• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

But You Have Promised Me A Subtropical Paradise

Good call on getting a taxi to the WDFM, we took the bus and ended up in the wrong place and had a long walk in the heat to find it.

What tour did Graham do that day, did he enjoy it?

Amazing first day in San Francisco! I love the Napa Valley and it's been a long time since I've visited. Thanks for solving a mystery for me. about 14 years ago we attended a 4th of July party at Grgich Winery and I remember how lively Mike Grgich was. I imagined that he couldn't still be alive today as he was 76 at the time. How wonderful that he is celebrating his 90th birthday and still has his wits about him!

How wonderful and informative that tour must have been. It sounds like all the various methods of transport you experienced were a lot of fun. Where did the cruise ship dock? It appears somewhere near Pier 39. I've never seen SF as a cruise ship port, but I haven't visited there often since moving to So Cal.

I can't wait to hear about the Disney Museum. Will have to come back and read up on that. Were they allowing pictures when you were there, or did they lift that ban just after you visit? I guess I will find out in the next update!

Holy updates!

Looks like another fantastic day. I am dying to go to the Walt Disney Family museum. Awesome deal on the buy 1 photo CD, and get 1 1/2. Glad you asked the photo manager!

Jill in CO

Wow! The Disney museum looks amazing. For a few minutes I wondered if I could get up there on my trip to DL, and then looked at the map.... That'll have to be a separate trip for sure. Thanks for all the awesome pictures.

Bummer they left the peanut butter off your sundae. Have you tried the Dove peanut butter squares? They are very delicious.

What a lovely day! You fit in so many things and took fabulous pictures.

I had quite a list of things that I just had to do so I knew that I would have two busy days.

What a lovely way to have a couple of days in that area. We have only been to SF once and it was with family who were not interested in the Museum. Your photos have convinced me that I need to make it back there. :goodvibes The wine train is now on my list of "must do's" too.

:offtopic: You have a photo in your post above, with the submarine and the Navy ship at a dock in SF. They are open to the public, and while some of my family went onto them, I took a look around the area. Right behind them, in one of those warehouses, is a FANTASTIC penny slot machine museum. They have some machines dating a LONG way back - it was fascinating to me - I could have spent hours and hours in there!!

Thanks, I have made a note of this for future reference. This sounds like something that would interest me, too.

Good call on getting a taxi to the WDFM, we took the bus and ended up in the wrong place and had a long walk in the heat to find it.

What tour did Graham do that day, did he enjoy it?

I could not even figure out how to get there by public transport. Graham went cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge and then came back by ferry. He had a good time.

Amazing first day in San Francisco! I love the Napa Valley and it's been a long time since I've visited. Thanks for solving a mystery for me. about 14 years ago we attended a 4th of July party at Grgich Winery and I remember how lively Mike Grgich was. I imagined that he couldn't still be alive today as he was 76 at the time. How wonderful that he is celebrating his 90th birthday and still has his wits about him!

How wonderful and informative that tour must have been. It sounds like all the various methods of transport you experienced were a lot of fun. Where did the cruise ship dock? It appears somewhere near Pier 39. I've never seen SF as a cruise ship port, but I haven't visited there often since moving to So Cal.

I can't wait to hear about the Disney Museum. Will have to come back and read up on that. Were they allowing pictures when you were there, or did they lift that ban just after you visit? I guess I will find out in the next update!

Mike Grgich was a real character and I was amazed when I heard how old he is. It must be all the good wine ;) The tour was amazing, too

We were docked at Pier 35.

Yes, I was allowed to take photos at the Disney Family Museum and made plenty of use of this.

Holy updates!

Looks like another fantastic day. I am dying to go to the Walt Disney Family museum. Awesome deal on the buy 1 photo CD, and get 1 1/2. Glad you asked the photo manager!

Jill in CO

The Disney Family Museum was wonderful. If you ever get the opportunity to visit it, grab it with both hands. I was so happy about the deal on the photo CDs as this is my favourite souvenir when I go on a cruise.

Wow! The Disney museum looks amazing. For a few minutes I wondered if I could get up there on my trip to DL, and then looked at the map.... That'll have to be a separate trip for sure. Thanks for all the awesome pictures.

Bummer they left the peanut butter off your sundae. Have you tried the Dove peanut butter squares? They are very delicious.

San Francisco and the Disney Family Museum are definitely worth a visit. I have never heard of Dove peanut butter squares before. I have to check them out the next time I come to the USA.

Corinna

San Francisco and the Disney Family Museum are definitely worth a visit. I have never heard of Dove peanut butter squares before. I have to check them out the next time I come to the USA.

Corinna

They are very rich, I can only have a few at a time, but the peanut butter is so delicious. They're the closest thing I can think to Ghirardelli squares.

http://www.dovechocolate.com/Product/Detail?p_id=15

Day 9

This turned out a rather relaxing day and after two very busy days with early starts, this was precisely what we needed. I had not set a wake up call that morning and it was nearly 9:30 by the time we got up. We got ready and decided to go up to Cove Cafe for a coffee and a pastry. Graham had an Americano and I ordered a Mocha, but ended up with a Latte. Graham had some kind of muffin and I had a chocolate Brioche. Once we had finished our coffees, we decided to have a walk round deck 10, but it was quite windy and we decided it was a better idea to take a lap around deck 4, which was more sheltered. Once we had our exercise, I headed to Guest Services to see if they still had a space for Mixology and also to add my gift card to the onboard account. Fortunately they had one space left so I booked this. While I was there, I decided to check who our head server is. I had the feeling that it was still the same guy that had laughed at us the first evening and although he had not been to our table since that first evening, we had seen him at tables all around us. When I asked this question, the person assisting me typed something in her computer and then asked me to please wait. The next thing I knew was that one of the officers came to speak to me. She confirmed what I had feared and I asked her to remove the tip. This is something I have never done before nor thought I would ever do, but I was not going to tip somebody who behaved in such a way. She advised that I would need to wait until the tip receipts would be issued the next day and then bring the relevant tip receipt to Guest Services and they would remove the tip. This seemed to be a rather roundabout way of doing things, but I agreed to this. I thanked her for her help and then I was on my way. I quickly went up to Shutters to check my photos and order the photo CD.

Graham had put his toes into the water earlier on and decided that it was lovely and warm. So he decided to go for a swim. I was a little dubious about this, but decided to join him. Deck 9 is quite sheltered and out of the wind it was actually quite pleasant. I did not quite share the opinion that the water was warm, but I have swam in colder water and once I actually started swimming, it was quite pleasant. We swam for a bit and then we had to be brave and come out. Graham was rather clever and did not only put towels near the pool, but also a couple of the fleece blankets that they keep near the pools. So we could dry our top half, then wrap the blanket around us before drying the bottom half. Once we were towel dry, we headed back to the cabin to get showered and changed.

By the time we had both sorted ourselves out, it was nearly time for Beach Blanket Buffet to open for lunch. Normally we avoid Beach Blanket Buffet at all cost on a sea day as it tends to be crazy busy, but we were hungry, did not fancy a sit down lunch and Parrot Cay was opening later. We also had to take the pool towels and the blankets back to deck 9 anyway, so we figured we may as well check out how bad it was. We got there just before they were due to open and it actually looked OK. The buffet that day had an oriental theme. Graham had some pineapple and mandarin salad, peel and eat shrimp, scallops in a soy vinaigrette, chicken and sweetcorn soup, stir fried vegetables, sweet and sour chicken and hoisin marinated pork loin. I had chicken and sweetcorn soup, spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken, vegetable fried rice, a beef stir fry made with minced beef and hoisin marinated pork loin. We both really loved the chicken and sweetcorn soup. This is one of my favourite soups anyway, but this had a very unusual and slightly spicy taste to it. It took me a little while to figure out that this was ginger. For dessert we both had the coconut and mango Panna Cotta. We were done with lunch at about 12:30. I quickly went back to the cabin to get my ticket for mixology and my camera and then I decided to head to the atrium for the Princess Gathering. I figured that as I had now committed myself to the photo CD, I may as well fill it. Even though it was still just over half an hour until it was due to start, the line was nearly to the Promenade Lounge. I decided to pass. Not only did I not fancy standing in line for so long, but there is no way I would have been done by the time mixology was due to start at 13:30.

So I gave up and headed towards the Cadillac Lounge where the mixology class was due to take place. As I was pretty early, I peeked around the door and noticed that some people from our cruise meet thread were sitting at one of the tables so I went and joined them. In the end there were quite a few of us there. We chatted until the class was about to begin. We were each given 5 drinks. Four of them were half-size cocktails and there was also a shot. The person hosting the class told us that he would teach us how to make these 5 drinks and also teach us what goes together in general and what people who like to make cocktails should have at home in their bar. This sounded intriguing. He started off by talking a bit about the different glasses that cocktails are served in and the different type of cocktails. He then asked us to try the first cocktail, which was served in a martini glass. He did not tell us the name of the cocktail or what was in it, but asked us to try and guess the ingredients. He then told us that that this was a Manhattan and consisted of whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters. I was quite surprised. I had never really liked whiskey, but I really liked this. The next one smelled like a Margarita and tasted quite similar, too. People did guess correctly that it contained lime juice and an orange liqueur of some description, but instead of tequila, it contained vodka. It is called a Kamikaze. I am not normally too keen on vodka, but I would happily drink this again. I was not too sure about the next two cocktails as I had no idea what may be in them. Drinking cocktails can be like Russian roulette for me. Some of our group knew about my banana allergy and reassured me that they could not taste any bananas. So after hesitating for a while, I decided to go for it. I was just drawing up some of the drink through the straw, when our instructor told us that this was a Bahama Mama. I quickly spat the straw out and fortunately the drink had not reached my mouth yet. Apart from two kinds of rum, orange and pineapple juice and grenadine, the cocktail also contains Creme de Banana. I had a close shave there. After this I was not going to try anything else before I knew what was in it. This was a wise decision as the next cocktail was dangerous for me again. This was a Yellow Bird, which consists of Bacardi, Galiano, orange and pineapple juice and Creme de Banana. The final drink I knew to be safe and I had actually made this myself during a previous mixology class. This was a B52 shot, which consists of Kahlua, Baileys and Cointreau. After the class they were giving out some extra drinks that they had and I ended up with an extra B52. I really enjoyed this class despite the scare about halfway through and I learned a lot. I am still not sure if I have the motivation to put together my own bar.

At one stage some of our group had ended up talking to our instructor and it turned out that Cadillac Lounge is the only bar on the Wonder that has fresh Jalapeños. This was music to the ears of the Spicy Mojito fans. They ordered some. I am normally OK with Jalapeños, but was still not brave enough to try this. I did however ask if they have Cachaça, which they had so I ordered a Caipirinha. I have had mixed success with this on past cruises with a truly horrible Caipirinha that was made with Bacardi rather than Cachaça to some that were OK. This one fell into the OK category and was nowhere near as nice as the ones I had the evening before we flew to the USA. Considering that the cocktail only consists of 4 ingredients: Cachaça, sugar, limes and ice; it is strange how the taste can vary. I think I have got to the bottom of this though. Whereas the once I have had in the UK or the ones I had made at home are made with brown sugar, DCL uses sugar syrup. At one stage the men in the group went up to deck 9 to get some food. I ended up having some chicken strips and fries to soak up the alcohol. It was great to just spend some time together and chat. In the end we were asked to leave as they had to get ready for an event for Make A Wish families. Some of the group was discussing moving to one of the other bars, but I had all the alcohol that I was going to have that day and the Rainforest Room was calling me.

I quickly went back to the cabin to drop off the camera and get my swimsuit and iPad and then I headed to the Rainforest Room. Graham was already there. I made myself comfortable in a headed tile lounger and alternated between reading and napping. Once I was thoroughly relaxed and started to feel a little too warm, I headed back to the changing room to get dressed. I stopped by the cabin to drop off my stuff and then decided to check out the photo opportunities. Because the Pixar Pals Party would take place in the atrium between early and late dinner, they had to find different spots for the portraits that night. The white backdrop had been set up outside the Walt Disney Theater and a fireworks backdrop was opposite the photo kiosks between the back exit of Triton's and the Promenade Lounge. I had some photos taken with the fireworks backdrop and then I went back to the cabin to change for dinner.

When I got back to the cabin, Graham had arrived back, too. We both got ready for dinner and then I convinced him to have some photos taken. By then the Pixar Pals Party was in full swing so it was a good idea anyway to go via deck 4. We had some photos taken against the white backdrop first and then we walked along deck 4 until we got to the stairs behind Triton's. There were people watching the party on decks 3, 4 and 5 so it took a little time to make our way through. When we got to the fireworks backdrop, we found a photographer all by herself. I suppose most people were at the party and others may not have realized that this backdrop was even there. I only came across it by accident as I had planned to go up to Shutters to check what photo opportunities there were that day.

As we had gone through the photos so quickly, we still had a bit of time until dinner, which was at Parrot Cay that day. So we found ourselves some seats by a porthole in the Promenade Lounge and watched to world go by. I could see the entrance to Parrot Cay from where I was sitting and once I saw that the doors were open, we went to dinner. Dinner that night was the Toy Story menu. The cover of this menu is in 3D so we were given some 3D glasses with the menu. Graham had the Emeryville Cocktail for his appetizer, which consisted of Warm Water Lobster, Alaskan and Shrimp Cocktail with Sour Cream, Caviar and a Tomato Lime Dressing. For his main course he had Pan-seared Fillet of Sea Trout "Lotso" with Onion Puree and a Sweet Pea and Herb Dressing. He said that this just tasted like salmon. We both suspected that Disney was pulling a fast one to make salmon more interesting, but there is actually a sea or brown trout, which is however related to salmon. I had The Prospector for my appetizer, which was described as Chicken and Red Onion Flat Bread with Red Wine Pears, Walnuts and Blue Cheese. What actually came out was more of a deep dish pizza, which was also huge. The flavours were absolutely amazing, but there was just to much of it and it would have been better still with a proper flatbread crust. I also had Sid's Mexican Fire-roasted Tomato Soup with Black Beans and Nachos. For my main course I mixed and matched. I really fancied the Sheriff Woody's Favourite Marinated Delmonico Rib Eye Steak, but did not like the sides that came with this. So I asked for the Creamy Sweet Corn Asiago Cheese Risotto that came with the lobster. The steak was disappointing. It was actually quite dry. I did not think a Rib Eye Steak could ever be try and it also did not have much taste to it. The risotto however was amazing. We did not have dessert that night. For one, we were quite full and I also wanted to get a head start on the characters.

I was really excited about the character meet and greets that evening. Ever since I heard that Pirate Night would be replaced with a Pixar Night I was quietly hoping that I could cross something else off my bucket list. Ratatouille is one of my favourite films and definitely my favourite Pixar film. I always wanted to meet Remy, but never had the chance. Sure, I have met little Remy on the plate at Disneyland Paris, but I have never had the chance to meet Remy as a walk around character. I had asked the character manager earlier during the cruise if their would be rats on the ship and I got a rather non-committal "maybe". So I nearly burst with excitement when I spotted a listing for both Remy and Emile. They would only be out once at 21:30 and Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc would be out at the same time. This time round, I got the sides right. It was only about 21:15, but the line for Mike and Sully was nearly to the Promenade Lounge. I started to get nervous as I figured that Remy and Emile would be even more popular. This line was however relatively short and I got in line just in front of the lift closest to the Port Adventures desk. Still, when Remy and Emile arrived, the line did not move at all. For Sully and Mike, they had announced that there would be no autographs, but Remy and Emile would do autographs. Normally with special photo opportunities like this, they also specify that it is only one pose per stateroom. This was not the case that evening. Once I got close enough to see Remy and Emile, I noticed that rather big families had photos taken of each child individually, different combinations of kids and various combinations of kids and adults. Normally this does not bother me at all and at times I even find it quite amusing. However, if you have some characters that you cannot find readily at the parks one time only and for 30 minutes then surely you should do everything to make sure that as many people as possible can see the characters. Eventually it was our turn. Graham had actually decided to join me for the photos. We were all done by about 21:45. I had considered seeing Dug and Russell from Up, who were supposed to replace Mike and Sully at 21:45, but those two were nowhere near done. I figured that I had met Dug and Russell in November and may get to see them the following week so gave up on that idea.

That evening they had fireworks scheduled. This would be the last fireworks on the Wonder for a while as they are not allowed to do fireworks in Alaska. I was very tempted. I have only seen the fireworks on the ships once in 2011 and as much as I enjoyed the fireworks, I found the deck party leading up to it tedious. So having the fireworks without the deck party was definitely a temptation. I also really wanted to try out how my new camera copes with fireworks. However, by the time I finished with Remy and Emile, I was literally done. My bed was calling me loud and clear. We went back to the cabin. I took a photo of our towel animal, had a quick look at the Navigator and then we got ready for bed.

What a great relaxing day. :) the Pixar menu sounds great. Hopefully by the time I do an Alaska cruise they'll still have Pixar night, that sounds like a lot of fun.

That's great that they had the rats, never seen them before.

I was absolutely thrilled to finally get to meet them.

What a great relaxing day. :) the Pixar menu sounds great. Hopefully by the time I do an Alaska cruise they'll still have Pixar night, that sounds like a lot of fun.

The feedback so far for the menu and the Pixar Pals party has not been great so I wonder if this will quietly slip away at the end of the Alaska season. I can't comment on the party as I do not enjoy this kind of thing an therefore won't attend it, but I loved the special characters. I had high hopes for the menu, but it was just not executed very well.

Corinna

Wow! mega updates!
The cruise is looking fun so far.
So what was Grahams excursion in San Francisco that day? Did he go to Alcatrez? Thats one place i would love to visit someday.
The Disney Family museum looks very interesting. Why is it in SF though?
I think Remmy and Emille are on the Dream too, at least I have seen random pictures of them, but I personally have never seen them.
You are making me have an itch for another cruise.

Wow! mega updates!
The cruise is looking fun so far.
So what was Grahams excursion in San Francisco that day? Did he go to Alcatrez? Thats one place i would love to visit someday.
The Disney Family museum looks very interesting. Why is it in SF though?
I think Remmy and Emille are on the Dream too, at least I have seen random pictures of them, but I personally have never seen them.
You are making me have an itch for another cruise.

Graham did a cycling tour across the Golden Gate Bridge and then returned by ferry. I would love to visit Alcatraz one day. Graham is not too keen.

The Disney Family Museum actually has nothing to do with Disney as a company, but is the brain-child of Diane Disney Miller (Walt Disney's daughter) and is run by a not for profit organisation in which Diane Disney Miller is very heavily involved. She lives in the Napa Valley where she owns a winery. Actually the wine train went right past it. So San Francisco does make sense.

The trouble is this is making me itch for another cruise, too. We are currently looking into maybe spending 7 to 9 days in Orlando in December followed by a 5 night cruise on the Magic. I think I may start a pre-trip report for this in a week or two.

Corinna

Day 10

We had another lazy morning where we did not get up until 9:30. As we had a couple of early starts ahead of us, it was nice to have this luxury. As we had Palo Brunch booked that day, we did not want a proper breakfast, but went to the Cove Cafe for some coffee. I had a mini cream cheese Danish and a Mocha and Graham had some kind of fruit Danish and a Latte. This time I got the coffee I ordered. The Cove Cafe was quite full that morning and the only table available was right in front of the sliding door. It was also quite cold that day and every time somebody opened that door, it felt like we were hit by an arctic blast. So once we had finished out pastries, I suggested that we go upstairs to the Outlook Cafe. This was also quite busy, but we managed to find a corner table facing a window to the ocean. We made ourselves comfortable and enjoyed the view for a while.

I headed back to the cabin to pick up the stuff I needed to do my Fish Extender run. I had retired from Fish Extender Exchanges as far as receiving gifts after our Hawaii cruise last year. After the gifts started to overrun the cabin and I had to buy an extra bag and pay excess baggage to get them all home, I agreed that this had run its course. However, I had organised the Fish Extender Exchanges for this cruise and our cruise last November so I had the details of everybody participating. Making gifts for the Fish Extender Exchanges is also an important part of my preparation for a cruise for me. So I was going to give our gifts, but just not receiving any. I kept it simple for this cruise. I had made bottle cap hair bows for all the females that could also be worn as a corsage and bottle cap key rings for the males. Graham decided to come with me to get some exercise. We ended up delivering to cabins on every stateroom deck with the exception of deck 1. It was handy to have Graham with me as I was already juggling two bags with gifts, the list with the names and the cabin numbers and a deck plan with the participating cabins highlighted. I had also ordered some free business cards from Vistaprint with my forum name, real name and email address on them that I would leave with the gift so that people knew who they were from. Graham was put in charge of this box and handed me the required number of cards as and when I needed them. We only had about 20 cabins, but as they were so spread out, it took us a little over an hour to complete this. The way we had arranged our route, the last cabin we delivered to was diagonally across from our cabin. So we could just drop our stuff and get changed for Palo once we were done.

We got to Palo a little early, but they were ready for us and seated us straightaway. I did not see anybody at Palo that we had met on previous cruises. Once we were seated, our server Mladen came to introduce himself. He was from Croatia. We kept meeting people from Croatia on this cruise. He brought us some water with ice and lemon. He referred to it as Mickey water, which I thought was a cute phrase. We were offered a glass of sparkling wine or a Mimosa. Graham went with the sparkling wine and I had a Mimosa. We were then given the guided tour of the buffet. As soon as we were left to our own devices, we helped ourselves to some food. Graham started with all kinds of seafood and I had a rather mixed plate with various cheeses, water melon, melon with Prosciutto, Focaccia with black olives and peppers, hummus with pita chips, Brioche filled with mascarpone and strawberry and a nut and cinnamon bread. I will never learn as far as the hummus is concerned. I have this every time we go to Palo Brunch and every time I am disappointed. It is just utterly tasteless. The addition of the pita chips was nice though. I was also disappointed in the nut and cinnamon bread. It was nice, but this has replaced the stollen bread and is not up to that standard. Once we had cleared our first plate, we ordered some food from the kitchen. I had the chilled strawberry soup and we decided to share a pizza. Mladen suggested that we do a half and half pizza and we took him up on this. We went with half Spicy Italian Sausage and half Grape and Cambozola. This was perfect. I have to say though I had tears in my eyes when I had the first bite of the Spicy Italian Sausage Pizza. When they say spicy, they really mean it, but it was so good. I then of course had to have the Chicken Parmigiana with Risotto. Graham was kind of torn between and hot dish and another trip to the buffet. The buffet one and he got some more seafood, cold meats, breads and cheeses. By that time we were pretty stuffed, but we had to try some dessert. We both had some chocolate covered strawberries (white for Graham and a mix of white and milk chocolate for me). Graham also had some kind of cheesecake in a glass and I had some berries that were supposed to be soaked in Grand Marnier. Well, the berries were beautiful, but I could not detect any Grand Marnier. We also had some coffee and then we settled up and said goodbye to Mladen. I took a couple of photos on the way out and then we headed back to our cabin.

When I had looked at the Navigator properly that morning, I had spotted something that gave me a bit of a headache. At 13:30, they had a chocolate tasting scheduled. I had read about this before the cruise and really hoped I would get to do this, but this had not been on the list of upcoming tastings in the Navigator on the first day. So I figured that they were just not offering this on our cruise. From what I had heard before, during this tasting they pair different kinds of high quality chocolate with alcoholic drinks. This kind of thing is right up my street. I was in two minds about this, but was not sure if we would be finished with our Brunch in time so I decided to pass. In the end, I could have made it as far as timing was concerned, but I was just to stuffed so I was glad that I did not decide to book this. Indeed, when we got back to the cabin, we did not feel like doing much at all. I decided to stretch out on the bed and read. Graham decided to just chill for a bit as well. The next thing we knew, it was about 2.5 hours later. We must both have needed the nap.

Once we were up again, Graham asked me if I fancied going up to the Cove Cafe for a drink. I was up for this. I had spotted a drink on the menu that morning that I really wanted to try. So we went up there. It was actually surprisingly empty for a sea day and we managed to get a table by a porthole. Graham had a Coffee Toledo, which normally comes with Baileys, Kahlua, Espresso, Hershey's Chocolate sauce and Whipped Cream. However, he asked for it without the chocolate sauce. I had the Toblerontini, which consisted of Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, Frangelico, Baileys, Kahlua and Honey. It was absolutely delicious, but very rich. So when Graham asked if I wanted another one, I opted for a Margarita instead, which was also lovely. He had another Coffee Toledo. It was nice to sit and chat with a drink.

By the time we had finished our second drink, it was nearly time for the first round of character photos. I left Graham to his own devices and quickly went to the cabin to get changed into my evening gown and put my hair up. I then headed down to the atrium for the photos. I managed to see Minnie, Daisy and Chip and Dale in their formal wear in relatively quick succession. The character lines moved a lot quicker that day. Once I was finished, I went upstairs to join Graham in the Rainforest Room. The original plan had been to swing by the cabin to get my swimsuit, but I had only about an hour and could not be bothered with keep getting changed. I already had my iPad with me as I had figured this would come handy if the lines were as slow as molasses again. The gown that I was wearing that evening is lightweight and pretty forgiving. I figured with the extremely low light in the Rainforest Room, nobody would even realise that I was chilling out on my tile lounger in my evening gown. In the end it was only Graham and I in there anyway.

About an hour later, I went back to the atrium. This time round I managed to get photos with Minnie and Mickey; Donald and Daisy and Goofy. I was really excited to see Goofy in his formals. For some reason I thought that this was a first. I mentioned to one of the character escorts that I was really excited about finally meeting Goofy in his formals. She then proceeded to tell Goofy about this, who in turn got all excited. It was all rather sweet. Of course, when I was looking for something in my Photobucket the other day, I found a formal night photo of Goofy and me that must have been taken in 2009 or 2010. After I was done with all the photos, I went back to the cabin to drop my iPad off and put on some lip gloss and my jewellery. Graham had also arrived back in the cabin and we headed down to dinner.

Dinner that night was in Triton's. I had a lovely surprise. Traditionally, the menu on semi formal night has been the Captain's Gala Menu. This menu has changed a lot over the years and from my perspective not for the better. With every change, they had removed something else that I liked and replaced it with something I won't eat like seafood or game. So I have started to dread this menu. Imagine my delight when I was handed a copy of the Master Chef Menu. I had never spotted this on the Navigator. I really like this menu. Graham had Citrico's Shrimp, which consisted of marinated shrimp with feta cheese, cilantro and tomato in a light chardonnay butter sauce followed by .Chicken consomme garnished with truffle and julienne of chives pancake. For his main course, he had the Yachtsman Steakhouse Center Cut Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Medallions with caramelized carrots and snow peas on a potato cake and sauce béarnaise. For dessert he had Pear and Blackberry Crumble served warm with sugar-free ice cream. Unfortunately he was not able to have the ice cream as it was some kind of chocolate swirl ice cream. I went with the Double Baked Gruyere Cheese Souffle with maytag blue cheese, spinach and mascarpone cheese followed by Succotash Soup, which was a Lima bean and corn soup with black pepper crouton. For my main course, i also had the Yachtsman Steakhouse Center Cut Beef Tenderloin, but passed my Lobster Medallions to Graham. For dessert I had the Caramelized Apple Cheesecake on an Oreo Cookie Crust with cointreau, creme fraiche and cranberry coulis.

During dinner a photographer came round to take some photos. At the end of dinner, we had to give out our tip envelopes. Our serving team was quite surprised by this. We explained that we would be dining at Palo the next evening and were hoping to get off the ship nice and early in Vancouver to have more time to explore so would not be at breakfast that morning. When we had got the tip receipts the previous day, I had been relieved. On the receipt for the head server it did not state the name of the person I feared would be on there, but Josip's. He had looked after us well all week and we enjoyed talking to him every evening so I was glad that he was getting a tip from us. Before we left, Josip confirmed the arrangements for the second week with us. He had asked us about halfway through the week if we would like to keep our serving team and we said we would. He confirmed that our rotation would start in Triton's. We thanked him, said goodnight to everybody and went to have some more photos done.

The photo opportunities that evening were a backdrop with the moon and the staircase pictures. On the Magic they always offer photos with the Helmsman Mickey statue at either formal night or semi formal night. On the Wonder, they have never officially offered photos with Ariel. I asked the photographer doing the staircase shots and he was happy to oblige. I really like how they came out. Stitch was also due out a bit later, but when I saw his line, which snaked all the way to Wavebands, I decided that I did not want to see him that badly.

We headed back to the cabin. I checked out the Navigator, took some photos of our towel animal and then it was bedtime. The next day we would be back on land for a few hours and therefore had to get up a bit earlier. I set our wake up call and then we went to sleep.

Nice pics! The gifts you left for everyone were very unique; I am sure they loved them.

Great update :) I'm waiting to go out to dinner and seeing brunch is making me even hungrier! popcorn:: curious that they can't seem to make humus very well.

Your drinks sound quite delicious at Cove Cafe. Love that you lounged in the Rainforest room in your evening dress :)

Cute FE gifts :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter