C25K! Anyone else in?

I wasn't happy with my performance the last week so I am going to back up a bit. I have 8 wks until the day of the 5k and I just need my calves to keep up.

Cardiowise, I am fine... my calves cramp and I find that I do much better on grass and gravel than concrete.

Anyone else use the Drill Sargent? I think he should yell more. LOL!!

I need to finish my long run this week. I went to cardio kickboxing yesterday and I am so sore. Like everywhere. Well actually we hiked in the early afternoon and then I ran for 15 minutes after kickboxing, so it's probably a combo.

Anyone else love the feeling of post workout body soreness? Not real pain, just the feeling if reawakening muscles being put to good use. My shin splints were more pain than pleasure. YWIM?

runsandjumps said:
I need to finish my long run this week. I went to cardio kickboxing yesterday and I am so sore. Like everywhere. Well actually we hiked in the early afternoon and then I ran for 15 minutes after kickboxing, so it's probably a combo.

Anyone else love the feeling of post workout body soreness? Not real pain, just the feeling if reawakening muscles being put to good use. My shin splints were more pain than pleasure. YWIM?

I know exactly what you mean. Definitely something I never thought I'd say!

Ugh, I have totally dropped the ball on this. I need to get back into the swing of things and stay there. I blame the weather, I have not seen the sun in what feels like weeks. I really really want to get outside to run but it is sooo muddy, it's crazy and we don't have a single sidewalk in town. I would need to go to the green in the next town over but that is dirt, which equals mud.

Guess I will get back on dreadmill tomorrow. :sad2:

BernardandMissBianca said:
Ugh, I have totally dropped the ball on this. I need to get back into the swing of things and stay there. I blame the weather, I have not seen the sun in what feels like weeks. I really really want to get outside to run but it is sooo muddy, it's crazy and we don't have a single sidewalk in town. I would need to go to the green in the next town over but that is dirt, which equals mud.

Guess I will get back on dreadmill tomorrow. :sad2:

You've just got to get right back on the horse. You can do it!

I am going to run tomorrow too. Come on people. We can finish these runs.

I remember the first week struggling to breathe, now I could run a 5k if I could just get my mind out of the way. Don't let excuses get in your way.

Foot is finally better so I was back on the treadmill today.
I hemmed and hawed about wether I should repeat week 3 or move in to week 4. I opted to attempt week 4, knowing I could restart at week 3. I was nervous about running for 6 minutes straight, but I did it!
Finally it all fell into place. The head, heart, lungs, and legs all were on the same page.
I had a rough end to last week and this was something I really needed.

Week5 was a beast..it didn't help that it coincided with the weather becoming downright freezing here. For the first time in my training I had to conceded and for W5D3 I moved to the treadmill.

W5D1= Killed it..no problem
W5D2= Did not kill it, First 8 min run=no problem, 2nd run I only got to 5 min, then walked 90 seconds before doing the final 3 minutes of running.

W5D3= The dreaded 20 minute run...attempt 1 outside at same pace I have been running (around an 11:00 mile pace)= failure.... I did 12:00 and was spent...walked 3:00 and grinded out a 3:00 run but that was the end of it for me.

W5D3 attempt #2 I hit the gym and did the treadmill at a 14:00 mile pace and was able to take care of business with a little extra left.

Going to repeat this week until I feel better about the long run's pace (ideally I want a 12:00 mile).... or until I can do the distance (2 miles) continuous.

Week 7, day 3 of the Jeff Galloway program! All runs were done outside this week, and I had a 12.9 minute mile!

The kids school has a 5K at the end of the month, I'm trying to decide if I should sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Go for it! Even if you have to walk some it will motivate you!

Foot is finally better so I was back on the treadmill today.
I hemmed and hawed about wether I should repeat week 3 or move in to week 4. I opted to attempt week 4, knowing I could restart at week 3. I was nervous about running for 6 minutes straight, but I did it!
Finally it all fell into place. The head, heart, lungs, and legs all were on the same page.
I had a rough end to last week and this was something I really needed.

Woohoo!

ATLJR said:
Week5 was a beast..it didn't help that it coincided with the weather becoming downright freezing here. For the first time in my training I had to conceded and for W5D3 I moved to the treadmill.

W5D1= Killed it..no problem
W5D2= Did not kill it, First 8 min run=no problem, 2nd run I only got to 5 min, then walked 90 seconds before doing the final 3 minutes of running.

W5D3= The dreaded 20 minute run...attempt 1 outside at same pace I have been running (around an 11:00 mile pace)= failure.... I did 12:00 and was spent...walked 3:00 and grinded out a 3:00 run but that was the end of it for me.

W5D3 attempt #2 I hit the gym and did the treadmill at a 14:00 mile pace and was able to take care of business with a little extra left.

Going to repeat this week until I feel better about the long run's pace (ideally I want a 12:00 mile).... or until I can do the distance (2 miles) continuous.

It's a big jump to that 20 minute run. But the best way to increase your pace is to increase your distance. Keep going through the program, lengthening your runs and you will get there!

keahgirl8 said:
Week 7, day 3 of the Jeff Galloway program! All runs were done outside this week, and I had a 12.9 minute mile!

I'm doing his 10k now and love it! I did W1D3 yesterday and did 5.21 miles with a 12 min mile pace. If you had told me two months ago I would be doing this I would have said you were crazy!

momto3gr8boys said:
Go for it! Even if you have to walk some it will motivate you!

Woohoo!

It's a big jump to that 20 minute run. But the best way to increase your pace is to increase your distance. Keep going through the program, lengthening your runs and you will get there!

I'm doing his 10k now and love it! I did W1D3 yesterday and did 5.21 miles with a 12 min mile pace. If you had told me two months ago I would be doing this I would have said you were crazy!

I am going to do the 10K next. I never thought I would be doing this either!

I am going to take a break from the program. I have been experiencing some calf strains. I am so bummed but I want to avoid a serious injury.

I will be doing cardio kickboxing, Zumba and swimming in place of my runs.

I am going to take a break from the program. I have been experiencing some calf strains. I am so bummed but I want to avoid a serious injury.

Ouch. Good idea, though. DH pushed himself too hard too fast, and did something nasty to his achilles. The orthopedist told him that all he can do is rest it (I was expecting him to come home in a boot, but NO), fully knowing that we had a 2 week Disney/Universal/Cruise trip shortly after the appointment! That was NOT rest for poor DH (and he refused an ECV).

So it's good you're going to take it easy now, before it gets serious. In case you've never tried it, by the way, I love arnica cream on sore muscles.

Do most people go from the 5K program up to the 10K, or do they go even further? I've gotten a wild idea to think about the half-marathon next January, and I don't know if I should ramp-up with the 10K program, or just go really slowly through the Half program.

I'm pretty excited to find out that there's a Galloway program in my town. Now if I can only figure out how to contact them. :)

bumbershoot said:
Ouch. Good idea, though. DH pushed himself too hard too fast, and did something nasty to his achilles. The orthopedist told him that all he can do is rest it (I was expecting him to come home in a boot, but NO), fully knowing that we had a 2 week Disney/Universal/Cruise trip shortly after the appointment! That was NOT rest for poor DH (and he refused an ECV).

So it's good you're going to take it easy now, before it gets serious. In case you've never tried it, by the way, I love arnica cream on sore muscles.

Do most people go from the 5K program up to the 10K, or do they go even further? I've gotten a wild idea to think about the half-marathon next January, and I don't know if I should ramp-up with the 10K program, or just go really slowly through the Half program.

I'm pretty excited to find out that there's a Galloway program in my town. Now if I can only figure out how to contact them. :)

I am planning to do the 10K program next, then go from there.

bumbershoot said:

You will have plenty of time to go through both programs for next January. I'm planning on Tink and the half training schedule doesn't even begin until September.

Turns out even cardio kickboxing is too much for my poor wobbly legs. I had to do a walk of shame 15 minutes into the class because my legs were starting to hurt from the running punch. Sad.

I want to sign up for a 5k in may called Run like a mother. Then I want to do something with an obstacle course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter