• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

Argh! Need some help deciding. We are a family of 4 and we will only stay in condos - the extra space is a big part of what makes our trips peaceful and enjoyable. We are planning a trip for Thanksgiving week 2016. Some friends of ours graciously offered to sell us their DVC points for next year for an amazing price. I've always wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge, so staying at the Villas is my dream scenario... but I realize now that it might not be that great, if construction is a problem. Our other option would be an off-site condo - more space, about the same price, but not Disney, can't book ADRs and FPs early, etc. We will definitely do one non-park, "hang out at the resort" day, and we will likely come back to the resort for some afternoon rest time on our MK days.

So.... what would you do? Take the risk that the construction won't be problematic enough to negatively affect our trip? Or continue with our off-site plans that will give us more space and cost slightly less?

Personally, I would never stay off site mainly for the extra perks you'll receive as a Disney guest. There will be EMH's probably daily and they were a life saver for us. (#9 in line for Anna & Elsa after MK EMH.) There are numerous "quiet spots" in the main Lodge if construction noise bothers you at the Villas. No, it won't be a "perfect vacation" but I'd gladly trade a little bit of noise for the Disney guest perks. Our plans also included afternoon trips back to the Lodge for rest and exploring; that never happened. :goodvibes WAY to much to see & do during the Holidays at Disney. Two of those "rest periods" included visits to various resorts for the Christmas decorations and that was just as relaxing as a couple hours at the Lodge. Boardwalk in the afternoon defiantly served that purpose. My best "relaxing period"; quiet time on the Boardwalk with a beautiful November day and a boat ride back to Epcot or HS. I love WL and if you've never stayed at the Villas I would take your friends up on that offer before they change their minds. :rotfl: Just know, if you do, that there will it will not be "perfect". :tink:

Argh! Need some help deciding. We are a family of 4 and we will only stay in condos - the extra space is a big part of what makes our trips peaceful and enjoyable. We are planning a trip for Thanksgiving week 2016. Some friends of ours graciously offered to sell us their DVC points for next year for an amazing price. I've always wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge, so staying at the Villas is my dream scenario... but I realize now that it might not be that great, if construction is a problem. Our other option would be an off-site condo - more space, about the same price, but not Disney, can't book ADRs and FPs early, etc. We will definitely do one non-park, "hang out at the resort" day, and we will likely come back to the resort for some afternoon rest time on our MK days.

So.... what would you do? Take the risk that the construction won't be problematic enough to negatively affect our trip? Or continue with our off-site plans that will give us more space and cost slightly less?
If you want the space of a condo and still be in Disney, then you could take a look at OKW. The villas are huge and a great value.

WL is beautiful, especially at Christmas. If you plan to spend your whole day at the parks, then VWL might work out fine for you. The construction only goes on during the day and I think they only work Monday through Friday.

Just a quick question would you stay there next Dec on the club level or at the tower at the CR club level ? Would there be much noise need to know so I ca cancel and rebook. Husband and I don't like hearing noise lol. Just wondering TIA

Just a quick question would you stay there next Dec on the club level or at the tower at the CR club level ? Would there be much noise need to know so I ca cancel and rebook. Husband and I don't like hearing noise lol. Just wondering TIA

Unfortunately, there's no way to know where the project will be in a year. So really no way to answer the noise question.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know where the project will be in a year. So really no way to answer the noise question.

Thanks that what I was thinking . But husband thought he would have a lower cost . The only way I would go with the WL is the honey moon room if they have that at 40% off I would switch would be if they have the honeymoon room only lol

Last edited:

I called last night and they didn't have the time and room so I guess we'll stay with the contemporary thanks again

Just got back Thursday. Stayed in 1 bedroom #4530. Only saw the construction by going to an end of hall window at VWL and looking out the back. Didn't hear any noise... but didn't see any workers when I looked. It was in the 80s so visited the main pool. I've always wanted to stay there in December and it was truly lovely with the decorations and softly playing music. The bus location right outside the villas was so convenient. We actually did have some construction noise Wed just after lunch when we'd gone back to rest... they were tearing up some tile in the villa right above us. Luckily it only lasted half an hour.

Thank you for posting about your experience.

I called last night and they didn't have the time and room so I guess we'll stay with the contemporary thanks again

At least you're still on Bay Lake;). See you on the CR/BLT thread.

We took the $100 off our room, but at the time they did not list the south elevators and rooms being down when we're there. DH is pretty ticked as the elevator that's running will likely take much longer to board since everyone will be using the same one. We were ever offered the FP's. Wish I'd been given the option and also had full disclosure on room/elevator closings.

We took the $100 off our room, but at the time they did not list the south elevators and rooms being down when we're there. DH is pretty ticked as the elevator that's running will likely take much longer to board since everyone will be using the same one. We were ever offered the FP's. Wish I'd been given the option and also had full disclosure on room/elevator closings.
I'm not familiar with the entire layout of the lodge having only stayed at the Villas and only visited the common areas. Perhaps you could request a ground floor or something near the lobby? If there is an issue when you arrive, they will work very hard to make it right. If you want to move, they will help you with that too. Maybe give a call prior to your visit and see what your options are. Make sure to request Guest Services when calling because no one else can really help except GS. Disney really does work hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay.

Orlando Parks News reports:

As previously reported, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is undergoing numerous refurbishment projects in an effort to enhance and refresh the Guest experience.

Beginning in January 2016, select areas of the resort will be temporarily closed due to the refurbishment, including the rooms in the south wing (unavailable starting from January 1), Cub’s Den (unavailable starting from Jan. 2), and the South Wing and Lobby Elevators (unavailable beginning from January 5).

Effective January 5, all Guests will be directed to use the elevators located near Roaring Fork Snacks, or take the stairs in the north wing. These will be the only elevators available in our main building.
To get to these elevators from the lobby, Guests must:

• Take the ramp down toward Roaring Fork Snacks;
  • Turn left at the bottom of the ramp;
  • Continue walking. Elevator bank is located on the left hand side at the end of the corridor.

Last edited:
Effective January 5, all Guests will be directed to use the elevators located near Roaring Fork Snacks, or take the stairs in the north wing. These will be the only elevators available in our main building. To get to these elevators from the lobby, Guests must:
  • Take the ramp down toward Roaring Fork Snacks;
  • Turn left at the bottom of the ramp;
  • Continue walking. Elevator bank is located on the left hand side at the end of the corridor.
Wow - that's pretty inconvenient if you are in the North Wing.

I'm not familiar with the facility, but am staying in a DVC unit in a month. How are these latest changes impacting that area?

I'm not familiar with the facility, but am staying in a DVC unit in a month. How are these latest changes impacting that area?

DVC units are really a different building. The elevator closures mentioned above will not impact you.

Since the South wing rooms are being taken out of rotation, it makes sense those elevators will be closed.

However, I wonder why the lobby elevators will also be closed.

Will be interesting to hear from those that will be staying there over the next 6 months or so. We are booked for December, so hopefully the elevators in the lobby will be back up by then but who knows. Since the South wing rooms are out, any idea how much capacity reduction this will be? 30%?

Since the South wing rooms are being taken out of rotation, it makes sense those elevators will be closed.

However, I wonder why the lobby elevators will also be closed.

I agree. The lobby elevators aren't really in the south wing. They are at the end of the south wing. I hope the news story is wrong about the elevators because we will be at the WL in just six days and having them closed will be very inconvenient. :(

I agree. The lobby elevators aren't really in the south wing. They are at the end of the south wing. I hope the news story is wrong about the elevators because we will be at the WL in just six days and having them closed will be very inconvenient. :(

Will be looking forward to your report.

Oh boy. We will be there at the end of the month. No (well, basically no) elevator should be fun with a double stroller. I'll tell DH to start practiceing carrying it up and down stairs now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter