Biggest Loser Run/Walker Thread 2012/13--Everyone Welcome! :)

Name: Melissa
DisName: melissahac99
Upcoming Races: Wicked Halloweeen 5K (oct 28)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): none! Oct 28 is my first!
And for fun, favorite running shoe: new balance

Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm new to the DIS boards. I recently began planning a Nov 2013 WDW trip and discovered this amazing place, thus my lack of posts.

I am W4D2 of couch 25K and want to lose 50lbs. My first 5K race is Oct 28. Yikes

I am a Part time oncology RN, wife and mom to two boys, almost 5 and 19 months.

Question of the Week--September 2, 2012
What are your goals--fitness and weight loss--for the fall? Do you have a plan to achieve these goals? Did you put it in writing? Is it a specific plan or a vague plan? Share what you would like with the group.

My goals are to complete C25K and to jog my entire 5K on Oct 28. I'm scared that I won't be able to because my endurance is still low. I am on W4D2 and often have to stop and walk during the run intervals. My weight loss goals are a little more vague. I need to lose 50 lbs but haven't stuck to a plan. That's why the fall challenge is perfect. I think it will be very motivating!

I wanted to share an app that I found with you all. It's called Charity Miles. I have it on my iPhone. It might be available on android as well, I'm not sure. Every time you run it tracks how far you go and for each mile you run, $.25 is donated to the charity you choose. There are about ten or twelve charities to choose from. I always choose Feeding America and at the end of my workout it tells how many meal that run provided. It's really motivating!

Just wanted to share that with you. Even though my runs only earn about 60cents, it still feels good to know that it may do some good.

Thanks for all the Bday wishes.:goodvibes

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll sign up for the one in September. When I do my c25k workouts, I run/walk about 2.5 miles. I could walk 3 miles easily I think. I'll just go for it. The worst that could happen is I have to walk more than I want to.
Great attitude!:)

My goals are to finish c25k, run at least one 5k and lose 7 or 8 pounds by our trip in October. I'm also doing a program tht helps you build up to 100 pushups so that's a goal as well. This isn't really a fitness goal, but I'd like to get some running shoes this month too. They weren't in writing, but I guess now they are. :laughing: You guys make me stick to it.
I keep saying I am going to work on more push ups and then I slack off. But I can barely eek our 7 or 8. Great goals!

Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm new to the DIS boards. I recently began planning a Nov 2013 WDW trip and discovered this amazing place, thus my lack of posts.

I am W4D2 of couch 25K and want to lose 50lbs. My first 5K race is Oct 28. Yikes

Welcome Melissa! Congrats on signing up for your first race.:goodvibes

What are your goals--fitness and weight loss--for the fall? Do you have a plan to achieve these goals? Did you put it in writing? Is it a specific plan or a vague plan? Share what you would like with the group.

My goals are to complete C25K and to jog my entire 5K on Oct 28. I'm scared that I won't be able to because my endurance is still low. I am on W4D2 and often have to stop and walk during the run intervals. My weight loss goals are a little more vague. I need to lose 50 lbs but haven't stuck to a plan. That's why the fall challenge is perfect. I think it will be very motivating!
Don't beat yourself up if you have to walk a bit. There are lots of thoughts on walking vs walk/run on the Wish board. We probably should make a it a question of the week. Suffice it to say, that it's your first race. Do the very best you can. And smile when you cross that finish line.:goodvibes

I wanted to share an app that I found with you all. It's called Charity Miles. I have it on my iPhone. It might be available on android as well, I'm not sure. Every time you run it tracks how far you go and for each mile you run, $.25 is donated to the charity you choose. There are about ten or twelve charities to choose from. I always choose Feeding America and at the end of my workout it tells how many meal that run provided. It's really motivating!

Just wanted to share that with you. Even though my runs only earn about 60cents, it still feels good to know that it may do some good.
That's pretty cool.

I hope everyone is having a good week. I met with my new trainer yesterday and I think it is going to be good, though she called today and cancelled for tomorrow--she has bronchitis. I am a little anxious about our long run this weekend. I think we are going 14 miles. I have done 14 miles before, but I have just been dragging a bit in the motivation lately. Hopefully this will restore some of my confidence.:goodvibes

I'm new to this board (and to running) so I thought I'd post my intro.

Name: MB (stands for Mary Beth but MB suits me way better)
DisName: disneymom2one
Upcoming Races: My first 5K was a local one yesterday. My goal was to run the whole thing. I did. I have another local one in two weeks and then my husband, daughter, and I are doing the 5K during TOT weekend at WDW on September 29. That whole weekend is my reward for losing 100 pounds and I cannot wait.

Hi MB! :wave2: 100lbs! That is alot of commitment - good for you! I'm doing the ToT 5K as well and am really looking forward to it. Maybe we can meet up and say hello.

Like I said, been struggling a bit this summer. Overall, doing ok, but I feel like I have lost focus. I signed up for the Mickey (26.2) in January and over the past few weeks I have felt absolutely paralyzed by the idea of new injuries or just "failing."
Anyhow, I knew I had to do something different. I decided that the most I was going to do for a long run for the marathon is 20 miles and that I had to make a commitment to cross training on off days. I have also stopped taking group fitness classes at the Y--they were fun, but the injury potential well outweighs the benefit.

The think that I really need to work on though, is the negative self-talk. I don't know where it is coming from--I thought I had nipped it in the bud. I think it is mostly coming from FEAR. Fear of failure. Fear of injury. So the best way to overcome that fear--a plan!:thumbsup2

So here is this weeks workouts:
M--run
T--run
W--pool run, physical trainer, piyo
R--run
F--pool run, physical trainer
S--long run (14 miles)
S--OFF

Good plan! You'll get back to your good habits soon and do well. I hope you had a fabulous birthday!

I absolutely know what you mean about the fear of injuries; everytime I get a tweaking muscle I start having anxiety! The only group classes I still take are the occasional spin class and a crossfit/bootcamp.

Welcome, Melissa! Good luck with your first race; just relax and have fun. :cheer2:

What are your goals--fitness and weight loss--for the fall? Do you have a plan to achieve these goals? Did you put it in writing? Is it a specific plan or a vague plan?

I want to lose another 15-20lbs; I'm down 32 from my highest weight but with the bit of yoyo-ing I've done :headache: I've lost more than that. I'm training to run right now but after the 1st of October I'll be working on a 70-day intense fat burning/muscle building program which will help make it easier for me to lose the rest of the weight and keep it off. THEN I can get back to running. :)

I jumped in to the Jeff Galloway 5/10K training program at week 12 to run a couple of 5K's this month. After the 1st of the year I'll be training for my 1st 10k and half marathon. :)

Going to stop running until I get fitted with shoes. I was in so much pain today on my long run. I hate to stop but the pain is getting to be too much. I expect to be uncomfortable but today I was almost hyperventilating because it hurt so bad.

I've decided to use a bike instead. I will continue to use the Galloway app. just on a bike instead. I will just go to the Y where we have a membership that we never use. Then I will do some strength training as well.

If I continue to have pain on Monday I will make an appointment with my doctor just to make sure everything is OK.

I'm going to take the weekend off and rest. I will try biking on Monday.

Hi Ladies!!

I have a question, today is my C25K run/walk day. It is raining, thundering and lightning out and is supposed to stay that way all weekend :( I don't have a gym membership, any ideas I what I can do inside to still get a good workout in.

Thanks!

Going to stop running until I get fitted with shoes.
If I continue to have pain on Monday I will make an appointment with my doctor just to make sure everything is OK.

Smart move! You won't make your goals if you are injured. I hope the shoes will correct the problem.

pix13dust said:
Hi Ladies!!

I have a question, today is my C25K run/walk day. It is raining, thundering and lightning out and is supposed to stay that way all weekend :( I don't have a gym membership, any ideas I what I can do inside to still get a good workout in.

Thanks!

Do you have a DVD that you can use just for today? I have Walk Away The Pounds 3 mile walk and a 30 Day Shred. If you have something like that it would work just for today. I also have a Wii Fit Plus and you could try that as well. Netflix I think even has workouts too.

Nothing will be exactly like C25K but if you're just looking to workout those would be my suggestions.

DorkyDisneyMom said:
Do you have a DVD that you can use just for today? I have Walk Away The Pounds 3 mile walk and a 30 Day Shred. If you have something like that it would work just for today. I also have a Wii Fit Plus and you could try that as well. Netflix I think even has workouts too.

Nothing will be exactly like C25K but if you're just looking to workout those would be my suggestions.

Thanks! For the ideas. I have Zumba DVD's but really wanted to stick to the " running " theme for today. It actually cleared up a little - no rain but really dark- so I got in my C25K for today. Got home and found out a possible tornado touched down not too far from us, yikes! I will check out that walk away the pounds video for future bad weather days. I'm trying to hold off on the gym membership until at least the end of October. Have a great weekend everyone :)

Netflix has some exercise videos and sparkpeople.com has some. There might be something on demand on cable or even YouTube. Sorry I'm on my phone or I would find a link for you :flower3:

What are your goals--fitness and weight loss--for the fall? Do you have a plan to achieve these goals? Did you put it in writing? Is it a specific plan or a vague plan?

I want to lose another 15-20lbs; I'm down 32 from my highest weight but with the bit of yoyo-ing I've done :headache: I've lost more than that. I'm training to run right now but after the 1st of October I'll be working on a 70-day intense fat burning/muscle building program which will help make it easier for me to lose the rest of the weight and keep it off. THEN I can get back to running. :)

I jumped in to the Jeff Galloway 5/10K training program at week 12 to run a couple of 5K's this month. After the 1st of the year I'll be training for my 1st 10k and half marathon. :)
I love 10ks. Fast, sweaty and done in about an hour! :) What's not to like? What's the name of the fat burning/muscle building program? It is hard sometimes to lose while running I think. I know after some long runs I am sooooo hungry. Though interestingly today, I ran 14, made a big effort to fuel and take endurolytes, and haven't been too hungry. Wonder if there is a correlation?

Going to stop running until I get fitted with shoes. I was in so much pain today on my long run. I hate to stop but the pain is getting to be too much. I expect to be uncomfortable but today I was almost hyperventilating because it hurt so bad.

I've decided to use a bike instead. I will continue to use the Galloway app. just on a bike instead. I will just go to the Y where we have a membership that we never use. Then I will do some strength training as well.

Hang in there. I had some major foot pain in the front of my foot when I was in the wrong shoes. Switched shoes, and it was taken care of. I think you are making the right decision. Injuries stink!

Hi Ladies!!

Thanks!
Looks like you got your workout in. I too have WATP videos at home. You can get them at Target for pretty cheap. I have a treadmill at home, but I have used them on snowy days when I just don't want to get on the treadmill. :goodvibes

So we ran 14 miles today. (run 3 min walk 1 min for an average pace of 12 min miles) and then walked another mile as a cool down. It is a little slower than I would like to be at if I were training for the half in January, but I am constantly reminding myself now that every single workout is about finishing the full injury free.:goodvibes I feel pretty good--and did not have to ice anything, which for everyone who knows me, that is a HUGE deal. It means no injuries flaring up.:goodvibes I did have to stop at about 8 miles and deal with a "girl" problem which was very unfun. The restroom in the park was about a 100degrees and I thought I was going to pass out. I kept reminding myself that this is the stuff to draw on during races when I am tired and mentally done--you know, remember that time I had to.....

Next week we will go about 6 miles. The week after we are running a 5K. So happy for 2 cut back weeks. Sept 29th we have 15 miles.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!:goodvibes

Ah Rose, mid run stops in a 100 restroom ...... The joys of being a women :) but then again who wants to be a boy, they're smelly and stupid, lol! And boys dont get to go shopping at Sephora after a workout! Glad you made it thru the run.

I love 10ks. Fast, sweaty and done in about an hour! :) What's not to like? What's the name of the fat burning/muscle building program? It is hard sometimes to lose while running I think. I know after some long runs I am sooooo hungry. Though interestingly today, I ran 14, made a big effort to fuel and take endurolytes, and haven't been too hungry. Wonder if there is a correlation?

So we ran 14 miles today. (run 3 min walk 1 min for an average pace of 12 min miles) and then walked another mile as a cool down.

Next week we will go about 6 miles. The week after we are running a 5K. So happy for 2 cut back weeks. Sept 29th we have 15 miles.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!:goodvibes

Thanks, Rose - I hope your Saturday is good as well. :)

The 70-Day program was developed at my gym. They run 3 BL programs a year and were finding that some people need to get out of the loser mode and more into the muscle-building and fat-burner mode rather than low calories and tons of cardio. I was pretty much leveled out for the last 3 months and need to change it up.

Hmmm...I take amino supplements pre/post every workout or run, but maybe I need to hit the electrolytes harder. I have been worn out and starving after every effort lately.

14 miles! I'm not close to that yet - 6 miles is the most I've ran at one time yet but I'll get there. You are an inspiration! :thumbsup2

Here is my basic bean burger recipe. Honestly, I have found that as long as you make sure it is not too wet, you can put just about anything in bean burgers. I put this in mfp and I believe it was ~155 calories per burger. Two cans of beans makes about 8 burgers.

2 cans of beans drained and rinsed (allow moisture to drip off beans; I usually mix a white bean with black beans)

1/2 c diced onion

~1/4 cup roasted garlic tomato sauce (or "liquid of your choice. I have used spicy salad dressing, mayo with old bay seasoning, etc.)

2-3 slices of gluten free bread toasted (gluten free bread is small, so I am guessing 1.5 pieces of whole wheat would work)

olive oil (optional; between 1 and 3 teaspoons)

veggies--I have used baby carrots (~12), frozen spinach (thawed and dried), peppers, etc.

The big thing is to watch your liquids. If you are using a veggie with a lot of liquid, then cut back on the liquid in your seasoning.

Ok. Directions.

The consistency of the final product should resemble soft ground beef. In this example we will use spaghetti sauce and carrots.

Place toasted bread in food processor and process until crumbs.

Add both cans of beans and process until smooth. If you like chunky burgers, hold out some beans to add in at end.

Add in carrots and continue to process until mostly smooth. The carrots can be a little chunky.

Slowly add in spaghetti sauce paying close attention to consistency. You want the final product to resemble ground beef or meat loaf. At this point if you want olive oil, you can add it as well.

Stir in onions. I like my onions chunky, so I dice but do not food process.

So bread, beans, veggies, sauce, olive oil, onions.

Preheat over to 350. Spray either aluminum foil or parchment paper with non stick cooking spray.

Bake for about 15 min and then check. They will often "fall apart" when you turn them, but you can put them back together and they should be good to go. Bake another 15 min.

Baking times vary depending on how soft the mixture is. These freeze great and reheat easily.

I can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes. Then I just have to bake.:goodvibes

Sorry if the recipe seems vague, but I have kind of put together a bunch of different recipes to come up with this. I have also added cooked quinoa in place of the bread crumbs. I hope this helps!

Congratulations to Nancy and Lindsay on their races this morning! :)

QOTW--Do you--run without stopping or use run/walk intervals? What are your thoughts/experiences?

QOTW--Do you--run without stopping or use run/walk intervals? What are your thoughts/experiences?

:cheer2: Woohoo! I hope you had a fun time and did well! :cheer2:

Here's my story. It's long, but there is a point, I promise.

I have been running off and on since 1987 when I was in college. Some year's more seriously. Some years not at all. I usually stopped when I got shinsplints--around 3-4 mile long distance. I always 100% believed if you weren't running the entire way that it didn't count. Period.

We moved here in 1994 and ever since then I wanted to run the local 1/2 marathon. Again ran and off for years, got injured, got burned out, gained weight, lost weight, gained weight. Quit. Over and over and never ran the local 1/2. Every April when the race came around I felt like a failure.

In 2008 I lost about 30 pounds, was walking a lot, in good shape, thought about running again and started feeling bad. Tired, lethargic. Started having hip problems and achilles problems. Just didn't feel well. This was probably malnutrition from my gluten problems kicking in. The diet and exercise were taxing my body and it was starting to show. I quit again and gained most of the weight back.

In 2009 my only child went to college and I went back to work. I was tired, over weight, out of shape, having some pretty good brain fog and just feeling pretty lousy about myself.

In Dec I joined the Y and in Jan 2010 I joined the BL thread. I lost weight pretty steadily and was working out a lot. In April my DH ran the local 1/2 and again I felt like a loser. He convinced me to start running again with the idea of doing the inaugural W&D. Honestly I did it to humour him. I figured I would quit eventually. I always did.

About the same time I had to go see a cardiologist about an irregular heartbeat. I had to wear a monitor and have an echo. It was a very frequent irregular heartbeat, but my heart was healthy, so I was cleared to exercise and continue losing weight.

My DH went to USNA. He was of the thought--you run. You don't do this run/walk thing. And so was I. My first half marathon in Sept of 2010 I ran the entire thing. I didn't walk a step. Mike stopped to use the porta-pottie and I kept running. I was so proud of myself. And so stubborn.

And I was slowly getting sicker. My irregular heartbeat was becoming more frequent. I was getting sick after long runs. I had terrible brain fog. My hair was falling out. I had a host of other issues which I won't bore you with.

I ran the W&D, but by then we were starting to look at walk breaks. I was so tired at the end of long runs/races, that we were starting to try things just to make it easier. We walked a minute at the end of each mile.:goodvibes I was so sick at the end I didn't eat or drink anything at the party.

All through the winter I kept feeling yucky. I finally went to my doctor in January. I couldn't even explain to her what was wrong. I had to type out my symptoms. I stopped eating gluten in February, but unfortunately, I had a long road back at that point.

I ran the Princess in Feb of 11. Run 5 walk 1 (I think). It was my fastest race (and still is). After that race I spent the rest of 11 and the beginning of 12 injured. Really I already had some of the problems during the Princess, but I apparently have a high pain threshold.:thumbsup2

In April of 11 I had to decide if I was going to skip the local 1/2 or just do it and take whatever time I got. I was in a lot of pain from a nasty case of itbs and my foot was pretty messed up. I ran/walked it. I can't remember what interval I used. It was very emotional. I shouldn't have run it. It was not the best decision. And I could not have done it without walking some. My time was almost 30 minutes slower than the Princess which I had just run 2 months earlier.

It took a long time for me to really feel like I was "better". I don't realize how bad I felt before I stopped eating gluten.

IF I would have stuck with the idea of "real runners only run" I would have probably had to give up running. I have worked very hard to get back to where I can comfortably run 5 miles without a walk break. I don't know that I will ever run a 1/2 again without a walk break.

I am faster with walk breaks. They give my body the recovery time it needs. The reality--I am not 20 years old. Or even 30.:goodvibes I am in my 40s. I have limitations that I need to work within. Walk breaks help me keep my injuries in check. Hopefully this year, for the first time I will actually be able to enjoy the W&D party.

I think it is awesome if someone wants to run without stopping for walk breaks. It is a great feeling. I love my short runs where I just run without thinking about it. I think run/walk intervals enable me to try things I don't know if I could do otherwise. They got me back to running faster when I was sick than if I would have just run full out.

I think whatever you choose you should be open to trying other things if something doesn't seem to be working. And also remember--what works for you or me might not work for someone else. Everyone is hopefully working to the best of their ability.:goodvibes

Here's my story. It's long, but there is a point, I promise.
I think whatever you choose you should be open to trying other things if something doesn't seem to be working. And also remember--what works for you or me might not work for someone else. Everyone is hopefully working to the best of their ability.:goodvibes

Rose - you are amazing. :rose: Thanks for sharing and for offering your help and experiences! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter