Bonnett Creek learns from DVC (or NOT) - update in post #44

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Wyndham Bonnett Creek Resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week. Effective February 15, 2013, The Bonnet Creek Homeowner’s Association will begin implementing a USD $12 per unit, per day ($84 per week) transportation fee. All guests staying at the resort are required to pay this fee, regardless whether or not they take advantage of the shuttle service.

It sounds as though Bonnett Creek has learned something from DVC regarding exchanges into the resort although they may have taken it a step further since DVC members do not benefit financially from the $95 exchange fee charged to those coming to stay from RCI. DVC itself benefits from those charges.

Many DISers here who rent units directly from BC owners are now rethinking their plans since the daily fee was announced.

Made me wonder if DVC could institute a similar daily usage fee assessment to non-owners occupying a unit (via rental from members).

Many DISers here who rent units directly from BC owners are now rethinking their plans since the daily fee was announced.

Made me wonder if DVC could institute a similar daily usage fee assessment to non-owners occupying a unit (via rental from members).

Certainly DVC could have a fee for anyone staying on points besides the DVC owner, but DVC has no true way to distinguish a renter from a family member using a villa reserved by an owner. It would likely be in the form of a fee for any villa not occupied by the member themselves - if at all. I don't see this as something likely to be implemented in the near future if at all.

Is this Bonnet Creek fee going to apply to Bonnet Creek owners staying there? Since it seems to be for people that rent from owners, how would they distinguish...especially if owners are using it for a family member and not renting?

Is this Bonnet Creek fee going to apply to Bonnet Creek owners staying there? Since it seems to be for people that rent from owners, how would they distinguish...especially if owners are using it for a family member and not renting?

I know it is for exchanges, but am not sure about rentals unless Wyndham has a means to distinguish between non-owner stays.

Based on the notice quoted above, it sounds like a fee assessed to all guests except for units occupied by owners - in which case it could be an offsetting credit for the actual transportation costs.

Certainly DVC could have a fee for anyone staying on points besides the DVC owner, but DVC has no true way to distinguish a renter from a family member using a villa reserved by an owner. It would likely be in the form of a fee for any villa not occupied by the member themselves - if at all. I don't see this as something likely to be implemented in the near future if at all.

thank you

Unless they'd ask members to 'self declare' the relationship as to who would be occupying the unit when they made the reservation.

I'm staying at Bonnet Creek starting Feb 4th and below is the notice I got from the resort. Basically, if you own at BC or are a Club Access owner you do not pay.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your recent reservation at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. As you may know, the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Rxxxxxx Sxxxxxx, Resort Manager
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort

The Wyndham fee is applied to all units -- except those occupied by WBC owners, and two other classes of Wyndahm owners (Wyndham Access and Presidential Reserve).

With Wyndham, it's easy to tell who is who, because they have a "Guest Confirmation" requirement for anyone who is not an owner (including family, renters, etc). and they have several classifications of owners.

Doc is right -- this is a fee which actually benefits WBC owners (as opposed to the DVC exchange fee which goes directly in DVC's pocket). This fee was levied by the WBC Homeowners Association -- not Wyndham itself -- and will therefore reduce owners dues...or reduce the amount of increase.

Although there is some talk comparing the fee to DVC's $95 exchange fee, I think it is only partially valid. DVC's $95 exchange fee for DVC owners exchanging OUT via RCI is actually a bargain. With Wyndham, I pay $179 or $189 depending on how I book (although I have access to the full RCI inventory and I book directly, rather than through an intermediary (DVC MS).

When someone exchanges INto DVC through RCI, they are paying double -- their normal RCI exchange fee + the $95 DVC fee. I don't think anyone actually believes the DVC fee is for transportation, DME, EMH, or any of the other standard benefits of staying onsite in any Disney resort. Most recognize it for what it is -- a "because we can" fee.

Yep, that's exactly how it's done. With Wyndham, you're either an owner or you are not. If not, you have to have a guest confirmation and if you don't have one 15 days out, the ressie is cancelled. Simple.

I agree this is not something I think DVC would do anytime soon...but then again, I didn't think they'd take away valet parking in the middle of the night either.

With Wyndham, things are different. DVC is very simple -- you have points, you make a reservation. With Wyndham, there are lots of little annoying nickle and dime credits, charges etc -- for making a reservation...for housekeeping...for guest confirmations...banking points (called "credit pooling" in Wyndham-speak)...etc, ad nauseum. They're just little annoyances, but they detract from the overall ownership experience. DVC, so far, has kept it easy and simple.

Yep, that's exactly how it's done. With Wyndham, you're either an owner or you are not. If not, you have to have a guest confirmation and if you don't have one 15 days out, the ressie is cancelled. Simple.

I agree this is not something I think DVC would do anytime soon...but then again, I didn't think they'd take away valet parking in the middle of the night either.

With Wyndham, things are different. DVC is very simple -- you have points, you make a reservation. With Wyndham, there are lots of little annoying nickle and dime credits, charges etc -- for making a reservation...for housekeeping...for guest confirmations...banking points (called "credit pooling" in Wyndham-speak)...etc, ad nauseum. They're just little annoyances, but they detract from the overall ownership experience. DVC, so far, has kept it easy and simple.

:thumbsup2 All that about Wyndham, and throw in the annoying attempts to get you to an update every time you check in...DVC is much more relaxing for booking and checking in. Bluegreen wears me out too!

I got the notice about this from RCI last night. I've had this 3 week trade for months and never would have made it if this fee was in effect. Its really left me stuck for alternatives since our vacation starts in several weeks but no way I'm paying an extra $252 for a shuttle I'll never use. Thought this was sleazy on Bonnet Creeks part to not at least honor current trades. Unfortunately, I have to abide with whatever I agree to when I make a trade - the same should go for Bonnet Creek.

I got the notice about this from RCI last night. I've had this 3 week trade for months and never would have made it if this fee was in effect. Its really left me stuck for alternatives since our vacation starts in several weeks but no way I'm paying an extra $252 for a shuttle I'll never use. Thought this was sleazy on Bonnet Creeks part to not at least honor current trades. Unfortunately, I have to abide with whatever I agree to when I make a trade - the same should go for Bonnet Creek.
While I agree they should have delayed implementation, technically you agreed that changes could occur when you made the reservation. As I'm reading this it looks like even other Wyndham owners will be charged the fee if they don't fit into one of the groups in questions. What will be interesting to me is whether they will charge the fee for those that fit the excluded criteria but exchange in.

I can see charging a fee on an RCI exchange, DVC did not get any dues money on that reservation. But if I rent my points, I have paid the dues on those points, the renter should not get hit. It does not cost DVC any more money if I'm staying in the room vs my renter.

I can see charging a fee on an RCI exchange, DVC did not get any dues money on that reservation. But if I rent my points, I have paid the dues on those points, the renter should not get hit. It does not cost DVC any more money if I'm staying in the room vs my renter.
Actually no matter who stays in the room, the options provided have (or should have) already been paid for. It's basically a way for DVD to pay for a program that should and would be provided otherwise without exchanges. It does not save the members anything since the services would and should be covered by the 12% maint fees. While I am aware of many other timeshare that charge extra fees for things like resort fees, AC, mandatory vs optional AI, even parking and some of them charge members less or not at all compared to non members, I'm not aware off hand of any that simply charge exchangers for services routinely provided just because they can. It's not a big deal and when I exchange in, I know about the fee up front but I disagree with the fee in principle.

well there goes my plan of possibly exchanging into BC. We would never use their transportation so I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

$12 a day doesn't make or break an options but it may shift the balance, esp if they upgrade their transportation accordingly.

:thumbsup2 All that about Wyndham, and throw in the annoying attempts to get you to an update every time you check in...DVC is much more relaxing for booking and checking in. Bluegreen wears me out too!
Depends greatly on the resort and your tactics. At our home resort (Great Smokys), they don't hassle you. You just check in, easy and painless. Later they call you to "see if it's okay if we bring by your welcome gifts." We say no, and that's the end of it.

At Bonnet Creek, they are much more persistent. We don't even go to the "parking pass" desk, and we unplug our phone as soon as we walk into the apartment.

Wyndham is a very nice system, with a few minor annoying fees, and a really sleezy sales organization. The sales group is an embarrassment to a good company.

I can see charging a fee on an RCI exchange, DVC did not get any dues money on that reservation.
Sure they did. The owner who exchanged *out* paid the dues on the points they used to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter