BLT Vs. AKV: JMHO

The lower MFs at BLT are negated by the fact that I need to own more points (therefore higher annual MF) in order to get the same amount of time that I can get at other resorts with less points.

:rolleyes1 I hope you considered the long term maintenance fee commitments, given the upkeep ot the animals...

Considering many of the animals are not strictly for the Villas or the Hotel, the costs would be shared, so impact should be negligible.

Okay, I read the op's post yesterday and spent all last evening considering what they said, and I came to the conclusion that the op is probably right, financially speaking. I rolled it around every different way, and DH and I discussed it and we have to say that even though we would love to own at BLT...AKV is a better deal for someone buying for the first time. Plus at this time BLT isn't even being sold to the general public yet, and the incentives may not be that great when they do. We are now trying to narrow down location. AKV is farther out and only has bus service, BLT is closer to MK but for years my DH has referred to the CR as the ugliest thing on disney property and it still is, in his opinion of course. So now we wait to see what kind of impact BLT will have on incentives at AKV, which as the op stated has a good deal going on. Builder points are a must for us to cover our upcoming trip in January. We are hoping the deal at AKV just gets sweeter because of BLT, we will wait. So op thank you for giving at least one person something to think about in all of this BLT excitment :thanks:

Considering many of the animals are not strictly for the Villas or the Hotel, the costs would be shared, so impact should be negligible.

We were told the same thing....when we decided to add on at AKV in Aug. I think AKV is just completely different than any other resort...and we have yet to stay there. BUT just from what I have heard, read and researched......very unique does come to mind. :goodvibes

The MK view is probably good during the evening hours, but during the day, you'd be probably also be looking at the tops of buildings, the cast member parking lots, etc.

I've been to WDW dozens of times but I'm a novice when it comes to DVC.
I understand you have to buy points on top of your initial commitment. How many points ($$$) would a family of 5 need to buy for a 10 day stay at BLT and do the points include your park tickets?

I've been to WDW dozens of times but I'm a novice when it comes to DVC.
I understand you have to buy points on top of your initial commitment. How many points ($$$) would a family of 5 need to buy for a 10 day stay at BLT and do the points include your park tickets?

Points do not include park tickets, DDP or anything else.

A lake-view 1-bd (which sleeps 5) in for 10 days September would be 304 points.

A MK-view 1-bd for those same 10 days would be 366.

If you wanted to move up to a 2-bd (more comfortable for 5 people), the lake view would be 406 and the MK view would be 492.

That's in September, when points are lowest.

In July, the 1bd would be 406 (LV) or 492 (MKV) and the 2bd would be 526 (LV) or 636 (MKV).

Now as to how many points you would need to do this...
If you plan on going every year for 10 days, than you'll need somewhere between 366-636 points ($39,162 - $68,052 initial purchase, plus MFs) , depending on when you intend to go and what you would like to look at. (And given the very small percentage (<10%) of rooms that are Standard price, I would NOT count on getting one of those every time -- budget off lake view or MK view.) If you plan on going every other year, through the magic of banking and borrowing, you can make this work with half that. And if you only want to go every third year, you could do this with between 122-212 points.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds complicated. Sooo........you recieve an alotted amount of points per year but you would need to purchase additional points to get added ammenities, is that right? I take it you're a member, is it worth it to you?

It isn't really that complicated, once you get used to. You would determine what resort you want, what type rooom you would most likely use (studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc.), how often you want to go, and approximately how many points your plans would require. Once you purchase the points, then you are set. You do not have to purchase additional points. However, the points only cover your room and parking. You pay for tickets and food like anyone staying at a resort. If your plans change for a certain year, you can bank your points and use them the next year. If you need more points in a given year, you can borrow from the next year. We have never purchased more points (although we may in the near future buy into another resort).

Here is how I see it. I added on at AKV 2 weeks ago. Selling price of $104 Follow the math.
$104 - $8 incentive= $96
$96- ($500 gift card incentive= $5 per point) $5= $91
$91- (100 SSR developers points rnted out already at $10 per point) $10= $81

$81 per point for brand new AKV KIDANI. I think BLT has to sweetin' the pot a bit. If you read the ads only a few rooms will have firework views and I think the monorails will be overcrowded at peak hours. Like I said, JMHO.

IMHO .....AKV is still certainly the better deal.:goodvibes

BLT will have 281 rooms....ownership till 2060.
20% MK views, 67% Lake views, 11% parking lot views.
$5 discount on $112. per pt...period.
Owners can start to make ressies 3/1/09....other resort owners 3/15/09.
Dues $3.67...(probably due to no excessive transportation needed).

The MF cost originally made me think about canceling our AKV contract and go with BLT until I did the math.

Using our current travel plans with what view cat. we would want at each resort it came out like this:

Dream season:

1 week AKV savannah view 1 bedroom: 234pt @ $4.85pp (est)= $1,134.90
1 week BLT lake view 1 bedroom: 276pt @ $3.67pp = $1,012.92

I know thats not completely apples to apples but close. Assuming the MF grow at the same rate the gap grows over time but not by much. By my calc. after ten years it goes from about a $120 diff. to $160. It will take a long time to overcome the $7000 buy in difference. I'm no mathematician but i think those numbers are right

So once we took out the MF it came down to the prime location with ugly rooms(IMO) of the BLT vs the much nicer resort and rooms of AKV(again IMO).

So we decided to keep our AKV contract and are hoping for poly in the future.

First I have no intention of buying at BLT or AKV for that fact niether appeal to me. However If I had to choose one it would be BLT because of where it is period.
BLT has one thing no other DVC has (right now) Location location location well three other things. Because of this I believe it could sell at a higher price than the rumor. Yes AKV is a btter deal but just like any neighborhood you can pick a house up move it to a different area and sell it for twice the price. There are currently three resorts around MK and there is no shortage of people willing to pay the super premium to stay in one.
Best example is WL very close to MK but does not get the same price. WL has it all except two things 1) a view 2) monorail. I would bet if Disney picked it up and moved it where one of the other three are it would get the same price easy.

Well, IMO, I think about it like this:

BLT; you can walk to the Magic Kingdom rather easy. However, at The Boardwalk Villas & The Beach Club Villas, you are within walking distance of 2 parks (Epcot & Hollywood Studios).

Really? My experience is that the monorails run every few minutes, like every five. The buses run every 30, and sometimes not that. Plus I find the bus ride, particularly to AKV, just takes longer.

But if you prefer it, great.
Just a little side note to Mississippian, whom I remember from YEARS ago to be one of the first to "create" the logo in his signature...IT'S HERE!!!! Can you BELIEVE IT?? Sorry, just remember you "back in the day" when this was all just a made up DIS rumor..cough..cough..

As far as preference, to each his own. I can tell you that for me, it's absolutely perfect for our family. A very short walk to MK, "attached" to CR, Monorail access, Chef Mickey's, I could go on and on.

But one of the biggest selling point IMHO is this. I'm sure it will be much easier for us to use our BLT points at all other DVC resorts and get availability at the 7 month window, than it will be for non-BLT owners to get in @ BLT @ the same window. I also believe that the resale value on BLT will be the highest of all DVC's, but hey, I'm not a fortune teller..just my opinion:lmao:

Just a little side note to Mississippian, whom I remember from YEARS ago to be one of the first to "create" the logo in his signature...IT'S HERE!!!! Can you BELIEVE IT?? Sorry, just remember you "back in the day" when this was all just a made up DIS rumor..cough..cough..

As far as preference, to each his own. I can tell you that for me, it's absolutely perfect for our family. A very short walk to MK, "attached" to CR, Monorail access, Chef Mickey's, I could go on and on.

But one of the biggest selling point IMHO is this. I'm sure it will be much easier for us to use our BLT points at all other DVC resorts and get availability at the 7 month window, than it will be for non-BLT owners to get in @ BLT @ the same window. I also believe that the resale value on BLT will be the highest of all DVC's, but hey, I'm not a fortune teller..just my opinion:lmao:
Lion Queen,

I made that logo on the very day that the Architect leaked the plans on the website. I guess it was about two years ago, maybe three.

I guess I need to update it with the new name!

Is it possible that the dues at BLT are low now because the resort is not open? Isn't it possible that there could be a big increase once the building is complete with all units declared and open?

We just bought AKV as well but haven't signed the paperwork yet...I've been wondering about switching to BLT, so thanks for the post.

fadedgirl, we have the paperwork for our AKV addon sitting on the downstairs table.

After much deliberation, we have decided to wait and see what happens. AKV has a good incentive right now, but honestly, even though we have stayed there and like the resort and the rooms, the location is really a minus.

BLT is much more attractive to us as a resort, but the incentive (or lack thereof) is a big ole thumbs down.

I just think that the AKV incentives will get sweeter, and/or BLT will offer something more worth our while, by Jan '09 or so. We don't really need/want the dev pts right now, or even need/want the addon until after Sept '09, so I think we are going to sit tight.

Anyone have experience with getting their deposit back? :laughing:

Kat, I still cannot decide what to do! I'm not sure the BLT has many redeeming "hanging out" qualities & I do like to relax at my resort at least a couple of days. I think I'd much prefer the activities and ambience at AKV versus BLT. And if they ever do build a Poly or GF, I can imagine a mass exodus from BLT and my points there being worth nada (as far as re-sale ability).

I've read on other threads that once you fax the cancellation that your credit card is credited within a week.

Oh this is just an awful decision. I also think they'll have more incentives on BLT soon, so if I decide against AKV, I also would not buy at BLT right away.

Well, IMO, I think about it like this:

BLT; you can walk to the Magic Kingdom rather easy. However, at The Boardwalk Villas & The Beach Club Villas, you are within walking distance of 2 parks (Epcot & Hollywood Studios).

:ssst: :ssst: :ssst:
Shuuuush... don't tell everyone....let em' all move west to BLT:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Looking at the new point chart, I have no interest at all in BLT. AKV wins hands down and I agree that BWV and BCV have the best locations.

Is it possible that the dues at BLT are low now because the resort is not open? Isn't it possible that there could be a big increase once the building is complete with all units declared and open?

yes, i would expect dues to move more in line with the other hotel-type DVCs, but that's all speculation at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter