BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I haven't gotten a letter yet lol. Is it only if booked with a package? Or TA deal? Not room only. Not expecting it. But $100 off a night is awesome. Staying 11/15-11/17

We booked RO and received our letter last week. We already had the $100/night discount. When AP discounts came out this week, I called and had it applied without a problem and got to keep the $100/night discount. I was moved from a standard view room to a woods view bunkbed room for no price increase. I'm pretty darn happy with that!

We are booked Nov/Dec for 8 nights. Our wonderful TA called today and was able to get us $700 off. She was advised that they will discount $100 a night up to $700 max. We didn't really want to switch hotels as we've been wanting to try WL for years. With that discount I can deal with the renovations. They assured us that the boat to MK will not be affected. We are in a woods view bunk and that area will not be under construction during our stay. Counting down the days.....

Assuming that the Wilderness Lodge expansion is DVC (and that seems a safe assumption), the April 2017 date appears reasonable when compared to the timeline for the similar expansion at the Polynesian.

Here are some of the dates we've seen so far:

05/16/2015 - Permits and Plans filed with SFWMD
07/10/2105 - Disney begins to advise guests of impacts starting Oct 26
07/11/2015 - Disney begins to accommodate WL/VWL guest concerns
10/26/2015 - Construction starts

For comparison purposes, below are the timelines for VGF and PVB. I think the timeline will be very similar to PVB.

Villas at the Grand Floridian

03/08/2011 - Permits filed with the South Florida Water Management District for land between GF and wedding pavilion
06/30/2011 - Revised permit filed with SFWMD
07/11/2011 - Construction walls begin to go up
08/02/2010 - Disney files a notice of commencement with the Orange County Comptroller
09/07/2011 - Drawing of proposed VGF building is leaked
12/08/2011 - DVC officially announces VGF
01/30/2013 - Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation approves license for VGF
03/28/2013 - DVD files Master Declaration and Condo Related documents with Orange County Comptroller
04/01/2013 - VGF Master Declaration and related documents recorded at OCC.
05/20/2013 - DVC makes Facebook announcement that VGF sales will commence on May 23, 2013.
05/20/2013 - Members can begin buying points immediately. Non-members can start buying VGF on June 19, 2013. Point charts also released today.
05/23/2013 - VGF booking via MS and online begins.
05/23/2013 - VGF model opens at the DVC Preview Center at SSR.
10/23/2013 - VGF opens

Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

06/28/2013 - Permits and plans filed for bungalows with the South Florida Water Management District
09/17/2013 - DVC officially announces PVB
09/23/2013 - construction fences begin to go up along the beach
12/03/2013 - Permits filed to construct the bungalows and convert longhouses to DVC
06/19/2014 - Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation approves license for PVB
12/11/2014 - Disney releases concept art of bungalows and studios
01/07/2015 - Disney files Master Declaration with Orange County Comptroller
01/08/2015 - Point charts, floorpans and prices leaked on MO
01/12/2015 - PVB sales start (existing members)
02/09/2015 - General sales to the public begin
02/11/2015 - Existing members can begin making reservations
04/01/2015 - PVB officially opens

Scope of the work

http://i235.*************************************VWL/VWLPreOverlay_zps60urgsfj.jpg

http://i235.*************************************VWL/VWLOverlay_zpsuxxwdeky.jpg

Thank you - great work on the timelines, Mike! I'm going to add those to the first page.

Did they say how long the panting is going to go? We were told there would be no work going on at the main building during our visit (November) and that's the only reason we agreed to stay. If there is going to be work going on in the main building I'll probably have them switch our resort.

Thanks for the typo chuckle:). When it first started, the prediction was that the scaffolding might be up through the end of the year. But, I haven't gotten an update recently on this.

This thread is still going strong!

You've been a great contributor, Mike. So have all the posters who've helped others figure out what their options are in making their WL/VWL bookings work best for them given the situation.

Hi,

I am thinking of coming back to WDW in early Dec 2015 ( last time I was in WDW was 2011 but stayed at WL and loved it) I would love to stay again but slightly worried sabout the construction. I was planning on Club Level ( other hotels with club rooms available for Sat 28th nov to Thrs 3rd Dec are AKL ( same price) , GF ( $100 more per night) and the Poly is $300 more per night). The christmas decorations look amazing at the WL and given I will be at the parks ( mostly WDW and Epcot ) most of the day I will probably choose the WL.

Regards

TBS

Has anyone had the fall discount added to the $100 off and free dining at WL during construction? I thought I read somewhere someone had, but I can't find it now. thanks

Has anyone had the fall discount added to the $100 off and free dining at WL during construction? I thought I read somewhere someone had, but I can't find it now. thanks

I thought that having a fall discount and Free DP wouldn't be allowed since discounts like that are one or the other? The $100 off doesn't count with that though.

I just got off the phone with DVC membership. I asked about possibly switching resorts. They offered Saratoga and Animal Kingdom. I declined. She said that she could offer $100 per night credit to us. So they are offering the credit to DVC members that choose to stay.

hill6 when are you going? we are booked for April and wondering if and when they offer us a move

I called them today. The cast member reassured me that, with a courtyard view, the construction shouldn't be much of an issue. They did offer to move me to the AKL (savannah view), the YC, BC, or the BW. No discount though.

I am a bit confused by the construction. We have never stayed at WL before. We are planning on staying in a Deluxe Club Level Room at the end of May 2016. It is my understanding that the pool that is closed is not the main pool but the playground will be closed. Is that correct? We will be traveling with two 3 year olds. Would you keep our stay or move? I was really looking forward to WL and the Club level at the WL. If we move, we would probably move to a Club Level Boardwalk Deluxe room. Anyone have any thoughts?

I am a bit confused by the construction. We have never stayed at WL before. We are planning on staying in a Deluxe Club Level Room at the end of May 2016. It is my understanding that the pool that is closed is not the main pool but the playground will be closed. Is that correct? We will be traveling with two 3 year olds. Would you keep our stay or move? I was really looking forward to WL and the Club level at the WL. If we move, we would probably move to a Club Level Boardwalk Deluxe room. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have stayed at WL maybe nine times, and stayed in main lodge half of those trips. Own DVC the other half. The club level should isolate you from any construction issues. The pool that is closed is the DVC "quiet" pool. Your three year olds will love the newly renovated main feature pool. There is children's play area with water falls, splash pool n slides. They will be thrilled with the boat ride over to the castle. You will enjoy your trip immensely. I am quite sure of that. I advise you to keep your reservation. Are you planning to use the magical Disney express bus from the airport? Kids love experience as well. Enjoy.

It's my first time for my whole family (I have three kids) going to WDW. We booked a villa at Wilderness Lodge through RCI to "try before we buy" into DVC. When we booked it, we had no idea there would be construction going on. After we booked there was a small note about the pool being out of commission, but not until recently have I seen the actual scope of work posted online.
I'm really worried because my youngest will be 2 (we're going in January), and she still needs afternoon naps, not to mention the lack of access to a large number of amenities.

Disney won't help us because they say we have to switch resorts through RCI. RCI can't help us because they can only offer us what inventory Disney gives them, which is severely limited. They said if we get anything, it would be Saratoga Springs and highly unlikely to get any other resort.

Our flights are already booked, so we have zero flexibility on dates. I've been losing sleep over this. I don't want our first big vacation there to be a complete bust after flying 6 hours to get there and spending thousands of dollars.

It's my first time for my whole family (I have three kids) going to WDW. We booked a villa at Wilderness Lodge through RCI to "try before we buy" into DVC. When we booked it, we had no idea there would be construction going on. After we booked there was a small note about the pool being out of commission, but not until recently have I seen the actual scope of work posted online.
I'm really worried because my youngest will be 2 (we're going in January), and she still needs afternoon naps, not to mention the lack of access to a large number of amenities.

Disney won't help us because they say we have to switch resorts through RCI. RCI can't help us because they can only offer us what inventory Disney gives them, which is severely limited. They said if we get anything, it would be Saratoga Springs and highly unlikely to get any other resort.

Our flights are already booked, so we have zero flexibility on dates. I've been losing sleep over this. I don't want our first big vacation there to be a complete bust after flying 6 hours to get there and spending thousands of dollars.

You don't mention when your trip is. From what I know, most of the major noise will be early on in the construction, Oct - Jan, assuming no delays.

You don't mention when your trip is. From what I know, most of the major noise will be early on in the construction, Oct - Jan, assuming no delays.

Our trip is January 16 to 23, so I'm pretty sure we'll be in the thick of it.

I would try not to worry too much although it's easier said than done. Disney typically does a fantastic job at " camouflaging " their construction and I'm sure with all that is scheduled to go on at WL the cast members there will be fantastic at making sure all the guests are happy with room and villa assignments. You can always mention that you have two little ones that will need some quiet time when you check in and they will do their best to assign you a villa that might be best. Try to take any work going on that you do see with a grain of salt and try to focus more on the great parts of the resort, and the rest of your Disney vacation. There are still a lot of great things to be seen and done at WL despite the construction. :flower:
Enjoy your vacation!

I would try not to worry too much although it's easier said than done. Disney typically does a fantastic job at " camouflaging " their construction and I'm sure with all that is scheduled to go on at WL the cast members there will be fantastic at making sure all the guests are happy with room and villa assignments. You can always mention that you have two little ones that will need some quiet time when you check in and they will do their best to assign you a villa that might be best. Try to take any work going on that you do see with a grain of salt and try to focus more on the great parts of the resort, and the rest of your Disney vacation. There are still a lot of great things to be seen and done at WL despite the construction. :flower:
Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you so much! That's what I really needed to hear.

I love Disney and I was really hoping to use this vacation to convince my husband to agree to buying into DVC, so that's why I really wanted the best experience possible. I can live with construction, I'm more worried about him and the kids.
The lodge looks really beautiful, so I'm hoping everything will work out. I love the proximity to the Magic Kingdom, so it's hard to imagine going to Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter