• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Black Friday Experiences?

Dashofsunshine, my dad and I also went to Kohl's this morning around 11am and the line was crazy! My dad changed his mind quickly about the pajamas he had and we got out of there. I went to Kmart later and thanks to surprise points got a wonderful deal on a parka and 2 Christmas Stockings. Kmart was busy but nothing like Kohl's!

ETA: Target did not offer the 10% off Target Store GC's as I posted in another thread this morning. I was able to get the 20% of coupon by purchasing $75(+ actually) on Disney Gift Cards. The coupon is valid starting on the 4th. That 20% excludes all GC's.

Kohl's was nuts!!! I knew it would be busy but I'd never imagined that. Even a few years ago when we went for Walmart doorbusters, they had like all 20 registers open so it didn't take too long. I'd never seen a line as long as the one at Kohl's, and I worked retail for 10 years :scared: they had all their registers open but there's only like 5-7 of them, and some people were buying like 20 things. I saw one woman who had what appeared to be every small kitchen appliance in the store in her cart. Lol, we were like, bye!

Our Walmart only had about 10 of the tvs advertised and were out of them within 30 min according to my niece who was there. She said they had the aisles blocked off and the only items you could buy were the ones in the ad, sounds dumb to me..but I don't shop Thanksgiving or Black Friday, I'm waiting for Cyber Monday. We tried to get one of the tvs online yesterday and they didn't have them on the website either, so we'll find one another time.

Ds worked last night and their store had pallets of the 70", 50" and 32". We only wanted a 32" (has to fit the hole in the built in lol) and got the last one for a few dollars less than advertised. People everywhere had the 50" in their buggies at noon and there were still some on the pallet. Didn't see many people with the 70" but saw them on the pallet.

Tools, toys and all kinds of "door busters" were still all over the store.

Ds said he has seen busier nights on a regular weekend night.

We bought a car. We traded in our PT Cruiser and got a 2014 Nissan Altima. It's red, it's gorgeous, it's got low mileage and we were able get a great deal on it.

If you wouldn't mind, how much did you pay for the Altima? And how many miles on it?

We may be interested in getting one too. They are really nice and get good gas mileage.

Last edited:
Went to Walmart last night... and tonight. It was not bad at all. Didn't end up buying much, just stuff I needed. A lot of the blitz items were still available last night like 7pm. Tonight a lot of stuff was gone, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. Tonight was no more crowded than a typical Friday night.

we were out shopping at 8am this morning the stores were packed. we waited for almost two hours to check out at kohl's toys r us was also nuts. the only two stores that were not bad were target and old navy. we did not do walmart. I came home and placed a bunch of orders on amazon and children's place and justice. I am done shopping for the kids they will have three gifts to open in Disney and six gifts to open when we get home.

I wasn't planning to go out but around 4pm we realized that our microwave was dead. With lots of Thanksgiving leftovers to be eaten this weekend we realized we needed a new one ASAP! Actually DH wanted to just one order online but I really wanted to be able to see and touch and try them out. So around 5pm we headed out. Kohls was busy and the lines to check out were about 20 deep on each side of the store. Lots of people holding baby clothes. Very glad they didn't have any microwaves because I didn't want to stand in that line!

We also went to Macy's, Target, HH Gregg and Bed Bath and Beyond. All were not nearly as busy as I thought they would be (and they didn't have much for microwaves). Finally want to Best Buy, it was definitely crowded but check out was empty. We found a microwave, DH did a quick look around to see if there was anything else we needed and we checked out quickly.

The biggest problem we had was the fact that the people who were out in the evening were not the "serious shoppers". They were the casual browsers that were stopping to look at everything and chatting in the middle of the aisles. This did not work well with my commando style "Get out of my way, I have cold stuffing and potatoes and need a microwave NOW!" Had to do a lot of dodging and weaving and kept losing DH behind me. Slowed us down so much that we had to divert to Chick fil a for dinner.

Thanksgiving-- it's what's for breakfast!

Anyone else that went to a mall last night notice a ton of kids? We saw a lot of little ones, as well as a ton of high schoolers just hanging out. I think if it had been morning openings still, there would have been a lot less of that.

If you wouldn't mind, how much did you pay for the Altima? And how many miles on it?

We may be interested in getting one too. They are really nice and get good gas mileage.
It was a 2014. We paid 13,349. We got it at Hertz rent a car. No haggle pricing. They gave us a great trade in and a great warrantee.

I never thought I would go shopping on Thanksgiving but I went out twice. Once to market to get blueberry pie and after company left my daughter who is 18 really wanted Beats wireless speaker at Target and my hubby said he wouldn't mind if we went. I don't want to make that a habit though....I would rather go out on Friday morning.

Dh and I didn't leave the house until nearly 8:00am this morning. i wanted to see if I could find a deal on a few toys and some clothes for the grandkids. We hit toys r us first, saved about $7 on one toy and couldn't find the other we wanted. Wasn't too busy. Ran to Home Depot and they were out of poinsettias, left without buying anything. Then went to JC Penny's and bought some clothes for grandkids. Then went to breakfast and stopped at Walmart after that. Got some clothes/pj's. Walmart was out of the DVD player I wanted so I checked online and they had it at another store. I bought it online and we have to pick it up in the next town next week. I went online last night and got some stuff from kohl's. No way was I facing their netoriously long checkout today. Stopped at lowes and got a Christmas tree. Overall a fun day and bought a few things a little cheaper than usual but no crazy great deals or anything. But no crowds either so it was worth it, lol!

Anyone else that went to a mall last night notice a ton of kids? We saw a lot of little ones, as well as a ton of high schoolers just hanging out. I think if it had been morning openings still, there would have been a lot less of that.
I don't get why people have their young kids out in that mess

Ds worked last night and their store had pallets of the 70", 50" and 32". We only wanted a 32" (has to fit the hole in the built in lol) and got the last one for a few dollars less than advertised. People everywhere had the 50" in their buggies at noon and there were still some on the pallet. Didn't see many people with the 70" but saw them on the pallet.

Tools, toys and all kinds of "door busters" were still all over the store.

Ds said he has seen busier nights on a regular weekend night.

We were actually looking for the 40" one they had advertised..daughter said she saw only a couple and they were grabbed instantly :(

I went out to our local Walmart to get cookie baking supplies at about 9am and it was D-E-A-D. I got some of the $3 socks and undies for my kids.

Later, when DH woke up(he works 3rd shift) we went to Sports Authority for the football receiver gloves that were 50% off(he plays in a flag football league). The ramp off the Thruway to Crossgates Mall in Albany was full and we had to circumvent the whole mall to get to the plaza across from it. The mall lot was INSANE. I don't even want to know what it was like inside. Apparently our Sports Authority is closing so everything was 40% MORE off than the lowest price so we got some good deals and it wasn't very busy.

Online I bought some Bare Minerals kits for myself that I wanted. Ulta has $10 ones...There was storybook something or other kit that is supposedly a $200+ value for $50 at Macy's. If most of the products are full sized it will be worth it. It didn't really say in the description though so here's to hoping! We also bought the kids Rock Band for PS4 for under $200. Not an amazing deal but we saved like $30 I think.

Darn it....I forgot about PetSmart. They had a 35 lb bucket of Tidy Cat kitty litter for $7.99 this morning. I don't remember if it was a limited hours special.

Plus all animals were half-price. There was this white ball python for $429 that I could have gotten for $215. ;)
I wish I would have known about that one! DS and DH have been wanting a snake but this FL girl refuses to pay NY prices for reptiles! (I'm not huge on buying animals from PetSmart either but for that price...)

We were actually looking for the 40" one they had advertised..daughter said she saw only a couple and they were grabbed instantly :(

Not sure about that one. They had so dang many on sale! I hate when they advertise something and then only have a small number. Ds said hat Best Buy was killing them on electronics. I said they should have more toys on sale.

We have two Walmarts in town. One by the mall, BB and Toysrus. The other in a not so great part of town. Ds said they put more of the huge TVs and the big battery operated kids cars and trucks in his store (the second one) because they sell more there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter