BLT Vs. AKV: JMHO

All discussion about bus distance, monorails and vanity mirror-placement aside:

I guess Im still curious as to why more ppl aren't considering the large MF delta when comparing these rates. Over $1/point? It would seem to be easy math to figure out the breakeven point vs AK.

In fact, if you really look at 50 years of ownership- and assuming that delta will maintain or more likely grow- BLT could look like a steal vs AK (even with all your bargain basement incentives).

What am I missing here?

I just can't see the difference holding over time. It makes sense that the mf is low to start. Ultimately, I can't see how it Will stay lower than say BWV. Similar situation, shared transportation, walkability to a park, and attachment to a larger resort. And BWV's mfs are higher than AKV.

I certainly wouldn't base a purchase decision on the potential of the BLT mfs remaining lower than the other resorts. No matter what a guide tells me. It is a gamble that history suggests would be very risky.

Do you think that BLT will sell out faster because it is so much smaller than other DVC?:confused3

According to allears, BLT has 295 2-bed equivalent units. By comparison, VWL has 136 (and not all are 2-bed), BCV has 205 and BWV has 383.

Of course SSR, AKV, and OKW have more (in the 400-500+ range).

So, I wouldn't say that BLT is so much smaller than the other DVCs. :)

BLT owners can watch there point value drop with every inch the treetops grow.

As with all Disney properties I've seen, the landscaping is always expertly managed and cared for. And with the advertised "MK" view, I seriously doubt they would let the landscaping go for any reason, let alone to obstruct an advertised and coveted view.

Fortunately, I bought BLT for 50 years to always be ensured of staying @ the Contemporary or its DVC equivalent. I'm not worried about what its resale value will be, although I'm sure it will be highly coveted in the future as its sure to be the fastest DVC sellout. Nor am I worried about what other DVC owners opinions are of my purchase. I bought it because its what I want and where I want my kids and grandkids to call home!:love:

Fortunately, I bought BLT for 50 years to always be ensured of staying @ the Contemporary or its DVC equivalent.
I bought it because its what I want and where I want my kids and grandkids to call home!:love:
LionQueen,

You've bought it for the right reason. When they first started DVC, who would have ever dreamed that it would be possible to stay at the Board Walk Inn or the Beach Club? The Contemporary was always THE place to stay, even if the Polynesian is more family oriented. I remember when WDW opened in 1970 (age 9) or so standing in the Contemporary with guidebook in hand reading about the mosaics on the wall.

For me, it's not just the walking distance to the MK and monorail to EPCOT. It's all the adult restaurants on the monorail loop. I just think it will make for a great trip.

I'm not buying yet, but I hope to soon. But in the meantime, congrats on your purchase. You will enjoy it, ugly Brady Bunch furniture and all!

All discussion about bus distance, monorails and vanity mirror-placement aside:

I guess Im still curious as to why more ppl aren't considering the large MF delta when comparing these rates. Over $1/point? It would seem to be easy math to figure out the breakeven point vs AK.

What am I missing here?

Thats $1 difference today, BLT MF's could be more than AKV in 5 years.

Another simplistic analysis:

If I were somebody just buying into DVC, my two choices today would be AKV and BLT. Over the next 48 years (the life of AKV), BLT would actually cost less.

For example, let's assume 7 nights in a 1-BR unit in early December in the largest view selection (SV at AKV and LV at BLT). The rooms are comparable in size (807 sqft at AKV and 803 at BLT).

It would cost 205 points at AKV and 223 at BLT. My initial purchase price would therefore be $19,680 at AKV and $23,861 at BLT.

Assuming that that the MF at both would go up the same percentage each year, let's make the comparison simpler and use the existing MF for 48 years. That would be $965.55 per year for AKV and $818.41 for BLT. I should probably use a higher number for AKV since I'm using 2008 MF for it while using 2009 MF for BLT.

The amount you would pay out of pocket each year over 48 years?

AKV - $1376
BLT - $1316

BLT doesn't look bad at all from this perspective!

Plus, if I take those 223 BLT points and use them at the 7-mo window at OKW, I could get 11 nights in a 1-BR unit in early Dec.

LionQueen,

You've bought it for the right reason. When they first started DVC, who would have ever dreamed that it would be possible to stay at the Board Walk Inn or the Beach Club? The Contemporary was always THE place to stay, even if the Polynesian is more family oriented. I remember when WDW opened in 1970 (age 9) or so standing in the Contemporary with guidebook in hand reading about the mosaics on the wall.

For me, it's not just the walking distance to the MK and monorail to EPCOT. It's all the adult restaurants on the monorail loop. I just think it will make for a great trip.

I'm not buying yet, but I hope to soon. But in the meantime, congrats on your purchase. You will enjoy it, ugly Brady Bunch furniture and all!

Thanks for the congratulations, I just could not be happier! I just had to laugh out loud because while I absolutely adore the artwork, and the bedroom, the kitchen barstools left me with a little look something like this:scared:

Although I definitely prefer other resorts themes (BCV comes immediately to mind) the location and absolutely everything else is a perfect fit for us!

I'm sure at some point during the next 50 years, the decor will be updated:rotfl2:

I was just like you Mississippian; our first WDW trip was at the Contemporary. It was the first visit for my kids and husband as well. It is a cherished memory for us all. The monorail, the location, Chef Mickey's, the lobby, the water sports, everything is pure Disney magical memories for us all. There could be no other place that would really touch our hearts as much as the Contemporary when CM's say "Welcome Home":worship:

Thanks for the congratulations, I just could not be happier! I just had to laugh out loud because while I absolutely adore the artwork, and the bedroom, the kitchen barstools left me with a little look something like this:scared:

Although I definitely prefer other resorts themes (BCV comes immediately to mind) the location and absolutely everything else is a perfect fit for us!

I'm sure at some point during the next 50 years, the decor will be updated:rotfl2:

I was just like you Mississippian; our first WDW trip was at the Contemporary. It was the first visit for my kids and husband as well. It is a cherished memory for us all. The monorail, the location, Chef Mickey's, the lobby, the water sports, everything is pure Disney magical memories for us all. There could be no other place that would really touch our hearts as much as the Contemporary when CM's say "Welcome Home":worship:

That's wonderful! Everyone should feel like that about their DVC home :goodvibes. We haven't stayed at AKV yet, but we visited and loved the decor and everything else about it, so I'm sure the stay will give us the same feelings you have about BLT :lovestruc.

Another simplistic analysis:

If I were somebody just buying into DVC, my two choices today would be AKV and BLT. Over the next 48 years (the life of AKV), BLT would actually cost less.

For example, let's assume 7 nights in a 1-BR unit in early December in the largest view selection (SV at AKV and LV at BLT). The rooms are comparable in size (807 sqft at AKV and 803 at BLT).

It would cost 205 points at AKV and 223 at BLT. My initial purchase price would therefore be $19,680 at AKV and $23,861 at BLT.

Assuming that that the MF at both would go up the same percentage each year, let's make the comparison simpler and use the existing MF for 48 years. That would be $965.55 per year for AKV and $818.41 for BLT. I should probably use a higher number for AKV since I'm using 2008 MF for it while using 2009 MF for BLT.

The amount you would pay out of pocket each year over 48 years?

AKV - $1376
BLT - $1316

BLT doesn't look bad at all from this perspective!

Plus, if I take those 223 BLT points and use them at the 7-mo window at OKW, I could get 11 nights in a 1-BR unit in early Dec.

Mike, you are my DVC hero.If you were married to my wife she would have kicked you out 3 addons ago!!! Some of my posts sound like I am knocking BLT. I am not and would like to addon someday. I see your point about BLT being less in the long run because of there lower MF's (at least for now). But, to me you get more for your money at AKV. If someone buys in at the minimum 160 points at BLT of AKV with the point charts the way they are, you can get more nights at AKV than you can at BLT. Getting a longer vacation for the same amout of points to me is getting more for your money.

Just a thought for everyone - it sure seems that the main reason the dues are lower is because the point chart is so much higher than the other resorts. As a result, it might take 275 points on average to get a one bedroom at BLT for one week, at OKW that number is closer to 200 points. (I didn't calculate this, just estimated based on the points chart). That means that for every one bedroom at the resort, BLT will be selling 14,200 points, versus 10,400 points sold for a one bedroom at OKW. Since MF are your share of the resort's expenses, at BLT you share the burden with more other owners.

Bottom line - the lower monthly fees simply are an indication that you own a much smaller fractional share of BLT than other resorts for a set amount of points, meaning your monthly fees are less. This is just another indication that Disney considers BLT to be a premium resort compared to the other locations, and based on the enthusiasm I've seen here I think they are right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter