• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cabanas Disappointment

The omelet station is near where the pastries were located, from what I remember almost a year ago. It was the only station with a grill behind it. A CM took the order and gave you a number to put on the table. They brought it to you when it was done.

They also had "pre fab" omelettes, sitting under warming lamps at the omelette station. I would rather order one with slightly different ingredients and get a freshly made-to-order omelette.

I know on the Fantasy 3 weeks ago,they told me everytime I went in an they handed me the wipe for the first 2 days.Ive cruise 8 times on Princess,an I loved the just go to where you want on the Fantasy.....so much easier then waiting behind eveyone desiding what they want,an standing in line for something you want at the end of the row.

People get so territorial when it comes to buffet lines. On the Magic in September we ate at PC for lunch one day. I really liked one of the seafood dishes so I went back for seconds. There were a couple ladies getting salad and the dish I wanted was towards the end of the line- several food pans later. I didn't think it was neccessary to wait behind the ladies picking at the salad at a snail's pace so I went ahead to get the one dish I wanted. The ladies flipped out and started screaming (and swearing I think) in their language. They got so upset and I really thought one of the women was going to hit me. I was done before they even moved on to the next dish!

I agree with quickcat. I prefer the classic ships for meals. The variety doesn't make up for the chaos.

We loved! Cabanas we were on the Dream in June and still talk about the great food we had and never felt to hectic maybe we just went at the right times.:love:

I have left negative comments about Cabanas each time we got off the Dream. I like the selection and I dig the "station" concept but it is always chaos. The company that practically invented queuing has blown this one. At very least they should but up poles with the straps to separate the stations. It is hard to break people of the habit of queuing like a buffet. I heard a castmember describe the process the first time we were in the restaurant on our first Dream trip but on two occasions I have heard 2 comments like, "does this jerk think he's special?" because I just went to the station I wanted to.

I avoid it like the plague. It's not a new concept or the only botched setup. The non-buffet on deck on pirate night was the same way. We gave up. I don't feel like being aggressive on vacation. At very least they should create mini-queues at each station because too many today are not considerate of others and think they know the rules.

I had a hard time at first NOT queuing up at Cabana's, even though we had been told. Usually tried to make a comment to one of the kids like "no, it's not a lineup ... if the food you want is right there, just go and get it." ;)

But it's a lot like being at a counter service in WDW ... big line up on the righthand side, CM is saying "both sides folks, both sides" ... no one moves, so I go up to the left side and place my order ahead of those that were there ahead of us. :rotfl: I always wait to see if anyone that was there before me moves when the CM says it, but if not, we're off to the races. Usually gets people moving ! LOL

Wow! Some people can be rude. I must be oblivious because I never noticed anyone giving me the stink eye or making snarky comments when I went to Cabanas. I never experienced what I would consider overcrowding (except once or twice finding a table, but not at the buffet) and I honestly don't remember a CM telling us how it worked. Maybe they did; but it didn't register. It's just so obvious--there are plates everywhere! I probably left a trail of snarling passengers behind me ;)

We sailed twice on a FL rate. I wonder if that equaled a higher number of "experienced" passengers? And maybe less confusion at the buffet. Who knows?

My wife hates walking in front of people at Cabanas. I found I would loudly remind her of how it works, and then she was at ease, and everyone around us that heard me, would not give the dirty looks anymore.

It's really just educating people. But that's easier said than done.

I guess I am part of the minority that thought Cabanas should be operated a little differently, flame away. I thought the food was great, however, they need to let people know that you do not have to line up "cafeteria" style. I had a CM tell me that I did not have to stand in line, to get get what I wanted and that's when the problems start because people think you are cutting in front of them. They were not telling everyone that came through the door this, just every once in a while they would tell a few people. They should definitely put up signs OR announce it to ALL Cabanas guests. :goodvibes

I believe few would read the signs if they had them, look at how well they listen to what they read about not saving chairs. Not meaning to start a whole new line to this thread.

I agree I wish there was more education but there will always be those who continue to use it the "wrong" way. Because most other places are not set up that way.

Am I the only one that skips the salad bar and moves to the hot line food at Crystal Palace? Essentially I guess I am cutting but they are so slow picking there salad stuff and usually there is a break in the line so I do not slow them down. If they were waiting for the hot food I would not do it.

OP, I am interested in exactly how RC sets it up and what ship you are talking about. I might like to try that!

I was on a Carnival ship last year and their buffet is set up the traditional way and is a nightmare.:crazy2: One night we had to eat there because we got back to the ship late and I went to the sandwich deli, which is not much better, but there was no way I was doing that line with the people in line at that time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter