California Adventure gets scrubbed

WDW's Soarin' is exactly the same with the exception of "California" not on the signage, etc. or the pre show movie. Other than that it's exactly the same right down the the last scenes where if you look closely enough you can see some of the traffic on Ball Rd. :goodvibes

So I guess when we get the new 'world' film in Soarin', then WDW will get it too. I don't doubt that world film will be cool - I am sure they will find ways to make it cool and they will probably take us over some of the Disney parks in France and or Asia - but I know quite a few people who will be sad to see the California film go. People I know who have moved away from California but have gone back to DLR, watched the film in Soarin' and said it really made them miss the state and almost want to move back. Sort of a nostalgic feeling. But that doesn't necessarily carry over to people who have never lived here nor have any desire to live here! So the 'world' film will be more inclusive of everyone, I guess.

I'm just about positive that Epcot's film is exactly the same, including the Disneyland scene at the end.

I don't doubt that my friend made a mistake. I did ask her twice, and both times she said she didn't think she saw holiday Disneyland at the end of the WDW clip, but she is not as big a Disney fanatic as we all are here so she probably doesn't look for details as closely as the rest of us do!!:lmao: She does love Disneyland, but we here on DISboards LOOOOOOOVVVVEEE Disneyland!!:love: And we all discuss every intricate detail of everything that is happening, eaten, sold, or built in the parks, so we would be more inclined to notice differences or likenesses!:thumbsup2

That is what I thought. I don't want to lose the orange blossom smell (with the non-orange trees) or the spritz from the ocean mist! I hope they keep that in! I don't want to lose the Disneyland Christmas sequence at the end. I have never been to WDW/Epcot, so I haven't seen their version of the Soarin' film, but my friend who went in December last year was saying that she doesn't think their version has the holiday Disneyland clip that I love at the end. She says she only recalls seeing that in DCA. But I think the rest of it is the same. At first, I did think it was kind of weird to have a California film in Florida, if it is the same film, but then I figured California is where it all began for DL, and if there were no DL, there would be no WDW, so I guess it is sort of a tip of the hat to the orginal. The Soarin' 'world' film will make MUCH more sense in Epcot, but I think they should keep the California film in DCA. They are really trying to de-emphasize the California aspect of DCA, it seems to me! I STILL think a name change for DCA is on the horizon in the next few years!!!
I think you've hit it-they SHOULD keep the CA version at DCA and change the one in EPCOT.

Craziness, I tell ya.

Meh, I don't want them to change Soarin'. Change the one at WDW, not ours. :(

And it would make so much more sense to change the one in WDW/Epcot to a 'world' theme, but leaving the California one here. Unless they are planning to totally eliminate all specific references to California in DCA - which doesn't seem to be what Disney is admitting to - then I don't see why they can't leave the same film in Soarin'. I imagine that down the road, people will get tired of the Soarin' ride like they do with Star Tours, and will want to see a new film, but Soarin' has not been around THAT long out here that it needs to be changed yet!!

I don't doubt that my friend made a mistake. I did ask her twice, and both times she said she didn't think she saw holiday Disneyland at the end of the WDW clip, but she is not as big a Disney fanatic as we all are here so she probably doesn't look for details as closely as the rest of us do!!:lmao: She does love Disneyland, but we here on DISboards LOOOOOOOVVVVEEE Disneyland!!:love: And we all discuss every intricate detail of everything that is happening, eaten, sold, or built in the parks, so we would be more inclined to notice differences or likenesses!:thumbsup2

I've ridden on Soarin' in Epcot 3 times. Unless WDW has a smallish pink castle .....with an alpine mountain next to it......& a beautifully decorated IASW directly behind this alpine mountain.....then Epcot's version features Walt's Park at the end....not the one in the swamp. ;) :lmao:

& I agree with most everyone that:

- would love to have Soarin continue to end at DL...even if we fly around the world (instead of just Cal).
- won't miss the Muppets (but i liked them...alot).
- am sure that the imagineers will do it right.

I like the idea of replacing / revamping the jellyfishes, maliboomer, Mullholland madness & sunwheel. Am very curious as to the location of the entrance & also about the "Walt Disney area" that was mentioned.

The whole Soarin' thing has me slightly puzzled. Why does it need to change? Disney World has Soarin' over California in EPCOT... and it's not a California themed park. (isn't it the same film??)

Then again, I guess it might be neat to have the same technology with a different film...

I'm gong to miss the orange grove smell...with the non-orange trees :rolleyes1
Ok, I have to be the one to say it, those are indeed Orange Trees, I have driven past them myself on a few occasions. I think the one thing that people forget is how many varieties or Oranges grow in California. I can't remember the exact type of oranges that they grow there though, but they definitely are orange trees (at least they were when Soarin' Over California was filmed and for at least a few years after, I haven't been by them in the last two years or so, so they may have changed, but I doubt it).

BTW, the OP has quite a few things a little off, for example the entrance is to be themed to what Hollywood and L.A. looked like when Walt arrived initially, this would definitely not be Main Street, U.S.A.

Here is one of many articles that talk about the $1.1 billion makeover:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney16-2008oct16,0,4646061.story

There are many others as well.

Oh dear, I'm going to have to get on Soarin' Over California before they take it down! I still haven't been on that yet!!

I should probably get on MuppetVision 3-D too, for the sake of going on it before it goes down.....
2 of the absolute best parts of DCA!

Meh, I don't want them to change Soarin'. Change the one at WDW, not ours. :(
Agreed!

At the time of filming, at least, that "orange" grove was actually avocado trees.

And my two cents? I think Disney is going to drop the references to California, but leave the name, as the park is an adventure IN California.

I love the Muppets movie, and I love Philharmagic, but I hope DCA gets a brand new, unique movie.

You know, I really wouldn't mind if they brought Philarmagic here. It would just be one less reason to go to WDW and stay in DL foreverrrrrr :rotfl2:

Theming the entrace to old hollywood makes perfect sense then and I think it works. I like all the changes they are bringing. We may not like them at first but once I stop being stubborn about it I know I will love it. Think of how much change has gone on at DL and like it or not it has all been for the better and greater good of that park. Soarin MUST end at DL at christmas in the new film...it just has to!! :)

I agree with YellowMickeyPoncho's that I am not a fan of the complete copying of the MGM entrance. I know I know it's now Disney Hollywood Studios but why can't they come up with an original idea or just leave the letters out in front of CA?

They can't leave the letters out front, as they actually have to bump out the front of the park into the plaza in order to achieve the "Main Street" effect. The distance from the entrace to the Sun Fountain is too short to have a real "Main Street" for the trolley to travel. If they put the entrance gates out where the CALIFORNIA is now, they will have the room they need.

Is it a definite that they are changing Soarin here? Frankly this thread was the first time I had heard that rumor. I don't think it's anything for us to really get worked up about yet. I can see them paying to redo the Star Tours film, before they redo Soarin here.

At the time of filming, at least, that "orange" grove was actually avocado trees.

This is what I read as well, hence the non orange trees comment I made previously. As I understand it, houses now reside where those avocado trees once were...

But who knows. The source I read could have had their "orange/avocado" groves mixed up with other ones since another poster here is indicating they drive by it often...

At the time of filming, at least, that "orange" grove was actually avocado trees.QUOTE]

This is what I read as well, hence the non orange trees comment I made previously. As I understand it, houses now reside where those avocado trees once were...

But who knows. The source I read could have had their "orange/avocado" groves mixed up with other ones since another poster here is indicating they drive by it often...

Now when I go in two weeks I am going to really get a good look at these trees but I have always remembered them as looking like orange trees. My family has orchards out in az and they grow oranges, lemons and grapefruit. But idk...who knows!

And I also heard the soarin movie was changing but I am all for it because I think it will be quite neat and obviously they will have to keep it up to the previous movies standards and will have special effects. They just better have it end at DL christmas cause that part even gives me goosebumps!!! :goodvibes

They can't leave the letters out front, as they actually have to bump out the front of the park into the plaza in order to achieve the "Main Street" effect. The distance from the entrace to the Sun Fountain is too short to have a real "Main Street" for the trolley to travel. If they put the entrance gates out where the CALIFORNIA is now, they will have the room they need.

Is it a definite that they are changing Soarin here? Frankly this thread was the first time I had heard that rumor. I don't think it's anything for us to really get worked up about yet. I can see them paying to redo the Star Tours film, before they redo Soarin here.

This is indeed happening, the exact details may vary, but there IS a $1.1 billion dollar makeover going on, they currently haver construction for a new water show at Paradise Pier going on. The Sun Wheel is currently having Mickey added to it, Toy Story Mania was the beginning of this makeover; although, it's budget was not part of the $1.1 billion.

Click Here to read about the preview center at DCA, this was setup to specifically give a preview of what they are going to do. When I get a chance to go over there I will post some pictures and/or video as I can.

There are other websites that talk more in depths about the makeover, but I don't think I am allowed to post links to them as they have their own discussion boards.

As for the "CALIFORNIA" letters, they keep going back and forth about keeping it or removing it, but from what I understand, the entrance will actually be closer to where the Timon tram route is currently, as there will be no need for it once this is completed and the Timon lot is removed completely. In addition, if they kept them, they could just move them.

Another point to correct is they are not removing the California theme, just adjusting it a bit to encompass more of the old California.

Also, growing up we had Avocado trees, as well as numerous varieties of Orange trees, those are not Avocado trees, if the rumor suggested some other form of citrus, I could possibly see that, but the leaves of Avocado trees look completely different and Disney, while they do make mistakes, would not make that large of one or they would have been called on it numerous times. In addition, Avocado trees grow in different shapes than Orange Trees, even in Orchards.

Oh no, they are definitely not removing it! I think there would be a mutiny if they did that! Since they are revamping and even removing the whole 'California theme' form the park, the film you see in Soarin' is going to change, so it will no longer be Soarin' Over California. We won't see all the beautiful California scenery like we do now (well, maybe they will leave in some of it). They are replacing it with a new film of the world. We will probably be soaring over the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids and Big Ben, as well as other places in the U.S. So, it will become Soarin' Over the World. My favorite part of Soarin' has been at the end, when you soar over Disneyland in its holiday splendor. Now, that this is a 'world' theme rather than a California theme, I wonder if they will remove that

I'm on board with the other changes to DCA... but I REALLY WISH they'd leave Soarin' over California alone!!! I think they should put the new Soarin' over the World in Florida. Having a California themed attraction there never did make sense...:rotfl:

I think sometimes, they should just let the original be!!

I'd also like to see Mickey's Philharmagic here at DCA!! It's one of my very favorite things at WDW!!!! I LOVE the classic Mickey/Donald thing. Are you listening, Disney imagineers??? Lots of us still love the ORIGINAL characters- you know, the Mouse that started it all?

How about they rename it WESCOT? :lmao:

OK, coming from a guy who lives in the Midwest and has visited both parks a couple of times, so I'm not an expert. I just have an opinion.

I really believe that DCA has gotten a bad rap all these years, and a lot of that has to do with native Californians not getting excited about their own state. In one sense I can understand that since when I go to the county fair I don't go looking at the cows since I see them everyday living in Wisconsin.

However, from a non-CA point of view, DCA was something really cool because it showed us a little bit of California, which is the reason we were visiting. I'm disappointed to see the CA sign taken down, but I'm sure those that live in CA don't care. Again, it's like people coming through WI, they have to stop at the border and take a photo under the "Welcome To Wisconsin" sign.

I hope they don't go with a mainstreet type entrance. It would be cool if they went with an early 20's LA type entrance. It needs to keep that west coast flavor.

As for Soarin', they can do what they like, just keep the oranges and the last scene over DL. They better not change the ride music!!!! I can't imagine a music that makes me think of flying more than that one.

Wish they'd get rid of the swings. DCA needs a couple more dark rides. Too bad they didn't do one based on old time mining, it could have competed with Pirates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter