• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Black Friday - Walmart Strike?

Minerva Mouse

DIS Veteran
Anyone heard this? Do we have any Walmart employees here? Imagine the mass chaos this would cause, and I can't see it ending well. Thoughts?

My guess is the hype will fall well short of reality.

Geoff_M said:
My guess is the hype will fall well short of reality.

This. Walmart employees have very little protections and a lot of states are at will employment. Any employee who strikes has a good chance of being fired on the spot.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

This. Walmart employees have very little protections and a lot of states are at will employment. Any employee who strikes has a good chance of being fired on the spot.

And given the high unemployment in many places, Walmart would have little to no problem finding people to step in. Obviously, new staff would need to be trained, so there would still be issues, but not ones that the company couldn't overcome to keep open.

That was kinda my feeling on the subject as well. I guess we'll find out tonight. I just can't imagine being at Walmart tonight doing some black Friday shopping (which I don't do, so I won't be there) and having most if not all of the employees walk out the door. Like black Friday isn't crazy enough!

I'm striking. As a consumer. I am refusing to go out and shop.

This is the only way to change things. Walmart is just doing what all their competitors are doing, because this is what millions of shoppers want.

And if you don't want to work Thanksgiving (or other holidays) don't work in an industry that requires it. And I feel I can say this as I sit at work right on, my 33rd consecutive Thanksgiving working, at least the 33rd straight for my wife.

My niece works for Walmart. I talked to my brother and asked if she planned to "strike". He said heck no, she's scheduled for 7 to 7 and this is the only week of the year that they are allowed overtime.

I guess I don't really get all the fuss. I mean, yes it is Thanksgiving but when we still had K-Marts around here, they were always open Thanksgiving. This was even when I was way back in High School, so yes it was RARE that they were open but heck the grocery stores have been open for Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember!

What is the difference between a Wal-Mart opening later on Thanksgiving or a grocery store closing early on Thanksgiving? Both have to work on that day. Our Wal-Marts ARE grocery stores too plus one is open 24 hours just some other stores. Even our McDonald's is open 24 hours.

I guess it depends on what time you eat your meal...we always tend to have Thanksgiving meal as lunch -- this year we are eating at 1 pm. My daughter has to go to work at 8:30 pm. We will definitely be completely done with Thanksgiving by that time (I'm pretty sure my mom will be start hinting it is time for us to go by 4 pm...I'm sure we will all be out of there by 5 pm!!) All the grandkids will have gotten on their nerves by then. They live in a small house and it gets crowded and crazy after while. Cousins start fighting, etc...

Speaking as someone who has worked retail for over thirty years, I'm glad that people are paying attention to the fact that we are losing touch with what some holidays are about. I have worked over thirty BFs, and the past few years have become crazier and crazier to work. I remember one BF about three years ago when I actually was afraid I was going to get trampled as shoppers pushed their way past the mgr. opening the doors at 4 a.m.
I'm lucky that this year the retail store I work p/t for is not opening until 6 a.m. tomorrow. I know some will say that other professions always work holidays, but I really don't see getting a good price on a pre-lit Christmas tree or an electronic device as being important enough to keep people away from spending time with their families.
Just my .02 cents

Speaking as someone who has worked retail for over thirty years, I'm glad that people are paying attention to the fact that we are losing touch with what some holidays are about.

Unfortunately, that shipped sailed long ago....I can't think of a single holiday that everyone comes together and says ENOUGH....every retail place is to be closed unless it is in an area that has Blue Book laws still.

There is always at least some retail store, restaraunt, movie theatre, grocery store, airport, gas station, etc... open on every single holiday I can think of.

I actually think it is BETTER for them to open earlier on Thanksgiving as then you won't have the stampede effect you are talking about as much..if the store is open all the time or open at say 9 pm and doesn't close...then you aren't going to have the ones that want to get up at 4 am...more people probably aren't going to leave to line up at the store ON Thanksgiving for a 9 pm opening vs. coming at 1 or 2 AM to line up for the 4 AM opening. I'm thinking it will make the flow less of a herd. I could be wrong but that is how I see it...longer hours...less people trying to cram in all at once. Who knows...there really is never a good way to avoid it all unless you just don't advertise the Black Friday specials.

I do wonder how that would work..I mean with smart phones the stories would fly quickly on deals...so you could avoid the mass rush with people being trampled but you would still get lots of shoppers since the news would spread in a FLASH if you had some super great Black Friday deal and people would be coming in to try and get that.

Thankful to live in a state with blue laws still on the books, although the retailer that I work for is keeping all of their stores closed until 6 a.m. tomorrow;)

I'm striking. As a consumer. I am refusing to go out and shop.

amen2that.GIF

I won't be shopping tonight but I think the whole strike thing is ridiculous. Work retail, thats how it is.
If you don't want to work holidays, find a different profession.

I worked many Thanksgivings and Christmas's, in my profession. Thats how it is. I knew that going in, just like retail workers should.

Now that I've been at my job for over 25 years, I finally snagged a position with weekends and holidays off, but I missed many dinners and family stuff over the years.

This is the only way to change things. Walmart is just doing what all their competitors are doing, because this is what millions of shoppers want.

And if you don't want to work Thanksgiving (or other holidays) don't work in an industry that requires it. And I feel I can say this as I sit at work right on, my 33rd consecutive Thanksgiving working, at least the 33rd straight for my wife.

Well, I don't know about that. You do what you have to do and it is often with no choice.
(and I have worked my share (25 years+) of holidays as a floor nurse and didn't gripe about it) Now I am in an office! :)

Speaking as someone who has worked retail for over thirty years, I'm glad that people are paying attention to the fact that we are losing touch with what some holidays are about. I have worked over thirty BFs, and the past few years have become crazier and crazier to work. I remember one BF about three years ago when I actually was afraid I was going to get trampled as shoppers pushed their way past the mgr. opening the doors at 4 a.m.
I'm lucky that this year the retail store I work p/t for is not opening until 6 a.m. tomorrow. I know some will say that other professions always work holidays, but I really don't see getting a good price on a pre-lit Christmas tree or an electronic device as being important enough to keep people away from spending time with their families.
Just my .02 cents

I agree with this.

And as for my thoughts on the Walmart walk out, I have many.
I am old enough to remember when stores were closed on Sundays. And over the years family life has taken a back seat to corporations and the all mighty dollar.
In my opinion that was the beginning of much of what we are seeing now as far as people mattering less and less. There are arguments to be made all around and I get that. Everyone has their own thoughts and these are mine.
Very few people these days are willing and / or able to take a stand in order to make any kind of impact or change. If you do you are labeled a whiner or a trouble maker or word/phrase of your choice.
Good luck to those willing to take a stand for what they believe in. It will take years for change to be made and most people can't see beyond the tip of their own nose nowadays.

Im sure there is enough workers who will want to work holidays. I heard that target employees, a lot of them volunteer to work holidays. I worked every single holiday for the past 5 years... christmas, new years eve, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc. I must say, i really enjoy the OT pay we get...

I work retail, and I think the sympathy is misplaced. Most of us know going in we will work some crazy hours. It is part of the job. Where is the sympathy because we have to work weekends and miss that time with our families? Why is there no outcry over that?

I really don't get the whole They deserve to spend time with their family argument. The people that fly airplanes don't deserve that time? The ones who work at WDW don't? Do any of the other thousands of jobs that require working on holidays somehow not deserve that time with their families?

I thought the strike was more about benefits and safety (didn't an employee die one year from a stamped of consumers?) and the workers decided to have the strike when it would hurt the retail giant the most, black Friday. :confused3

I thought the strike was more about benefits and safety (didn't an employee die one year from a stamped of consumers?) and the workers decided to have the strike when it would hurt the retail giant the most, black Friday. :confused3

I believe it's about unsafe conditions in the warehouse and never getting enough hours to qualify for benefits. they are picking black Friday as the day it will have the most impact. Since many are unable to strike because they are in a right to work state many customers are planning to avoid Walmart in solidarity with the workers. Personally, I'm passing on the whole black Friday thing and focusing on buying American and patronizing the small mom and pop type places for this Christmas season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter