Bring back the good o' days, Things ..........

but wait! the 80's are back. Have you seen the ads lately? Hi tops and slouch boots with stirup pants are a hit.

when I look at my 12 year old .... I'm constantly saying... hey I had boots like that when I was your age...... or hey i usto were peddle pushers...... to which she'll reply " they are called capris mom".... I'm like whatever they were called peddle pushers first..................

Let's see:
Drinking well water from the garden hose - not bottled water like my kids like.

Swimming in slightly green pool water in our flimsy 12" swimming pool (wearing a bathing cap of course, so water didn't get in our ears)

Sitting on the hump in the backseat of our Chevy car. I don't know what kind of car it was - four door the color blue - I suppose the exhaust pipe was under that hump.

Falling asleep in the backseat of the car on road trips - no seat belts used then.

Dipping rhubarb in sugar and sucking the juice out of it.

Eating kool-aid icecubes

Having a lemonaid stand and not needing a parent there to protect us.

Playing outside after dark. Hide and seek in the summer (jail break) and sleigh riding in the winter.

Ahh, the good old days. I told my son we used to do this and I bought some for him to try. I had some and it was not as good as I remembered it!

Don't forget covering your double Peter Frampton album with foil so you can sit and have the sun bounce off it to give you a better tan on your face.

Just found this cereal at the grocery store the other day... and imediately thought of this thread

512jcmSinAL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

my husband was so excited when I brought it home... it was his favorite cereal when he was a kid......

1. Jelly shoes and digging the rocks out of them after recess
2. Actually reading a paper book from cover to cover
3. Going to the library on weekends to look up stuff for school and get books instead of buying themn or looking them up on the internet
4. Playing grocery store with paper boxes from the kitchen after the product was used instead of all the plastic foods sold today
5. Playing teacher with our friends and dolls and siblings
6. Slip and slide without some parent freaking out and insisting it was dangerous
7. The cops actually caught the bad guys who committed crimes
8. Transister radios that played AM/FM stations
9. Barbie McDonalds
10. All the Barbie accessories in one pack for 5 bucks-you could get a lot of stuff in one of those packs

Ok, I was a senior in high school/freshman in college for this "craze"....but the ugliest hair accessory ever made? Two words: Banana Clips!! :eek:

My sister still has hers. But she only wears them when she needs to put her hair back to take a bath or put on make up etc.

My sister still has hers. But she only wears them when she needs to put her hair back to take a bath or put on make up etc.

there are a few moms at my kids school that still wear them out in public....but the way things come bakc in style.... they will probably be "cool" again soon

This thread may be old, but it's not as old as me.
And I just have to say I ROCKED MY BANANA CLIPS!!! :rotfl2:

I have to add my personal childhood favorite memory. My dad was a contractor and he had large tool boxes mounted on both sides of his pickup. My sisters and I would sit on top of the boxes (a good 7/8 feet above the ground) and ride up there, through town, on the highway, anywhere. Dad would drive toward the low-hanging tree branches, then swerve away at the last second. :scared1: Good Fun! Oh, how my mom hated us riding up there. We were her little ladies and dad treated us "like boys." (You see how the mindset worked in the 70s? It would have been okay to drive down the highway, on top of work boxes, mounted on the sides of a truck, going 50mph, if we were boys. :rolleyes:)

I liked the old Avon lipglosses, the ones that smelled. I remember ones that looked like crayons and came in a box. They had ice cream cones, a strawberry, chocolate chip cookie, coke bottle, lips, egg and too many to remember. I wish they would bring these back as I think my children would like them. Oh and I still have the beads that you twisted and could match with other colors, don't remember the name of them. I remember having the clackers.

I miss Captain Kangaroo and 3-2-1 Contact. Those are the kind of shows I wish my kids could have watched. I went to my first concert (Bon Jovi & Skid Row) with my friends NO adults when I was 12! My daughter is 16 and there is no way I would let her go to a concert without an adult. I still have my sticker book and some of the stickers still smell since I kept it in a ziploc.

i love love love this thread :)

things i remember.. and now laugh about..

-my parents had a 24 ft round pool. if you went swimming that day.. no shower. one summer my little brother had only 3 baths LOL.. now my kids and niece and nephew do it LOL

- jelly shoes and braclets that matches. twisted to be cool. now my kids have silly bands :confused3

-turning 16 getting my license and my mom making me run her errands.

-asking my father for 2 bucks for a milkshake and then actually buying ciggerettes. YUCK NOW!! lol he got me one day. gave me four bucks told me bring him back one :laughing: he knew

-spinning on the merry go round so fast we all got sick

-popcycles for lunch in the summer :scared1:

-my fathers family is in kentucky.. i remember visiting and riding on the hood of the car. granted it was from the mailbox to the house. but the driveway was 3/4 mile long. and it was too fun..
also fireworks are legal there.. i remember watching them all summer.

-catching lighting bugs. then wondering why there were dead in the morning.

-going outside by 8 am and not coming back in til 9 pm. with a horriable sunburn to prove it

-killing the grass over and over in the summer with the slip and slide

- i remember when drinking age went to 21. and my best friends sister was upset.. cuz she could no longer drink. we were still way to young for that

Getting all crazy over my first boy band...New Kids On The Block(the first time around)

Getting to actually wear makeup

Sticker books and collecting stickers from each other at recess

Being one of the first kids in my class to get a Cabbage Patch Kid for Christmas(and I still have both of my dolls and their clothes)

Seasame Street, Mr. Rogers, Polka Dot Door, Reading Rainbow

Going to the library and checking out books from the Reading Rainbow Book Section

Getting all crazy over my first boy band...New Kids On The Block(the first time around)

Getting to actually wear makeup

Sticker books and collecting stickers from each other at recess

Being one of the first kids in my class to get a Cabbage Patch Kid for Christmas(and I still have both of my dolls and their clothes)

Seasame Street, Mr. Rogers, Polka Dot Door, Reading Rainbow

Going to the library and checking out books from the Reading Rainbow Book Section

oh yea the cabbage patch.. i remember my dad spending just about his entire paycheck to get me one.. and i didnt like it LOL
i pretended to. stripped the doll naked and its now in the attic of my folks house LOL

Just found this cereal at the grocery store the other day... and imediately thought of this thread

512jcmSinAL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

my husband was so excited when I brought it home... it was his favorite cereal when he was a kid......

OMG...this made me cry when I saw it. My BFF ( didn't call her that back then of course!) always had this cereal at her house. She was one of 7 kids and I was one of 6. Her house was a haven for me when I was little. And I always remember going over and seeing Quisp in her pantry and her mom always feeding the kids in the neighborhood. Cheese sandwiches and lemonade in dixie cups.

:rolleyes1Blue one piece gym outfits. In Jr. High, pull up/snapped, HS blue with white pinstripes and snaps at the shoulders. Ick!!

In 7th grade, being on the school committee to allow girls to wear pants to school.

Lost in Space (and when we got a color t.v. and got to watch it in color.)

The Mod Squad, favorite tv show. (And the Captain was SO old)

Going trick or treating for HOURS and having a pillow case full of candy, that mostly got thrown away.

Parades on every holiday!

Room 222, great show

Watching Jack LaLaine with my Mom (I was about 2) and doing the "exercises"

Having the windows open at night to try and cool off in my bedroom

Being afraid of breaking school rules, because the principal had a huge paddle AND used it!

Telling my Mom that the reason I had 2 absences in 2 classes and 18 in others, were because the TA's took roll and just marked the book wrong.:rotfl:

All the neighborhood kids playing together until our parents called us in.

Sleeping out in the backyard or in a tent during the summer, with friends, almost every night.

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans. There was a log.....

Romper room "And I see ....." I hated that they NEVER said my name!

12 kids in a station wagon going to "park pools" to eat peanut butter sandwhiches, drink kool-aid and swim all afternoon. Not sure what the parks actual name was as we only called it "park pools".

Getting to go to the top of Mt. Diablo on a brownie scout overnight trip and refusing to go to the bathroom, as they were so dirty.:rolleyes1

So many more!! But have to stop now!

**Being told not to take any fake tattoos from kids at school because they were laced with drugs LOL

**That store that only sold cotton separates and you put a whole outfit together with nothing but those pieces LOL Then you topped it off with Reebok high tops and twist beads

**Atari blip games

**After school specials

**Degrassi High the first series.....that I wasn't allowed to watch

**Dark Shadows

**Jelly Shoes

**Those ugly 'Jams' shorts that we all wore LOL

**Roo's shoes with the little zipper pocket

**KSwiss Shoes

**Swatches with the Swatch Guard

**Riding in the back of a pickup truck

oh oh!! road trips..
i remember traveling from va to canada.. riding in the cargo area of the stationwagon.. shoes off. and we took a marker and made little faces on our feet.
we gave puppet shows :rotfl:

that same trip.. i left my favorite pillow at a hotel .. and i cried about it. eventually i fell sleep and woke up in nigura falls

Well my slip an slide was getting a running start an sliding down the hill with the dew still on the grass.

Sledding in the winter....if weather man predicted snow n we did not get it my brothers an other neighbor kids carried buckets of water from neighbors pond poured down the big hill we used for sledding an made our own ice. Our sled was an old car hood off an 1950 buick huge thing the whole neighborhood could ride at one time of course it took all of us to pull it back up the hill too.

swinging on grapevines out over cliffs, taking bolongna an mayo to the woods with us to eat for lunch no cooler we lived to tell about it.

Parents wondering why dogs barked all night when my brothers an I was campin out in neighbors corn field to keep coons out of the corn....could it be because we was walking down to the fire tower about half mile from house.....we wasn't walking on road where we could be seen but the dogs heard us...

Swinging from top rail of fire tower.... only at night so we could not be seen doing it.

Climbing up the outside rails of fire tower instead of the steps again only at night.

Sittin out on front porch or even better going down to fire tower an climbing to the top to watch the 4th of July Fireworks. We could see fireworks 5 or 6 different places across the ohio river that was 6 miles away.

Walking to the river (ohio) once again 6 miles away old dead end road that was closed an so over grown you really could not tell that it had been a road easy walk down the hill going back up was a challenge .

Calling the neighbors dog when we spotted a copperhead....Snooky always came running to the rescue an killed the copperhead.

Our TV only had 2 channels because we had no UHF and it was black an white.

We did not have dail phones only the crank on the wall wait at my house we did not even have that for many yrs.

We could not play in water unless we went to neighbors pond...we had a cistern an had to buy water when we did not get enough rain so water was conserved at my house an all the neighbors had a cistern too. At least we did have indoor plumbing lot of my friends did not.

Being left at home all day while parents worked I was 4 an brothers was 9 an 10 we had no phone for parents to call an check in on us. Not just 1 day but all summer.

We did not go to dr with every cold or illness we caught....to go to dr you was either very very sick or badly hurt....I still have bump on thigh brom where I cracked a thigh bone an did not go get it taken care of. Brother was taken to dr when he almost cut arm off at the inside of elbow an needed sitiches I think that was the only time any of us went to dr cause we was hurt....wait my other brother did cut off end of his finger an was taken to hospital.

:lmao:

The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet. We didn't even have back seats. Ahhh, I can remember sitting in the...not kidding...bean bag chair in the back, reading a book, or wrestling with my brother and getting carpet burn. And that lovely heated or mildewy shag carpet smell in the summers.

I also remember sitting in my granfather's lap steering his truck.

Going to the mall and six flags with my friends when I was 11...without parents.

How about the glory days of eating raw cookie dough? Oh the dangerous lives we led!!

We had a van like that with little tear drop windows on the rear sides. One of my fondest memories is surfing in the back of the van listening to 8 tracks. :rotfl:

I guess this makes me a bad mother but my kids still eat cookie dough and lick the bowl from brownies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!