• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bring back the good o' days, Things ..........

I love this thread!!! I remember my mom teaching me to play jacks. Watching I Dream of Jeannie. We would play I Dream of Jeanie in the coat closet when we couldn't go out for recess. I was in 4th grade. I also use to sneak out of my bed and look around the corner under the ratan couch to watch Bonanza. I loved Little Joe! Remember Lost in Space, The Brady Bunch and the Patridge Family? Saturday nights were the best, we would eat popcorn and I could have one small glass of Coke, while watching HEE HAW, Laurence Welk, and I think Glen Cambell had a show for a while. It was thrilling!! Occasionally, if we had been Christmas shopping all day, we would eat a TV dinner! Oh, that was such a treat!! Remember Zots candy??? Sundays we would get up and to church wearing our best clothing. My mom would always wash my hair and use those little pink rollers. I hated sleeping on them. But, I like looking like Cindy Brady on Sunday morning. I also remember going to the butcher and getting a piece of bologna if you were good. Remember the having to keep up with the keyfor your roller skates. Loved those metal skates!! They were the best!! I could go on and on!!! Thanks for starting this thread!!! Does anyone remember Dawn Dolls????

Drive in movie theaters! Oh how I miss those. I just can't find them anymore. Wish I could take my kids for that awesome experience, but I wouldn't make them hide in the trunk to get a lower price like we did with our friends!

I love this thread!!! I remember my mom teaching me to play jacks. Watching I Dream of Jeannie. We would play I Dream of Jeanie in the coat closet when we couldn't go out for recess. I was in 4th grade. I also use to sneak out of my bed and look around the corner under the ratan couch to watch Bonanza. I loved Little Joe! Remember Lost in Space, The Brady Bunch and the Patridge Family? Saturday nights were the best, we would eat popcorn and I could have one small glass of Coke, while watching HEE HAW, Laurence Welk, and I think Glen Cambell had a show for a while. It was thrilling!! Occasionally, if we had been Christmas shopping all day, we would eat a TV dinner! Oh, that was such a treat!! Remember Zots candy??? Sundays we would get up and to church wearing our best clothing. My mom would always wash my hair and use those little pink rollers. I hated sleeping on them. But, I like looking like Cindy Brady on Sunday morning. I also remember going to the butcher and getting a piece of bologna if you were good. Remember the having to keep up with the keyfor your roller skates. Loved those metal skates!! They were the best!! I could go on and on!!! Thanks for starting this thread!!! Does anyone remember Dawn Dolls????
You just flooding me with memories of playing jacks with my mom.......And my mom still sets her hair with the pink rollers........

My mom would always wash my hair and use those little pink rollers. I hated sleeping on them. But, I like looking like Cindy Brady on Sunday morning.
Oh..... the pain of the pink rollers at night...and the thrill of having Cindy's 'boing-boing' curls the next day in pigtails!!! :flower1: And the the term 'boing-boing' -anyone remember that? It was from Ramona the Pest..... I loved those books as a kid....

I was a child from Queens, NYC in the 60's.
Stickball, wiffle ball, football, street hockey with rollerskates (Metal wheels) were all played in the streets without parent involvement.
3 box baseball, hit the stick, baseball card gambling were our sidewalk games.
To this day I don't know how we survived riding our bikes thru the traffic, sometimes with someone sitting on the monkey bars and two kids on the banana seat.

Now that I look back our parents must have been insane!

Gosh all of these things bring back such great memories!!! I do remember sitting in back yard doused in baby oil and lemon juice in my hair to lighten it. It would be like straw :cool: I think my sister and I even had a sunlamp o_O
No bike helmets, drank from garden hose, no seat belts, pay phones, no remotes. I do enjoy the modern conveniences but have to say it seemed easier in some ways when we were kids :-)

Drive in movie theaters! Oh how I miss those. I just can't find them anymore. Wish I could take my kids for that awesome experience, but I wouldn't make them hide in the trunk to get a lower price like we did with our friends!
They are still around. We have two in our area, one older one and one that's pretty new.

I remember playing on slip and slides and in small portable pools. We ate popsicles and would sometimes get treated to an Icee. We used to chase the ice cream trucks as they came through too.

The best part was riding bikes all over. No one worried so much about kids being outside back in the day.

Does anyone remember Dawn Dolls?
I do! I do! My sister and I both had one. That was a doll I actually wanted.

As for danger, we played bombardment all the time. Our school had four rooms on each side. The corner rooms had windows facing one way and the middle rooms' windows faced the other. That gave us plenty of brick wall to line up against. We just called it dodgeball.

In the summer, we would spend all day swatting flies with rolled up newspapers. We collected them on a paper plate, then gathered some of the ducks on are farm and watched the ducks scurry around eating all the flies. Other days were spent just riding bikes over our area of the county, visiting our friends to see what they were up to...no texting back then.
Summer time also meant.....Otter Pops!!!
tumblr_lnh9v3GEcA1qgi5aqo1_500.jpg

I miss being able to ride my bike in the neighborhood with friends only to be home by dinner.....no helmets, no fears of being hit in a drive by. Everyone knew everyone and watched out for each other.

I miss sitting in back of the station wagon on vacations....no seatbelts everyone giggling making faces out the car window.(without fear of a road rage rundown)..getting trucks to honk the air horns.....

Mostly I miss just being a kid and useing my imagination ...no cellphones...tablets...or video games...just fun. Hours of monopoly or catching firefly in backyard playing in clubhouse you built.

Skinned knees and bacitracin and bandaids that leave that sticky outline for weeks after it has healed....

Kool-aid stains on your lips .....I guess mostly I missed being naive and happy go lucky

just taking a stroll down memory lane with this post.... seems like yesterday....any of the girls remember having to wear a gym uniform.. we usto have to wear a one piece blue romper thing.....

Anyone have the Barbie head that you could put makeup on wipe off and start again? I didn't and really wanted one, but I could play with one at a neighbor's house. Barbie started looking kinda psycho with lipstick all over her face and bright blue eyeshadow and messed up hair.

I did have Fashion Plates. You could mix up the different flat pieces of plastic with different heads, shirts and pants/skirts to make outfits, put a sheet of paper over them and then rub a crayon over it to make different outfits. There were plaid mini skirts and long skirts and shorts and different shirts. :goodvibes

I was reading your post about Dancing programs and the name DANNY TERRIO popped into my head---Who the heck is Danny Terrio--- Can some one help me with this senior moment-- Did he have a dance show???????????
The best dance show! Solid gold

This thread is great! On another thread, we were discussing those purses with the wooden handles and you could button on different covers, printed shoe strings with a belt to match, ESPRIT, wearing two or three Swatch watches, scratch and sniff stickers, and fruit scented markers. Oh, and I loved Farmer Ted!
Bermuda bags!

just taking a stroll down memory lane with this post.... seems like yesterday....any of the girls remember having to wear a gym uniform.. we usto have to wear a one piece blue romper thing.....
We had shorts that had a band at the bottom of each leg that had a series of snaps so you could make sure no one could see up the leg :D By my senior year of HS, the snaps had given way to velcro. The shorts were paired with a white, short-sleeved blouse that snapped down the front and had a pocket. You had to embroider--yes, hand embroider--you first initial and last name on the pocket. My older sister and I had the same first initial so my blouse had my first and middle initial + last name.

You know what I miss right now? My mom's old cabinet hifi. It had a lid that opened on the top and there was an area to store your records on one side and the turntable on the other. You could put on a stack of records and they'd drop one at a time. When the stack was done playing, you just turned it over and started playing the other side. The speakers were built into the cabinet. I kind of miss those old LPs; you listened to a lot of songs that weren't necessarily your favorites but it was cool. Anyway, I still have a whole big stack of old albums and would like to play them from time to time. Mostly, they're Beatles albums & a few assorted things from the '70s, but also some musical soundtracks like The Music Man and a bunch of old Christmas albums, from Bing Crosby to John Denver.

That old hifi was an embarrassment to me when I was a teenager and everything was about components and speakers the size of a refrigerator, but I wish I had it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter