Budget has gone "out the window" - which to choose?

Which of these for our family of 5?

• Yacht Club

• Beach Club

• Polynesian

• Two rooms at POR

Results are only viewable after voting.

jcemom

Official Tag Fairy Assistant
Well, it seems my plans for a "budget" trip have gone out the window. My thoughts were either two Value rooms, or one room at POR. Both have been vetoed by the rest of the family. The boys want a "better pool" than the Values offer, DH says one POR room will be too crowded.

There will be 5 of us...me, DH, DS 12, DS 11, and DD 3. We are doing a four night cruise in January '06, with three WDW nights on each end.

I've narrowed it down to 2 rooms at POR, or one room at YC/BC or Poly. We will be visiting all four parks and DTD/DQ. We'll have a car, but prefer not to use it. We do take afternoon breaks, so I'm guessing we'll make 1 trip each to AK and DTD/DQ, two trips to MGM, and two or three trips each to MK and Epcot. At the top of our "want list" is a good pool (then we just need to hope for good weather), and good dining options. Recreation options are also a consideration: sea raycers and/or surrey bikes. Room view is completely unimportant.

Prices are comparable between the three choices, with the two rooms at POR being the least expensive, and the Poly being the most expensive, but not by a lot.

So, which would you choose? If you don't mind, please let me know WHY also. Anything I've failed to consider? TIA

It might be crowded in your room at POR, but are you going to be in your room enough for it to matter? We love POR, and there are 5 of us. If it's an issue go for two rooms. But for us I can't see spending the extra, when we don't spend that much time in the room.

:flower1: Have a Disney Day :flower1:

I just don't think you can beat having the monorail when you have 2 boys that age and a little one :) If you allow them, the boys will LOVE riding the monorail and exploring on their own (My brothers did this back in the early 80s and still talk about how cool it was!)
The Poly is beautiful and has great dining options and probably the best overall transportation on property b/c you can walk to the TTC and connect elsewhere...
With a little Princess, having the monorail to reach the MK will be "priceless".
Your boys will have the Marina right there, too, for Sea Raycers!
You can't go wrong with any of the Deluxes you mention but my vote is for the Poly. (I've never stayed there but at GF many times so I KNOW how convenient the mono is)

I would definately think about doing the 2 rooms at the POFQ, mainly because of the extra room. Having stayed on a monorail resort before, it was fun, but I would have enjoyed having a room away from the kids instead,,lol. I love the sea serpent pool at POFQ and have very fond memories of riding the boat to DTD and to the 'Dixie Landings' where my girls did get to do fishing at the fishing pond. I think even at one of the deluxes, you will feel a bit cramped with 5 of you in a room at night, not to mention the problem of having only one bathroom. (I have two girls,, these things are important to us,,LOL)

Whatever you do, you will have a great time :)

Budget? I don't use that word when it comes to our Disney trips...I budget everything else in our lives so I don't have to be careful when we visit Mickey!!

We voted for the BC because this is what we are doing for the first time this Fall. We, too, are a family of five...DD 11, DS 8, DS 3. Last Fall we stayed at WL and absolutely loved it!!! We got away with a reg. room cause the little guy was 2. Have considered a Jr. Suite at WL because the kids adored the resort...you might want to check that out as well. It was great being a boat ride away from the MK.

We want to check out the great pool at BC for this year's trip and will love being within walking distance to Epcot and MGM. The pool and B&C have been the big draw to this resort.

Good luck with your choice...if only they were all so difficult!
Sending you lots of pixie dust for a magical, memorable family vacation!

Thanks to everyone for your posts so far! It sounds as if I can't really go wrong no matter which I choose, and that does make me feel better. Each choice seems to have its fans, and there hasn't been really anything negative said here. That's terrific.

We stayed at AKL last year, when DD was almost 1 1/2 and didn't mind all being in one room. That's why I figured we could do one room at POR this time, but then the kids are growing I guess. Not that they take up THAT much more space, but at AKL we had bunk beds for the boys.

I'm staying at WL this trip coming, with my mom, sister, and DD, and so I wanted to try a new resort next time. Plus, the WL deluxe room is about $100/night more than the other choices.

BC is one of our favorite resorts and it's a great location however I went with the bigger room size and great location in the Polynesian. You ar eon the monorail with easy access to Epcot and MK of course but more important the room is bigger. then you'd have your car for DTD or AK if needed.

I would go with the BC or the YC. Both resorts are beautiful, but the real killer is the pool, which is fabulous and a great treat for some afternoon breaks. :D

I would vote for the Poly for the same reasons some of the other posters mentioned...the monorail and proximity to the MK. Plus, the Poly has an awesome pool!

We stayed at the GF in June with DS 8, DS 6 and DD almost 3, and I under-estimated how impressed DD was with being able to see the castle from the hotel. (We didn't have a castle view room, but we could see the castle during our comings and goings and meals around the GF.) In November, we joined my DH for a few days at a conference at the Swan/Dolphin and my DD kept asking where the castle was! : )

Sharon

Hi!
Yrs aoo I stayed at Poly with kids about the same age and did it three more time because it worked out so well!

So, my vote is for Poly because of the monorial and walk to TTC for EPCOT - both are so easy and the room in Tokelau, Tahiti and the one opposite Tahiti (how could I forget?) are larger than any other deluxe on property so you will not feel cramoed at all.

If you go with Poly my suggestion would be to request Tokelau, pool view,(all rooms have a balcony or patio in this Longhouse) because it is centrally located. I know the Pool at YC can be a huge draw, esp with kids that age and you can walk to EPCOT and have the boat or walk to MGM, so you could not go wrong there either. But when we stayed at BC in '98 with 2 adults an 18 yr and 5 & 7 yr old it was a little tight - probably because we were used to the large rooms at Poly.

If budget is not a consideration then it's a bit easier to go with what's easy to get around - monorail at Poly or walking to EPCOT :) Although the bus service at YC/BC is sooo slow when it stops at the other resorts - that was a huge drawback for us. So much so that I would be very hesitant to return.

No notice of mention if CR - sometimes the rates are lower there for a parking lot view (and what's great about this is the monorial silently glides by your window which is a thrill for the kinds & even adults!). Those rooms are quite large, great transporation.

Good luck in your decision - you can't go wrong no matter which resort you choose!!
Have a great trip!

I would like to stay at the CR sometime, just to try it out, but it totally does not appeal to DH and the boys. Too much concrete around the pool, I think, and just not enough theming. It seems to have a bit of a "big city" feel, and isn't "us" I guess. I think we prefer something more laid back. We all absolutely loved the AKL. I'm not sure if we would love it as much in the summer as the savannahs have a "hot look" to them. The pool area was very lush and tropical feeling, though. The lobby was just incredible, and my DH loved the smell of the lobby. We also liked that everything was in one building.

If I add the YC and BC votes together (since they are almost the same resort) then the vote is very close between them and the Poly. I think I am still very much undecided. The Stormalong Bay pool is definitely a big draw. It looks SO great. However, the monorail access to Magic Kingdom and Epcot would be great too. No jacuzzi at the Poly is a minus, though, I think. That's something we enjoy. Having four beds at POR would be nice too, LOL.

I appreciate everyone's opinions! If this is the toughest decision I ever have to make then life will be all good, huh? :rolleyes:

I'd go for 2 rooms at POR. 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's, more space, and privacy for mom and dad if you want it.

I sure understand the lack of appeal and the feeling of "city" - the Poly is my fav deluxe when it comes to feeling away from it all (and far away)!! CBR is my fav moderate that takes me away from it all!

Anyway, it's a great decision to have to make and doing so is part of the fun!!

Enjoy!!

If this is your first trip, I suggest two rooms. You won't spend that much time in the room, but one room with 5 people for any length of time could lose its "fun" quickly.

Since budget is a concern, two value rooms should be a good deal for 5 people.

Enjoy your stay!

:mickeybar

Polynesian, bigger rooms, great pool and playground, monorail and a great snack food area.

SAB at the YC/BC is great but it is very hard on parents with children at different ages to be able to keep up with them. Your kids will love the valcano pool and you can watch the boys and have fun with your toddler at the same time. You can not do that at SAB.

My second choice would be 2 rooms, so you have 2 bath rooms and a room to put the kids to bed in and be able to have a room for you. The only problem with 2 adults going, Disney will not guarantee connecting rooms. They will try but not a guarantee.

I guess I have to agree with ARMOM. I can't imagine you're going to notice that a room at one of the deluxes is that much larger that it would be worth the cost, if you're otherwise satisfied with POR.

My family is thrilled to go to Disney, and if they complained the pools weren't cool enough, or the room big enough, they could just stay home!

Sorry, just finished fighting with DH and this probably sounds very snippy!

You did not mention the days of the week your WDW nights are but I would check in to renting points from a DVC'er. The month of Jan has the "cheapest" rates (lowest number of points - usually rent for $10/point). We stayed in a 2 bed/2 bath villa at WL in Sept Sun - Thurs for $1500. Not a lot for a 2 bed. Plus they have kitchens & w/d so we saved money eating their for breakfast daily & a lot of lunches too, plus we bought our own drinks & snacks which saved money. And the w/d is great so you can pack less, eash b4 & after your cruise!! Check on the DVC board to see what the points are. 2006 is not out yet but you'll get an idea. There are studios, 1 bedrooms & 2 bedrooms! OKW has the lowest number of points. BWV, BCV & WLV and now SSR are the other DVC choices. Remember, you don't have to add tax or those other hotel fees on the price so it really seems more affordable!!

Erin, sorry I left that out! It will be basically all weekends! Thursday-Sunday times two, making the points required much higher. A 2 bedroom at OKW would cost us 130 points for the first stay, and 155 for the second, based on this year. That's an average of $475/night. Too much! (I don't need a kitchen, won't cook on vacation, LOL. The fridge is all we require, and I think I read that the mods and deluxes have them now, or will soon.) Good suggestion though!

Well, I haven't stayed at thoae hotels so I can't vote, but this is what I think... the Deluxe rooms are not THAT much larger, but the beds are... That might be important to you if you have to share the bed with your youngest, or the three kids have to try and fit on one bed. However, if that's not a problem, I don't think it's worth going to a Deluxe. Figure out how much more money it would cost and explain to them what you could do with that money. More shopping, new clothes for the trip... Maybe then they'll not disagree so much. Let them stay in a different hotel each time, that would be fun too. Although, if your youngest is going to be 3 POR is your only moderate choice, and the deluxes won't fit you either (we're having the same problem so we're rushing a trip next Dec). Good luck whatever you decide!

shirleyb said:
I guess I have to agree with ARMOM. I can't imagine you're going to notice that a room at one of the deluxes is that much larger that it would be worth the cost, if you're otherwise satisfied with POR.

My family is thrilled to go to Disney, and if they complained the pools weren't cool enough, or the room big enough, they could just stay home!

Sorry, just finished fighting with DH and this probably sounds very snippy!
LOL, didn't sound snippy to me at all! I AM leaving them home on my next trip, LOL. It will be me, my DD (who never complains ;) ), my mom, and my sister. We're staying at WL. I had planned on just DD and I staying at Pop. Then my mom jumped in and she needed a jacuzzi, and so I "decided" on POFQ. Then my sister invited herself along and didn't want to stay anywhere with anything bearing a slight resemblance to clowns (there went POFQ with it's jesters). I didn't want anything too large, which ruled out the other mods. So we "settled" on WL, which I'm sure I'll absolutely love!

The only reason I don't protest too much is because I'm not complaining about a mod or a deluxe, LOL. I don't mind certainly. I won't have to live on ramen noodles to pay for it or anything. I just thought we spent a silly amount of money at AKL last year, not just on the resort, but on everything in general. I thought I would do it "smarter" this year, and "save" some money. Does that make any sense? So, it's not a problem to do one of these other resorts, but I don't know which. I cannot afford to go GF concierge or anything, so money isn't unlimited, but we won't do without anything to stay at one of my "narrowed down" choices. I'm very good at budgeting in my normal, every day, life. Vacations always seem to throw me for a loop though. I try to budget, but it seems to grow and grow as I go along. (with help from the rest of the family, of course)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter