Bonds breaks the record hits #756

I am so glad its over so we can stop hearing about it. I have much more admiration for A-Rod and his accomplishments at his young age.

:rolleyes1 lone voice in the wilderness here i suppose:yay:

:cheer2: Congratulations Barry:banana: :banana: :banana:

i've been a fan since his days many moons ago with the Pirates.

fyi, of his era of players (McGuire, Sosa) it is estimated that anywhere between 25% and 75% were "juiced"...

not sure whether the teams unofficially encouraged the practice:rolleyes: or the guys just wanted to level the playing field or get a leg up on the competition...

regardless, he broke the record!

fyi, yes i 'invested' in many of his rookie cards;)

as for professional athletes being role models:confused3other than morality clauses and the expectation that they obey the same laws as the rest of us; they're free to indulge in whatever lifestyle they choose (and usually can pick & choose as a result of their super-star status).

That's one baseball record that is so tainted I don't even acknowledge it.
Hank Aaron is still the Home Run leader to me.

That's one baseball record that is so tainted I don't even acknowledge it.
Hank Aaron is still the Home Run leader to me.

:thumbsup2

I agree.. if BB only had half the class of Hank, I might even care about him.
As it stands.. BB hasn't acomplished anything worth celebrating.

:rolleyes1

as for professional athletes being role models:confused3other than morality clauses and the expectation that they obey the same laws as the rest of us; they're free to indulge in whatever lifestyle they choose (and usually can pick & choose as a result of their super-star status).

That is one of the reasons I always liked Charles Barkely. He came right out and said he was not a role model, and if parents were looking for a role model for their kids, they should be that role model themselves. Go Chuck!!!!

As for Bonds being cold and rude to the Media--I have NO problem with that. The way they spin stories and comments and create personas that aren't true is sickening--and I have NO problems with Barry taking a stand that he has no time for the Media and wont let them put words in this mouth. He isn't cruel to his fans--that's the media spin that has created that belief--nothing more.

Did he knowingly take Steroids--maybe, maybe not---but I LOVE it that everyone's OK with Mark McGuire taking substances illegal in baseball because he was created as a 'likable character' by the Media, so it was downplayed and you never heard anyone wanting a "*" by his record while he held it.

I'm always frightened by the control the spin doctors of the Media have in forming public opinion about who to turn a blind eye to and who to crucify.

but I LOVE it that everyone's OK with Mark McGuire taking substances illegal in baseball because he was created as a 'likable character' by the Media, so it was downplayed and you never heard anyone wanting a "*" by his record while he held it.

you seriously think "everybody" is ok with McGuire. I live in the midwest and from what I can see, people were disgusted after the Congressional hearings.

As far as I'm concerned, that particular record can go back to Maris.

As for Bonds, I'm again disgusted. I sincerely hope Arod takes it from him and please God may we never learn that he also is a cheater.

you seriously think "everybody" is ok with McGuire. I live in the midwest and from what I can see, people were disgusted after the Congressional hearings.

Yes....when I used the phrasing, of course it meant that I believed every single person in the universe felt that way :rolleyes:

Everyone's OK with McGuire? You playing the race card? Geez...Bonds, McGuire and Sosa should all get the ole asterisk IMO. They're cheaters and should not be praised for it. What's sad is that Bonds had a pretty darned good career going before his head size doubled, but he did chose to do it and hopefully Selig will be taking the appropriate measures after the Mitchell report comes out.

pirate:

Everyone's OK with McGuire? You playing the race card? Geez...Bonds, McGuire and Sosa should all get the ole asterisk IMO. They're cheaters and should not be praised for it. What's sad is that Bonds had a pretty darned good career going before his head size doubled, but he did chose to do it and hopefully Selig will be taking the appropriate measures after the Mitchell report comes out.

pirate:

Whoa Whoa Whoa---you clearly didn't read my post--and to be honest, to even suggest I was playing a race card is a racist suggestion. I gave a very clear explanation for why I thought it was never suggested that McGuire have an asterisk and why it was for Bonds and my reason had EVERYTHING to do with Bonds refusing to play the games of the Media and so they turned him into more of a villain than Mark McGuire.

You even bringing up race is a perfect example of the age old saying "when you point a finger at someone else, you have 3 others pointing back at you!" So far in this thread, YOU are the only person suggesting its a race issue.

I'm sorry, I was being a tad tounge in cheek because basically I'm not very PC. :rolleyes1 I mean I disagreed with the idea that anyone was giving McGuire a free pass but didn't seriously think you were playing the now ubiquitous race card.
pirate:

I'm glad it's over so we can stop hearing about it too! Plus, I think it's great that they say this ball may be worth only about $500,000! Not the $2-3 million like some balls in the past (McGuire I think). But the article I read today said that even now, McGuire's wouldn't be worth what it was back then. More people are disgusted by the tainted records.

Now, I'm sure he did something, otherwise his personal trainer, who's probably earned millions, wouldn't be happy to sit in jail for Barry! However, here's the other issue that is never discussed, the "protective gear" he wears on his arm. Here's a great article breaking it all down, very interesting!

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003621797

The really sad part of this entire story is that there is steriod use in just about EVERY sport now. You will never know from this point forward if ANY record broken is real or not. From cycling to football and baseball, track and field to swimming, every sport is tainted.

However, steriod use is nothing new in sports. Thirty years ago we would see massive women swimming for East Germany at the Olympics and shattering all sorts of records. They still had gold medals hanging from their necks at the end of the games despite the fact it was obvious they had used steriods. "Normal" women just don't look that way.

Honestly, I don't believe, esp with the current advances in medical research, that HGH and steriod use is going to go away. It is just going to get worse. Organizations and leagues can test all they want but the cheaters will always be one step ahead of the tests.

Also, according to today's NY Post, A-Rod is next on the media's list to be targeted for steriod use.

MsA

Well, then folks - just ignore it. In your minds, wait for A-Rod to break Aaron's record. Tell me that no other player in Major League Baseball took steroids (& whatever else Bonds suppposedly took). Nope - you can't say that. What were all those pitchers taking? We don't know.

So, just ignore it.

And since most of you think that we're nuts out here on the Left Coast, I guess you'll be happy to continue to believe it.
A-rod may be a user to? Who knows. Canseco has a new book coming out with statement on A-rod. Canseco's first book ended up containing the truth about some players and roids.

Yes, steroids are illegal but they weren't in baseball when all these players started to use them. I don't think the players look st it as cheating, just another way to get the edge on the competition...like vitamins. No one gets up in arms when their favorite football player is caught using them. Bill Romanoski took everything under the sun but no one wants an asterisk by the Broncos and 49'ers Super Bowl championships.

Roids don't only make you bigger and stronger but they also help you recover faster...Roger Clemens could be on them. There are way to many "what ifs" to single out just Barry Bonds. He has the record and it will stand until A-rod gives a try at breaking it.

As far as I'm concerned, the single season HR record is held by Roger Maris, with 61-his "drug" of choice was nicotine. The all time HR record is held by Hank Aaron. Nobody can make me accept the McGuire or Bonds "achievements". There was as much science in their "records" as there was in the space shuttle launch yesterday.

As far as A-Rod goes, every ball player that hits big numbers is going to be a target of suspicion. It's a cloud that will hang over every achivement in baseball for a long time. People were making references about Clemens last year, having such a great season at his age.

I am so glad its over so we can stop hearing about it. I have much more admiration for A-Rod and his accomplishments at his young age.
Of course he is our running around with strippers. AND there are some rumors floating around about his own steroid use.

:rolleyes1 lone voice in the wilderness here i suppose:yay:

:cheer2: Congratulations Barry:banana: :banana: :banana:

i've been a fan since his days many moons ago with the Pirates.

fyi, of his era of players (McGuire, Sosa) it is estimated that anywhere between 25% and 75% were "juiced"...

not sure whether the teams unofficially encouraged the practice:rolleyes: or the guys just wanted to level the playing field or get a leg up on the competition...

regardless, he broke the record!

fyi, yes i 'invested' in many of his rookie cards;)

I, too, have a difficult getting all excited when it appears that the majority of players were using (whether knowingly or unknowingly).

And I agree that we should not expect athletes, entertainers, etc. to be role models.

As for Bonds being cold and rude to the Media--I have NO problem with that. The way they spin stories and comments and create personas that aren't true is sickening--and I have NO problems with Barry taking a stand that he has no time for the Media and wont let them put words in this mouth. He isn't cruel to his fans--that's the media spin that has created that belief--nothing more.

Did he knowingly take Steroids--maybe, maybe not---but I LOVE it that everyone's OK with Mark McGuire taking substances illegal in baseball because he was created as a 'likable character' by the Media, so it was downplayed and you never heard anyone wanting a "*" by his record while he held it.

I'm always frightened by the control the spin doctors of the Media have in forming public opinion about who to turn a blind eye to and who to crucify.
I don't agree that everyone is OK with McGuire. I do agree though that I can't blame Barry Bonds for treating the media like the ***** they are.

As far as I'm concerned, that particular record can go back to Maris.

As for Bonds, I'm again disgusted. I sincerely hope Arod takes it from him and please God may we never learn that he also is a cheater.

Again, there are rumors...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter