra! LOL!
Does anyone know if there are people that make sweat/head bands that are princess themed?
Lastly I've had a terrible time finding the host resorts for the PHM. Can anyone point me to a link or enlighten me?
Thanks so much!!
Gretchen in Ks.

Did both 2012 and 2013. 2012 was cool, maybe 50's, once I got moving and warmed up, I was fine with a tank, but I get really warm running. Was gray and cloudy, and even misted a little. 2013 was much warmer, probably high 70's to low 80's once the sun came up, and a bit humid, but also overcast. So who knows what we'll get for GSC!

When does the Marathon sell out..just need to confirm leave at work then I can book....will probably be the weekend!!!

YAY!! Glad to hear this! I first learned of Sweaty Bands at this year's Princess Expo...they are amazing! I have not tried BondiBands, but I have been very pleased with my SweatyBands. :dance3:

2013 was humid! We did the 5K...@ 3:45am on race morning it was 62 degrees :crazy2:
I use Bondi bands as my face and hair sweat like a pig....Bondi bands are great I have a princess one in pink!

I registered my friend as well as myself and I realized I registered her to race under her maiden name and the team category under her married name. Do I call Rundisney to change her maiden name to married?

Guess the excitement of registering early got to me.:bitelip:

valeriejp said:
Did both 2012 and 2013. 2012 was cool, maybe 50's, once I got moving and warmed up, I was fine with a tank, but I get really warm running. Was gray and cloudy, and even misted a little. 2013 was much warmer, probably high 70's to low 80's once the sun came up, and a bit humid, but also overcast. So who knows what we'll get for GSC!

Oh my,,, 80s and humid does not sound fun. Oh well, I suppose we will just deal with whatever happens. I for one am hoping for 50s and overcast! Or colder.

Had my first princess race dream last year. Not really a nightmare except for the fact that as part of the princess, they made us go ride big thunder mountain railroad at the very end. And it was snowing. And I was wearing a bridesmaid dress. Weird, but not exactly a nightmare either. Lol.

If they don't offer much of a room discount or discount on tickets, we're going to have to seriously look at staying off-site and maybe only getting a one day ticket to MK. It might actually be cheaper to get a rental car and stay off-site.

How is it for people staying off-site for the races? Is it difficult to drive there for the start of the race?

Also, if staying on-site, we won't get a rental car. I know they have buses to the race, but what about the expo? Is it easy to get from your resort to the expo or do you have to mess around with transferring buses?

Those of you that have stayed ON or Offsite for a RunDisney race, what was your experience?

I have always stayed onsite for race weekend, but this year have booked at the Marriott Village since it's February (vs January) and it's just too much more expensive onsite.

When you stay onsite at a host hotel (as ALL will be for Princess), there are buses to the race and the expo. I have used race buses, but not expo buses since I always get a car. They generally work fine--although you will hear issues about lack of buses on race day or buses cutting it very close to the start of the race. Bound to happen with the volume of runners being transported. The solution is to get as early a bus as you can stomach.

As for offsite...plenty of people do this option. You just need to be aware of the road closures and plan to be be at the start location early.

I am in the same boat as you for this trip (and beginning to slightly wonder why I thought this race was a good idea!)

Maura

I use the Jeff Galloway training program. If you have an iPhone, there's even an app! It is a run/walk method, but you can set the intervals to whatever you want it to be.

Thank you! I thought it looked good, but have no clue. I will check it out today. I started my own version of the C25K yesterday, so I can just switch over to JGs!

Hi Kate, trust me you are not the only novice here :) I'll be 59 in Sept feel better :thumbsup2 you're a kid
Yep Jeff Gallaway method for me too
Ruthie

Thanks Ruthie. :) A friend of mine did one of the 1/2s (can;t remember which. And JG spoke at the expo. She said he was inspiring.

::yes:: My mom actually took in my TOT and a local unisex race shirt for me - just sewed a couple inches in from the side seams and chopped off the excess! Much better fitting... but the TOT shirt (same material as the EEC) is still uncomfortably hot and prickly. :rolleyes:

I don't qualify as an expert, but the Galloway programs - from 5K through half-marathon plan - got me through this year's Princess Half! :thumbsup2

Thank you!

My 44th birthday goal too!!

WooHoo! My goal is to be in better shape than I have been in my life, which should not too difficult.

I registered yesterday along with my 16 year old daughter. Are the extras worth doing? Like the different plans (Bronze, Gold or Platinum)? Does anyone have family who purchases the spectator packages? My husband and 8 year old will be there too. Also, how soon to the Host Resorts fill up? I was unable to find a list of which ones are the host ones...does anyone know where I can find them?

Thank you again.

It may take a little while for your registration to show up online. I registered the other day and mine does show up in "upcoming" under my profile.

disneydreamkateC25K has lots of fans. I don't think you can go wrong with that plan, or any other for that matter. The key is to find one that fits your goal, your life style, your CURRENT level of fitness/training, and your motivation. And if you start a plan and it doesn't seem to work for you after a few weeks--change it. Most importantly at this stage, walk--don't run--to your nearest running store and get properly fitted for the right shoes. Good luck! I didn't start running til I was 49 and picked the dearly departed Minnie 15k as my very first race--with no running experience under my belt, I managed to train and finish in 4 months.

Congrats to all who have gotten in. Let the training begin!

Maura

Thank you Maura! My daughter and I went the other day to Fleet Feet and both picked up our new running shoes. My poor pocketbook! ;)

Can someone confirm for me if I am right...Is it possible to book a package now for February 2014? Do you have to provide your confirmation # or something similar to prove you are doing the PHM? How soon do the EP Resorts fill up? Sorry to ask so many questions. We really want to do BC this time around, and I don't want to be disappointed if they get full quickly.

Kate

If they don't offer much of a room discount or discount on tickets, we're going to have to seriously look at staying off-site and maybe only getting a one day ticket to MK. It might actually be cheaper to get a rental car and stay off-site.

How is it for people staying off-site for the races? Is it difficult to drive there for the start of the race?

Also, if staying on-site, we won't get a rental car. I know they have buses to the race, but what about the expo? Is it easy to get from your resort to the expo or do you have to mess around with transferring buses?

Those of you that have stayed ON or Offsite for a RunDisney race, what was your experience?

My family was off-site in 2012. Hubby dropped me off at 4:30 am. There is a parking and bus line which can be long but the drop off line was in and out. When we were ready there was a bit of traffic but no more than waiting on Disney Transportation. I did not find it at all difficult. Packet pick up I will probably park at Downtown Disney and ride disney transportation over for that.
We were at Windsor Hills pool home and it took no more than 10-12 min to get to the park. Now I don't know about 2013 as I heard lots more people did the race and lot more crowded but 2012, I felt off site suited us fine! We will be off site again as we are large family that travels with my MIL and sister to help with the kids.

Can someone confirm for me if I am right...Is it possible to book a package now for February 2014? Do you have to provide your confirmation # or something similar to prove you are doing the PHM? How soon do the EP Resorts fill up? Sorry to ask so many questions. We really want to do BC this time around, and I don't want to be disappointed if they get full quickly.

Kate

I didn't make reservations with RD. I'm hoping for an AP discount, but general reservations had only a couple of standard rooms available at the Poly. If you know what you want and can handle a deposit now I'd call soon. :)

I didn't make reservations with RD. I'm hoping for an AP discount, but general reservations had only a couple of standard rooms available at the Poly. If you know what you want and can handle a deposit now I'd call soon. :)

Ugh. Okay. Thank you. Does anyone know if I can book a package as opposed to a Room Only? At this point I can probably afford the package down payment this week, but not Room!

disneydreamkate said:
Ugh. Okay. Thank you. Does anyone know if I can book a package as opposed to a Room Only? At this point I can probably afford the package down payment this week, but not Room!

When I called on Monday to general reservations they could book room only at that time. I don't know what the package deposit amount is but I had to pay one night deposit. I was told when packages come out I could add them and also apply any discounts that are announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter