**Book Club** Discussion - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

septbride2002

"TO MILE 9!!!"
I haven't finished reading it but I wanted to give us a few days of discussion before the new one is released and we start on that one. Mark your calendars for a discussion on August 1st.

The first time I read OOTP I was MAJORLY disappointed. Where was my Harry Potter? Who is this angry young man who replaced him? With my 2nd reading I came to realize that it was still the same Harry, but he was growing up :guilty:

With my re-reading it now I am only up to Chapter 10 but the thing that jumps out at me the most is Molly Weasley. She is a real Witch in this book, to the point where I can't stand her. I understand she is under a lot of stress, but she is just down right nasty at some points. What really angers me at the end is that she was a BIG proponent of Harry not knowing anything! It is his lack of knowledge though that causes him to act as he does. Had they given him the information all could have been avoided.

Ques.

1) Give us a review of the book.

2) How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?

3) Do you think Fred and George's joke shop will be a success?

4) What is really going on with Percy?

5) Do you feel Dumbledore should have told Harry everything at the beginning of the book?

~Amanda

Ok, I'm back in the book club saddle for this one! :) Here we go.

I felt like OOTP was the "Empire Strikes Back" of the series. It was overwhelmingly dark but a neccessary addition. It gets us ready for the HBP which I'm sure will have some MAJOR twists that no one sees coming. It was a bit of a let down after GOF (which was my favorite so far), but it was still an incredibly well written book. It seems to me as a "transitional" book from the still midly light hearted GOF to what I think is going to be a more serious HBP.

2) How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?
I cried. I admit it! Poor Harry finally has some family and bam! He's gone. I think it will make Harry grow up pretty quickly in HBP - more so than he already has. It's not that he hasn't experienced loss before, but I think this one will be profound for him.

Eh. I don't really know. It would seem pretty cookie cutter if it was a success - but maybe JKR will use it to be the "fluff" in HBP.

I don't know and I can't wait to find out. I wanted to reach through the book and hit him! Personally, I think he's going to be the one to bite the big one in HBP.

5) Do you feel Dumbledore should have told Harry everything at the beginning of the book?
Hmmm.... probably not. I don't think Harry was ready to hear it at the beginning. He needed to grow a bit more.

I absolutely can't wait until Friday at midnight. :)

I thought the EXACT same thing about Harry when I read OOP. Then, when I realized they were all keeping secrets, I was really impressed with the way he handled everything. Really...how many times have I sat in traffic wishing I could turn that nasty driver into a toad? Imagine being able to do it! I think he showed amazing restraint and forgiveness.

I still think something's not right with Dumbledore. I really think he's a bad guy...I get lots of heat for saying that and I'm probably wrong, but something about him just doesn't sit right with me. :confused3

I don't know what to make of Percy. The only thing I can figure is he's been brainwashed to believe that being like his father is a road for being poor and he wants better for himself. So, I think he's been taken in by the people at the Ministry (like Mr. Malfoy) and shown a different lifestyle that he's not willing to give up.

It would be a hoot if Fred and George end up very wealthy and Percy ends up slinking back to them for money and help. It would serve him right if money was his motive.

I can't wait to get my book. :Pinkbounc

I'm not part of the book club, but I would love to discuss this book if you don't mind me jumping in. I'm actually almost done reading this one (for the 3rd time) to prepare for the Half Blood Prince.

It's ok, not my favorite of the series. I think it has to do with how over the top JKR made the character of Dolores Umbridge. She was just too much and I really couldn't stand to read the parts with her.

I was devastated by Sirius's death, he quickly became one of my favorite characters. I think Harry will be greatly affected b/c in the short time that he has come to know Sirius, he has come to depend on him to be there for him for guidance. He will now be on his own again.

Yes, I do think it will be a success and I think that they will be able to financially help their family, which would put less stress on Arthur and Molly and also give Ron some more confidence. Ron hates being so poor and is embarassed by it and I think if there is some money he will become more self assured and maybe come out of Harry's shadow a bit, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Percy feels that his father is a bit of a joke at the Ministry of Magic and doesn't want to be perceived that way so he is going in the extreme opposite direction. Hopefully, he will turn out to be ok, though I have to agree with phisigprincess, I think he might die in the HBP.

I'm not sure what I feel about this. There is something going on with Dumbledore that I can't figure out. I think Harry does have the right to know everything that is going on since it is about him, but I'm not sure if knowing hinders him or helps him.

Thanks for letting me participate in this discussion.

It doesn't matter if you're part of the book club or not! Come on in! We just like having a good discussion on the book. :)

I haven't read OotP since it was released, but at the time I was struck by the fact it was very Fifteen. Dark, tormented, in-between. Captured what I felt like at that age very well. Like nobody knows how you feel and struggling constantly to feel "right" about things - not be jealous, not be angry. It's why I really liked the whole Snape's memory of James and Sirius. 15 is an age at which you start to realize your family, your mentors, your favorite teachers are not perfect. Coming to terms with the fact that your dad might not always be such a good person, or that he has personality traits that you don't like in your own friends is tough, and I'm betting particularly so for a parent you'd never known. I also loved the introduction of some new female characters -- Tonks (who I hope we learn more about in the next two books); Luna (ditto); and even Umbridge, who I'm sure we haven't hear the last of.

I just wasn't bowled over by Sirius dying. So much was going on and everyone was getting hurt (and I was also more upset about Neville getting hit with the Cruciatus curse and the way Bellatrix taunted him about his parents, and Neville was being so brave telling Harry not to hand over the prophecy); furthermore, Sirius has never been a huge sentimental favorite of mine.

As far as my predictions for Sirius in Book 6 and beyond, and looking closely at what Luna says to Harry at the end, especially at how Luna fully expects to see her own dead mother again through the veil, I'll make the prediction that Sirius stays dead. But I do think that he, and perhaps James and Lily, will make a few appearances in Books Six and Seven.

Absolutely! I also don't think they will only use their awesome inventive talents simply to make joke items. I'm thinking Books 6 and 7 will have our Wizarding world at war, and they will need weapons, and Fred and George will be the guys to invent those weapons. They already made Extendable Ears and even that Portable Swamp could be a useful item in a battle.

I was absolutely convinced for a good 2/3rds of the book that Percy was not what he seemed and was going to be the one killed. (Someone "close to Harry" but not too close, he would have been perfect.) I figured him for a double agent in the Ministry of Magic who got caught, which is what would get him killed. The hint he sent Ron in his letter, telling him to be sure to read the Prophet had me positive I was right. Instead, he's just a jerk.

Not really. Dumbledore did what he thought best in order to protect Harry. All parents struggle with the finding the balance between protecting our kids and giving them information that will help them protect themselves.

Can't wait until Friday! :)

I really liked Molly's character in this book. She was more of a mother to Harry then ever before. She witheld the information for the same reason Dumbeldore did, love. They wanted to protect Harry for as long as they could. I thought her boggart turning into Harry just showed how much she really loved him. I think she might be the next character to die...

I think this book had to be dark. If you think in terms of this being part of seven then this is when the mood changes and it does, conflict has arisen.
I hope the joke shop does well, well enough to where the Weaslys won't have to worry about money! Fred and George seem to know what they are doing, and I think it has its purpose in the story.

I was sad when Sirius died but I don't think he is completly gone. I think that Veil thing will have some secrets revealed later on.

I think Percy will follow where ever the biggest gains are. He is power hungry enough to go against his own family, could he be hungry enough to take up with Voldy? Maybe he is just weak enough to be controled by the Dark Lord? Will shall see.

Maybe DD should have told Harry everything, but I don't think it would have helped. He is still curious, he still would have had the dreams and such.

phisigprincess said:
It doesn't matter if you're part of the book club or not! Come on in! We just like having a good discussion on the book. :)

Thank you. :flower: I really enjoy reading everyone else's opinions and theories.

phisigprincess said:
I felt like OOTP was the "Empire Strikes Back" of the series.

LMAO phisigprincess! I was just going over my whole take on the Star Wars/HP parallels with someone who told me I was off my bird.....and here you are making a SW comparison!

If Harry and Hermione end up being twins split that night.....I get one heck of a lunch.....

Ugh I know! I wanted to smack her! I don't think she will be gone for good though!

MrsKreamer said:
I really liked Molly's character in this book. She was more of a mother to Harry then ever before. She witheld the information for the same reason Dumbeldore did, love. They wanted to protect Harry for as long as they could. I thought her boggart turning into Harry just showed how much she really loved him. I think she might be the next character to die...

Oh geez, I hope not! She is very beloved, I can't imagine JKR doing that to Harry's second mother. I found myself teary-eyed early in the book reading about her attempts to maintain order, deal with a very stressful situation and protect the youngsters she loves. As a mom, I can absolutely feel her pain and love her character as if she were an old friend.

As far as Umbridge, she really was evil, wasn't she? I do have to say I loved some of McGonnagal's interactions with her. Gotta love McGonnagal, she is one tough old broad that doesn't take crap from anyone, even that old witch Umbridge. :cheer2:

I enjoyed the book. I think GoF is my favorite of the series, but this one was still very well written. I felt the same way as Amanda when i first read the book about Harry. He's so angry all the time. I couldn't figure out if it was puberty or if it was Voldermort starting to creep into his mind.

I was never really attached to him as a character. I felt sad for Harry though. I think Harry is going to become stronger and want some sort of revenge.

Definitely!

Not sure, but I would love to find out. Maybe he's been brainwashed andnow working for the dark side.

No. I think he did the right thing.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the others. I felt though that the characters are really coming into themselves. I am really looking to see where Rowling takes them for the next steps in there lives.

I was hurt to see him "die" but a the same time, I dont think he is dead. I think Harry will have a hard time dealing with the loss though.

I think everything Fred and George do is a success. I am sure Mrs. Weasley is worried though they wont succeed. She loves her children.

I dont know how to answer this. Maybe he is under a spell.

Yes. He needs to be more honest with Harry.

I'm not a club member either, but I'll give my ideas anyway! I just finished my re-read of the series 2 days ago, so this is fresh in my mind.

It was darker than the other books and did an excellent job dealing with Harry's struggle from childhood to adulthood. The book was wrought with emotions just as a 15 year-old would be. Added to that the fact that someone evil wants you dead--I think JKR portrayed Harry in an accurate way. Yes, I wanted to smack him sometimes, but at the same time pity him. He had everything he enjoyed pulled away from him coupled with the stresses of a horrible school year that would determine his future path--if he had a future at all. I loved the addition of the Luna character. She is a great foil for Hermione's constant fact checking. The scene at St. Mungo's with Neville, honestly pulled at my heart more than the death of Sirius. Although OOTP was not my favorite book of the series, I thinK it set the tone for the seriousness of the final books.

I was very shocked when Sirius died. It just didn't seem like a death. Like Harry I thought he was just behind the veil. He didn't seem to have been struck by a death curse before falling through. I was angry she picked this character to kill in addition. But it may be a way of showing that death is sudden, unpredictable and doesn't have to be exclusively by the AK curse. Although I think he is dead, I still think Harry will have some contact in with him in the future.

Of course! Some of the best inventors weren't great students!

Percy wants success and the fulfillment of his ambitions over everything; he can not admit his failures. Depending on what happens to Fudge, Percy may be out of a job, full of too much pride to return to his family asking forgiveness and therefore open to being controlled by the Imperious Curse.

No. It he had the book would not have been as good. Seriously, even for a 15 (almost 16) year old it is a pretty harsh reality that you must commit murder. For some reason Dumbledore has a deeper relationship with Harry than we know. Maybe this will be revealed in the next book.

I also was a bit angry that it was Sirius character that was killed. My thought, "Was good lord what else are we going to put this poor character through?"

~Amanda

I was irritated for most of the book. The injustice really bothered me and I felt indignant on Harry's behalf. Like many, I particularly hated Umbridge.

For me, OotP really didn't answer any questions. There were so many things left over that still need to be fleshed out.​

I was heartbroken. Yes, I cried. I think it will make Harry more practical and measured. I hope he'll be more likely to ask for help.​

Of course...​

What do you mean? I don't think that he's conscioiusly a bad guy. I just think he was caught up in his well-meaning ambition. But, you know what they say about good intentions. The interesting things to see will be if he's kicked out along with Fudge, what his new job will be, and if he can swallow his pride.​

I understand why he didn't, but I think he should have. He should have found a way to reveal the information to Harry safely. His silence put Harry in even more danger. He should have known (knowing Harry) that Harry is independant and would not be likely to ask for help.​

I've put together a whole list of questions and issues... I wish I could attach it. :confused3

I too am rereading, i read GOF and Phoenix to get ready for Saturday

I found this book very dark but I think it had to be, we can no longer have Harry bumbling through with amazing results. Gone is the youthful exuberance and now we face entrance into adulthood under war.

2)How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?
I think his death was neccessary as will future deaths. It has always been my thinking that key players will have to go until it is just Voldemort and Harry at the end (Ie dumbledore, lupin etc) I don't think Hermoine and Ron, i am talking about all those who harry looks to for guidance and strength, until it is only himself and then becomes the great wizard he was born to be.

I hope so

4) What is really going on with Percy? not sure but i don't have good feelings about it, i feel something bad is going to happen.

Well that is not the way JK works does she. There is always someone holding back (harry not telling dumbledore about his scar, his visions, etc)
So we just got to take it like it is. Although I find myself thinking to myself "why doesn't he tell someone... insert malady here (scar hurting, the visions etc"

Hi! I'm a children's librarian and I had my Harry Potter: Countdown to book 6 program today, so it's a good time to share!

The first time I read it, I didn't like it very much at all. I felt it was way too long, there were way too many scenes with Umbridge (I actually started skipping stuff everytime she was mentioned. But after listening to it on the drive down to WDW on my honeymoon, I had a much better appreciation for it. I can't stress enough how awesome the recorded books are!

I was balling, and seriously tempted to tell my DH not to read it. He LOVES Sirius. My DH does not believe that he is dead in the strictest sense and that we will see him again. He has many reasons for his belief, but I' won't go through all that.

Yes! I think they are comic geniuses and everyone needs to be more like them. What better way to do so, than to buy their products!?

I have this secret hope that he's really, really good and being a pain for a really good reason. I think he might end up Minister of Magic. I have no idea why I think that, but it's been bugging me!

No, because if he had, there would be no book!
I too think something is up with Dumbledore, but I don't think he's bad. I almost wish JK would just kill him off already so she'll stop the foreshadowing. Every time he's mentioned, it seemed like she had to throw in something about him looking old or tired. His time is limited.

All the kids loved talking about who else was going to die in the next books.

Amazingly their #1 was Ron! I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised to lose at least one Weasley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter