Calling all planners: How would you plan this?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I'm curious to see what others would do with our options. Here's the parameters:

-10 park days available from June 25 to July 4
-Very late arrival on the 24th, so 25th needs to have a free morning at least for sleeping in, getting groceries etc...
-Two young children ages 8 & 5, both with some special needs who need regular bed times (8:00ish) as much as possible
- No park hoppers
- Half days only (4 hours tops, preferably mornings, okay with doing RD for a few hours, then taking a break, going back for a couple evenings - though late evenings must be followed by either a day off, or a morning off).
- Staying off-site. 15-20 minute drive to Magic Kingdom (that's accounting for traffic, about 10 minutes to Animal Kingdom).
- Plan must allow for 2 mornings at Animal Kingdom, 3 days at Magic Kingdom (our Wednesday plus two other days), 1 day at Hollywood Studios, 1 day at Blizzard Beach, 3 rest days
- At least one AK of days, two MK days and the HS day must be before July 1
- Wednesday, July 1st is at Magic Kingdom (that's the one day that is carved in stone).
-Fantasmic is a must-do

So, how would you plan it? (I've listed EasyWDW recommended parks with Touring Plans crowd level)

Thursday (AK8):
Friday (HS7, MK8, AK7):
Saturday (AK7):
Sunday (HS5):
Monday (AK9):
Tuesday (AK8, MK8, HS6):
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom (RD, afternoon break, back for evening for MSEP/Wishes)
Thursday (MK7):
Friday (AK5, HS6):
Saturday (AK3):

Gimme a minute and pad of paper.
Be right back.... just to be sure no epcot at all??

Gimme a minute and pad of paper.
Be right back.... just to be sure no epcot at all??

Honestly? I would love to do Epcot. I've love to have two full days in Epcot, lol. BUT... it's going to be so hot, and DD just is not handling the heat well - she has ASD, some heart issues, some bowel issues, still in pull-ups. So I think it would be too hard on her, and at the end of the day, I think they'll enjoy BB more. I mean, if there was a way to fit it in (maybe just do two days at MK with an afternoon break?), even half a day or an evening... we would probably just focus on World Showcase. But... I'm trying to let go of what I want ;)

Ok. I think I got all the requirements
25th pool day. Get set up for sucess
26th MK gotta start here with kids
27th AK
28th late start HS fp+fantasmic
29th pool day or blizzard
30th left open for you. Epcot is not recommended
1st MK cause you said so
2nd pool day
3rd AK
4th MK cause ya gotta end there too. Bring tissues

With your requests this is what i would do IMO.
Wed.24= travel
Thursday 25= AK (level 8)- this is a slower pace park which would be better after a travel day and easywdw suggested.
Friday 26= MK (don’t make children wait too long for MK day)
Saturday 27= Rest
Sunday 28= HS with Fantasmic (level 6)
Monday 29= rest day (recoup from later night before)
Tuesday 30= Blizzard Beach
Wednesday 1 =MK (requested day for MSEP and Wishes)
Thursday 2= rest day (recoup from later night before)
Friday 3= MK (shame its not the last day but should be less busy than a Saturday and AK on the 4th is level 3)
Saturday 4= AK (level 3!)

I would do:

Thurs 25 late FP @ HS, F!
Friday 26 BB -- can have a later morning after F! night, plus water parks not as strenuous as touring
Sat. 27 rest -- parks are crowded anyway on weekends
Sun 28 HS -- recommended park, plus can leave earlier b/c did some on Thurs night, avoiding weekend crowding
Mon 29 MK -- have we not waited long enough? Could swap for AK and then MK on Tues if desired
Tues 30 AK -- its the recommended park
Wed 1 MK
Thurs 2 rest -- a well earned day after 4 ish solid days of touring
Fri 3 MK -- again, I prefer Friday in MK to Sat. b/c of weekend crowds, but you could swap it with AK on Sat.
Sat 4 AK -- could swap with MK on Fri. if desired, but I don't wanna be anywhere near MK on July 4th. Of course, that's just me.

ETA: I know there's only two rest days, but I was really thinking on Thurs. go to HS just for F! plus a couple of FP rides. So it's pretty much a rest day, but it makes sure you can ditch early on Sunday if the crowds turn out to be bad.

Last edited:

Oooh, thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'll admit, I would love to squeeze an evening for Epcot in there, SOMEWHERE. Just to wander through the World Showcase. Oddly enough my son (8), was actually more excited about WS than FW. But he loves different countries and cultures and has a fascination with all things China, so really wanted to see that pavillion. I wanted to do Pick a Pearl in Japan.

I'm curious... if we mostly just wanted to stroll around, quickly wander through some, and maybe only "really" go into a few countries (Japan for pick a pearl, China and maybe one other, probably Germany for the trains), would we be able to do that in 2 or 3 hours? Would 11-2 or 5-8 be better? Is there any shade at all? Will the heat feel really intense there?

Here is what I have come up with based off all your input, and interested in your thoughts on the fninal two:

Thurs: free day, 4:00 HDDR
Fri: Magic Kingdom
Sat: Animal Kingdom
Sun: Hollywood Studios (do a morning, afternoon break, then evening for F!)
Mon: free day, go into Epcot for a few hours in the evening
Tues: Blizzard Beach
Wed: MK (morning, afternoon break, evening)
Thur: MK (either go in around noon and stay for the afternoon so we can catch FoF, or go in after supper, probably 5-8)
Fri: AK
Sat: free (DH said he wants this day free, since we leave early the next morning on our 3 day drive home)

OR:

Thurs: free day, go into Epcot for a few hours that evening
Fri: Magic Kingdom, (probably 10-2), take the boat over for HDDR at 4:00
Sat: AK
Sun: HS
Mon: free
Tues: BB
Wed: MK
Thur: MK
Fri: AK
Sat: free

I think I'm leaning towards the second plan, because we'll do a bit later arrival at MK, which will be nice after the evening at Epcot, I think the kids would enjoy the boat ride from MK to HDDR, and I also think DD might have a quick nap on the boat, and it gives us that Monday 100% off with nowhere to go. Otherwise, we'll be driving to parks 5 days in a row.

I think I'm leaning towards the second plan, because we'll do a bit later arrival at MK, which will be nice after the evening at Epcot, I think the kids would enjoy the boat ride from MK to HDDR, and I also think DD might have a quick nap on the boat, and it gives us that Monday 100% off with nowhere to go. Otherwise, we'll be driving to parks 5 days in a row.

I also like the 2nd plan. The boat from MK to FW can't be more than 10-15 minutes, so it would be a quick nap.

I also like the 2nd plan. The boat from MK to FW can't be more than 10-15 minutes, so it would be a quick nap.

I guess I was thinking that if she falls asleep in her stroller she would stay asleep for a bit and we could walk around Fort Wilderness for a bit. But maybe you're not allowed to take extended strollers on the boat?

I guess I was thinking that if she falls asleep in her stroller she would stay asleep for a bit and we could walk around Fort Wilderness for a bit. But maybe you're not allowed to take extended strollers on the boat?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/water.htm

Not sure, depends on if you're in a "cruiser" or a "launch". Pretty sure with a "cruiser" you can wheel a stroller on? And this link indicates that the MK-FW route typically uses cruisers.

I'm curious... if we mostly just wanted to stroll around, quickly wander through some, and maybe only "really" go into a few countries (Japan for pick a pearl, China and maybe one other, probably Germany for the trains), would we be able to do that in 2 or 3 hours? Would 11-2 or 5-8 be better? Is there any shade at all? Will the heat feel really intense there?

Yes, three hours is definitely doable for that agenda. 11-2 would be WAY better crowd wise, but 5-8 (for me) would be better heat wise. I way prefer the sun to not be overhead when I am in World Showcase. Given a choice between crowds and heat, I take crowds. I would go 5-8.

We get in very late on our arrival day as well. Our plan for our first full day is to sleep-in, have breakfast at the hotel, make a grocery store run (likely one parent), explore the resort and swim and then hit Epcot around 3 or 4. We plan to hit a few of the rides (we'll use FP+ for major attractions and hoping living with the land, Ellen, etc aren't too busy), have dinner and wander WS. We're going in Aug so thinking that staying in FW and hitting rides while it's still a bit hot will be good. We are planning to stay for Illuminations to take advantage of being on West Coast time still but that's probably later than you want to be out.

Oooh, thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'll admit, I would love to squeeze an evening for Epcot in there, SOMEWHERE. Just to wander through the World Showcase. Oddly enough my son (8), was actually more excited about WS than FW. But he loves different countries and cultures and has a fascination with all things China, so really wanted to see that pavillion. I wanted to do Pick a Pearl in Japan.

You really must try to see China and the replica of the Terracotta Army if your son is interested. It's quite amazing. I personally like that side of WS better than the Canada/GB/France side. You could walk left around WS and go as far as Japan, and then take the friendship boat back across the lake if you time it before Illuminations. I think the last boat leaves at 7:30.

You really must try to see China and the replica of the Terracotta Army if your son is interested. It's quite amazing. I personally like that side of WS better than the Canada/GB/France side. You could walk left around WS and go as far as Japan, and then take the friendship boat back across the lake if you time it before Illuminations. I think the last boat leaves at 7:30.

That's a great idea, thanks! As yes, the main countries we're interested in are between Mexico and Japan.

This plan gives 3 MK Days, 1 HS Day with Fantasmic, 2 Epcot Days (or relax if needed), 2 AK Days, 1 Blizzard Beach Day, and 1 relax day. It also only has two days that must not have a 8pm bedtime (Wishes/ Fantasmic) with 2 Epcot nights that would be optional.

June 25 Magic Kingdom

• AM: Sleep in, Relaxing Pool Day
  • PM: Magic Kingdom 6:00pm, 2 FP+ Rides, Wishes FP+ 10:00pm
Why? MK isn't recommended but I think it would be a great start for the trip to just see the castle, do rides you have FP+ for, and see Wishes with a FP+ because you can lay in the grass and it is relaxing. You need to sleep in anyway this day so you mind as well go somewhere for night entertainment.

June 26 Hollywood Studios
  • PM: DHS 5:00pm, FP+ 3 rides, Fantasmic 9:00pm (Consider the Fantasmic! Dining Package if you want to ensure good seating or FP Fantasmic! or want a sitting break)
Why? HS Is the most recommended park and you need to sleep in from MK the night before. This way you can do 3 DHS rides (I feel DHS doesnt have much anyway but you could go there on the "free day" if you do) and Fantasmic!

June 27 Epcot if feel like it and don't need to relax entire day
  • PM: Epcot 5:00pm, Stroll countries, TS Dinner at one of countries 7:00pm for break, Illuminations FP+ 9:00pm
Why? You need to sleep in from DHS the night before. Epcot is recommended. You can leisurely go into Epcot later and see the countries and watch Illuminations with a FP+ to avoid crowded areas. To make it more relaxing, I was thinking you might want a dinner break. If you need the whole day to relax, you can skip it.

June 28 Blizzard Beach
  • AM: Sleep in, Blizzard Beach 10 or 11:00am
  • PM: Relaxing Resort Night
Why? You need to sleep in from night before at Epcot and going to Blizzard Beach can be a 11:00-3:00pm type of thing or longer if you end up wanting to.

June 29 Magic Kingdom
  • AM: MK Rope Drop, 3 FP+ Rides, TS Lunch 11:00am for break
Why? MK isn't recommended but I didn't want to have you there two days in a row. If you want, you could switch June 29 and 30 around to be at recommended parks. You went to bed early the night before so you are ready for rope drop. You can do your 3 FP+ Rides and have lunch at 11:00 for a break.

June 30 Animal Kingdom
  • AM: AK Rope Drop, 3 FP+ Rides, TS Lunch 11:00am for break
Why? You went to bed early the night before so you are ready for rope drop. AK is recommended. You can do 3 FP+ rides at AK and have a lunch break at 11:00am.

July 1 Magic Kingdom
Why? You went to bed early and you said you were going to MK today.

July 2 Epcot, Whatever Missed, or Relax Day
  • AM: Pool Day
  • PM: Epcot Future World 5:00pm, 3 FP+ Rides
Why? Epcot is recommended and you probably want to have a mostly relaxing day. Maybe just head into epcot at night for some rides if you want to but if not, then skip it.

July 3 Relax or whatever missed
  • AM: Whatever Missed
  • PM: Whatever Missed
Why? Relax day or do whatever you feel you missed because it is the end of the trip and you will have a longer day tomorrow.

July 4 Animal Kingdom/ Fireworks
  • AM: Animal Kingdom Rope Drop, 3 FP+ Rides, TS Lunch 11:00am for break
  • PM: MK Fireworks from relaxing out of park location (Polynesian Beach, CR 4th floor deck, California Grill Reservation observation deck, GF Boat Dock, etc.)
Why? AK is recommended and you relaxed the day before. You don't want to miss the July 4th fireworks and you can watch them in a low key way outside of the parks.

I have worked with kids with ASD but every child is different. Generally, I would maybe want to do a table service meal most days to get a sitting break and air conditioning in the middle of your park touring if you are worried about being on-the-go or in the heat too long. The Epcot days can be skipped if your family needs them to relax. For relaxing resort nights, you could hang at the pool, watch a movie, participate in hotel activities, etc. If on a "relax" day you want to do something that doesn't involve the parks, you could rent boats, go mini-golfing, eat at a resort, hang at the pool, etc. Obviously, I have too much time on my hands and love planning lol. Have fun!

This plan gives 3 MK Days, 1 HS Day with Fantasmic, 2 Epcot Days (or relax if needed), 2 AK Days, 1 Blizzard Beach Day, and 1 relax day. It also only has two days that must not have a 8pm bedtime (Wishes/ Fantasmic) with 2 Epcot nights that would be optional.

June 25 Magic Kingdom

• PM: Magic Kingdom 6:00pm, 2 FP+ Rides, Wishes FP+ 10:00pm
Why? MK isn't recommended but I think it would be a great start for the trip to just see the castle, do rides you have FP+ for, and see Wishes with a FP+ because you can lay in the grass and it is relaxing. You need to sleep in anyway this day so you mind as well go somewhere for night entertainment.

June 26 Hollywood Studios
  • PM: DHS 5:00pm, FP+ 3 rides, Fantasmic 9:00pm (Consider the Fantasmic! Dining Package if you want to ensure good seating or FP Fantasmic! or want a sitting break)
Why? HS Is the most recommended park and you need to sleep in from MK the night before. This way you can do 3 DHS rides (I feel DHS doesnt have much anyway but you could go there on the "free day" if you do) and Fantasmic!

June 27 Epcot if feel like it and don't need to relax entire day
  • PM: Epcot 5:00pm, Stroll countries, TS Dinner at one of countries 7:00pm for break, Illuminations FP+ 9:00pm
Why? You need to sleep in from DHS the night before. Epcot is recommended. You can leisurely go into Epcot later and see the countries and watch Illuminations with a FP+ to avoid crowded areas. To make it more relaxing, I was thinking you might want a dinner break. If you need the whole day to relax, you can skip it.

June 28 Blizzard Beach
  • AM: Sleep in, Blizzard Beach 10 or 11:00am
Why? You need to sleep in from night before at Epcot and going to Blizzard Beach can be a 11:00-3:00pm type of thing or longer if you end up wanting to.

June 29 Magic Kingdom
Why? MK isn't recommended but I didn't want to have you there two days in a row. If you want, you could switch June 29 and 30 around to be at recommended parks. You went to bed early the night before so you are ready for rope drop. You can do your 3 FP+ Rides and have lunch at 11:00 for a break.

June 30 Animal Kingdom
  • AM: AK Rope Drop, 3 FP+ Rides, TS Lunch 11:00am for break
Why? You went to bed early the night before so you are ready for rope drop. AK is recommended. You can do 3 FP+ rides at AK and have a lunch break at 11:00am.

July 1 Magic Kingdom
Why? You went to bed early and you said you were going to MK today.

July 2 Epcot, Whatever Missed, or Relax Day
  • AM: Pool Day
  • PM: Epcot Future World 5:00pm, 3 FP+ Rides
Why? Epcot is recommended and you probably want to have a mostly relaxing day. Maybe just head into epcot at night for some rides if you want to but if not, then skip it.

July 3 Relax or whatever missed
  • AM: Whatever Missed
  • PM: Whatever Missed
Why? Relax day or do whatever you feel you missed because it is the end of the trip and you will have a longer day tomorrow.

July 4 Animal Kingdom/ Fireworks
  • AM: Animal Kingdom Rope Drop, 3 FP+ Rides, TS Lunch 11:00am for break
  • PM: MK Fireworks from relaxing out of park location (Polynesian Beach, CR 4th floor deck, California Grill Reservation observation deck, GF Boat Dock, etc.)
Why? AK is recommended and you relaxed the day before. You don't want to miss the July 4th fireworks and you can watch them in a low key way outside of the parks.

I have worked with kids with ASD but every child is different. Generally, I would maybe want to do a table service meal most days to get a sitting break and air conditioning in the middle of your park touring if you are worried about being on-the-go or in the heat too long. The Epcot days can be skipped if your family needs them to relax. For relaxing resort nights, you could hang at the pool, watch a movie, participate in hotel activities, etc. If on a "relax" day you want to do something that doesn't involve the parks, you could rent boats, go mini-golfing, eat at a resort, hang at the pool, etc. Obviously, I have too much time on my hands and love planning lol. Have fun!

I love how many evenings you've planned. My BIL and family just got home from Florida and said they found the heat hard, and that evening were by far their favorite time to be in park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter