• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

What is your favorite way to prepare your fish? Do you even like fish? Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? We'd love to hear it!

For the longest time the only fish I ate was tuna and salmon. However, a few months back I tried tilapia at Red Lobster and it was incredible. I bought a good size package of it at Sam's Club at the beginning of the month. We've already had two meals out of it. I'd share the recipe on how Alan made it but I can't for the life of me remember how he did it. :lmao:.

What is your favorite way to prepare your fish? Do you even like fish? Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? We'd love to hear it!

This question is really great for me - thanks for making it the qotd! I am not a fish eater at all - my mother hates fish and therefore we never had it at home and I never learned how to prepare it. I am a bit difficult with fish as well, but there are some which I really like. One thing I started to eat recently is smoked trout, which is rather common here.

And yesterday at the supermarket I bought some deep frozen salmon for the first time ever in my life, thinking that this would make a good protein source. However, I have no idea what to do with it! :crazy2: I am a decent cook, so I was sure I would figure something out, but I now I am getting all this inspiration from all the answers to the qotd! That's fantastic! :thumbsup2

We typically bake ours in the oven I believe around 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. :)

I absolutely LOVE fish and seafood of any kind.

I like to make what I call "pocket meals". I take foil to make a large rectangle, place my fish on there and then add a few spices (whatever I'm in the mood for) and add some seasonal veggies. Zucchni, summer squash, carrots etc. I then pull up the sides to make my "pocket" Place these in my baking dish and slip in the oven. They steam real nice this way.

Cleanup is a brease and I always make enough that I have lunch for the next day in its own little "pocket".

I love Salmon with some lemon slices and summer squash. Or Talipia with cajun spice and zucchni. Or sea bass with red and green peppers and carrots.

I really like my spices and strong flavors. DH doesn't really care for the spices, more just a pepper man. So with the "pockets" I can season to both our tastes.

I'm with you indygirl, put my piece if fish in a bit of foil, sprinkle it with a few spices or some lemon, whatever i'm in the mood for and bake in the oven.

I love fish but i don't have a lot of experience with cooking. My Mum used to cook a lot and now my boyfriend cooks a lot, so i'm just starting to get into it now. Never tried talipia but i am a big fan of tuna, salmon, haddock and most recently rainbow trout. I don't like fish that is too salty though.

Good news and Bad news this week...
Bad - i didn't lose any weight
Good - i didn't put any on either.

I weigh exactly the same, which isn't bad considering my week :) I've been a good girl today though xx

JacksLilWench said:
QOTD Saturday 9/15- If you could put any country in the World Showcase, what would it be? What would it be like? What would they sell?

Like others have mentioned, I think India should be the next World Showcase country. For no other reason than I love Indian food! Nan, chutneys, all those spicy sauces, it's so tasty.

BUT I would also really love a country themed around Cambodia. I love Cambodian tombs and landscapes, it's such a beautiful country. I want to go so bad, I'm sure I'll make a trip there before the World Showcase ever gets an addition.

I eat a LOT of fish, and I love it cooked all ways... but lately I've really been loving this one recipe that calls for the fish to be steamed! So delicious. It's a lime ginger cilantro recipe with steamed fish. I've been using tilapia filets from costco.

I also often have a salmon or mahi burger for lunch (with no bun). Quick, easy, and ridiculously low in calories.

JacksLilWench said:

I'll be back later tonight with replies and maybe even my own recipe!

Sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope you get better soon!

I love all fish and so does DS9. DH & DS6 will eat some. I try new recipes all the time. I just use allrecipes website & search. We do breaded & baked and broiled the most. Of course the best fish I've ever had is my grandma's Christmas Eve fish (which I now make) and requires frying. So, once a year I get that!

DS9 and I ran our 5k today. He was cruising until about mile 2. Then he was tired & wanted to quit. We walked most of the last mile & I tried to make him laugh & have fun. Plus, our good friend who is a cop & was working traffic control at an intersection toward the end chased us, so it was great. Anyhow, he finished in 39:14 which is 2 minutes faster than last year. And, he got 3rd in his age group so he was so excited. And, he won a door prize after ($5 subway gift card & a free 12" pizza from Pizza Joe's). I'm such a proud mom :) I have to tell you, one age group was 65 and older. The 3 men who won that age group all finished in 26 minutes & under. And the one guy was 78! I hope I'm still running when I'm that age!

Anyhow, now that I've bragged about DS, I have to go check on DS6. He stayed with my mom today while we were at the 5k & he wasn't feeling well. I brought him home & temp was 100.7. He's resting now, but he'll have to miss school tomorrow. This will be his second absence this school year lol. And we didn't start until aug 29! Poor thing. Luckily DH is off from school & work this week so I don't have to call off.

Have a great Sunday & week!

Jill

Hey everyone:wave2: Finally got access to a computer for a wee while. Mine is still not functioning which is driving me nuts!! I lost 2 lbs this week and hope you all did well. I have missed too many QOTD to answer them all but I will admit I dont eat nearly enough fish (I do take cod liver oil sipplements most days):lmao: Growing up we ate fish every friday-called it brown fish and my mum fried it in a pan along with my potatoes in an effort to get me to eat (those were the days :rotfl2:). I think it was actually smoked cod but cant be totally sure. I occasionally eat a "fish supper" from the "chippie" which is battered cod and homecooked chips but at a whopping 36points (weight watchers) I wont be eating them again any time soon:sad:
I would love some ideas on how to cook fish and think I will start with the tinfoil parcels I read about in soe of the earlier posts. Definitely an area I can improve on:thumbsup2

I love fish! My favorite way to prepare any white fish is in the following manner:

Lay out a piece of foil.
Place the fish on it.
On top of the fish drizzle 1 Tb of lite soy sauce and 1 Tb of sesame oil.
Chop 1 or 2 cloves garlic (to your taste) and add with a thinly sliced whole spring onion (the white and green)
Fold the foil around the fish and create a sealed pocket.
Place it to float on top of a pan of boiling water to allow to poach.
Cooking time will depend on the size of your fish but generally takes about 4 to 6 minutes to poach through.

Wonderful!

Christopher

EDIT: forgot to add the fresh ginger grated on with the garlic and onion.

I love fish! My favorite way to prepare any white fish is in the following manner:

Lay out a piece of foil.
Place the fish on it.
Chop 1 or 2 cloves garlic (to your taste) and add with a thinly sliced whole spring onion (the white and green)
Cooking time will depend on the size of your fish but generally takes about 4 to 6 minutes to poach through.

Wonderful!

Christopher

I dont usually poach, not sure why. In fact I have never poached anything in my life. Perhaps I will make some this week!

I really love those tin foil ideas for the fish - one question though: can you do that with the frozen fish or do I need to let the fish thaw first? I can't get fresh fish here (well, the food hall in the department store in the city has it, but that's not convenient), so I bought frozen, but unprepared fish. Would be great if I could start cooking with it without any previous preplanning.

D73 said:

Lay out a piece of foil.
Place the fish on it.

Wonderful!

Christopher

I added the ginger! Another great taste component to really give you that Asian flavor!

Well, I did well this week and lost 3 pounds. But I probably put it all back on this weekend. I was at a scrapbooking retreat, and we ate a ton of junk food. So tomorrow morning it's back to the gym.

And I went and signed up at the gym by my house. I'm still a member at a different gym for 2 more months, but I never get there because it's too far away from where I'm working now. This one is just right down the street from me. It's the same price as my 1st gym, and the initiation fees were waived.

Today's QOTD - I don't eat any fish at all. I'm allergic to it. I can't even stand the smell of it. If the smell is too strong, I'll get very sick.

I love fish but my hubby doesn't much.... So don't make it much however my son does and we bought some pre seasoned salmon steaks and tilapia today while shopping :)
Have been eating my way thru the day again :( feel crummy, the blisters are pealing on the bottom of my feet which is exposing fresh raw skin so walking is even more painful today...exercising is impossible...even simple yoga as it put so much pressure on my feet..... I can feel the lbs taking hold!!!

Really need to get out of this rut.....

First off, JacksLilWench, feel better soon!! :flower3:

I love fish! Really I prefer it over red meat now. I don't have any fancy way of making it; just salt, pepper, a little butter and Worcestershire on tilapia and baked for 20-30 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I had a pretty awesome weekend. DM went shopping at Goodwill yesterday and found me the cutest little brown skirt with flowers on it for $3.50!! It's a little big on my waist but it fits ok for now and DM said that she'll take it in once I lose some more weight.

Plus... I got a new hair cut! I was actually planning on letting it grow out but on of my friends offered to cut it for me and I figured 'It's a new me; why not get a new hair style?'

me.jpg

I'm thinking about getting it a little shorter, but I wanted to see how I liked this first. You can cut more off but you can't put it back on. ;)

Cheated a little bit this evening at Olive Garden with DM for some Portobello mushroom ravioli, so getting back on track tomorrow. DCousin who is starting to learn how to drive came over for a while and we let her drive a bit...while barely getting over 10 mph... Really brought me back to when I was learning to drive. :rolleyes: Cleaned the kitchen, got a load of laundry in the dryer that I REALLY don't feel like folding... It never ends. ;)

I love, love fish but DH does not and I'm not a very good cook so I have never tried to make it, so my favorite way to eat it is by having someone else make it!

When we go on vacation each summer, there is a caribbean restaurant that we love to eat at. They have a dish called "Fish in Tin" that is a piece of white fish (whatever they catch that day), wrapped in tinfoil with mango salsa. I'm pretty sure I could live on that stuff! :)

Currently, our favorite way to eat fish is Mahi Tikka Masala.

We eat a lot of walleye. DH prefers it breaded and fried :rolleyes2, but lately he's come to his senses. The new requested preparation is broiled in juice - he likes orange, while I prefer lemon or grapefruit juice. Very simple...just pour a bit of juice on the bottom of a broiler pan. Lay the fillets in the juice, flip to coat and broil for 5-7 minutes or until flaky. Top with some sliced scallions and a bit of fresh ground pepper.

I just back back in for taking a walk with the heavy double stroller, we walked 3 miles which is my first in forever. It felt good to get some sun and get the babies out. I love fish, I love it simple broiled with lemon and garlic, when the fish is very fresh you want to season lightly, I eat fish twice a week that's a big change for me since having the baby. While breast feeding I am really trying to eat healthier cause what I eat DS is eating. So I am losing weight to be an example for my kids as well as live longer with them. Yay kids lol! Hope everyone is enjoying there Sunday.

Definitely a good call on losing to set a good example for your kids. My parents always did the best they could with what we had growing up (which wasn't much!) but they didn't really know how to set a good example, so it makes it hard to overcome the food patterns I have now. You are doing your kids a huge service! :cool1:

I hope you get your voice back. I hate it when I lose mine. Thankfully I don't lose it often.

As for the QOTD: We are cheap in this house. So while we do eat fish at home it is frozen fish. I like a lot of different fish, just don't have the money in our budget for fresh. So that also means i don't really know how to cook it either.

My DBF was kinda happy I lost my voice, I think ;) We don't buy too much fresh fish either, but we do buy a fair amount of frozen tilapia fillets. Yummy! But honestly, I'm just as happy with Gorton's fish sticks and ketchup :p

I am a pescatarian so fish is a staple in our home. I go through phases, but I am currently on a tilapia kick. I really like the macadamia coconut panko Whole Foods sells. It is really not good for you, but the small amount I use on the fish keeps the calories in check. Since dh is a big meat and potatoes type guy, I tend to make him some sort of dead animal to eat and then my single serving of fish. I have the single serving size George Forman grill which works wonders for all types of fish and its easy cleanup!

That breading sounds SO GOOD!! I wonder if you can mix it with regular breadcrumbs to make it not quite so bad for you...I might have to go on a hunt to find them!

This question is really great for me - thanks for making it the qotd! I am not a fish eater at all - my mother hates fish and therefore we never had it at home and I never learned how to prepare it. I am a bit difficult with fish as well, but there are some which I really like. One thing I started to eat recently is smoked trout, which is rather common here.

And yesterday at the supermarket I bought some deep frozen salmon for the first time ever in my life, thinking that this would make a good protein source. However, I have no idea what to do with it! :crazy2: I am a decent cook, so I was sure I would figure something out, but I now I am getting all this inspiration from all the answers to the qotd! That's fantastic! :thumbsup2

Salmon is really good if you can find a recipe that uses (sugar-free!) maple syrup. I know it sounds crazy, but it really is good!

For the longest time the only fish I ate was tuna and salmon. However, a few months back I tried tilapia at Red Lobster and it was incredible. I bought a good size package of it at Sam's Club at the beginning of the month. We've already had two meals out of it. I'd share the recipe on how Alan made it but I can't for the life of me remember how he did it. :lmao:.

Those big bags of tilapia are a staple in my house- they take up so much room in the freezer! But I do like the smell of them cooking up...so fresh and delicious :)

I absolutely LOVE fish and seafood of any kind.

I like to make what I call "pocket meals". I take foil to make a large rectangle, place my fish on there and then add a few spices (whatever I'm in the mood for) and add some seasonal veggies. Zucchni, summer squash, carrots etc. I then pull up the sides to make my "pocket" Place these in my baking dish and slip in the oven. They steam real nice this way.

Cleanup is a brease and I always make enough that I have lunch for the next day in its own little "pocket".

I love Salmon with some lemon slices and summer squash. Or Talipia with cajun spice and zucchni. Or sea bass with red and green peppers and carrots.

I really like my spices and strong flavors. DH doesn't really care for the spices, more just a pepper man. So with the "pockets" I can season to both our tastes.

Mmmmm, this sounds delicious. How long do you bake them for??

I'm with you indygirl, put my piece if fish in a bit of foil, sprinkle it with a few spices or some lemon, whatever i'm in the mood for and bake in the oven.

I love fish but i don't have a lot of experience with cooking. My Mum used to cook a lot and now my boyfriend cooks a lot, so i'm just starting to get into it now. Never tried talipia but i am a big fan of tuna, salmon, haddock and most recently rainbow trout. I don't like fish that is too salty though.

Good news and Bad news this week...
Bad - i didn't lose any weight
Good - i didn't put any on either.

I weigh exactly the same, which isn't bad considering my week :) I've been a good girl today though xx

You should give tilapia a shot. If you like salmon, you would like it- it's not a very "fishy" fish (if that makes sense :scratchin) It seasons well and is mild, and not salty to me at all.

I'm in the same boat, no loss, but no gain either. I really need to do something about that!

Like others have mentioned, I think India should be the next World Showcase country. For no other reason than I love Indian food! Nan, chutneys, all those spicy sauces, it's so tasty.

BUT I would also really love a country themed around Cambodia. I love Cambodian tombs and landscapes, it's such a beautiful country. I want to go so bad, I'm sure I'll make a trip there before the World Showcase ever gets an addition.

I eat a LOT of fish, and I love it cooked all ways... but lately I've really been loving this one recipe that calls for the fish to be steamed! So delicious. It's a lime ginger cilantro recipe with steamed fish. I've been using tilapia filets from costco.

I also often have a salmon or mahi burger for lunch (with no bun). Quick, easy, and ridiculously low in calories.

Oooo, Cambodia would be really cool too! I may have to do a little more research on that one...
Mmm, ginger lime cilantro sounds tasty!

Sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope you get better soon!

I love all fish and so does DS9. DH & DS6 will eat some. I try new recipes all the time. I just use allrecipes website & search. We do breaded & baked and broiled the most. Of course the best fish I've ever had is my grandma's Christmas Eve fish (which I now make) and requires frying. So, once a year I get that!

DS9 and I ran our 5k today. He was cruising until about mile 2. Then he was tired & wanted to quit. We walked most of the last mile & I tried to make him laugh & have fun. Plus, our good friend who is a cop & was working traffic control at an intersection toward the end chased us, so it was great. Anyhow, he finished in 39:14 which is 2 minutes faster than last year. And, he got 3rd in his age group so he was so excited. And, he won a door prize after ($5 subway gift card & a free 12" pizza from Pizza Joe's). I'm such a proud mom :) I have to tell you, one age group was 65 and older. The 3 men who won that age group all finished in 26 minutes & under. And the one guy was 78! I hope I'm still running when I'm that age!

Anyhow, now that I've bragged about DS, I have to go check on DS6. He stayed with my mom today while we were at the 5k & he wasn't feeling well. I brought him home & temp was 100.7. He's resting now, but he'll have to miss school tomorrow. This will be his second absence this school year lol. And we didn't start until aug 29! Poor thing. Luckily DH is off from school & work this week so I don't have to call off.

Have a great Sunday & week!

Jill

Congrats to you and your son for the 5k! And wow, at 78 he finished in under 26 minutes?! Makes me feel like a lazy bum :surfweb: I need to kick it into gear, it feels like!

Hey everyone:wave2: Finally got access to a computer for a wee while. Mine is still not functioning which is driving me nuts!! I lost 2 lbs this week and hope you all did well. I have missed too many QOTD to answer them all but I will admit I dont eat nearly enough fish (I do take cod liver oil sipplements most days):lmao: Growing up we ate fish every friday-called it brown fish and my mum fried it in a pan along with my potatoes in an effort to get me to eat (those were the days :rotfl2:). I think it was actually smoked cod but cant be totally sure. I occasionally eat a "fish supper" from the "chippie" which is battered cod and homecooked chips but at a whopping 36points (weight watchers) I wont be eating them again any time soon:sad:
I would love some ideas on how to cook fish and think I will start with the tinfoil parcels I read about in soe of the earlier posts. Definitely an area I can improve on:thumbsup2

Don't the tinfoil packets sound so easy AND tasty? I will have to try some this week, for sure.

Lay out a piece of foil.
Place the fish on it.

Wonderful!

Christopher

That sounds incredible! I will DEFINITELY have to try this one this week, and let you know how it goes!

I really love those tin foil ideas for the fish - one question though: can you do that with the frozen fish or do I need to let the fish thaw first? I can't get fresh fish here (well, the food hall in the department store in the city has it, but that's not convenient), so I bought frozen, but unprepared fish. Would be great if I could start cooking with it without any previous preplanning.

I think if you defrost it, you can treat it like "fresh" fish. I would give it a shot and see what happens, at least. I'll even try it with you to see how it goes :)

Well, I did well this week and lost 3 pounds. But I probably put it all back on this weekend. I was at a scrapbooking retreat, and we ate a ton of junk food. So tomorrow morning it's back to the gym.

And I went and signed up at the gym by my house. I'm still a member at a different gym for 2 more months, but I never get there because it's too far away from where I'm working now. This one is just right down the street from me. It's the same price as my 1st gym, and the initiation fees were waived.

Today's QOTD - I don't eat any fish at all. I'm allergic to it. I can't even stand the smell of it. If the smell is too strong, I'll get very sick.

Yikes! :crazy2: Yes, this question is so not for you! But good for you for signing up to go to a closer gym. I need to get back in the gym myself and back into my routine.

I love fish but my hubby doesn't much.... So don't make it much however my son does and we bought some pre seasoned salmon steaks and tilapia today while shopping :)
Have been eating my way thru the day again :( feel crummy, the blisters are pealing on the bottom of my feet which is exposing fresh raw skin so walking is even more painful today...exercising is impossible...even simple yoga as it put so much pressure on my feet..... I can feel the lbs taking hold!!!

Really need to get out of this rut.....

Cam, I wonder what you may be able to put on your feet to help...I know a friend of mine that will freeze water bottles and roll them under her feet when they're sore- maybe this would help? I'm thinking maybe it'll help numb them up, or just relieve them. I hope you feel better soon!pixiedust:

First off, JacksLilWench, feel better soon!! :flower3:

I love fish! Really I prefer it over red meat now. I don't have any fancy way of making it; just salt, pepper, a little butter and Worcestershire on tilapia and baked for 20-30 minutes.

Thanks girlie! Love the haircut too!! And don't you just love Goodwill? They just opened one up near my house, and I am itching to go! That recipe sounds really good, and really easy too- the two things I need in a recipe! I'll have to try it out soon!

I love, love fish but DH does not and I'm not a very good cook so I have never tried to make it, so my favorite way to eat it is by having someone else make it!

Hahaha, nice! It does always taste better when someone else makes it, doesn't it? :thumbsup2

When we go on vacation each summer, there is a caribbean restaurant that we love to eat at. They have a dish called "Fish in Tin" that is a piece of white fish (whatever they catch that day), wrapped in tinfoil with mango salsa. I'm pretty sure I could live on that stuff! :)

Currently, our favorite way to eat fish is Mahi Tikka Masala.

Ooooo, that sounds so tasty! I may have to try to imitate that one if I can...
How do you make Mahi Tikka Masala?

So many new recipe ideas in today's answers, I just love it!

So technically, I'm posting this early. But I have to be up way early to be at work early (gotta make that extra spending money for my trip in just 11 Days!!!!) so I'm gonna cheat just a smidge and post the QOTD already ;)

Today, our journey takes us to...
china.jpg

China!

One of the biggest aspects in Chinese culture is peace, tranquility, and balance. The yin and the yang. The Chinese are believers in feng shui, the idea that the objects in your life and home can be balanced to create positive energy. I'm not sure I entirely buy into the belief, but balance and peace are very important to me and my journey to wellness and goal.

QOTD Monday 9/17: Do you believe that peace and tranquility are a big part of your journey? Do you have a way to get ahold of that peace and use it to your advantage? Maybe you wake up 15 minutes before everyone else and get centered for the day. It may be that you find your tranquility by sleeping those extra 15 minutes ;)

I'll be back after work tomorrow with your replies. I can't wait to hear all about where you find your balance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter