Cabanas Disappointment

emilykarpinski

Earning My Ears
Sort of a random thing but since I recently got off the Dream, one of the things that bugged me was Cabanas. The setup for starters I found inconvenient. I've been on Royal Caribbean cruises as well and their buffet breakfast/lunch area was set up in more circular island type stations, one for each type of food, not the cafeteria style that Cabanas is. For me personally, I think the cafeteria style is horribly annoying especially when you get stuck behind someone who's moving at a glacial speed. I found myself waiting in front of food that I didn't even want, just to get to food a few stations down. Another thing I wasn't a fan of was the lack of variety, I felt like all week it was the same exact food for breakfast and lunch. I don't expect a totally new spread every day but a little variety would've been nice. Does anyone else share my thoughts about Cabanas, or am I alone in this!?

Cabanas is not cafeteria style. The Castmembers repeatedly tell people to simply go to the station that you want food from without waiting in the line. I get glaring looks every time I do this; but, I know I'm doing the correct thing.

cabanas is set up that you can go into any pod area and not cafeteria style. Most people aren't aware of that and just get in line like they would a buffet.

I go to the station that has what I would like and get behind anyone that is there in front of me.

Cabanas is not cafeteria style. The Castmembers repeatedly tell people to simply go to the station that you want food from without waiting in the line. I get glaring looks every time I do this; but, I know I'm doing the correct thing.

That is my experience also. I don't know why people still think it is cafeteria style. I just walk right up to the stations I am interested in and get what I want. The only place I usually have to wait for a person or two ahead of me is the carving station.

Sort of a random thing but since I recently got off the Dream, one of the things that bugged me was Cabanas. The setup for starters I found inconvenient. I've been on Royal Caribbean cruises as well and their buffet breakfast/lunch area was set up in more circular island type stations, one for each type of food, not the cafeteria style that Cabanas is. For me personally, I think the cafeteria style is horribly annoying especially when you get stuck behind someone who's moving at a glacial speed. I found myself waiting in front of food that I didn't even want, just to get to food a few stations down. Another thing I wasn't a fan of was the lack of variety, I felt like all week it was the same exact food for breakfast and lunch. I don't expect a totally new spread every day but a little variety would've been nice. Does anyone else share my thoughts about Cabanas, or am I alone in this!?

Sorry...gotta disagree. I thought the variety in Cabanas was great and loved that you go to different areas and get different things. Much prefer it over the classic ships buffet set up. Cabanas is not a real buffet line in the traditional sense...you are supposed to be able to go up to food you want without waiting for other who want different food but many people don't get that and wait in line like a traditional buffet...as yes, some people don't understand the concept so when you do go in front of the food you want they get mad but I still like Cabanas very much.

I totally do not think "cafeteria" when I am in Cabanas.

MJ

Echoing what others have said, it is not cafeteria style. What's mind boggling is that there is neither a sign or a cast member that informs those who don't know that. I have more of an issue with the size of the space. It can be crazy fighting the crowds just commuting around and those getting food. I still like Cabanas and feel that the variety is good enough for me.

I have often seen CM's telling people how the pods work on several cruises so they do try but I bet it is a losing battle. People like to line up like sheep.

MJ

I too love Cabanas and its selections of food! After reading all the advice/tips from fellow DISers, I just lined up at each station and did not have to wait long during my cruise last summer. I was surprised by the tasty food offered at Cabanas, and would eat there more next time I am on Dream again.

I think the un-formality of the lines, the non-herding like sheep in a row is what I like best about Cabanas. We were just on the Magic and I got stuck in the line-up at least twice inching my way along through lots of selections I didn't care for (seafood stuff) just to get to a few things at the end I wanted. Aggravating. I like going to the "pod" that has what I want then moving on without the grand lineup. Works better particularly for the picky eaters and non-seafood eaters. :thumbsup2

When I read the thread title I thought the thread was about the private cabanas on Castaway Cay. LOL! I thought, "Cabanas??? How can someone be disappointed in their cabana?!?! Is that possible????" We loved loved loved ours! :cutie:

Then this essentially reinforces my point that it isn't set up well, if no one knows that it's pod style then they should've made it easier to follow.

Then this essentially reinforces my point that it isn't set up well, if no one knows that it's pod style then they should've made it easier to follow.

I'm sorry you didn't find out it was pod-style vs. lineup while there. If you had known and could've gone pod to pod do you think you might have liked it better? I guess it can be kinda chaotic. We generally try to avoid the busier times and go at the very beginning or very end of service because chaos in general will always detract from an experience for us. Understanding that little quirk of ours has really helped us plan better for ourselves. I still kinda push myself to do the character meets and pictures before dinner which can be a total madhouse. Sounds awful but I've found a cocktail before heading into the masses really takes that edge off for me. :thumbsup2

We preferred Cabanas to Topsiders. Now that the kids can handle their own tray it is much easier. We all go to where we want food and meet back at the table. Takes a lot less time, especially after the first day when you learn where what you want is located.

Add me to the list of Cabanas lovers! We have experienced Cabanas on both the Dream and the Fantasy and I thought it was obvious that they weren't traditional one-line buffets. There are plate stands throughout the restaurant, indicating that you can start anywhere. (They remind me a lot of Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.) I had no issues going to each pod and never saw a line form. The variety of foods was wonderful and I truly enjoyed every meal I had there.

As others have said, Cabanas is a huge improvement over Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet on the classic ships. I am hoping that the rumors of a Topsiders-to-Cabanas conversion are true.

I suppose I should clarify my views, I don't hate Cabanas, I just didn't love it. I was just expecting something much more efficient from Disney. When I went on the Serenade of the Seas the flow was much easier. Because they were in completely separate, unattached stations there wasn't as much clutter and chaos. It's not that I wouldn't go back because I certainly would its just that I had higher hopes for it and they were let down upon arrival.

I do see what you mean- I actually thought it was rather nuts in there everytime. You have some people who thinks its one big long line and you are suppose to stay in it, then you have the people who go straight where they want to like their hair is on fire and you just hope you arent in their way, then you have the others who just stand in the walk way trying to figure out where to go (which is where I was most of the time ;)).
I went to breakfast right when it opened to avoid some of it and at lunch I loved the wraps and sandwiches at Luigis/Tow Mater area so that is where I ate.
I know I am in the HUGE minority, but I would rather have Topsider or Beach Blanket buffets :) Those just didnt seem so chaotic. Maybe I just like lining up like sheep :lmao:

Why didn't you just move past the slow pokes........that is why Cabannas is set upo the way it is..to let you move around poeple. If you didn't its your own fualt.

Frankly we found the food and selection at Cabannas to be excellent, but to each their own.

AKK

Yum!!! Cabana's have enjoyed every meal i have eaten in there!! No problems with having to wait to get my food either! Guess this goes under can't please everyone!!

What I don't like about Cabanas is this: I saw someone with an omelet, but did not see an omelet station.
I think Cabanas is just OK. I prefer a sit down meal. Also, I have been on cruises where the servers bring the coffee, drinks, as a matter of course in the buffet. I like that better, too.

Bobbi:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter