Cabanas are they worth it?

Paula Sedley-Burke

Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...
Hi All. DW and I are going on the Disney Dream ( so excited ) in November and would really like to hear peoples experiences of renting a cabana on Castaway Cay. They are quite pricey so for those who have rented one do you feel you got value for money and would you do it again? Thanks.

Hi All. DW and I are going on the Disney Dream ( so excited ) in November and would really like to hear peoples experiences of renting a cabana on Castaway Cay. They are quite pricey so for those who have rented one do you feel you got value for money and would you do it again? Thanks.

We've rented one twice on the Family Beach and enjoyed them both. As you say, they are quite pricey, so the value for the money is really up to the individual. The only things we didn't like was that the swimming area is more rocky than the rest of the beach and that the tide was going out both times, so by early/mid afternoon the water in front of the cabanas was pretty shallow. I could go all the way out to the rope (probably 200 - 300 feet from shore) and the water was only up to my knees.

They were both well stocked with sodas, water, snacks and sunscreen. The wet towels in the refrigerator were nice because it was hot. It was nice to be able to go to Cookies Too and bring lunch back. We were in numbers 4 and 5, so it was only a short walk to get something to eat.

We're going on the Dream next week and have a cabana booked at Serenity Bay (now that DS is 18 and can be there with us).

We've rented one twice on the Family Beach and enjoyed them both. As you say, they are quite pricey, so the value for the money is really up to the individual. The only things we didn't like was that the swimming area is more rocky than the rest of the beach and that the tide was going out both times, so by early/mid afternoon the water in front of the cabanas was pretty shallow. I could go all the way out to the rope (probably 200 - 300 feet from shore) and the water was only up to my knees.

They were both well stocked with sodas, water, snacks and sunscreen. The wet towels in the refrigerator were nice because it was hot. It was nice to be able to go to Cookies Too and bring lunch back. We were in numbers 4 and 5, so it was only a short walk to get something to eat.

We're going on the Dream next week and have a cabana booked at Serenity Bay (now that DS is 18 and can be there with us).

I would love to read your comparison between the two types of cabanas. We were thinking of booking one on Serenity Bay but wasn't sure if it was worth it as it's quiet there anyway. Thanks.

Thank you for that report that is useful. I would love to hear the comparison when you get back also!

Loved Cabana 2 with our party of 10 that included four kids under 5. Concierge host had noticed that my FIL loved the popcorn and stocked that snack in our cabana. The shade gave my youngest nephew a place to nap in the mid afternoon in a pack n' play that they set up in advance for us. Was nice to be near food and restrooms. Private beach area and toys were great for the kids. We all got off the ship at different times and the Cabana gave us an easy place to meet up - and a spot for my DH to change privately and shower off after doing the 5K. And concierge even chilled a couple bottles of wine from our wine package and had them waiting in the cabana for us when we arrived. Now whenever I drink Conundrum I'm transported back to Castaway. :cloud9:

For us, the expense was totally worth making the day something we could enjoy to the fullest.

Thanks CoolHandsGirl. You have now transported me back there! We did the 3 night on the disney dream last year and it was so hot on CC we were jealously looking at the cabanas. But we just wanted to hear first hand from people that had rented them if they thought they were worth the bucks or not. So thanks! I love the idea of the shade. Trouble is there is just two of us so it works out quite pricey. They should do smaller couples ones!

I would love to read your comparison between the two types of cabanas. We were thinking of booking one on Serenity Bay but wasn't sure if it was worth it as it's quiet there anyway. Thanks.

Yes, it is quiet at Serenity Bay, but we decided to splurge a little because we aren't doing any other excursions this cruise. We may take a taxi over to Atlantis while we're in Nassau, just to wander around and maybe throw a few bucks in the slots, but that's about it. We do like the fact that the cabanas come with tubes/floats, and bike and snorkel rental included in the price.

I'll try to remember to come back and post a comparison.

I love the idea of the shade. Trouble is there is just two of us so it works out quite pricey. They should do smaller couples ones!

We really liked having shade and I even fell asleep for a short while on the couch inside the cabana. Since all of us get sunburned fairly easily, it was nice to be able to get completely out of the sun. Since it's just the two of you, I would opt for one at Serenity Bay over the Family Beach. The ones at SB are $100 cheaper, and the lunch is usually better there too.

Oh I didnt realise that re the cabanas at SB being cheaper! Thank you!

You're welcome.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are only 3 or 4 cabanas at SB, so you should book one as soon as you're able. If you change your mind later, you can cancel up to three days prior to boarding the ship without incurring any charge.

Oh no! I have just gone in to book a cabana and they are all fully booked :-( I was too slow! They must be up for grabs earlier than I thought. How disappointing! I wonder if anyone would notice a little stowaway in their cabana...

Oh no! I have just gone in to book a cabana and they are all fully booked :-( I was too slow! They must be up for grabs earlier than I thought. How disappointing! I wonder if anyone would notice a little stowaway in their cabana...

It sounds like you are within 120 days of sailing, so Concierge and Platinum guests may have gotten them already. Keep checking - at least daily. People do cancel. Good Luck!

Edited to add: If none are available before you board, go to Guest Services or the Shore Excursions desk once you board. They usually keep a waitlist, and people have been known to cancel onboard.

Oh thanks I will keep checking. I guess with limited cabanas they will get booked by platinum guests etc. This is only our second cruise so we don't have the ability yet! Just have to keep sailing!

Oh thanks I will keep checking. I guess with limited cabanas they will get booked by platinum guests etc. This is only our second cruise so we don't have the ability yet! Just have to keep sailing!

You probably already know this, but just in case...... you must be paid in full and within your excursions booking window to book them (or any other excursion for that matter). Not sure of your sail date, but since this is your second cruise, your booking window isn't open until 90 days out.

Thanks. Sail date is November 1st and I have paid the full balance. I can now book excursions as we are at 78 days. My fault for not getting in sooner re cabanas. I missed the 90 day window :-(

Thanks. Sail date is November 1st and I have paid the full balance. I can now book excursions as we are at 78 days. My fault for not getting in sooner re cabanas. I missed the 90 day window :-(

Keep checking. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and here's some pixie dust pixiedust:. Good Luck!

Thanks CoolHandsGirl. You have now transported me back there! We did the 3 night on the disney dream last year and it was so hot on CC we were jealously looking at the cabanas. But we just wanted to hear first hand from people that had rented them if they thought they were worth the bucks or not. So thanks! I love the idea of the shade. Trouble is there is just two of us so it works out quite pricey. They should do smaller couples ones!

Paula, one more thing to think about with only two of you... I've seen people reach out on the meet lists to share cabanas. So if you're booking an adult cabana on CC and get one or two other couples to join you, the price is less or even considerably less. :) Keep this in mind to either reach out to someone who has already booked and might like the idea of sharing, for in the event that you are able to book one before your cruise, or for next time!
Good luck.

What a wonderful idea re sharing a cabana! I will check that out. I have to say I am still earning my ears but I have found everybody so helpful and nice I am loving being apart of the DB!

They were probably gone well before the 90 day window.

BTW, we're sailing Nov. 1 too.

ETA: Just noticed you're on the Fantasy. We're sailing the Dream. The 2 ships can't be leaving on the same day. ???

Can anoyone tell me how much the cabanas on the family beach cost? I've searched the disney website and can't find a price. I thought I'd seen $499??? I've seen so many numbers and costs, they are all running together. Thanks!

Hi Zandy295. No we are on the Dream as well! Sorry if I accidentally put the Fantasy. Must have been have what we British call a 'senior moment' lol. Cant wait! DW and I ( we have civil partnership in England like your gay marriage in some states) are staying in SSR before and a bit afterwards. We come every year. I am disabled so its perfct for us. See you onboard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter