• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday Celebration Disney Style! DDP Review: Complete!

Hollywood studios today. It was the last day of ESPN weekend and it was crowded, but I knew exactly where to go for lunch: Starring Rolls.

Both of us chose the turkey focaccia sandwich. I enjoyed this sandwich so much! It was filled with heaps of fresh turkey, lettuce, and seasoned mayo. The meal also came with a bag of chips which we saved for later.

100_0247.jpg

100_0251.jpg

I chose the red velvet cupcake for dessert. This was very good. The red velvet cake was covered in cream cheese icing with a dollop of cheese cake in the center and a sprinkling of toffee bits. All the cupcakes here look amazing. I’ve had the chocolate peanut butter cupcake before; it's really great too.

100_0249.jpg

My sister choice the banana split. This was her favorite treat of the trip. She said it was a delicious banana pudding with banana, vanilla cake pieces, and a chocolate graham layering. She loved it!

100_0248.jpg

Starring Rolls is my favorite CS in Hollywood Studios:thumbsup2

We had a reservation for La Hacienda tonight, but were feeling too tired to head back out, so we canceled and decided on an in room pizza delivery.
I know some people complain about the Disney pizza, but I think it’s pretty good. We chose extra cheese with pepperoni. The delivery came with two desserts and a liter of soda. Carrot cake and chocolate cake were our dessert choices.

100_0252.jpg

Here’s an extra pic: We bought make your own Mickey rice crispy treats at Goofy’s. One dipped in milk chocolate, Oreo crumbs, and dark/white chocolate chips -with milk chocolate drizzle; one dipped in dark chocolate and Oreo crumbs - with dark chocolate drizzle; and one dipped in milk chocolate, Oreo crumbs, and peanuts - with white chocolate drizzle.

100_0255.jpg

100_0249.jpg

My sister choice the banana split. This was her favorite treat of the trip. She said it was a delicious banana pudding with banana, vanilla cake pieces, and a chocolate graham layering. She loved it!

100_0248.jpg

Starring Rolls is my favorite CS in Hollywood Studios:thumbsup2
YUM! I have been watching for months to see this Banana Split reviewed. I really wanted to try it this past trip but didnt. I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for the review!!

Joining in too! I LOVE flan as well. Crystal Palace has coconut flan that is TO DIE FOR good :)

Thanks for the tip! I might have to add Crystal Palace to our next trip:)

I swear that Snickers Cheesecake is making my mouth water.

Mine too; it was sooo good!

YUM! I have been watching for months to see this Banana Split reviewed. I really wanted to try it this past trip but didnt. I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for the review!!

You're welcome! My sister really loved it. She still brings it up. LOL!

Just read through all of your reviews and loved them! That cupcake from Starring Rolls looks AMAZING. Can't wait to read more! :yay:

Happy Birthday to me! I figured turning a quarter of a century was reason enough to plan a trip to Disney (though who am I kidding…I’ll use any excuse;)), and truly this was the best birthday ever.:thumbsup2

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I knew exactly where to go for great meal. Kona Café – it was our first time eating here, but I’d seen the pictures. My sister and I had decided that we would each order a different dish then split them in half and share.

What did we order? Tonga Toast and the Big Kahuna of course!

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg

Everything was so good. The breakfast potatoes were seasoned perfectly, and the ham and sausage were really great. I can’t decide which was my favorite from the plate…it’s a tie between the tonga toast and macadamia nut pancakes. The pancakes were absolutely delicious with the pineapples, nuts, and syrup, but the tonga toast was amazing too – sweet with banana pieces and strawberry sauce. Yummy!

It was a great meal! Our server brought these babies out with the check for my birthday- very nice of him.

100_0258.jpg

I will definitely be returning to Kona again. I think this will be a must do each trip!

I was ready for a snack later that day in EPCOT, so I tried the red white and blue slurpy from the American snack cart. I almost got a jalapeño pretzel instead, and was sorry that I didn’t (they are very good).

100_0264.jpg

In the drink, the red and blue is ice and the white is ice-cream. I ended up liking the drink better once I mixed it all together; then it tasted like a Rita's misto.

My sister grabbed an apple tart from France. That wasn’t the best either. It was cold and kinda dry. Not bad...just not that great.

100_0274.jpg

For dinner we ate at the Riverside Mill Food court. We both got build your own pasta. Linguine, alfredo, shrimp, mushroom, onion, and peas this time. Just as good as before.

100_0275.jpg

Carrot cake for dessert again for me. It is so much better than the fake little round cakes. I was glad to eat it again; yummy!

100_0276.jpg

Guess what my sister got…..a COOKIE!

100_0235.jpg

When we stayed at POR last year, I had the make-your-own-pasta three times over the course of our trip. I like how you can make it different each time!

I was so excited to go to the Magic Kingdom later that day. I love MK at night, and Wishes is my favorite show. :love:

Here’s a funny side story…on the way to the bus stop that night we stopped to admire the twilight river view at POR. Suddenly I noticed that it was really blurry, and I wondered aloud if my contact fell out. I poked at my eye…no contact…then realized I forgot to put them in that morning!! Who does that!? In hindsight I remember wondering earlier that day why the lights on spaceship earth were so dim that you couldn’t see. Duh! :rotfl2:

I had gone back and forth over reserving the wishes dessert part and I am so glad I did!! It was such an awesome experience. We had the best table in the house, the furthest in the front right under where tink flies over. The seats are reserved with name place cards…I think we scored such a great spot because I put my birthday celebration on the ressies. Awesome Disney magic.pixiedust:

The party was set up with two long buffet tables covered with desserts. No need to worry which side to line up on…the selection is the same both sides. There was also a drink station in the back with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soda, juice, and milk.

Here's a pic:

100_0303.jpg

The desserts were amazing! Oh my gosh…everything was so yummy. :cloud9: The stand-outs for me were the huge juicy chocolate covered strawberries, sweet custard crème brulee in a cute little cup, the most delicious banana crème pie tart ever, and the cannoli. Everything was so good. The only thing I didn’t like was the lime tart and mango shooter. It was a dessert lover’s dream. Cheese cake, home-made chocolate balls, donuts, cupcakes, tiramisu, chocolate peanut butter pie, rice crispy treats and cupcakes were constantly replenished by the CMs. It was a great party!

100_0304.jpg

100_0305.jpg

We stood for the show against the rail right in front of our table, sipping our milk and nibbling on a strawberry. It was great! By the way, if you haven’t seen the making memories pre-show yet, you are in for a treat! I loved it!!:thumbsup2

I am really enjoying your review. We are considering Kona for breakfast and the Dessert Party for our next trip and I think you may have just sold me on both! ;) Looks like you had a wonderful birthday trip. :thumbsup2

I also did the dessert party and had great seats.. My son has a peanut allergy and i let them know when I made the ressie.. They brought out a seperate tray for him with delicious desserts that he could have that were peanut free. Some of the desserts weren't even on the regular buffet.. the fireworks view was amazing :) and I was able to get a good video..

can't wait to read more :thumbsup2

That Snickers cheesecake and red velvet cupcake look amazing! :lovestruc Looking forward to more!

Thanks everyone for reading with me:goodvibes

We spent the morning in EPCOT on our last park day.
I was dying for a soft pretzel by this point - nearly the entire trip without one! I found a small stand by mission space selling them. It was warm and soft: so yummy!!

100_0334.jpg

Sis picked up an iced coffee at the ice-cream shop by the character spot. She proclaimed it the best drink ever.

100_0335.jpg

Lunch was at Via Napoli. I thought I was going to love this restaurant, but I just wasn’t feeling the vibe in there.

I chose the Quattro formaggi wood fired pizza. I really love white pizza, but this just wasn’t to my taste. The cheeses were greasy all together, and slightly bitter.

100_0367.jpg

Candele was my sister’s choice. She said it was pretty tasty with high quality sausage pieces and lots of cheese.

100_0366.jpg

We were disappointed that the fruit water was not included with the dining plan; I wanted to try it but wasn’t going to pay 5 dollars. It was weird too, the table next to ours received bread, but we didn’t? We didn’t really want any, so I didn’t ask, but we wondered if dining plan guests don’t get bread LOL!

For dessert I chose the ricotta cheese fritters. I didn’t really enjoy these either. I was expecting them to be warm, but they were cold and very dry. The chocolate sauce and whipped cream didn’t really help them out. I forgot to take a picture; sorry!

My sister chose the apple cake…she said it was OK. No complaints, just not amazing. It was cold with sweet apples and crumb cake.

100_0368.jpg

I really wanted to like Via Napoli, but I think we’ll skip it next trip.

I think VN is slipping...we ate there three times in Nov and it was fantastic...tried it again in Feb and we were not pleased with it.

Funny thing is in Nov out of three meals we never got bread but in Feb we did...except it was hard and dry and cold

Wow everything looks so good! Great review and great pics thank you so much for taking the time!

Okay, so apparantly I have not visited the dining review board all week! :scared1: It's been crazy busy around here. Anyhoo... I am loving your reviews.

We always stay at POR and love, love, love the food court! I totally agree on the create your own pasta & the carrot cake - :love: I also tried the magic bar on our last trip & ended up throwing most of it away. It just wasn't my thing.

I didn't know you could order apple juice at the CS meals. Good to know for our two younger DDs. They love juice & I don't buy it much at home because they chug-a-lug until it's gone. That will be a nice vacation treat for them, especially middle DD who is an "adult".

Was the red, white & blue slushie/ice cream drink a snack credit? That totally looks like something we'd like, especially on a hot day!

Wow everything looks so good! Great review and great pics thank you so much for taking the time!
thank you:)

I think VN is slipping...we ate there three times in Nov and it was fantastic...tried it again in Feb and we were not pleased with it.

Funny thing is in Nov out of three meals we never got bread but in Feb we did...except it was hard and dry and cold
I guess we didn't miss out then:laughing: It's too bad about this restaurant; I really was looking forward to it.

Okay, so apparantly I have not visited the dining review board all week! :scared1: It's been crazy busy around here. Anyhoo... I am loving your reviews.

We always stay at POR and love, love, love the food court! I totally agree on the create your own pasta & the carrot cake - :love: I also tried the magic bar on our last trip & ended up throwing most of it away. It just wasn't my thing.

I didn't know you could order apple juice at the CS meals. Good to know for our two younger DDs. They love juice & I don't buy it much at home because they chug-a-lug until it's gone. That will be a nice vacation treat for them, especially middle DD who is an "adult".

Was the red, white & blue slushie/ice cream drink a snack credit? That totally looks like something we'd like, especially on a hot day!
Thank you! The apple juice was only at Pecos Bills as far as I saw; I wish it was at all the CS. The slushy was a snack credit, and it was refreshing!!:)

I love Columbia Harbor House! :lovestruc We ate dinner here our last night.

Both of us chose the fried shrimp platter. This is sooo good! Large juicy shrimp in a light breading, with fries and cole slaw – it is my favorite CS meal.

100_0372.jpg

Here’s a pic of the apple crisp for dessert. I really enjoyed this too. The crust was delicious and the apples perfectly sweet and gooey! My sister said she thought it would be better with vanilla ice cream on top, but I liked it as served.

100_0373.jpg

A big thumbs up for Columbia Harbor House.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter