BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I have WL CL booked starting December 6th. I read on the DIS about someone receiving a 30% discount. I haven't received any mail telling me about construction. First call was to reservations that told
Me I would need to talk to guest services and they were closed. I called the next day and the CM transferred me to guest services. She put me on hold and then transferred me to someone that deals with the offers for the construction. I told them what I had heard about the 30% off. She said they hadn't even sent out the notice to guest services yet about offers for this and couldn't understand how anyone got this discount. Anyway she said the 30% was not the offer bring given but that since this is what I heard they would honor this one time
for me. So we now have CL at 30% off.

Are you booked through the "Magical" agency? I am having problems with them addressing this and they are saying that Disney is not willing to do anything right now. I am not very happy... this is my first time using a TA and will probably be my last.:mad: By the way if you are booked through a TA, Disney won't even talk to you.

With your deal, you're already getting money off the room. That's why they can't do anything more for you!

Many folks already getting the magical rate are getting a better rate than the folks being offered a resort room credit. for those unhappy with the magical rate....then you may want to recheck the math and see if you are still getting a better rate than most folks on this board. I think you probably are ;). The ta's cannot offer any resort room credit....that is up to the resorts. If you are already heavily discounted....disney is unlikely to do anything else. You always have the option of changing resorts to another resort offered within the magical rate offerings. I know we have done that before during the polynesian construction. we decided the construction wasn't worth the risk and our ta switched us to a great rate at the beach club instead. I wouldn't blame your ta....they got you a great rate in the first place!

My family had a studio villa booked for 7 nights starting October 24th. I rented points. Was not expecting anything because I thought I was locked in. I received a call from disney guest services yesterday....to my surprise they wanted to do everything to make sure we r happy w our vacation. They switched us to bay lake tower lake view rm. no upgrade fee. My main concern was that I have 3 kids under 6 and we spend a lot of time at Mk. Sad we r not staying at WL anymore but we will hopefully in the future, once construction is over. Disney was awesome in accommodating us:)

While this seems good for you, I would really talk to the owner you're renting from. This doesn't make any sense from several standpoints. Ultimately, this "upgrade" isn't costing YOU anything from Disney (of course not, this is a points stay) but they may take extra points from the owner's account for the BLT rooms. I've seen reports of stuff like this happening before with renters, where the renter isn't charged anything for an upgrade, but then the owner is hit with it in their points account.

Are you booked through the "Magical" agency? I am having problems with them addressing this and they are saying that Disney is not willing to do anything right now. I am not very happy... this is my first time using a TA and will probably be my last.:mad: By the way if you are booked through a TA, Disney won't even talk to you.

That's because you are already getting a discount that is far deeper than what is being offered to those who booked at rack rate. Check your math. Would you rather have the "magical" deal or $100 off rack rate? Even 35% off rack rate won't beat what the agency is offering you. I don't get these complaints at all! If you think construction will affect your trip, switch resorts!

With your deal, you're already getting money off the room. That's why they can't do anything more for you!

Many folks already getting the magical rate are getting a better rate than the folks being offered a resort room credit. for those unhappy with the magical rate....then you may want to recheck the math and see if you are still getting a better rate than most folks on this board. I think you probably are ;). The ta's cannot offer any resort room credit....that is up to the resorts. If you are already heavily discounted....disney is unlikely to do anything else. You always have the option of changing resorts to another resort offered within the magical rate offerings. I know we have done that before during the polynesian construction. we decided the construction wasn't worth the risk and our ta switched us to a great rate at the beach club instead. I wouldn't blame your ta....they got you a great rate in the first place!

That's because you are already getting a discount that is far deeper than what is being offered to those who booked at rack rate. Check your math. Would you rather have the "magical" deal or $100 off rack rate? Even 35% off rack rate won't beat what the agency is offering you. I don't get these complaints at all! If you think construction will affect your trip, switch resorts!

I understand what you all are saying but you are assuming that everyone is paying rack. What about pin codes? Everyone is obviously not booked at rack rate. I went two years ago at the same time of year, same number of days, tickets and people staying at the WL but I had a pin code and I am paying near the same rate, a few hundred more this time so I don't think I am getting anything above and beyond. But, this time there will be construction, and many amenities that we will not have available.

By the way, I should say that I don't blame my TA, I think my frustration comes from not being in control of the situation and being able to call Disney myself etc... My TA has been very nice.

While this seems good for you, I would really talk to the owner you're renting from. This doesn't make any sense from several standpoints. Ultimately, this "upgrade" isn't costing YOU anything from Disney (of course not, this is a points stay) but they may take extra points from the owner's account for the BLT rooms. I've seen reports of stuff like this happening before with renters, where the renter isn't charged anything for an upgrade, but then the owner is hit with it in their points account.
Thanks, I will contact the company I rented the points through. Just so there are no surprises later.

I'm sure there is a rare exception to the discount beating a magical rate.... But it's rare;). We have been through this for the last couple years with the Poly, Disney can't comp everyone for construction. Especially in advance of travel for inconveniences folks dont even know that may be an issue. And really when they are already getting a significant discount on the room?? Sounds like someone asking too much to me. If it's going to be an issue.... Then change resorts. You have been given plenty of notice. That's the fair thing to do for your family and the resort.

I'm sure there is a rare exception to the discount beating a magical rate.... But it's rare;). We have been through this for the last couple years with the Poly, Disney can't comp everyone for construction. Especially in advance of travel for inconveniences folks dont even know that may be an issue. And really when they are already getting a significant discount on the room?? Sounds like someone asking too much to me. If it's going to be an issue.... Then change resorts. You have been given plenty of notice. That's the fair thing to do for your family and the resort.

This is truly not about a discount or money but being happy with the resort as I may be getting a discount on the room but I did not know of the construction when I booked early this year. My main frustration as I did post before was the TA and addressing the situation. You stated that I have been given plenty of notice when in fact I wasn't given any information, I found it myself. I contacted the TA addressing it and he responded with Disney is not doing anything at the moment which I knew they were. He did not initially offer to move me but to wait it out. I know if I wait it out the availability will most likely not be any where desirable. As I stated this was my first time booking with a TA, I did not know I would be getting into something then feeling like I have no control, when we booked we had no idea something like this would be happening. I don't feel like I am asking for to much, just options. I am trying to be proactive to make sure my family has a great vacation whether that is at the WL or another resort. I use these boards to fact find and get information not see how I can get over on something. I will work with my TA to make the best decision. Again, I am new to the whole TA thing but not to Disney so I am learning as we go.

We are DVC members staying at the Lodge from Oct 30th through Nov 7... got a call today and they switched our reservation to BLT with a lake view..... We have always wanted to stay there... so free "upgrade" for us...

This is truly not about a discount or money but being happy with the resort as I may be getting a discount on the room but I did not know of the construction when I booked early this year. My main frustration as I did post before was the TA and addressing the situation. You stated that I have been given plenty of notice when in fact I wasn't given any information, I found it myself. I contacted the TA addressing it and he responded with Disney is not doing anything at the moment which I knew they were. He did not initially offer to move me but to wait it out. I know if I wait it out the availability will most likely not be any where desirable. As I stated this was my first time booking with a TA, I did not know I would be getting into something then feeling like I have no control, when we booked we had no idea something like this would be happening. I don't feel like I am asking for to much, just options. I am trying to be proactive to make sure my family has a great vacation whether that is at the WL or another resort. I use these boards to fact find and get information not see how I can get over on something. I will work with my TA to make the best decision. Again, I am new to the whole TA thing but not to Disney so I am learning as we go.

What your TA told you is correct. Disney isn't doing anything for WL rooms that were booked through group sales (which is what the "magical" deals are booked through) because the rates are already deeply discounted - yes, more so than even a pin code. Basically, when looking on these boards to see what "others" are getting, you are comparing apples to oranges. You booked at a deeply discounted group rate, everyone else booked at the consumer rate (whether they booked rack or with a pin code). My advice, if you think the construction will impact you, move resorts now. If it isn't about money and it's about your family's enjoyment, why look for a deeper discount or credit? Will a $100 credit really solve a construction noise problem? We've avoided Poly for the past two years for the very same reasons. No amount of money off was enough for me to risk my vacation investment. I had no idea what we would be getting into and wouldn't know until we were actually there - not worth the risk for me. We've been staying at all the other deluxes since Poly went into their construction phase. When it's done, we'll be back!

What your TA told you is correct. Disney isn't doing anything for WL rooms that were booked through group sales (which is what the "magical" deals are booked through) because the rates are already deeply discounted - yes, more so than even a pin code. Basically, when looking on these boards to see what "others" are getting, you are comparing apples to oranges. You booked at a deeply discounted group rate, everyone else booked at the consumer rate (whether they booked rack or with a pin code). My advice, if you think the construction will impact you, move resorts now. If it isn't about money and it's about your family's enjoyment, why look for a deeper discount or credit? Will a $100 credit really solve a construction noise problem? We've avoided Poly for the past two years for the very same reasons. No amount of money off was enough for me to risk my vacation investment. I had no idea what we would be getting into and wouldn't know until we were actually there - not worth the risk for me. We've been staying at all the other deluxes since Poly went into their construction phase. When it's done, we'll be back!
Thank you for this explanation. I have wondered what the magical deal stuff really was and group sales makes sense. FWIW, I am a FD/rack rate person who took the $100/night/room and so I qualify for the "not as discounted" group you mentioned. I also agree with moving to another resort which is what we did last year because the main pool rehab was a dealbreaker for us. This time, we are okay with what we have. Others who got the 30% were rack rate as I recall but not with FD. But this argument happened last year too with the main pool rehab. As I have said before, I hope everyone finds a solution to satisfy them and keep their vacation magical.

My family had a studio villa booked for 7 nights starting October 24th. I rented points. Was not expecting anything because I thought I was locked in. I received a call from disney guest services yesterday....to my surprise they wanted to do everything to make sure we r happy w our vacation. They switched us to bay lake tower lake view rm. no upgrade fee. My main concern was that I have 3 kids under 6 and we spend a lot of time at Mk. Sad we r not staying at WL anymore but we will hopefully in the future, once construction is over. Disney was awesome in accommodating us:)

We are DVC members staying at the Lodge from Oct 30th through Nov 7... got a call today and they switched our reservation to BLT with a lake view..... We have always wanted to stay there... so free "upgrade" for us...

Did either of you contact guest services first (either by email or phone) to initiate them reaching out to you or did they just contact you first? I'm just wondering if it's possible I'll get a call. As much as I love BLT, I don't know if I'd switch to a studio there if they offered it (which is what we have VWL) because I've read that it's an odd layout and seems smaller than other studios. Also, another reason we rented a studio at VWL is for the extra pull-down bed (not that that's 100% necessary since my 12 year recently realized that his little brother isn't as squirmy as he once was). Probably pointless to ponder since I doubt I'll get a call.

Did either of you contact guest services first (either by email or phone) to initiate them reaching out to you or did they just contact you first? I'm just wondering if it's possible I'll get a call. As much as I love BLT, I don't know if I'd switch to a studio there if they offered it (which is what we have VWL) because I've read that it's an odd layout and seems smaller than other studios. Also, another reason we rented a studio at VWL is for the extra pull-down bed (not that that's 100% necessary since my 12 year recently realized that his little brother isn't as squirmy as he once was). Probably pointless to ponder since I doubt I'll get a call.
I didn't contact anyone. I figured I was stuck due to renting the points. So when they called I was shocked. My daughter is a little disappointed, she was looking forward to sleeping w Bambi. She perked up once I told her about the monorail. Couldn't hurt to call and ask. They were very willing to accomodate us.

@Starwind received this email from Disney Destinations in regards to their December room-only booking:

July 2015

Dear ------ Family,

Welcome Home!

We are excited you have chosen Disney’s Wilderness Lodge as your vacation destination and look forward to sharing the magic of the Pacific Northwest with you.

As you may be aware, refurbishment work will be taking place at our Resort during your visit. In preparation for your upcoming stay, please note the details of that work below:

• Upon your arrival, you will notice construction work in various areas as we enhance our Resort. Please be aware that certain pathways, including the nature trail, will be unavailable. Noise may be overheard while this work is being completed, but rest assured, construction will not begin until after 9:00am.

• Hidden Springs Pool, the leisure pool at The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, is scheduled to close for enhancement in late October along with the beach, marina and playground. During this time, our recently-renovated Silver Creek Springs Pool, featuring a 67-foot waterslide and a water play area for kids, will remain open for your use.

Please know that your comfort and enjoyment are our top priority. While the amenities listed above will be unavailable, we are making every effort to ensure your visit is comfortable and magical by offering alternative opportunities to you. During your stay, we will host a nightly movie indoors and bike rentals will be available for rent near the jogging trail. You are also invited to visit Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground or Disney’s Contemporary Resort for additional recreation activities including boat rentals, playgrounds, evening campfires and Movies Under the Stars.

We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate your patience. Should you need assistance with your reservation or have general questions, please call one of our Cast Members who will be happy to assist you.

• If you booked your stay through Walt Disney World® Resort or have general questions, please call 407-###-#### between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm (EST) Monday through Friday or 10:00am-5:00pm (EST) Saturday and Sunday.

• If you booked your stay through Disney Vacation Club®, please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services at 800-###-#### or 407-###-#### between the hours of 9:00am-7:30pm (EST) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-5:30pm (EST) Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you for being our Guest. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sincerely,
<signature>

Jose A. Mola
General Manager of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Reservation #: ############
Arrival Date: December ##, 2015

I didn't contact anyone. I figured I was stuck due to renting the points. So when they called I was shocked. My daughter is a little disappointed, she was looking forward to sleeping w Bambi. She perked up once I told her about the monorail. Couldn't hurt to call and ask. They were very willing to accomodate us.

Thanks for the response. That is so odd that they'd initiate the call. I think they must really be expecting some disruption on the VWL side to do that. I wonder if they're calling guests in order of arrival date since your arrival date is 10/24 and the other poster's is 10/30. I arrive 11/21, so it will be interesting to see if I get a call in the next couple of weeks. I guess I need to think about what I'd do if I was offered something else...

Interesting that they are switching DVC members. There has not been much DVC availability for the fall (it is a really busy time) so it is surprising they are calling to offer moves - do they have that much inventory held back to do such a thing. I wonder if they did hold back inventory at other resorts knowing this was coming?

Any part of the VWL that overlooks the pool is going to have a pretty rough view and some serious construction noise I would guess. Maybe they are trying to relocate 1/2 of the VWL guests (those that would have to overlook the construction area) during this time?

Wow! Thanks so much @WDWKOOK for getting all this information together! We'll be staying at WL the first week of December. No plans to change but I may take the discount if I can :rolleyes1
You're welcome and I would definitely take that discount:thumbsup2

This is very interesting and not something I would have thought would happen since you rented points. I would have thought only the owner would be contacted. Thank you for posting your unexpected experience.

I also thought it was odd. First someone called yesterday and offered me key west, which I didn't want. Then I mentioned I rented points. The guy put me on hold mentioned it was some sort of guest service team working on it. He then came back and offered me beach club. I was considering it so he told me to talk to my husband he wanted the whole family to be happy w the vacation. He gave me a phone # to call back, but when I called back I had to leave a message cuz it said they closed at 7. This morning a dif girl called me back and I said I really didn't want bc cuz we spend 3 days at Mk. She put me on hold and came back said I lucked out something just opened up for Bly lake view. First thing I said is it going to cost me more? She said no. It's already changed on my disney experience page. I was very shocked! But happy.

Interesting that they seemed to not know you didn't "own" the reservation, but they still wanted to work with you and make this right for you. Bay Lake Tower is wonderful.

I hope this means that they are going to start working on helping out us poor DVCers now ;0!

It's absolutely worth giving them a call - or two;)

I'm booked with them, too and it's also my very first use of a TA. I couldn't pass up 55% off rack rate! They purchase blocks of rooms at a group rate so they actually "own" the rooms, but bookings fall under Disney cancelation rules.

You're going to love BLT. The OUTER LV villas have great Bay Lake views;)

That's correct. The agency buys up blocks of rooms through "Disney Group Sales" and resells them, so they actually "own" the rooms, which means they run the risk of holding potentially un-booked rooms.

Hmm, I know you're probably getting a really great rate with the WL with this TA, but if I decided I wasn't comfortable staying there now, I probably would cancel the TA reservation and try to get something else myself directly with Disney. But that's just me and how I would feel. And you may be comfortable with waiting it out and staying there, I don't know. I hope you come to a decision that you feel comfortable with, that's the most important thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter