Bumbershoot direction request...

princessnicchia

Mouseketeer
I read directions from Hojo's to Disneyland posted by bumbershoot (the secret way) and as I was reading it, I thought, aha, directions my directionally challenged little brain can understand!

Could you give directions to PP? (Which is where the Stitch and Lilo breakfast is, right) From Hojo? I could use mapquest, but because they give DRIVING directions, I find them confusing.

Or would you just recommend a taxi? Is it that far? We are pretty good walkers.

Well, you'd follow the Disney directions, but go through the entrance plaza, on through downtown disney, and then over to Paradise Pier. It would be quite a hike. My family has good walkers, too, and our kids are teens, but I'm planning to take a taxi over to Paradise Pier. It's a lot of walking, and that's not how I want to start my day. We will walk back, but we'll be going through the parks on the way back.

We stayed @ HoJo's and PP last month ~ our last night was spent @ PP. I had a taxi take us from HoJo to PP, it cost $10 (incl. tip) it was a taxi van. We're staying @ HoJo's again early March, we'll have breakfast @ Goofy's Kitchen ~ I'll have a taxi take us to DLH that morning.

The directions to PPH are fairly straightforward, but it's a long trek, and having ruined my feet doing it once (albeit in "cute" new shoes with heels), I'd call a cab. :)

To add on to the good directions given by a previous poster, after walking down Harbor and turning into the main entrance, you'd go through bag check (showing them what bags you might have), cross the esplanade, go out the bag check on the other side (no searching needed for leaving), go into DTD.

when you're in DTD you have a choice. Walk ALL the way through, past DLH and around the theaters, or go to Sephora and turn left into the GCH walkway. Go through that concrete path, go in the automatic sliding doors, turn left, walk along the hallway...get out into the main lobby of GCH, turn right, go out the gorgeous automatic sliding doors (if you're going at a time when guests are checking in or out you might not see the gorgeousness, if they are constantly open), turn left, walk along the sidewalk, cross the street, go in to PPH and go to the restaurant. There's a glass door with benches outside where I've seen smokers, and it seems that door opens from the outside, and it would get you to the restaurant quicker, but then you wouldn't see the cute lobby. :)

Whew! It's shorter than the directions make you think, but it's still a trek, and I'd still call a cab if you're planning on doing the parks that day, unless you guys are serious walkers with NO complainers.

Last time we went we used ART twice. Being the impatient sort, we (Me...Pooh-sized and with baaad feet, my 9 year old, and my 5 year old Jolly Green Giant of a child in a stroller) walked back and forth most of the time.

Now my kids are older, and on our trip last year we found that we can pretty much take whatever Disney can dish out. I was thinking about doing late dinner or desserts at DTD one night after the park closes.

My concern is safety. Harbor at midnight was still pretty well filled with tourists. If it gets much later than that I'd be hesitant about the walk back. Is it easy to get a cab from DTD? Would we have to go to the GC to get one?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row!

Thanks!

:p Well, I wouldn't say we have no complainers. I think we'll cab it. Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it.

Last time we went we used ART twice. Being the impatient sort, we (Me...Pooh-sized and with baaad feet, my 9 year old, and my 5 year old Jolly Green Giant of a child in a stroller) walked back and forth most of the time.

Now my kids are older, and on our trip last year we found that we can pretty much take whatever Disney can dish out. I was thinking about doing late dinner or desserts at DTD one night after the park closes.

My concern is safety. Harbor at midnight was still pretty well filled with tourists. If it gets much later than that I'd be hesitant about the walk back. Is it easy to get a cab from DTD? Would we have to go to the GC to get one?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row!

Thanks!

Ummm, we walk that way every time we stay at the HoJo. And I have done it just me and my girls with NO problems at all. You will be fine, but if you aren't comfy with it just cross Harbor and walk with everyone else. :) Oh and we've done the walk from the parks and from DTD after dark, late at night and it hasn't caused us any problems at all. :)

We will be staying at the HOJO this coming week-end and I would love to be reminded of the secret way to get from there to the parks...if I remember correctly it has something to do with walking on the opposite side of the street?

Does anyone have the link to the directions to get from Hojo to the park.

Thanks,
Bug

Read up, there are directions there. Walking is super easy, the HoJo is right across the street from DL and the monorail tracks are right there. Leave the hotel and walk towards Harbor (to your right), cross Manchester towards Mimi's, cross again right there. So cross Harbor and you're walking on the right side of the street instead of the left, walk down the street/sidewalk to the bus stop and cut thru at the end of the bus stop. Right after the newspaper machines you cut right, walk thru the taxi parking and then into the shuttle area. Walk up to security and there ya go.

Read up, there are directions there. Walking is super easy, the HoJo is right across the street from DL and the monorail tracks are right there. Leave the hotel and walk towards Harbor (to your right), cross Manchester towards Mimi's, cross again right there. So cross Harbor and you're walking on the right side of the street instead of the left, walk down the street/sidewalk to the bus stop and cut thru at the end of the bus stop. Right after the newspaper machines you cut right, walk thru the taxi parking and then into the shuttle area. Walk up to security and there ya go.

So looking at this map http://wikimapia.org/#lat=33.810438...l=0&m=a&v=2&search=howard johnson anaheim, ca
do I turn in at the driveway across from Camelot (just past McD's) or the one farther down just across from Tropicanna? Or there is one even farther up closer to Hojo, but that one does not seem to go anywhere...but I am usually wrong.

No, you're on the wrong side of the street. You're going to not be walking past all the hotels, you are going to walk down the other side, that side that runs parellel to DL. There are no hotels or anything there, just a fence hiding the DL behind the scenes stuff from people driving by. Are you driving? If so when you get there drive down Harbor to the light after Manchester (the light where you could turn into DL shuttle drop off if you were a shuttle) you will see the bus stop on your right. Trust me when I say you will walk thru the bus stop and then turn right after the newspaper dispensers. It's right there, you can miss it if you're not paying attention but if you perk up when you get to the bus stop you'll see it. The map you posted does not show the correct part of the street.

No, you're on the wrong side of the street. You're going to not be walking past all the hotels, you are going to walk down the other side, that side that runs parellel to DL. There are no hotels or anything there, just a fence hiding the DL behind the scenes stuff from people driving by. Are you driving? If so when you get there drive down Harbor to the light after Manchester (the light where you could turn into DL shuttle drop off if you were a shuttle) you will see the bus stop on your right. Trust me when I say you will walk thru the bus stop and then turn right after the newspaper dispensers. It's right there, you can miss it if you're not paying attention but if you perk up when you get to the bus stop you'll see it. The map you posted does not show the correct part of the street.

yes, I know walk down the "other" side of the street. And I come to a driveway, if I look across Harbor (acording to the map I posted) Camelot would be across the street. Do I turn here or keep going? If I keep walking down the "other" side of harbor I come to a second driveway that again if I were to look across harbor I would be across the street from Tropicana.
I am a very visual person and trying to figure out visually where to go. Or like you said, is my map not correct at all, therefor my thoughts of the correct walkway are way way off.

thanks for your help with this!

Looking at your map, when you look to the left and you see those aisles with swirly things at the far left of them, those are the areas where you wait for shuttles. If you see the second aisle/swirly from the top, you see it continue with crosswalk hash marks. Those go through the taxi area. Those are where you turn in, when walking down from HoJo. It will be BEFORE the crosswalk at Captain Kidds where everyone else is coming in. You will turn in before them, and walk along that aisleway, and then get to the green part, while everyone else who crossed at the big crosswalk with a light will be walking along the diamond walkway at the bottom there.

The area across from Camelot goes to a parking lot, and is not where you turn in. This is a visual of what the driveway into that lot looks like...don't turn in there.

ry%3D400

Hope that makes sense.

Here is the reverse view (for when you are going *back* to the hotel) of the green part of the walkway, with the aisleways in front of you:

ry%3D400

If you were walking *from* HoJo you would be coming towards, face to face, the couple in that picture.

Looking at your map, when you look to the left and you see those aisles with swirly things at the far left of them, those are the areas where you wait for shuttles. If you see the second aisle/swirly from the top, you see it continue with crosswalk hash marks. Those go through the taxi area. Those are where you turn in, when walking down from HoJo. It will be BEFORE the crosswalk at Captain Kidds where everyone else is coming in. You will turn in before them, and walk along that aisleway, and then get to the green part, while everyone else who crossed at the big crosswalk with a light will be walking along the diamond walkway at the bottom there.

The area across from Camelot goes to a parking lot, and is not where you turn in. This is a visual of what the driveway into that lot looks like...don't turn in there.

ry%3D400

Hope that makes sense.

Here is the reverse view (for when you are going *back* to the hotel) of the green part of the walkway, with the aisleways in front of you:

ry%3D400

If you were walking *from* HoJo you would be coming towards, face to face, the couple in that picture.

THANK YOU!! It all makes sence to me. see I would have tried to walk into the first driveway and probably gotten run over:rotfl2: :sad2:

Glad I could help. You would have figured it out, though, you wouldn't have gotten run over. :) When you're there it makes SO much more sense.

Though I think our first day we just walked to the crosswalk and went in with the other lemmings (since I often am one of them, I am not really insulting them, just describing), and on the way OUT we got brave.

Going out via that aisleway we could more easily see that there was a nice, safe crosswalk, we weren't going to be taken to the 5th dimension where we would never get into DLR, and it would all be OK.

Next time I go I'm going to take many more pictures of the various ways...I tried, but I was just too excited to take enough pictures to truly show the way. Next time I'm doing a definitive photoshoot. :)

yes, I know walk down the "other" side of the street. And I come to a driveway, if I look across Harbor (acording to the map I posted) Camelot would be across the street. Do I turn here or keep going? If I keep walking down the "other" side of harbor I come to a second driveway that again if I were to look across harbor I would be across the street from Tropicana.
I am a very visual person and trying to figure out visually where to go. Or like you said, is my map not correct at all, therefor my thoughts of the correct walkway are way way off.

thanks for your help with this!

Ok, got it, yes you were right I misunderstood where you were standing. :) Hypothetically of course. I love Molly's pictures, she does such a good job of explaining that. I keep thinking I should print up a google map and mark it up, scan it in and then keep it ready to post but I have yet to get around to that. :)

Molly, you rock, but you knew that already. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter