Bikes instead of GC

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
We are planning on using bikes instead of renting a golf cart. Are there places to park them at the dock and bus terminals to the parks? Should we plan to bring locks?

I'm curious about this too. We are headed down in April and hopefully bringing our bikes.

Yes, plenty of places to park them at all locations, such as the Meadows, Docks, Crockett's Tavern, Pioneer Hall, etc. While Disney is not known for crime, I would still bring one of those cable locks for bikes. The ones I use have the 4 digit code to unlock and eliminate the need for keys.

Like TiggerDad said, there are lots of places to lock up your bikes for the day. We often just found a tree or a spot along the wooden fence.

Absolutely take a cable lock. It doesn't have to be bullet proof. Just something that locks and makes it inconvenient to roll away with your stuff. I have always brought bikes down for me and my DS. I used to be a long distance cyclist and my bike is pretty expensive. ($4000+). I've always just used a plain cable lock and tie it to the camper wheel at night or the closest fence if I'm at the pool or a park. Never had any trouble.

Remember to pick up some cheap lights to clip on your clothes or the bike if you'll be riding back after dark. Fort rules technically require it, but it's a good idea so the crazies in the golf carts can see you. :duck:

j

We have always taken our bikes to the Fort, always locked them up when leaving them at the marina to take the boat to Magic Kingdom. We never locked them at the pool or campsite, and have never had an issue, at the campsite we generally put them behind our motorhome so that they are out of sight. We do have cheap bikes, I might be more careful if they were expensive.

just keep in mind, seems like every time we returned from the parks, it was pouring rain and miserable on bikes, we now rent GC all the time

just keep in mind, seems like every time we returned from the parks, it was pouring rain . . .

1) Sometimes, yes.
2) Especially about 3:00pm-5:00pm during the Summer months and Fall rainy months.
3) I worry, ever since a little girl and her dog dropped a house on my sister.

If it rains we just hop an internal bus and go back later or the next morning to get our bikes.

We rented a Golf Cart the first two trips to FW and then realized what a great place Fort Wilderness is to ride bikes. So now we always take our bikes, no more GC. As others have said, there are plenty of places to lock your bike(s). If it looks like it could be a rainy day we just use the inner Buses, they are very convenient. So Bikes for sure .... a whole lot cheaper and the exercise we get is a good thing too.
-Russ

Most of the time we just used a cable lock between the two bikes. My bike is pretty unique and it would be easily identified if someone were draggin it around with my wifes Trek.
We quit hauling the golf cart 2 years ago and have used the bikes. The ride is fun and the exercise while looping is a bonus.
The LED head and tail lamps are inexpensive and can be found at any bike retailer, mine have a rubber strap on them and take all of a few seconds to install. Although the rules say you must have a headlamp and a tail lamp on your bike we noticed about a 50% compliance, foolish to me since I never once saw a bike vs car incident that favored the bike. As Edna Mode says "luck favors the prepared"

FW is the perfect place for a GC but it's nice to see people that want to ride bikes also. We're really looking forward to it when we come down for our first time in April. Our fav campground not too far from us is on a beach and the amount of GC traffic there is too much. Maybe it's bc you see unsupervised kids driving them, and fast. You very rarely see anyone over the age of 10 on a bike there. Almost hit us and our dogs numerous times. That being said, do appreciate the cool looking ones they have there, with lifts, cool wheels, etc. But it's really strange to us that no adults or teens/tweens ride bikes there at all.

So, we have to have two lights on all the bikes? I have a few but not that many.

So, we have to have two lights on all the bikes?
Oddly, the Fort can be really dark along some of the paths and roads. It's like any other situation riding at night. Try to make yourself visible. Most of the road traffic will be buses and golf carts. The buses will probably be looking for you, but still do a lot of damage if they don't see you. The golf carts aren't looking for you or anything else and they will leave a mark too.

I have 2 cheap clip on LED flashing lights I keep in my bike bag in case I get caught out later than I thought. Clip one on a back jersey pocket and the other on a brake cable in front. I think I got mine at Home Depot, but many places have them. Pretty sure I paid less than$10 for both.

j

We have not brought our bikes to FW yet but everyone's posts here have convinced us to bring them in April!! Thanks!!!::MickeyMo::MinnieMo

We are taking our first trip to the Fort in April and rented a Cart for 3 days of our stay. We are normally very active people and riding bikes around the Fort will certainly be in future visits plans. However we have a 2-1/2 yr old and decided that because he is so young a Golf Cart will be convenient and for him until he is older and able to ride a bike around the Fort.

Our first trip we only took bikes and had a great time. But last trip in 2013 we rented a cart. We were there for Halloween and want to take full advantage of the trick or treating. Sadly the lights quit working and the cart was useless most of that night. I'm buying my own cart now so we'll probably take the cart and two bikes in Ocotober just because riding the bikes are fun and relaxing as well as exercise.

Found these lights on Amazon when I was looking for some other bike stuff. Under $10 for both.

http://www.amazon.com/BV-Bicycle-He...k-Release/dp/B00A6TBITM/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y

Sorry. The pic is huge. It may be LARGER than actual size. :confused3
81Wa6KCtdSL._SL1500_.jpg

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter