Bird attack experience

My female cockatoo hates my husband. She will jump down and chase him. She will bite him hard enough to hurt, but not break the skin...just a warning. She doesn't want him near me....because I am her person. She loves me. :crazy2:

Hee. This makes me smile. :goodvibes It boogles my mind that birds have such personalities :hyper: Now, I'm more scared. :lmao:

Oh, one more. We lived in a fairly wooded neighborhood when I was little. One night we were all sitting outside and we heard an owl. It would make its call, and then my dad would make the same noise. We noticed that it seemed to be getting closer. So this went on for a while between the owl and my dad until suddenly the thing flew down over us and up to a tree close by. That owl was huge and it was scary!!

I would have loved that! :thumbsup2

Y don't u just fight back... Like kick them or something

The males actually have really sharp spurs on their legs that you don't want to mess with.

Weird that they would chase someone though. I've never seen wild turkeys get that used to people. 'course we have two turkey seasons here, so they spend a lot of time trying not to get shot :rotfl:

Most birds will back off if you act aggressively towards them, so if a bird comes up to you at Disney begging - move towards them. And be serious about it, not tentative.

But don't try this with geese or swans. Those things will smack you right back.

On a somewhat related thread, near my house there is a roving pack of rapist ducks. They're mallards, and this species often forms "bachelor bands" that go off hunting for unprotected females in springtime. About twice a year they attack some poor female near my home and I drive them off.

Last summer we were in Epcot sitting on a bench eating a pretzel and a duck would not leave us alone. I wouldn't let my dds feed him but he wouldn't go away. Darn thing actually tried getting up into my lap -- scared the heck out of my. Rest of the family thought it was hysterical.

Last summer we were in Epcot sitting on a bench eating a pretzel and a duck would not leave us alone. I wouldn't let my dds feed him but he wouldn't go away. Darn thing actually tried getting up into my lap -- scared the heck out of my. Rest of the family thought it was hysterical.

Just kick it away lol

A nearby college has a pond with a couple of swans. I brought a loaf of bread to feed them (I know, I know….don’t feed the birds). I threw some bread in the water trying to coax them closer. Well they came to the edge of the water and got up out of the water….I wasn’t expecting the darn thing to be soooo big….I am 5’6” and it looked me right in the eye and kept coming. :eek: I couldn’t throw down pieces of bread fast enough so I threw down the entire loaf and ran away. :lmao: Luckily they didn’t chase after me but finished the loaf in just a few seconds and got back in the water. Meanwhile DH is standing there laughing at me.

One day years ago, I was making a call from a phone booth in Bodega Bay when seagulls crashed into the glass sides. It was scary.

That is the type of swan that tried to kill my son when he was 3. My mother was walking with my son and niece to get my mail. The swan was white and blended in with the snow. It attacked them. My mother had neuropathy and had lost the ability to use one of her feet. She got to him as fast as she could but with two 3 year olds it is hard. And there was snow on the ground. The bird was trying to pull him into the pond and drown him. Through his winter coat he had cracked ribs. He arm was so swollen the ER cut it off of him. His nose was broken and it was trying to gouge out his eyes. He looked a mess and to this day (he is 17 today) is leery of birds. And I don't blame him one bit.

Oh my gosh! How horrific! I'm so sorry for your son!

One time my friend and I were at a dog show. We were walking around outside looking at all the dogs and all of a sudden this bird flies (in a bee line) to my friend and stops right in front of her face and hovers there flapping his wings like crazy! It was so scary and hilarious at the same time. After a few seconds, she tried to get away, but it followed her and kept flapping in front of her face. I didn't even know they could do that! Finally she puts her hands over her face and kind of crouches down and it flew away. So weird! I have no idea why it did it to her and not anyone else.

Most birds will back off if you act aggressively towards them, so if a bird comes up to you at Disney begging - move towards them. And be serious about it, not tentative.

But don't try this with geese or swans. Those things will smack you right back.

On a somewhat related thread, near my house there is a roving pack of rapist ducks. They're mallards, and this species often forms "bachelor bands" that go off hunting for unprotected females in springtime. About twice a year they attack some poor female near my home and I drive them off.

Mallards are horrible. I've seen countless females killed.

huge bird stole a churro right out of my daughter's hand in Mexico/Epcot. We were sitting by the water just finishing out lunch. She has been so scared of birds since and has never asked for a churro again!

That is the type of swan that tried to kill my son when he was 3. My mother was walking with my son and niece to get my mail. The swan was white and blended in with the snow. It attacked them. My mother had neuropathy and had lost the ability to use one of her feet. She got to him as fast as she could but with two 3 year olds it is hard. And there was snow on the ground. The bird was trying to pull him into the pond and drown him. Through his winter coat he had cracked ribs. He arm was so swollen the ER cut it off of him. His nose was broken and it was trying to gouge out his eyes. He looked a mess and to this day (he is 17 today) is leery of birds. And I don't blame him one bit.

Swans are extremely territorial. Mutes and Trumpeters (the biggest) can and have killed children.

I can handle venomous reptiles better than birds. Except toucans. I really like toucans.

Swans are extremely territorial. Mutes and Trumpeters (the biggest) can and have killed children.

I can handle venomous reptiles better than birds. Except toucans. I really like toucans.

Toucans can, and will, bite the daylights out of you lol. They have serrated beaks like a steak knife. I love birds, including toucans, but they can hurt you!

I was riding in the front seat of a Chevette when a turkey smacked our windshield. That was interesting.

Same deal. I was parking when a chicken drumstick fell out of the sky and hit my car, which was promptly followed by seagulls smacking into the door I was opening.

Ugh :scared1:

Toucans can, and will, bite the daylights out of you lol. They have serrated beaks like a steak knife. I love birds, including toucans, but they can hurt you!

We have several. They only bite when we catch them. I can feed, clean, whatever and they don't attack. Flamingos are also good about keeping their distance.

We have several. They only bite when we catch them. I can feed, clean, whatever and they don't attack. Flamingos are also good about keeping their distance.

Cool. I work with tocos. If I'm taking too long to feed them, or if they want banana instead of papaya that day, etc. , I've gotten a good bite if I'm not careful.

Hee. This makes me smile. :goodvibes It boogles my mind that birds have such personalities :hyper: Now, I'm more scared. :lmao:

My huge male Moluccan looks intimidating, but is a big sweetheart. He chirps like a baby when he wants to cuddle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter