Bye Bye Tomorrowland Speedway

The current attraction is horrible and outdated. As previously noted, all major theme parks have one like it. It puts off horrible smelling fumes, the cars all run at different speeds, the wait is ridiculously long for what it is & the steering is wonky. Maybe a Cars attraction does not fit in Tomorrowland, but hen again I guess the current attraction does not fit in Tomorrowland either seeing that there is nothing futuristic about it. ;)

You got me thinking of what they could do instead. The attraction is in the middle of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland...well, why don't they just incorporate the attraction into a Fantasyland attraction instead of a Tomorrowland attraction (it may not go well with the theme there either, but it will be more believable then a Tomorrowland attraction). I'm thinking that if they bring back the cars from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and modify them so that they can ride along the track, I think that would make an awesome ride. It will also pay homage to the attraction that we lost many years ago. As a kid I used to love going to the different theme parks that had the "Old Fashion Cars" to drive....yes they were loud and smelly, but they were fun to do especially if you weren't a licensed driver yet.

Originally Posted by Lisa71
They should make them solar electric (no more noise or smell) and keep them.

Then there would be no Vrooom...Vrooom sound. That is part of the joy of the attraction for kids. You want to drive a Prius, fine, but kids want the noise and the movement. Everybody needs to stop being so grown up for a few minutes. :wave2:

Autopia/Tomorrowland Speedway was my favorite ride as a 4-year old and one I ride everytime I go to DL/MK.
DL1sm.jpg

It has not changed much in 49 years and DS loves it, too. (I'd like to see them using LNG.)

Are you sure you're not thinking about CA - they did it. Seems to me Radiator Springs Racers would be a good fit in HS but not in Tomorrowland.

Martin

Then there would be no Vrooom...Vrooom sound. That is part of the joy of the attraction for kids. You want to drive a Prius, fine, but kids want the noise and the movement. Everybody needs to stop being so grown up for a few minutes. :wave2:

You can make artificial race car sounds very easily...in fact you can buy them for your 4-cylinder car now and make it sound like a massive V8.

In fact, Disneyland's are electric now.

Regarding CarsLand, if they removed the backlot tour AND removed the Lights Motors Action stunt show, the entire Carsland would fit practically.

I can see this happening in the future when the speedway just gets to hard to maintain but for now i would say it is staying :thumbsup2

You can make artificial race car sounds very easily...in fact you can buy them for your 4-cylinder car now and make it sound like a massive V8.

In fact, Disneyland's are electric now.

Regarding CarsLand, if they removed the backlot tour AND removed the Lights Motors Action stunt show, the entire Carsland would fit practically.

I would LOVE this!:thumbsup2

You must be reffering to Asia because the Autopia Cars in Disneyland Anaheim are still burning fuel as I type.

Oops, you're right...I was thinking of Hong Kong....too many Disneylands...too little time.

I really dislike this ride, the fumes give me a headache and it looks so dated. I think it would be a great change regardless of being in tomorrow land!

Have to agree with going towards a TRON style theme. Rework the whole thing to actually look futuristic and match Tomorrowland. Electric cars, solar panels on the queue area, led lighting effects. It would really bring back the futuristic feel that was intended for Tomorrowland that seems to be lacking more and more with each passing year.

I love the Cars movies but just Copy/Pasting from Disney Land when there is already an area at Disney World dedicated to Pixar at DHS seems lazy and pulls Pixar into MGK.

I really don't expect a Cars overlay on the Tomorrowland Speedway. WDW management and the Imagineers are smart enough to know that giving Tomorrowland Speedway just a cosmetic update while Disney California Adventure has the incredible Cars Land would make WDW guests feel cheated.

I love the Cars movies but just Copy/Pasting from Disney Land when there is already an area at Disney World dedicated to Pixar at DHS seems lazy and pulls Pixar into MGK.

Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom Park already has "Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor" and "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin." So Pixar has not only already been pulled into MK, but even into Tomorrowland. The current Tomorrowland at MK has a science fiction theme, not a "world of the future" theme. Monsters Inc. and Buzz Lightyear both have some basis in science fiction, so they more-or-less fit in with the architecture and other Tomorrowland attractions.

One of the last Disney rides I've never ever ridden. (Well maybe as a child before my memories clicked in.) DD has never asked to ride it - I think she hates the noise. Big, stinky, boring looking ride with a huge footprint. I know many like it, but it would not be missed by this family.

That said, a PP got it right - this has been a rumor almost since Cars 1. I would think if they were just going to overlay a cars theme on the vehicles, it would've happened by now.

SkierPete

P.S. Those that complain about the poor theming for tomorrowland - how does the current Speedway fit the tomorrowland theme?

It would probably be better for them to just put 4 stroke ICEs in instead of electric. That would clean up the fumes and still leave a nice sound/feel for the kids.
A new overlay for the cars would be well appreciated (not to mention shade for the queue lines). The track and loading area is kind of boring though. They need to add theming (dare I say interactive?) or specific scenes. I think Autotopia does a better job but it is still not great.
I do think the Cars theme would be the wrong fit though. TL is lush and sustaining, not dry and rocky. Maybe they could move it to Fronteir land and give it a Cars theme from Stanleys retro era? That would fit much better theme wise (as there in no room).

I love Autopia in Disneyland. I thought it was very charming and relaxing. I feel that even with adding things to the Speedway it could not get that same feel and the ride should just be demolished for something new.​

LOL, imagine how satisfying it would be taking a bulldozer to it and driving it down the track. Ripping out the guide bar that has given me whiplash from letting my kids drive would be the ultimate revenge.

LOL, imagine how satisfying it would be taking a bulldozer to it and driving it down the track. Ripping out the guide bar that has given me whiplash from letting my kids drive would be the ultimate revenge.

:lmao: Glad to meet a fellow Tomorrowland Speedway whiplash survivor! My girls adore the ride but my neck muscles tighten every time join the queue.

I have fond memories of having fun on the TLS as a child. My dad would stop his car ahead of mine and I would floor it and bump him. My family is a bunch of rebels. lol

What would really bring it up to date and futuristic is re-themeing it to Cars and replacing the track with a magnetic track. The cars can then run on these using magnetism versus gas.

This would eliminate the noise and the smell and would be great for the environment!! :goodvibes

If this were done, then the speedway would definitley fit tomorrowland.

I have fond memories of having fun on the TLS as a child. My dad would stop his car ahead of mine and I would floor it and bump him. My family is a bunch of rebels. lol

LOL,
I ride in the car in front of my family and as soon as I see that they're looking off at something and not paying attention I stop. They come putting along and "blam"! Cracks me up. I tried it last trip but they give me more room and watch me more closely... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter