• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

board or commute?

kidpluto

Mouseketeer
sorry i am not in college yet but i am looking and i thought that maybe i could ask this question here because i was looking for opinions. I was wondering what some of the advantages were for commuting to college? I would like to board wherever i go but a lot of the colleges i have been looking at give me the option of commuting and commuting could be really good for money issues but is it too much of a hassle and would it kill the college experience??? yah i am sorry for the long question but i have a tendency to ramble on (its a bad habit) but yah i was just curious and thought maybe i would ask here. thanks = )

Commuting like you said is good for the money (well with gas prices as they are not so much anymore:lmao: ). Other than that, I dont really see an upside to it.
Personally, where I goto community college, there is a university about 20 minutes away, and there are private dorms, where univeristy kids and community college kids can live together. Just start calling around and see what your options are. The dorms are a great way to meet tons of other students, and do give you the "college" experience.

Parent chiming in here.

Generally, even with commuting prices factored in vs dorm plus meal plan fees, commuting will be much less expensive, though it does vary by college and also if the housing costs are subsidized(state colleges, etc). You must also consider whether or not you would have a car anyway in which case commuting is the obvious choice based upon cost alone, or whether you would use public transportation to go to and from school. Will you also work part-time? More pieces to the puzzle...

Also consider the following: Have you ever lived away from home before, and are you really ready to do so? Living away from home sounds great to many young adults at first, but it isn't unususal even when living within weekend commuting distance for young adults to get homesick. I know, you're saying, "Not me!", but trust me it happens a lot.

One of the biggest challenges during the freshman year is learning how to focus on the school work with all the social distractions going on. You will be pulled at from all sides - often without the time management skills that come with a few more years of maturity. Honestly, this is probably one of the biggest causes of the typically poor freshman retention rates most colleges have. One of our kids adapted quite well, another didn't. Even she will admit that she would have been much better off being able to be home in the evenings WITHOUT the distractions which are a large part of what's labelled the "college experience."

You have to consider your own strengths and weaknesses. Some can go right from HS into a dorm, and balance the course work with the non-academic activities (and partying;) ) , and do very well. Some would be better off commuting for the first year or two, then living on campus for the remainder.

Whichever you choose, good luck and stay focused on the work. Remember, most of the people you see having lots of fun every night will be gone by next spring.

I would say live on campus. The university I went to was only about 15 minutes away from where I live, and at first, because I went to a private school, I thought I should just live at home because of the cost. But my dad told me he thought I should live on campus since it's part of the college experience, and I really have no regrets doing so. I lived on campus all 4 years, and I loved it. It made me feel more a part of the school. I am student teaching in the fall and living at home, and I'm going to miss living on campus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter