Bruce Jenner special

Nobody that depends on ratings and popularity to maintain their celebrity is going to say anything negative about him.

In a way the whole thing is very emperor's new clothes.
There's something not right going on with him. He seemed odd in the interview, his plastic surgery seems like an obsession. He gave me a Michael Jackson with the creepy mannequins or Tom Cruise couch jumping vibe.
Of course nobody can cone out and question what's really going on with him because they'll get too much backlash even if it's not about him being transgender.
This is very astute, and I'm sure all the PR people employed by this family is already way ahead of you on figuring it out. The groundswell of support, as evidenced in small measure by this thread, would clearly indicate that anybody who spoke out against him would be vilified. And the issue would be identified as intolerance and "hatred" rather than the personal pain it has caused in their own lives.

So he should live an unhappy, dishonest life so as not to potentially confuse his grandchildren?

It's been my experience that children can be pretty accepting when they're given the chance.
Honestly, when it comes to being brave, courageous and inspirational, I would attribute those characteristics more to somebody who puts his own needs and wants aside for the sake of what's best for others than somebody who decided to live his truth no matter how it affects the people he loves.

This is very astute, and I'm sure all the PR people employed by this family is already way ahead of you on figuring it out. The groundswell of support, as evidenced in small measure by this thread, would clearly indicate that anybody who spoke out against him would be vilified. And the issue would be identified as intolerance and "hatred" rather than the personal pain it has caused in their own lives.

Honestly, when it comes to being brave, courageous and inspirational, I would attribute those characteristics more to somebody who puts his own needs and wants aside for the sake of what's best for others than somebody who decided to live his truth no matter how it affects the people he loves.
I don't think it's so brave to go along. Being transgendered and telling people about it takes guts. People who were trans or gay used to hide it and go along and do what society and their families wanted them to do. We hear about people in these situations taking medications and electro therapy to cure what they thought was an illness. I think a person can still be brave without betraying themself or sacrificing themself.

I assume you've never walked in his shoes. Could you live as another gender so you don't "affect" someone else?

I sometimes have a tough time with things like this myself. I'm not all that young and I see a changing world. I sometimes reminisce for simpler times. But...

I read something recently about parents who have a transgender child. Their daughter identified as a boy. It was hard for them, but they read about the super high suicide/attempted suicide rates for transgender people who are not accepted by their families - almost 50%. They asked themselves if they wanted a dead daughter or a live son. Ultimately, they made the choice that would allow their child to live a life of happiness and acceptance. I'm sure Jenner's grandchildren want him alive and happy.

I assume you've never walked in his shoes. Could you live as another gender so you don't "affect" someone else?
I sometimes have a tough time with things like this myself. I'm not all that young and I see a changing world. I sometimes reminisce for simpler times. But...
I read something recently about parents who have a transgender child. Their daughter identified as a boy. It was hard for them, but they read about the super high suicide/attempted suicide rates for transgender people who are not accepted by their families - almost 50%. They asked themselves if they wanted a dead daughter or a live son. Ultimately, they made the choice that would allow their child to live a life of happiness and acceptance. I'm sure Jenner's grandchildren want him alive and happy.
No, I'm not transgendered so I certainly cannot identify with that challenge. But in many, many less dramatic ways I have put myself behind the best interests of my husband and family - it's how I purpose to live my life actually. And I'm sure you're correct about the last statement. But there's just something that strikes me as slightly tragic that the onus is now on all the people in his life to come to peace with the situation they have been thrust into after having what they thought (and had a reasonable expectation of being able to believe) was reality altered forever without their consent.

No, I'm not transgendered so I certainly cannot identify with that challenge. But in many, many less dramatic ways I have put myself behind the best interests of my husband and family - it's how I purpose to live my life actually. And I'm sure you're correct about the last statement. But there's just something that strikes me as slightly tragic that the onus is now on all the people in his life to come to peace with the situation they have been thrust into after having what they thought (and had a reasonable expectation of being able to believe) was reality altered forever without their consent.

Children are much more accepting than most adults. Intolerance is learned.

He has put everyone else needs ahead of his for 60 years. His kids are grown and his step grandchildren are young enough to adjust fairly quickly. He is far from being selfish
Respectfully submitted - is this honestly the attitude you'd have if it was your family's situation?

Respectfully submitted - is this honestly the attitude you'd have if it was your family's situation?
42 percent of transgendered people attempt suicide. Hopefully, his/her coming out will make it acceptable for others to do the same. You don't like that grandpa is now grandma? Deal with it (and littles ones handle things much better than adults).

It was just decades ago that homosexuals were expected to stay in the closet.

Now I'm going to ask you. Why would you begrudge your family member the chance to live their life as they see fit

So he should live an unhappy, dishonest life so as not to potentially confuse his grandchildren?

It's been my experience that children can be pretty accepting when they're given the chance.

I didn't mean it to be disrespectful to Bruce or anyone else. And yes I know children can be very accepting. It was my thought that I was having when I watched last night. I thought about my own kids and how they would react or what questions they would have.

I honestly thought he handled himself really well and he looked the best he's looked in a long time. I'm glad that he has come forward to tell his story instead of letting the media portray him as some freak which he isn't at all. I always thought he was way too normal to be mixed in with all of those Kardashians.

Now I'm going to ask you. Why would you begrudge your family member the chance to live their life as they see fit
I'm not going to be able to say I wouldn't feel betrayed and devastated if my husband transitioned and became a woman. It would end the marriage immediately as a direct result of that action. I am a hetero woman and I would not even consider being married to another woman. While the parent/child bond is different and insoluble, as a daughter I would be equally broken-hearted. Husband & father are roles that a woman can't fulfil. As a woman, I want and need a husband and father.

I'm not going to be able to say I wouldn't feel betrayed and devastated if my husband transitioned and became a woman. It would end the marriage immediately as a direct result of that action. I am a hetero woman and I would not even consider being married to another woman. While the parent/child bond is different and insoluble, as a daughter I would be equally broken-hearted. Husband & father are roles that a woman can't fulfil. As a woman, I want and need a husband and father.

I can respect your view. I don't agree with a lot of it though.

I was more shocked to hear Kayne was lol. He only seems to support himself LOL

That was my biggest shocker of the interview lol! That and when Bruce said he was a republican! (*Meaning no ill will toward republicans! He just seems like he has different values than your classic Republican....though I guess no one fits any mold exactly).

I think his grandchildren are probably his easiest audience. Young children (especially their age) tend to be accepting of most things, until someone tells them it's not ok. I think as long as his children remain as loving and supportive as they are stating, his grandchildren will be fine with it.

I also think your comment is very reminiscent of what people used to say about gay people once upon a time. Society has been desensitized and grown more accepting of homosexuality over the years, and I think someone like Bruce might really help make this be more accepting with society in the future.

As for me, I think it's strange what he is going through, but I don't think negatively of him after hearing his news. If anything, my respect for him has risen, that he had the guts to announce it to the world. I also think he was left with no choice to go on Diane Sawyer. Papparazi were saying such horrible things about him, people were speculating, & it was humiliating & depressing. He needed to speak out for himself, and I thin it was a very wise decision, given the overall positive support he has received.

Last edited:
Children are much more accepting than most adults. Intolerance is learned.

I can't agree with this enough. Don't force your intolerance through children and say "in front of children" or "how do I explain this to my kids" ...why not try talking to them their not stupid.

I think he was courageous for giving the interview. To live with that, especially in the public eye, must have been hard. His son said it best, that it's tragic.

I can see where people in his life would be upset but I'd hope over time they would accept him. I know if my husband told me tomorrow that he wanted to transition we would divorce. Not because I don't approve or think it's wrong, but I am just not attracted to women. I'd hope that if my husband was struggling with something like this that he would trust me enough to tell me. I'd want him to be happy and not suffer.

As for the grandkids, kids adapt pretty well. They don't know bigotry unless they're taught it. This sounds weird, but I just told my cousin the other day that I am so grateful that she and her girlfriend are active in my son's life. This way same sex couples won't even be a blip on his radar. He'll be raised thinking it is normal. (Because it is.) She did express concern about how do we address it if he asks one day. I told her all we'll tell him is that Aunt M loves Aunt E like mommy loves daddy. End of story.

I got to admit this whole thing is just to odd and weird for me ( but Im an old white guy, we seem to be the last to change) but I do feel who ever does this kind of thing should never be treated bad or discriminated against

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter