Build my own computer or buy from Best Buy? Advice, please

disneybound31

DIS Veteran
We own a very old, very slow desk top that was given to us. It is falling apart and hardly works. I have been researching laptops and have found the one I feel will fit our needs and is a price we can afford. At Best Buy they have it in stock and it gets very high reviews and has good specs. Then I found last night that I can 'build' this same laptop with same specs directly from the HP home website for $78 less and free shipping.

The one and only difference would be that the built one would not have a webcam (which we do not use and I don't forsee using) but I could add one to the unit for $30- still a $48 savings over the big box store.

I am wary about shipping a computer- damage in transit? And I am worried that if it has a problem then I only have 21 days from arrival to return. The warranty is same at both places- 1 year. But I see that I can't really return after 30 days at Best Buy so it seems like a wash.... what would you guys do? Does anyone have experience 'building' their own from a company site? Should I just go with the big box store?

TIA:flower3:

My son would tell you skip Hp and just buy all your specific components. But build yourself.

He is eager to do this. His current laptop is not up to his speed(even though I paid extra for that!!It's a Vaio)But he is a big time Computer freak- so I know he could pull it off.

For you building it at HP really is just the same as buying in store. And they are shipping them to the store anyway-so why not save some $$. Have to spoken with Bestbuy - they may price match to get the business.

Thank you for weighing in- I would not know the first thing about building it myself! Sounds scary! I never thought about asking for a price match... the in store product does come with a webcam so I would bet they would refuse to match based on that difference. I guess I am just wondering if I will really be getting the same exact product- I am just not hugely computer saavy. I am looking at both sets of specs and they match up identically except for the webcam. They look same and all numbers are the same.

Thanks for your post!

For that price difference, I'd buy it already made and be secure in the manufacturer's warranty.

Building it yourself...what kind of warranty do you get, especially if you're handling all the parts yourself? Probably not as good as buying a computer ready to use out of the box.

As for shipping, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about that. All the computers we use in my house now were shipped (two Dell systems, one HP) and never had any issues at all.

Do not worry about shipping, I have bought many laptops from different companies and web sites. I never had any problem.

For that price difference, I'd buy it already made and be secure in the manufacturer's warranty.

Building it yourself...what kind of warranty do you get, especially if you're handling all the parts yourself? Probably not as good as buying a computer ready to use out of the box.

As for shipping, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about that. All the computers we use in my house now were shipped (two Dell systems, one HP) and never had any issues at all.
The OP isn't talking about really building it herself. She is talking about logging on to HP.com and selecting from different options and the computer is shipped with warranty and all the options that the OP wanted.

I prefer Dell online and just bought a "custom" computer for the parents. The great thing about it is anything bought from a big box retailer they have made decisions for the "average" user. Well I know my parents and was able to not get all the things I knew they would never use. For example, they didn't need a DVD burner, they really only do basic word processing, email, internet and downloading pictures from their digital camera.

Also you may want to check with your company, you may get a corporate discount from Dell online.

Your wording threw me for a second. Your not "building" your own computer in the true sense of the word. You have to be careful because many people actually do build their own computers. I wouldn't recommend that unless you really know what you are doing. As for "putting together" a computer at Dell, HP, Gateway etc... I highly recommend it, if it is cheaper for you. I have done it many times and never have had a problem. I get exactly what I want and most of the time they have free shipping or free printers or a camera thrown in the deal. Go with what is cheapest for you!

do you have a Costco near you ? I bought my laptop there.

1) standard warranty is 2 years. (TWO!). I used that 2nd year for a hard drive that failed

2) cheap prices

3) concierge help service in Florida for any technical problems

4) 90 day return policy. no questions asked. get it home, don't like it ? return it. used, open, whatever as long as all components are there for full credit and no restocking fee.

definitely worth the $50 Costco membership fee!

I'd stay away from HP and WorstBuy. Costco is definitely a great option and so is Dell online. There are also always discount codes available out there for Dell. Techbargains.com has many Dell discount codes.

Also, if you use Dell, sign up for the Dell Preferred Account. You can save an additional 3-4% using your DPA account.

If you are 100% sure they are the same then just order it from HP. The shipping of the PC is not a problem. I would buy from the store if I needed it today.

I'd stay away from HP and WorstBuy. Costco is definitely a great option and so is Dell online. There are also always discount codes available out there for Dell. Techbargains.com has many Dell discount codes.

Also, if you use Dell, sign up for the Dell Preferred Account. You can save an additional 3-4% using your DPA account.

I looked at the Dell's, but most of them do not have what we need and the ones that are whatwe need are out of my price range. Can you expound on why you would not want to use HP?

Your wording threw me for a second. Your not "building" your own computer in the true sense of the word. You have to be careful because many people actually do build their own computers. I wouldn't recommend that unless you really know what you are doing. As for "putting together" a computer at Dell, HP, Gateway etc... I highly recommend it, if it is cheaper for you. I have done it many times and never have had a problem. I get exactly what I want and most of the time they have free shipping or free printers or a camera thrown in the deal. Go with what is cheapest for you!

Yep- sorry about the wording! But you are correct- I am looking into having it put together at HP.com with only what we need vs. the already set up one at Bestbuy. The BestBuy price is not bad, but if I can save almost $80 by forgoing the webcam that I think would never get used anyway and having it shipped for free then I should go with that. So you have never had any problem with bad packing or damages on arrival? That is my biggest concern- that I would have the hassle of returning and getting a replacement...:sad2:

I'm involved in corporate purchasing of PCs. HPs have service issues - and their service sucks. I'd stay away from the brand (they still make great printers). However, we are talking about Dells and HPs at the rate of 20,000 units per year at my company. (Strangly, if you are posting this from Asia, stay away from Dells, you'll get better units from HP).

Shipping isn't a problem, if its broken when you get it, they'll take it back and send you a new one. Its six months down the road.....

The benefit of buying from a brick and mortar retailer is that you can walk in and pick up your PC off the shelf today instead of waiting for it. In addition to the webcam (I don't use one either) this might swing you the other way. What you are really paying for is the inventory and stocking costs - more expensive than you'd guess. If you can wait for the unit, order direct.

I'm also an IT manager at a small business and we deal with Dell. If you have your heart set on HP, I would save the money and purchase through the website to get what you want at the best price.

Speed :teleport:

Yes, stay away from Dell. I will never buy another Dell after the serious ordering issues, (delayed twice without telling us), and the poor, poor customer service and tech support. Both my laptop and desk top has had nothing but issues, and any other family member who has one has also had nothing but issues with Dell. I have had good luck with my two Gateways (tablet pc, and desktop) I had each of those for two years or more and never once had to call tech support.

Yes, stay away from Dell. I will never buy another Dell after the serious ordering issues, (delayed twice without telling us), and the poor, poor customer service and tech support. Both my laptop and desk top has had nothing but issues, and any other family member who has one has also had nothing but issues with Dell. I have had good luck with my two Gateways (tablet pc, and desktop) I had each of those for two years or more and never once had to call tech support.
You didn't really delve into what your "issue" is with Dell, but just like if you head over to the transportion forum there is always someone who hates "X" airline. My entire family has some sort of combo of Dell laptops and desktops. We haven't had any problems and found the prices quite reasonable.

For the average user if the HP deal meets your user needs and price needs then go for it. Most problems happen after the warranty is up, so pick something that you can afford now without selling your soul to the Hyuandai devil.

I've never had any issues with Dell that weren't fixed immediately.

I HAVE had issues with HP and Compaq.

Check Dell's Outlet for BIG savings. My laptop was a refurbished model and it looked and smelled new. Never looked like it was touched. It was about $350 less buying it that way than an exact same thing new. Our scratch and dent was a tower and it had a little mark that came off. I probably saved $150 or so, but it was tower only...no monitor.

I have bought 2 Dells and plan on buying another later this year. I have never had an HP product that I liked(they are also very proud of their printer cartridge prices!). I always felt violated after I purchased an HP. I am sure you will be able to build a Dell in your price range. Dell is also known for its excellent hardware/software compatibility, something I can't say for HP.

Well, I have no advice on a computer, but I will say this. Best Buy just royally screwed us on a $1000 tv and a 4 year extended warranty so I'd say avoid BB like the plague. If you do go with BB, don't get an extended warranty because they WILL NOT HONOR it, they'll blame you for breaking it (even when the defect has nothing to do with physical damage) and weasel out of making the repairs or replacing it.

I found this site around Black Friday, and it helped me get an AWESOME cpu, 250GB hard drive, dvd burner, 2GB ram, with a 22 in flat screen monitor for 400 dollars!!

People find deals and post them online. Dell gave me AWESOME customer service during setup.

The Vostro220 is what i have. I got it through Dell Business, but you're allowed. The deal at the top of the page is a really good one IMO...

I can't link....darn.
its dealsofamerica dot com /desktop_deals.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter