Bottle sterilizing

I didn't use bottles much, but I used the Medela bags to sterilize my pump parts after I pumped at work. They were wonderful!

If you are flying......take an ordinary sponge, get it good and wet, wring it out, super-saturate it with your favorite dish soap, let it dry, flipping it over so it dries evenly. When it is completely dry, cut into several pieces (I cut it into 8 pieces). Then you have a soapy sponge to use and no liquid to deal with.

Thanks for all your answers...this is my first child and this is all new to me. I am also going to Dominican Republic with her when she is 9 months and I am more worried about washing her bottles in the sink, so the disposable bottles will be a great option while I am down there. I think in WDW I would be more open to just using soap and water to wash her bottles.

If you are going to the Dominican Republic with a baby, I would be more concerned with chikungunya than with sterilizing baby bottles. Despite that, I used to just wash them in the sink with soap and water.

You can also get a pack of medela bags to steralize the bottles in the microwave

I used these to sterilize bottles and breast pumping equipment when I went on vacation this past summer with my 2 month old. I was BF, but we took our older daughter to do a few things and the baby stayed with the grandparents so we had to use a few bottles. I still sterilize my 8 month's olds bottles at home. I wouldn't worry about it on vacation though at her age now.

When we went to Mexico when my son was 6 months old, I brought dish soap, bottle brush, and used the drop in liners- for the nipples, I would fill the coffee pot up with water, run it thru to get steaming hot water, and washed the nipples in that- if we had a microwave in our room, I would have used the medela bags, but our resort did not have microwaves in the rooms.

When we took a then 12 week old YDD to Disney, I took a bottle brush and the drying rack similar to the one posted above along with a small kettle. I would wash the bottles, put them on a towel in the bottom of the sink and pour a pot of boiling water over and in them before putting them on the rack to dry. I wasn't big on sterilizing at that age, but we only took 3 or 4 bottles with us and I spent a lot of time doing a quick wash in cold water in the parks etc. and I just felt they needed to have a good clean off each night.

i only sterilize my bottles about 1-2 times a month. so a week at disney you shouldnt need to. but for a quick fix you can find microwavable sterilzing bags by medela at babies r us/ target/ walmart etc. and then just need a microwave and some water...but honestly for 5 days, hot soapy water will do- just bring a bottle brush

When DD was an infant, I asked her pediatrician about the need to sterilize bottles. He's a pretty laid back guy and I was 100% sure he would say there's no need to sterilize them. Imagine my surprise when he said that if we didn't have a dishwasher (we didn't at the time) that we did need to sterilize bottles because the water from the sink would not get hot enough to kill all of the germs/bacteria. I bought a sterilizer that could be used in the microwave.

When DD was an infant, I asked her pediatrician about the need to sterilize bottles. He's a pretty laid back guy and I was 100% sure he would say there's no need to sterilize them. Imagine my surprise when he said that if we didn't have a dishwasher (we didn't at the time) that we did need to sterilize bottles because the water from the sink would not get hot enough to kill all of the germs/bacteria. I bought a sterilizer that could be used in the microwave.

See, and our doc said there is absolutely no need to do so after the initial one after you buy them.

It's all in what you are comfortable with within your family.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, I would suggest getting hot water (for making tea) to rinse out the bottles after you wash them. The public health nurses told us that we don't need to sterilize any more once babies hit 4 months of age as they start to put their hands (and whatever they can hold) in their mouths anyway. It is the same guideline as our provincial pre/postnatal parent resource.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter