Bumpy/Jarring Rides?

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
My friend and I are going to Disney in March for her first trip. She had back surgery about 18 months ago and is pretty much all better, but she does need to be a bit careful. We're gonna rent wheelchairs as needed (is the front of the parks the only place to rent them?), but I'm trying to think of rides she may want to avoid because they're jerky/super jarring, and was hoping y'all could provide some insight. I know Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain are pretty jerky/bumpy, but are there others I'm missing?

Dinosaur is very jerky. 7DMT is mostly smooth but it does have a rather hard stop at the end. Even things like POTC aren't exactly jerky but you can get bumped pretty hard by boats behind you or hit the ones in front of you. Same for rides like IASW. Kali bumps around a bit, but I don't think they are even as hard of a hit as POTC. Or maybe it just feels that way because the raft has bumpers on it or because your back is supported with a taller seat. Test Track would be out, but Soarin' would probably be fine. I don't do all of the thrill rides so I can't say how rough they are, but from the top of my head those are the ones I'd be worried about.

Dinosaur is very jerky. 7DMT is mostly smooth but it does have a rather hard stop at the end. Even things like POTC aren't exactly jerky but you can get bumped pretty hard by boats behind you or hit the ones in front of you. Same for rides like IASW. Kali bumps around a bit, but I don't think they are even as hard of a hit as POTC. Or maybe it just feels that way because the raft has bumpers on it or because your back is supported with a taller seat. Test Track would be out, but Soarin' would probably be fine. I don't do all of the thrill rides so I can't say how rough they are, but from the top of my head those are the ones I'd be worried about.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on POTC--I hadn't even thought of that one. I don't think it'll be a problem, but definitely good for me to ask her about.

Yes, at the front of the Parks is the only place to rent a wheelchair. The single exception to this is Epcot, where you can rent equipment at the International Gateway entrance as well.

See this post from the board FAQ to help answer some of your other questions: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...xt-trip-wish-trip.595713/page-2#post-40191044

Thanks for the link! I did look at the FAQ thread, but I guess I must have just skipped right over this post. Thank you!

Bumpiest ride to me (I do not do thrill rides either) is the Safari ride in AK. That one always leaves me "bounced" for sure. Yet is one of my favorites due to the animals.

Hope you have a great time.

just an FYI but if she need a place to lie down for a bit then First aid in all of the theme parks is a great place. I have a friend that can not handle bumpy rides ( the end of IASW is way to bumpy for her like she can not handle it) she dose mostly show

Bumpiest ride to me (I do not do thrill rides either) is the Safari ride in AK. That one always leaves me "bounced" for sure. Yet is one of my favorites due to the animals.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the warning! :)

just an FYI but if she need a place to lie down for a bit then First aid in all of the theme parks is a great place. I have a friend that can not handle bumpy rides ( the end of IASW is way to bumpy for her like she can not handle it) she dose mostly show

Thanks! I don't think she'll need that, especially if we're careful, but good to know it's there.

Much as I love Toy Story Mania, it really whips you around the corners. I can imagine someone with a bad back might find it problematic. Perhaps others can speak to that.

Can she handle drops? The "impact" at the bottom of Splash could be too intense, and sometimes the boats back up and bump after the drop as well.

Avoid Dinosaur, for certain! :scared:

My son has permanent nerve damage in his spinal cord so we can't do bumpy or jerky either. We avoid Space Mountain, RNRC, Splash Mountain (that is just because I don't like to get wet) Dinosaur. He says drops are fine and don't hurt (thank goodness because TOT is our favorite ride). We ride BTMR and he sort of braces himself with his feet and says it's o.k. SDMT is fine. He does TSMM fine. Safari hurts but he can do it once in a trip. EE doesn't hurt him because it doesn't seem to swing you a lot.

I just finished my second trip since a total hip replacement last July. My October trip was spent splitting my time between a wheelchair and cane and I didn't do any crazy rides. Last week, I tried a few that I thought would be okay. Like others have posted, Dinosaur, was the worst for me. I can't believe how brutal it was! Never again. In addition, like someone else posted, the Safari was pretty bumpy. It wasn't as bad as Dinosaur, but might be tough on someone with prior back surgery. At MK, the mountains are probably best to avoid.

Toy story is jerky for sure. I thought New track was a little better but it still throws you around

Regarding the safari ride, that one seems to vary a lot depending on where you're sitting. I've got a herniated disc in the Lumbar region and when I sat near the back row, I bounced so much, it was hours before I walked normally. Since then, I've asked for the first or second row, for medical reasons, and the CMs are always super-nice. The most I've had to wait is 15-30 seconds. But the first row is SO much better than the last

Regarding the safari ride, that one seems to vary a lot depending on where you're sitting. I've got a herniated disc in the Lumbar region and when I sat near the back row, I bounced so much, it was hours before I walked normally. Since then, I've asked for the first or second row, for medical reasons, and the CMs are always super-nice. The most I've had to wait is 15-30 seconds. But the first row is SO much better than the last

Thanks for the tip! That's helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter