California Adventure gets scrubbed

wise king mickey

The Plaid Mouseketeer
Hello all:

Over the next 4-5 years, DCA will undergo a massive revamp, including retheming of all of Paradise Pier and sizable undertakings elsewhere. It's already begun, with the addition of Toy Story Midway Mania and the roving High School Musical 3 mobile stage show. Here is a summary of what's going on; special thanks to MasterGracey on the MiceChat boards (as this is essentially his list):

Sunshine Plaza is to become Walt Disney Plaza, park icon (currently Grizzly Peak) is to be changed, Red Trolley transport system will be added, Carthay Theatre building will be built, housing an undisclosed attraction (could be Walt Disney Story, Resort Preview Center, or something else), plaza is to be re-facaded [is that a word?] to resemble more closely Main Street U.S.A.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot is to be renamed Hollywoodland, Hollywood Boulevard will be rethemed and possibly widened, with possible inclusion of Red Car Trolley route, Hyperion Theater gets a new show (a Toy Story musical), and MuppetVision 3*D is slated to be replaced; possibly featuring Mickey's PhilharMagic or a Chronicles of Narnia attraction.

Paradise Pier gets smackered: Sun Wheel becomes Mickey's Fun Wheel, Mullholland Madness is converted to Goofy's Sky School, Orange Stinger becomes the Silly Symphony Swings, Maliboomer is to be removed, Jumpin' Jellyfish is to be removed, Ariel's Grotto restaurant will be rethemed to Princess Palace, Pizza Oom Mow Mow and Burger Invasion will be removed to make room for the amphitheatre for the upcoming World of Color show (think Fantasmic), S.S. Rustworthy kid's play area to be replaced by [get this] a Beer Garden [how do you MAKE that leap? :confused: :laughing:], and Little Mermaid-themed Ariel's Adventure attraction to be added, adjacent Ariel's Grotto to replace Golden Dreams.

Golden State undergoes some changes, too: Seasons of the Vine theater HAS ALREADY BEEN replaced by the Blue Sky Cellar (future attractions preview center), Condor Flats is to be rethemed (it is unclear as to what the new theme will be; sources suggest a crossroads-of-the-world airport town-- do we have anyone from Gander, Newfoundland-Labrador, out there?), and Soarin' Over California is slated to become "Soarin' Over The World," with a new video.

And Disney will also be unveiling-- ta-da!-- Cars Land. It is set to feature three attractions, one of which will be a Test-Track style pseudocoaster, the other two "family-friendly", plus two restaurants and a gift shop.

ALSO: While the entrance is being rethemed in '09 and '10, the entrance will be moved between Soarin' and the Grand Californian Hotel (the large, chain-linked gate; access will be via Dowtown Disney).

Hope this list helps!

I didn't realize that Grizzly Peak was being changed. I thought that the Golden Gate Bridge was being removed. I am looking forward to the Toy Story musical, and I wish they would put in Mickey's PhilharMagic, but I think it will be Narnia.

Grizzly Peak is remaining the same, it just won't be featured in all the advertising and such. Sorry for the confusion.

Grizzly Peak is remaining the same, it just won't be featured in all the advertising and such. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, okay! I see what you mean! So there will be a new icon in all the artwork and ads. Very interesting. I still think that the DCA name will be changed eventually - and I know there was talk of that before, but then people said it would not be changed. It may not be a huge name change, but I think they will alter the name of the park slightly down the road.

Remember when DCA first opened and everyone thought the grizzly was a wolf? :rotfl2:
That always made me want to yell at them and say that it's a grizzly bear. Why would it be a wolf? It's definately NOT the state animal.

I still think it looks more like a wolf, and until I read your post I NEVER got the connection between the state animal. :rotfl:

I keep telling people my CA public education was awful, but I didn't quite realize just HOW awful until now! :lmao:

Oh dear, I'm going to have to get on Soarin' Over California before they take it down! I still haven't been on that yet!!

I should probably get on MuppetVision 3-D too, for the sake of going on it before it goes down... But that won't be for another year, right?

I wonder what the new Park Icon would be... The Carthay Theatre?

And that makes me wonder, Sherry... What would they rename the park?

Hmm... Veeery interesting.... (strokes chin)

Oh dear, I'm going to have to get on Soarin' Over California before they take it down! I still haven't been on that yet!!

I should probably get on MuppetVision 3-D too, for the sake of going on it before it goes down... But that won't be for another year, right?

I wonder what the new Park Icon would be... The Carthay Theatre?

And that makes me wonder, Sherry... What would they rename the park?

Hmm... Veeery interesting.... (strokes chin)

I wonder that, too. Back when a name change was first being tossed around as a possible result of this DCA makeover, Disney never announced what they would consider calling it. And then some people here in DIS were saying no, there would not be a name change after all. To me, though, it seems like the changes in theme that they are making to the park will be significant enough where that California Adventure may not be entirely fitting anymore. They could still keep the name or they may just slightly change it, but I just have a hunch that down the road somewhere, DCA will go the way of Disney MGM and EuroDisney and become something new. I mean, the California letters at the entrance are coming down, and the Golden Gate Bridge is coming down. It just seems like a new name would follow sooner or later. It may be as simple as going from 'Disney's California Adventure' to 'Walt Disney's California Adventure'!

I wonder that, too. Back when a name change was first being tossed around as a possible result of this DCA makeover, Disney never announced what they would consider calling it. And then some people here in DIS were saying no, there would not be a name change after all. To me, though, it seems like the changes in theme that they are making to the park will be significant enough where that California Adventure may not be entirely fitting anymore. They could still keep the name or they may just slightly change it, but I just have a hunch that down the road somewhere, DCA will go the way of Disney MGM and EuroDisney and become something new. I mean, the California letters at the entrance are coming down, and the Golden Gate Bridge is coming down. It just seems like a new name would follow sooner or later. It may be as simple as going from 'Disney's California Adventure' to 'Walt Disney's California Adventure'!

I never knew that a new name was a possibility out of this project. I've just been to the ad nauseum about how excited I am about the new Little Mermaid ride and World of Colors I must have missed that tidbit hahaha :lmao:.
I agree with you on that, though; I think with all the makeovers, Disney's California Adventure may not be as fitting anymore, especially since the famous letters are going down :-)(), as is the Golden Gate, as you said before. It seems like they're gong back in time with the forefront, something I'd really like, mirroring Main Street...

Now thinking of a name to tie the new "Old" entryway, Hollywoodland, A Bug's Land, and Cars Land... Hrm...

Meh. Maybe just keep DCA hahaha

I'm great with the rest of the changes, but it just bugs me that the new entry gates look exactly like the entry to Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW. It's almost like they said "We already have these blueprints and they're the right size....."

I'm great with the rest of the changes, but it just bugs me that the new entry gates look exactly like the entry to Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW. It's almost like they said "We already have these blueprints and they're the right size....."

Too true but you had to admit nancy that those entrance gates are more pleasing and fit in with the project. I like that they are putting so much work into this park... but I get that you are maybe saying disney should come up with something new instead of remaking their parks at each resort destination. Pretty soon WDW and DL would be so similar there is no point in going to one over the other. Of course that is exaggerating a tiny tiny bit :rotfl:

Will they be removing Soarin? I don't understand. That's my second favorite ride.

Will they be removing Soarin? I don't understand. That's my second favorite ride.

Oh no, they are definitely not removing it! I think there would be a mutiny if they did that! Since they are revamping and even removing the whole 'California theme' form the park, the film you see in Soarin' is going to change, so it will no longer be Soarin' Over California. We won't see all the beautiful California scenery like we do now (well, maybe they will leave in some of it). They are replacing it with a new film of the world. We will probably be soaring over the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids and Big Ben, as well as other places in the U.S. So, it will become Soarin' Over the World. My favorite part of Soarin' has been at the end, when you soar over Disneyland in its holiday splendor. Now, that this is a 'world' theme rather than a California theme, I wonder if they will remove that

The whole Soarin' thing has me slightly puzzled. Why does it need to change? Disney World has Soarin' over California in EPCOT... and it's not a California themed park. (isn't it the same film??)

Then again, I guess it might be neat to have the same technology with a different film...

I'm gong to miss the orange grove smell...with the non-orange trees :rolleyes1

The whole Soarin' thing has me slightly puzzled. Why does it need to change? Disney World has Soarin' over California in EPCOT... and it's not a California themed park. (isn't it the same film??)

Then again, I guess it might be neat to have the same technology with a different film...

I'm gong to miss the orange grove smell...with the non-orange trees :rolleyes1

That is what I thought. I don't want to lose the orange blossom smell (with the non-orange trees) or the spritz from the ocean mist! I hope they keep that in! I don't want to lose the Disneyland Christmas sequence at the end. I have never been to WDW/Epcot, so I haven't seen their version of the Soarin' film, but my friend who went in December last year was saying that she doesn't think their version has the holiday Disneyland clip that I love at the end. She says she only recalls seeing that in DCA. But I think the rest of it is the same. At first, I did think it was kind of weird to have a California film in Florida, if it is the same film, but then I figured California is where it all began for DL, and if there were no DL, there would be no WDW, so I guess it is sort of a tip of the hat to the orginal. The Soarin' 'world' film will make MUCH more sense in Epcot, but I think they should keep the California film in DCA. They are really trying to de-emphasize the California aspect of DCA, it seems to me! I STILL think a name change for DCA is on the horizon in the next few years!!!

I agree with YellowMickeyPoncho's that I am not a fan of the complete copying of the MGM entrance. I know I know it's now Disney Hollywood Studios but why can't they come up with an original idea or just leave the letters out in front of CA? With my family being so far away we enjoy the element of it being "California" and we'll really miss the Soarin over CALIFORNIA.

On our next trip we really want to hit the Northern part of Cali. The dream is to go to Yosemite, San Fran, and monterey and then be able to drive down to DL and ride Soarin and relive all those great sites.

That is what I thought. I don't want to lose the orange blossom smell (with the non-orange trees) or the spritz from the ocean mist! I hope they keep that in! I don't want to lose the Disneyland Christmas sequence at the end. I have never been to WDW/Epcot, so I haven't seen their version of the Soarin' film, but my friend who went in December last year was saying that she doesn't think their version has the holiday Disneyland clip that I love at the end. She says she only recalls seeing that in DCA. But I think the rest of it is the same. At first, I did think it was kind of weird to have a California film in Florida, if it is the same film, but then I figured California is where it all began for DL, and if there were no DL, there would be no WDW, so I guess it is sort of a tip of the hat to the orginal. The Soarin' 'world' film will make MUCH more sense in Epcot, but I think they should keep the California film in DCA. They are really trying to de-emphasize the California aspect of DCA, it seems to me! I STILL think a name change for DCA is on the horizon in the next few years!!!

WDW's Soarin' is exactly the same with the exception of "California" not on the signage, etc. or the pre show movie. Other than that it's exactly the same right down the the last scenes where if you look closely enough you can see some of the traffic on Ball Rd. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter