• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill closing... (rumor)

I won't cry if California Grill isn't replaced. But if it's replaced by a concept that doesn't worsen the food à la Cinderella's Royal Table, then I'm in favor of the change.

Agreed. California fusion is old school, and the light fixtures look like cockroaches. To me the restaurant as it is now doesn't live up to the "contemporary" theme of the resort, just like the rooms didn't before the refresh.

I know people have great memories of the restaurant, but an update to both decor and menu is nothin' but the good. I seriously doubt they'll do something like Cinderella's in that space; the Contemporary is a popular resort w/ conventioners, and conventioners want someplace fancy to eat. It would be redundant to put in another character meal there.

I imagine (if they do change it) they'll go with a more modern menu/look for the restaurant, and it'll be better than ever. I doubt they'll want to lose Yoshi, so they'll either move her someplace else or bring her back after the restaurant re-opens.

That's just my two cents. But, overall, I wouldn't get into a tither about it either way until something official is announced. And I do understand where you're all coming from--I was very upset when Kouzzina replaced Spoodles. I like Kouzzina very much, but I still miss Spoodles as it was at its best.

We're getting petty and boring I think so I hope this is my last post on the subject.

I hardly "blasted" anyone but I do find entitlement is always an issue. If that wasn't your intent (I don't think it was) you should not feel my comments were directed at you.

Re: CG it's hardly operating on a dated concept as 'California cuisine' is still at the forefront of modern culinary concepts renowned world wide.

It's totally your right to have a contrary opinion to mine but yours seems based on two bad outings which makes me wonder if you'd had GREAT meals on those trips how would you be feeling.
I definitely didn't mean to come across as entitled, and I'm sorry if my tone implied that. But my opinion is still that the Contemporary's signature restaurant could reflect newer culinary trends than something that was big in the 90s. Seasonal and sustainable are some big trends today (which The Wave downstairs reflects). California Grill already claims to utilize market-fresh ingredients, but I think losing the "California fusion" thing could open up some broader possibilities as well. Instead, if they were to focus on contemporary American cuisine with a molecular gastronomy influence (which many of the signatures are already doing in small doses) and redo the decor with sleeker architecture and more muted colors, and I think the restaurant would still be a winner.

And yes, I've had some great meals at California Grill, which is why it disappoints me that two meals in a row haven't wowed (most other signatures at least go up and down when they're inconsistent). Spoodles was another restaurant that I once loved, but by the time it closed I was happy to see it go because quality had gone downhill IMO. That said, I'm not that impressed by its replacement, but I think Disney really could pull off an amazing refreshment of California Grill if they decided to.

Agreed. California fusion is old school, and the light fixtures look like cockroaches. To me the restaurant as it is now doesn't live up to the "contemporary" theme of the resort, just like the rooms didn't before the refresh.

I know people have great memories of the restaurant, but an update to both decor and menu is nothin' but the good. I seriously doubt they'll do something like Cinderella's in that space; the Contemporary is a popular resort w/ conventioners, and conventioners want someplace fancy to eat. It would be redundant to put in another character meal there.

I imagine (if they do change it) they'll go with a more modern menu/look for the restaurant, and it'll be better than ever. I doubt they'll want to lose Yoshi, so they'll either move her someplace else or bring her back after the restaurant re-opens.

That's just my two cents. But, overall, I wouldn't get into a tither about it either way until something official is announced. And I do understand where you're all coming from--I was very upset when Kouzzina replaced Spoodles. I like Kouzzina very much, but I still miss Spoodles as it was at its best.
I love your description of the dining room. :lmao: The colors and patterns in the dining room very much align with Contemporary's room design from the mid-90s to 2005 (which featured jarring rainbow colors, zebra patterns, and cheap-looking furniture; I actually thought they were hideous). Granted, California Grill is designed a lot more tastefully than CR's old rooms, but I still think an update could help the restaurant match CR's new style.

California Grill isn't the only restaurant that people miss. People also have good memories of Top of the World (the original one) and Papeete Bay Verandah (pre-Ohana). I have good memories of Tusker House and it was a raved-about counter service location; I'm happy for the people who enjoy it as a character restaurant (those people aren't happy because I no longer enjoy it; they're happy because they like the new concept. I think that's the best parallel, and I wouldn't say anyone is selfish for appreciating the new concept).

We're getting petty and boring I think so I hope this is my last post on the subject.

:lmao: how I wish others would have such insight!! (not on this thread).

Perspective is so interesting. PPs have mentioned the oh-so-90s :-)rotfl:) decor... and then I suddenly realize one more reason why I love it so much!! I feel *so* comfortable and happy there, in addition to enjoying the service and the meal (and the view, and the fireworks...). I'm a 90s child! Not like these kids born in 1992 (who are 19. oh my god.) who "think" they grew up in the 90s :laughing:. I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s. The 90s on 9 is ALWAYS on my Sirius radio. So if the CG theme is so very 90s, I say, please don't change! :love:

That, and, I hate change. Seriously. Especially Disney change. I like routine, and I live for nostalgia. :cloud9:

We ate at CG the last night of our honeymoon - it was the most delicious, memorable, beautiful meal. We made it tradition and close our trip with CG each time now. I will be heartbroken if it is changed...

We love the Cali Grill. I hope that if it is remodeled, it returns to just be more fantastic.

I doubt as well that they will lose Yoshi. She's talented and we have yet to have a bad experience at the CG. Actually, we've never even had a "just OK" experience. It's always been supurb.

I'm booked for March. I guess now I will make several ADRs and go there as much as possible in case it's our last chance. We're at BLT so we can pop over for a late night dinner.:thumbsup2

If this turns out to be true I'll be even more glad I choose to book our Valentine's Day dinner there for our upcoming February Trip. I know, I know, Valentine's Day Dinner while watching the MK fireworks from the California Grill. Its hardly the most original choice, and probably not the most romantic either (Artist Point perhaps) but that was an ADR I wasn't going to turn down.

As for what comes later, molecular gastronomy perhaps, using farm to table seasonal foods - thats my guess. Disney already has a few mg foods - but I could see them turning the Contemporary into their showcase for that food trend.

We just returned.
We were so dischanted with Cali grill this trip. This was one of our favorite place to dine. We looked so foward to it every trip. This time not so much.

We were seated at the window as requested, and started our evening, our server took quite a long time to even greet us. We order drinks and that took a long time as well, when our server did bring our drinks she said she would be right back to take our order, which was more time missing in action.
Finally she took our order, appetizers arrived, and they were very good. DH order the flat bread he loves they way they prepare it, cali. roll for me. Fireworks began and they were so wonderful very romantic. I thought well things are getting back on track. Well that was not the case. Our entree's arrive, DH had the filet which was not a very good cut, it was stringy, and dry, while it look like it was cooked medium rare it was not juicy and flavorful, it had a ton of sauce which I think was to cover up the dryness of the steak. I'm guessing that it sat under a heat lamp for some time. DH stated that the side were good, potatoes and broccolini. I ordered the diver scallop's, they were smaller than a penny and had not real thickness to them, and there were only 3, the side was to be suppose to be fall squash and orzo rice or pasta, what I got was mush, it was horrible. It had so much black pepper, I could not eat it. During dinner we kept looking for our server, who had not been by since she took our order, we had to flag down another server who got us 2 more drinks and brought water that I had asked for twice from our server. Another server brought our dessert menu, and took that order. DH order the choc. cake, it was dry. I ordered the pear and almond cobbler and it was very good served with ginger ice cream, this was a good pairing. Finally our server showed up with the bill, and did take the time explaining the tip portion of the bill, she spent longer with us on that then on service. She never asked once how the meal was.

I thought that I would never say this, but I think it is time to say Goodbye to Cali- Grill. We will be looking forward to a new image for this space. If it con't to stay Cali-grill, we will not be dinning here except perhaps, to sit at the bar for drinks and appetizers, and enjoy the view.

I'm glad we got to eat there finally in late September, in case it does close & become something else. I loved my meal & the service was excellent. I do think it could be better, though.

Does anyone have any updates on this feed? I will be making my reservations for Aug in 2 weeks. I don't want to make reservations only to find out that it is closed and my husband and I cannot get into another restaurant for "date night."

Does anyone have any updates on this feed? I will be making my reservations for Aug in 2 weeks. I don't want to make reservations only to find out that it is closed and my husband and I cannot get into another restaurant for "date night."

I have heard the closure will happen in the "fourth quarter"....so, you should be good in August. We, too, made ressies but in July! I'm excited, we've never tried it before, and have never had "date night" at Disney before w/out the kids...well, except for BEFORE the kids, LOL! Looking forward to a nice evening. :goodvibes

Thank you. I have never been either. We did date night for the first time last year. The kids went to Neverland Club. they loved it. They cannot wait to go this year.

Funny you should hear that. We just returned after 4 days at WDW, and we were talking to several cast members who, while not saying anything about the California Grill, mentioned all the problems they have had over the years at the Contemporary with water leaks due to old and deteriorating pipes and such, and how they have spent a ton of money on that building in recent times. It would be nice for a change up there, it's getting a bit stale after all this time. We go quite often, so maybe that has something to do with it.

No no no no no. I think I will die without that sushi:guilty: that and Ohana are the best restaurants on property IMO. Okay I know that some restaurants have replaced other restaurants, but there was a reason they got replaced right. I've seen so many great memories happen at Cali. Grill. I've seen people get engaged, I've eaten dessert while watching wishes, it's the best. Right now my whole house is on edge so this better be a rumor:mad:

I have to believe that while the decor and some menu items might change... and maybe a new name... that Disney wouldn't totally revamp everythign about this very popular restaurant. I would imagine that the more popular items (such as the sushi) will remain pretty much as it with improvements or replacements to less popular items. A re-design in look isn't really that huge of a deal as long as the food and service don't go out the door.

;) As a child of the 70s graduating in '86--I loved the 90s feel and thought it was upscale...but then I also live in Mississippi.

DH and I had a fantastic filet in Oct with my parents. I have it booked for two nights during our May trip. I guess we will have to take one for the road...:sad1:

A bartender at The Wave, employed at WDW since the early nineties, told us last week that while Disney plans to update the California Grill it won't be for "at least" another year. He knows of no plans to close it entirely. His quote: "Disney realizes it's got too good a concept to lose."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter