Black Friday Experiences?

I did all my shopping online. I've been looking for an electric pressure cooker and found one at Wal Mart I wanted so I ordered that Thanksgiving morning. I also found my son $60 shoes he likes for $25 from Finish Line. I only wear Work pants from JCPenneys and they had them on sale for $15 so I picked up a few pairs along with some sheets and cheap pajama pants for my son. I know I picked up some stuff from Amazon too but can't remember what it was. My favorite deal was from GAP. I love their jeans and they had a 50% off code. So with that and the $15 in rewards I had, I got 2 pairs of $70 jeans for $55.

Didn't get much in the way of deals save for Christmas presents for my Dad (a Pebble smartwatch), a designer handbag for my Mum and a 3D Blu Ray player for my brother. So worth it in the end :)

Everything was fine except Kohl's. I got DD a practice suit for swimming at the swim shop, got gift cards at Target to get my 20% off coupon, and then hit Kohl's. I found something that's hard to find (Amiibos for Splatoon for my 10 year old) and checked to see if Kohl's had them online--nope). So I waited about an hour in the line. I was cranky and hungry and won't do it again but all things considered my shopping went well.

I did most of my shopping online Tuesday morning, Target had a 20% off toys code that I used to get most of what I wanted for DD. One item on top of her list was $249! Got it at Target for $80 when all was said and done! (cheaper price than anywhere else plus code and free shipping).

Then got a bunch of stuff online Thursday night...(most of my list of what to buy +two donation gifts that we always give)...

Friday am I headed out to Michaels for their 30% off purchase sale, then to Sears and Kmart. I missed some stuff at Walmart and Target, but I can honestly live without them... ;)

Stuff is already shipping too!!! :)

Not sure about that one. They had so dang many on sale! I hate when they advertise something and then only have a small number. Ds said hat Best Buy was killing them on electronics. I said they should have more toys on sale.

We have two Walmarts in town. One by the mall, BB and Toysrus. The other in a not so great part of town. Ds said they put more of the huge TVs and the big battery operated kids cars and trucks in his store (the second one) because they sell more there.

We live in a fairly small town. We have one Walmart Supercenter, which is attached to one end of the Mall, other than Sears, they have no competition for tvs around here. I hate it too that they advertise things they either don't get, or have very few of :(. If we want more stores, or better choices, it's more than a 45 min drive to get to them, not what I want to do on Thanksgiving or Black Friday!

My local mall was a madhouse. My mother and I arrived at the mall around 5AM (we've noticed there's a lull around 4-8AM). JCPenney's wasn't bad and had some really good sales; I got a cute pair of boots for close for less than $20 (originally $90). The Disney Store was busy, but the CMs had everything super organized and kept the checkout lines moving.

Bath and Body Works was a whole 'nother story. They designed the line so that it snaked around the entire store, though the workers were not entirely sure where exactly the line ended. They would direct you to one end of the store only to say five minutes later that the line ended elsewhere. It was crowded, and the snaked line made if difficult to shop without getting in other people's way. Of course, there were also a few people who thought it would be genius to have one "representative" wait in the 60+ minute line while the rest of the party shopped, only for all of them to return when the representative got closer to the front and then have everyone within the party check out separately (I personally would have no issues if it was all one transaction, but if you want to check out separately, wait your turn like the rest of us).

We then went to Target. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I found a Fitbit charge HR (only two were left when I got there around 7-7:30AM) for $30 off. They were already all out of the Fitbit flexes, and I didn't want to gamble with Kohl's running out also, so I treated myself to the HR. They still had a lot of the doorbuster TVs and Beats headphones, and the checkout lines moved quickly. The only issues were that people left empty carts all over the store, which made it difficult to find available carts (I didn't want to risk taking an empty cart only to find out it was someone's). By the time that we left the mall, it was starting to get uncomfortably busy.

Kohl's wasn't too bad. They were out of the flexes also, but were well-stocked otherwise. The checkout line also moved pretty quickly (it was less than 15 minutes).

Once we got home, I saw that Lauren's Hope was running a 15% off promotion (including sale items), so I was able to get a beautiful engraved medical ID bracelet and dog tag for less than $100 (I've been wearing one bracelet from them daily for close to two years, and it's still going strong).

Next year, I might do online shopping instead (or avoid Bath and Body Works like the plague). The mall was way too busy, and I noticed that many of the places had similar sales online.

I did my Black Friday shopping in Rochester, NY. Got to the mall about 6am and did Penney's first which wasn't bad - maybe akin to a slow Saturday. Then did my annual Bath & Body Works haul - I get lots of gifts and stock up on items for my own house for the year. It's the only day of the year they let you combine all your coupons and everything is buy 3 get 3 free, mix and match anything. I got 10 hand soaps, 8 wallflowers, a wallflower wall unit, 4 3-wick candles, and 12 body washes/lotions/sprays, plus the $20 VIP tote full of goodies. My total was $210 but with my coupons, got it down to $150 which was a great deal for me considering all I got. Love that sale! After that, we hit Michael's (4 for $10 candles and then a 30% off coupon!), Macy's, Dick's, Old Navy. Then headed over to K-Mart and Best Buy. We were home by 11am. Overall, crowds were low but we noticed them growing the later it got in the morning. It seems like we come between the diehard shoppers who are out all night and the casual shoppers who start mid-morning, so early morning is a good time to go for lower crowds and great deals.

Shopping for my DD and I took place on Thursday after we all ate our Thanksgiving meal. Started at JC Penney's @ 3pm, where my DD probably saved at least $75 on a new hair straightener and I got a set of 3 casserole dishes for less than $5! Then we headed to Best Buy and waited in our car until just before 4pm. We bought mostly dvd's there and had to watch the checkout process like a hawk because everything was ringing up at the regular price. After that we headed to Walmart (this was the only place that was semi crowded. DD was after queen size sheets which she finally found and more dvd's.

Once we were done there, we headed out to our outlet malls (about 30 miles away). It is now about 6:30pm -- DD loves J Crew but will only buy from them on Black Friday. She was able to buy a beautiful dress-up coat for a little over $100 that she should be able to wear for years. Bought a couple of tops too. Then we walked the mall and ended up at Lucky Brand Jeans (another one we only shop at on BF). Entered to win a free pair of jeans and looked around.

Took off for the second outlet mall and shopped at J Crew there too. They had the same coat one size larger, so she swapped out and now has a more comfy fit. Strolled the mall and didn't find anything, so started heading home. Phone rings and it is Lucky Brand saying we won a free pair of jeans!!! Score big since they are $79.50 each!

Finally headed home and were in bed before midnight. Second round of shopping was done once we woke up on Friday morning. All in all a good experience and the crowds weren't very big at all. We have been doing this for years now and usually end up getting most of our Xmas shopping done. Makes for a fun Xmas morning when we know almost everything under the tree we just have fun acting surprised :-)

I went out to our local Walmart to get cookie baking supplies at about 9am and it was D-E-A-D. I got some of the $3 socks and undies for my kids.

Later, when DH woke up(he works 3rd shift) we went to Sports Authority for the football receiver gloves that were 50% off(he plays in a flag football league). The ramp off the Thruway to Crossgates Mall in Albany was full and we had to circumvent the whole mall to get to the plaza across from it. The mall lot was INSANE. I don't even want to know what it was like inside. Apparently our Sports Authority is closing so everything was 40% MORE off than the lowest price so we got some good deals and it wasn't very busy.

Online I bought some Bare Minerals kits for myself that I wanted. Ulta has $10 ones...There was storybook something or other kit that is supposedly a $200+ value for $50 at Macy's. If most of the products are full sized it will be worth it. It didn't really say in the description though so here's to hoping! We also bought the kids Rock Band for PS4 for under $200. Not an amazing deal but we saved like $30 I think.
I think all of the sports authority's are closing the one in Kingston is also closing

12301482_10207117617791215_5740742215387430496_n.jpg

I was in walmart grocery shopping tonight and they still had a bunch of the big TV's left and some other stuff like kids pj's.

To those of you that have Kmart, be sure to check your shop your way rewards account every few days or maybe more right now. Yesterday, I had a complete surprise of being immediately discounted $20 in surprise points that I had (I had thought I would get a $20 credit for my next purchase). I much prefer immediate! Today I got $11 in surprise points on clothing. I have some other offers too I probably won't use but be aware of your points. Also as an FYI, if you ever find a coupon you like under deals and coupons and you don't have a smart phone like me, be sure and print it out. It does not work always when loaded to your card.

Kohl's so far yesterday was the most crowded anywhere!

Congrats to whoever got a new red car btw :)

I'm happy for those of you who got deals too. I'm not a shopping fan but try to shop smart and the savings really do add up!

I picked up the kitty litter....people were buying a ton! Who knew that Cat Litter would be a black friday fight sale lol

I was at PetSmart before work about 715am yesterday for the kitty litter. It wasn't very crowded, but practically everybody there was buying it. I bought two. They had about 10 pallets of it near the inside Banfield vet center. I overheard a store employee saying there was more in the backroom.

Last night I went to Shop Rite, a regional supermarket, for their Black Friday (and Saturday) specials. 8 ounce Hatfield ham steaks were 5 for $5 (must buy 5). They're usually about $2.99, but often go on sale for about $2. And almost all varieties of K-cups were $4.99 each if you bought 5. Limit two offers so I bought 10 for $49.90. 10 different kinds, including some I've never tried before. That should last us maybe a week. ;)

Who need a large screen TV when I can get such great deals on kitty litter, ham, and coffee? :teeth:

The biggest problem we had was the fact that the people who were out in the evening were not the "serious shoppers". They were the casual browsers that were stopping to look at everything and chatting in the middle of the aisles. This did not work well with my commando style "Get out of my way, I have cold stuffing and potatoes and need a microwave NOW!" Had to do a lot of dodging and weaving and kept losing DH behind me. Slowed us down so much that we had to divert to Chick fil a for dinner.

!

Many reports I've read over the years said that fewer than 50% of the people in mall/big box stores on BF actually buy anything. Probably not true when stores first open, but over the course of the whole day, yeah, I believe it. There are always TV news reports from inside the mall and many people are walking around empty handed.

Last edited:
I went to Target on Thursday night and got there ten minutes after they opened. No problem finding a parking space, or one of the doorbuster tvs or any of the other advertised items I wanted. There was also no line at the checkout, and I was able to be in and out within an hour, which most of the time spent mulling over which cheap dvds I wanted, a great selection for $2 or $4 each, which makes them cheaper than renting.

Then Friday afternoon I went to Bon-Ton, still lots of doorbusters in stock, and was able to get some really good deals. A little crowded when I first got there, but it cleared up by the time I left.

How is everyone's shopping going?

I ordered some stuff online yesterday, and then my mom and I ventured to Penny's around 6:30 to walk off some food since it's a block away. Found parking pretty easy, and the store wasn't too insane. Ended up deciding to buy what seems like an entire new kitchen from the 9.99 small appliances, and then some pots and pans. Add in a few clothes. I was planning on buying a pair of jeans, whoops! We dragged that back to the car, and then went back for the mall. It wasn't too bad, until we hit Macy's. Crazy busy.

Spent about 4 hours or so total at the mall just looking around. By the end of the night it had gotten crazy busy (was open until 1am). We then made a stop at McDonald's Tea and a muffin before hitting up Michael's. It wasn't very busy at all in there around 11:45. Finally got back home around 12:45. I have plenty to return because I got better deals in store than what I had decided to order online ahead of time. Whoops!

Today we went out and had lunch, then hit up petsmart for the girls.

Completely, off topic, but I just had to say congratulations on being up and around so well! I remember your post from just a couple of weeks ago on the disabled parking thread when you were still only hobbling around because of your surgery. How great that you are already walking for hours on end!

Out Target had all the door busters still in stock an hour and a half after opening. It was busy but not nuts. Didn't have any lines at any of the stores I went to. I did do a lot of my shopping online, but there were things I wanted I could only get in store. I hit dicks, ulta, justice, Michaels and target. None of which were nuts.

We shopped online on Thursday and Friday because we were at Disney World.

On Thursday, we ordered everything we wanted from Ulta. On Friday, we managed to score some blu rays from Target without leaving my bed at Saratoga Springs. We just got back this morning and ran to Wal-Mart for groceries. Grabbed some more blu-rays but were shocked by how much they still had - TVs, good deals, etc.

Guess BF isn't quite what it used to be.

I bought from Costco online a Dyson stick vacuum I'd been eyeing for awhile. On Amazon we got a great deal on a Fire tablet for my older son. He wanted an ipod so he could play his music and audiobooks when he wants to and this was a much cheaper option. I didn't want to go out shopping since the weather was awful but my dh did so we went out while my sister was taking our sons to visit grandma and grandpa. The mall parking lot was very crowded but after driving around for awhile we got lucky and found someone pulling out right in front of the entrance. The checkout lines were long but if you went to the less popular departments such as mens dress wear you didn't have to wait in long lines. We got from JC Penny a great deal on the suitcase my sister wanted for Christmas. At Macys we got my dh some dress shirt, Star Wars shirts for the boys (we're surprising the boys with a trip to Disney Tuesday so we plan to pack them as a surprise to wear the day we plan to do Jedi Academy), and a food processor for me. My dh later took the kids to Best Buy and got a great deal on a PS4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter