Bye Bye Tomorrowland Speedway

The current attraction is horrible and outdated. As previously noted, all major theme parks have one like it. It puts off horrible smelling fumes, the cars all run at different speeds, the wait is ridiculously long for what it is & the steering is wonky. Maybe a Cars attraction does not fit in Tomorrowland, but hen again I guess the current attraction does not fit in Tomorrowland either seeing that there is nothing futuristic about it. ;)

I'd rather see them do a Carsland in HS like the one in DL. TL is in great need of updating but this would not fit in with the theming. Disney does not have a lot of futuristic properties right now to draw from. Maybe they could come up with a ride to tie in with 2014's Marvel release of Guardians of the Galaxy. As far as I know Universal does not have rights to those characters.

I'll clarify my previous opinion. I'm not opposed to a refurb of the ride but a cars overlay is a no no for me. Doesn't fit into the theme (at least I can make a bit of a case for the laugh floor, buzz, and stitch) so I'd be disappointed if they did so. They can do much better than divert from their theming so much.

I have heard rumors of a refurb to the speedway, but not a whole overhaul.

I have heard that Disney is looking to refurbishing it and adding a Cars theme to it. Disney does acknowledge that the cars are old and need to be replaced soon.

My DH has heard the same, he doesn't work directly for Disney, but he worded for a company, that did work for Disney. He said that a Cars rehab of the tomorrowland speedway maybe coming...

But as others have said, we'll just have to wait till it's officially announced before we know anything for sure...

I would personally like to see this happen, not sure if it will. I guess Im just not a fan of the current Speedway and my opinion of it is that it isnt very futuristic to me, but then again I havnt ridden on it in many years. Just my two cents.

That would probably be because you are grown up and driving either may be a reality or close to it. For kids, this is the future and it is one of the first opportunity to flex that "grown up" muscle.

They need to completely tear it out, not re-theme. This is a tremendous waste of space and is an attraction found in every amusement park in the country.

They need to do no such thing. Why is it when anyone doesn't like something they want it torn out. If you don't enjoy it, don't go on it. Pretty simple really. Don't hit me with the pollution factor either. It may be, but every single one of the guests at WDW have either flown, driven a car, rode a bus or used some other method of transportation that polluted the area to probably a higher degree then those cars do. They are found in every amusement park in the country, may be a slight exaggeration, but if it is true it's because it is so popular with the kids. These parks are not just for adults you know.

When DHS put in TSM the renamed the area PIXAR PLACE. This implies that they intend to use that area for Pixar themed attractions. (I realize the Laugh Floor is at MK, but that came before Pixar Place)

What they need to tear down is the Backlot Tour. Thats where they need to put the next Pixar attraction.

I was told by a construction manager that the decision has been made to tear up the Speedway and make way for a Lightning McQueen Ride?????

I was told by the same construction manager that they'll be building a meet&greet location first over at Poly so guests can meet the real Elvis before their Ohana's breakfast

:rotfl:

Doubtful to me. Whether or not this attraction is enjoyable to adults, kids adore it.

While it makes sense to me that Disney might look to some more popular attractions that need TLC once FLE opens and the masses are otherwise distracted, I really doubt anything will be going on here, especially if it's just a cosmetic refurb.

:lmao:They should make them solar electric (no more noise or smell) and keep them. My son is an addict. Ride with him and you can save on your chiropractor visits!

What they need to tear down is the Backlot Tour. Thats where they need to put the next Pixar attraction.

That would be a pretty easy thing to do since there is so little left of the backlot tour that it is almost lying to call it that. They still need a connection to Catastrophe Canyon so maybe a drive by exhibit with the same basic theme as the new ride a California Adventure (Cars theme) would fit right in and have the Canyon as the thrill part. You know cars that talk to you as you go by. I'll bet the kids would love it. Me too, as far as that goes. Maybe something to cover up the ugly that is the back side of Lights, Action!

Hi there,

I haven't been on the boards lately and this could be old news, although I was told by a construction manager that the decision has been made to tear up the Speedway and make way for a Lightning McQueen Ride????? sometime starting in 2013 ending 2014.

Just as well, I rode it the other day.

I spoke with the construction managers boss, and he said that they were just going to change the tires and oil.:dance3:

DS won't be happy if this is true, Tomorrowland Speedway is one of his faves in the MK.

I see them doing 2 things.
1. Change the fiberglass over the car chassis to a cars'esque look. Thereby allowing them to retheme the ride to Cars with a minimum of hassle.

2. Officially renaming Tomorrowland to "Pixar Land" as the Pixar content in tomorrowland will finally outnumber any "Tomorrow" content in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter