Build my own computer or buy from Best Buy? Advice, please

OP here--

Now I am a bit confused. Stay away from Dell or stay away from HP? To be honest I really have only researched this HP extensively... I read 182 total reviews from a couple different websites and the only, and i mean only, negative was that the shiny black outside attracted fingerprints. I read only one review in all those who had a technical problem and that was a LCD screen leak that sounded like a freak event, not something chronic.

For full disclosure I will say that this is HP G60-235DX- Energy Star rated laptop...$549 in store... $499 if I order direct with free shipping, an additional $10 off and an $18 rebate from going through ebates to order. Plus, our TN sales tax is 9.25 and I may be charged the lesser state tax from the company origin, but not for sure on that. Have to look into it. The computer really has gotten glowing reviews...it's use will be primarily for internet surfing, loading pics from camera and printing, kids will use for school, etc. Nothing too crazy, but I would like for it to last at least 3 years to feel like I am not throwing $ away. Then again, I drive my cars for 6+ years before replacing and DH has had same SUV for almost 12 years now! We are pretty thrifty. This thing doesn't have to be fast as lightening but it does have to be functional!

Sorry for writing a book! Any Dell suggestions for similar prices? I want a larger screen- the HP is 15.9. TIA! You guys are really helping me think.

honestly, its like the airlines; you fly them all enough, you hate them all. You will hear horror stories about every brand if you ask enough people.... I had a Dell that motherboard friend... anecdotally (sp?) I heard that their fans weren't large enough and that was a problem. Proven ? No, but AmEx bought me a replacement (2nd year warranty). I just had an HP hard drive fail and I heard from others that is a problem. Proven ? No, but Costco's 2nd year warranty had it replaced for free.

So... ultimately, go with what you are comfortable. You've gotten some great advice. I'm not a huge fan of the big box stores and wouldn't worry about buying it online to be shipped to you. How do you think the big box stores get theirs ? They get shipped exactly like yours would be. I would worry more that you get a box that someone else opened and returned.

good luck!

We build our own desktops here. i wish DH could build a laptop, that is what i use exclusively. I have had trouble with sharp ,Dell (real bad), gateway and HP. The ones with no problems so far are the acer cheapy models. My DD needed a new laptop for JR high because of their laptop program and so I sucked it up and bought another dell despite my HORROR stories with them on my last laptop from them. I have an account with them so I went with it. I am hoping I can extend the 2 hear warranty on it at some point and I am making DH or DD talk to tech support. My nerves can't take it. I bought my son a toshiba thiis past christmas and no problem with that either.

Well, I have no advice on a computer, but I will say this. Best Buy just royally screwed us on a $1000 tv and a 4 year extended warranty so I'd say avoid BB like the plague. If you do go with BB, don't get an extended warranty because they WILL NOT HONOR it, they'll blame you for breaking it (even when the defect has nothing to do with physical damage) and weasel out of making the repairs or replacing it.
This was my experience with the extended warranty at best buy too. They said it was a virus on my computer when I had virus protection on it and my DH had checked that out. My DH knows alot about computers. I won't go to best buy for anything anymore. I can't stand that place. We go to costco or EB games or target or even sears but no best buy.

About 14 years ago I had a friend that built computers, so he built mine. He built my Mothers. About 7 years ago I wanted to upgrade and he told me to buy a Dell - there was no way he could match their prices. So I did. 3 desktops and 1 laptop later - I have never had a problem. I actually dropped the laptop about 5 feet onto it's corner. The hinge "broke", but everything works fine. I just leave it open now. After all - it's 5.

If you know what you want - go on Dell's website and "build" one comparable to the HP - see how the price shakes out. Like other's have mentioned there are discount codes, I receive emails and there are deals going on now.

One thing I will complain about with my laptop - it's very heavy. It has a 17 inch screen - really a desktop replacement. But I occasionally take it on trips and it is a pain it is so big and heavy. My next one is going to be slim and sleek. LOL

Like a PP I work in corporate IT, and we deal exclusively with Dell's. I have no real issues with their build (at least the business pc's, the consumer pc's are different and may have different build quality) My family has had several HP's and they were ok. Most manufacturers get their parts from the same handful of companies in Asia, and many are even assembled at the same plants, so most major brands are all reasonable. The big difference IMHO really comes down to warranty and support. Many times when you buy a system in a big box store, you have to go through them to handle warranty issues, rather than with the company direct. So this can add several weeks onto the turn around time if repairs are needed. Check the warranty coverage you get when buying it online, to see if they cover onsite repairs, local repair depot, or if you need to ship it back to them.
There is no real difference in customizing a PC from the manufacturer, and selecting one off of the shelf. Ignore the model numbers as most stores now get their own "custom" model number to weasel out of a price match. It's more about the specs. If they are comparable, then go with the cheaper option. If you do go big box, get any promises they make about a warranty in WRITING. And as a PP said, their extended warranty is almost always crud.

About 14 years ago I had a friend that built computers, so he built mine. He built my Mothers. About 7 years ago I wanted to upgrade and he told me to buy a Dell - there was no way he could match their prices....

This is what I say all the time. Budget wise, there is no way to build a decent PC around what you can buy it for online. Especially those bundled with LCD screens.

I stick with specialty builds like small cubes or specialized, higher end multimedia machines, like for video editing.

I would attempt to build a PC only if I had Windows OS that I could reuse from the old/broken PC & didn’t need a new monitor.

Dell, HP, etc. will serve the purpose for most of you and will work just fine. All those major brand PCs come with bunch of their specific software, free or trialware. You can clean it up and get rid of the stuff you don’t need, it just slows down the PC.

The only beef I have with Dell, and don’t get me wrong, this is NOT an everyday problem, if PC or laptop comes DOA, they’ll replace the necessary parts with “Refurbished” one. Not sure if HP or others do the same, most likely they do.

But I still recommend a Dell for its price. Save that few hundreds today and use it a year or two later (only if you need to) to purchase new and faster PC rather then trying to fix an outdated one. Computer technology changes so fast, you’ll be better off with a new purchase.

You can easily figure out what I think of an extended warranty for PC as well… :rolleyes1

Like a PP I work in corporate IT, and we deal exclusively with Dell's. I have no real issues with their build (at least the business pc's, the consumer pc's are different and may have different build quality) My family has had several HP's and they were ok. Most manufacturers get their parts from the same handful of companies in Asia, and many are even assembled at the same plants, so most major brands are all reasonable. The big difference IMHO really comes down to warranty and support. Many times when you buy a system in a big box store, you have to go through them to handle warranty issues, rather than with the company direct. So this can add several weeks onto the turn around time if repairs are needed. Check the warranty coverage you get when buying it online, to see if they cover onsite repairs, local repair depot, or if you need to ship it back to them.
There is no real difference in customizing a PC from the manufacturer, and selecting one off of the shelf. Ignore the model numbers as most stores now get their own "custom" model number to weasel out of a price match. It's more about the specs. If they are comparable, then go with the cheaper option. If you do go big box, get any promises they make about a warranty in WRITING. And as a PP said, their extended warranty is almost always crud.

Every word :thumbsup2 , since it took me so long to post, you posted before me...

I have had trouble with dell, motherboard fried after 7 months on a laptop. they refused to fix it , i would have had to pay 500.00 for them to fix it, same as what i paid for the laptop. I went to best buy and bought a hp desktop and and i paid around 500.00 and am very happy.
Kim

I have had trouble with dell, motherboard fried after 7 months on a laptop. they refused to fix it , i would have had to pay 500.00 for them to fix it, same as what i paid for the laptop. I went to best buy and bought a hp desktop and and i paid around 500.00 and am very happy.
Kim

Wouldn't that have been under warranty?

Every word you have read in this thread is true..Brick and mortars DO sell almost exclusively unique models. This IS to prevent price matching. I worked for a major office supply company and saw it every day.
My two cents..I agree with the trying to save a buck or two theory, and the warranty theory. I just told an associate at Best Buy two days ago when buying a GPS. (a story I wont go into deeply). I paid about 150 bucks, and he tried to sell me the warranty, stating that the screen to replace is 100 bucks easy. Well, mister, I told him if he was suspicious about the GPS screen, that maybe this isnt the brand or model i WANT..I then grumbled that in a year, Ill be able to get a model twice as good for 100 bucks..
Trying to comparison shop electronics will make you buggy. Wait until 6 months from now, when you see your identical model for 100 bucks less..That'll really burn your britches..
As for laptops..I bought an acer. I loved it. Unfortunately, I had to return it, because the ethernet connector was missing..When I got back the next day, they didnt have any more. I had to get a copaq. Which, I have to add, is pretty good as well. No complaints.
When it comes to pc's and hardrives, etc..its a tough call. Things do break. I dont think any manufacturer over another. The trick is to have a good pc guy around who can fix the things. Chances are, youll choose the cheapest replacement part, not a direct replacement..So, refurbished is not horrible..
Try to stay in your price range, look around, and haggle. Im very happy with my 399 compaq laptop.

Wouldn't that have been under warranty?

no, they said it wasn't covered.we fought with them over the phone for weeks not getting anywhere. so we gave up and swore never to buy another thing a dell again. kim

Here's a pretty good deal:

www.woot.com

$549.99 + $5 (shipping)

* High resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440×900)
* Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2MB cache
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit)
* 4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
* 320GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
* Facial recognition biometric security, simply look at the laptop's camera and it will recognize your face and login
* HDMI port, enjoy high-def content on an HDTV
* 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW)
* Intel High Definition Audio 2.0
* Built-in 2.0MP webcam
* Intel 965PM / GM Express Chipset
* Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
* Dell Wireless 1510 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card
* Gigabit high-speed Ethernet
* 9 Cell Lithium Ion battery
* Red Deck Lid with Centered Dell Logo

It's REFURBISHED, but you can get a warranty at www.SquareTrade.com. Use code 'MEMORIAL' through 5/31 to get 40% off of the warranty.

This deal was stolen from Fatwallet.com:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/927793/

OP, have you looked at woot today ? I'm not up on current deals, but it looks like a good one there.

We've owned HP or Compaq computers almost exclusively for the last 14 years, with only two exceptions: my youngest daughter and I both received Dell laptops for Christmas from my husband in 2004. My husband and son are computer geeks, and all 4 of my children have a laptop and a desktop. The two oldest are in college, and use their laptops regularly. For us, the Dell and HP/Compaq are almost the same in quality and performance, but HP beat Dell in customer service several times. I still use the Dell laptops in my daycare, as well as several older desktops from HP. We once had to "restore" the Dell laptops, and had to order(and pay $30) for the restore discs from Dell, while the restore program is located right on my Compaq laptop. My mother gets a corporate discount from Dell through work, and she recently purchased an Acer netbook as opposed to the Dell because she is tired of the poor customer service. Obviously, several other people have had the opposite experience, with better customer service from Dell, but not us. We also use HP printers only, and those things last forever! I just gave my brother a flatbed printer/scanner/copier I paid $60 for ten years ago, and he loves it...and uses it daily! If I were the original poster, I'd purchase directly from HP to save a little money...the same warranty will apply to either computer. I recently purchased a mini netbook(Acer) because it had the features I wanted, and I figure the parts all come from the same factory in China. And I've had LOTS of laptops shipped to me without any problems. Trust me, Best Buy doesn't build the computers there...they are shipped to them, too!

I found this site around Black Friday, and it helped me get an AWESOME cpu, 250GB hard drive, dvd burner, 2GB ram, with a 22 in flat screen monitor for 400 dollars!!

People find deals and post them online. Dell gave me AWESOME customer service during setup.

The Vostro220 is what i have. I got it through Dell Business, but you're allowed. The deal at the top of the page is a really good one IMO...

I can't link....darn.
its dealsofamerica dot com /desktop_deals.php

Thanks so much for posting about this site!!! :flower3:

I found a great deal on an HP from Staples. :thumbsup2

OP here--

Now I am a bit confused. Stay away from Dell or stay away from HP? To be honest I really have only researched this HP extensively... I read 182 total reviews from a couple different websites and the only, and i mean only, negative was that the shiny black outside attracted fingerprints. I read only one review in all those who had a technical problem and that was a LCD screen leak that sounded like a freak event, not something chronic.

For full disclosure I will say that this is HP G60-235DX- Energy Star rated laptop...$549 in store... $499 if I order direct with free shipping, an additional $10 off and an $18 rebate from going through ebates to order. Plus, our TN sales tax is 9.25 and I may be charged the lesser state tax from the company origin, but not for sure on that. Have to look into it. The computer really has gotten glowing reviews...it's use will be primarily for internet surfing, loading pics from camera and printing, kids will use for school, etc. Nothing too crazy, but I would like for it to last at least 3 years to feel like I am not throwing $ away. Then again, I drive my cars for 6+ years before replacing and DH has had same SUV for almost 12 years now! We are pretty thrifty. This thing doesn't have to be fast as lightening but it does have to be functional!

Sorry for writing a book! Any Dell suggestions for similar prices? I want a larger screen- the HP is 15.9. TIA! You guys are really helping me think.

That model was on sale at Costco online thru YESTERDAY for $549, with the doubled warranty.

If you are a upromise member, be sure to shop through their links. 2% cash back at most of the computer places. Some special coupons as well. I just ordered a couple of IBM laptops today using a upromise coupon. They also have some offers for Dell and HP. I do not worry a bit about ordering and having it shipped. It is done millions of times a day. They have to get to Best Buy someway!

OP here-

Well, I went thru my ebates account and got 3% back on a HP G60-T laptop customized and shipped for free for $475... so including tax it was $536 but I will get roughly $16 back from ebates and I feel pretty good about @$520 for this laptop. I was able to get free upgrades on it- and I wanted to post the specs, but I guess I left them at home and I'm at work now.

My DH called his office computer tech guy and read off the specs and he said it sounds like a good deal and it should take care of our needs just fine. I'm almost scared to post the specs now that I think about it--- I would hate for someone to burst my bubble... :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter