• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?

I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day :)

Jill

That there isn't a 'fix-all' for losing weight. I've seen people do the diets where you don't eat this or that and be very successful...only to gain it all back (and then some) when they start eating those foods again.

Several of my co-workers have been asking me what diet I'm on and they're completely shocked when I tell them I'm not. It's not a diet; it's a life-style change. And honestly, I find it more liberating. While there are foods that I don't eat anymore (mainly fast food) I don't deprive myself either. I still drink chocolate milk and eat grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate, but I make better choices about how I often I have them.

You have to be willing to put in the work and I'm not going to lie, it is going to be work, but once you realize how much better you feel, you'll never want to go back.

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?

Jill

I would definitely say it's to not give up or be discouraged because of a "bad" day or week. I would probably also say to expect bad days and just roll with it when they come- not "if" they come, but WHEN. Make a backup plan to determine what to do, even if it involves eating a cupcake or two ;)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Usually Wednesday night is date night for me and DBF...and tonight is gonna be a little different and I hope it stays that way! He is wanting to go on a walk/run before we go to dinner as part of a healthier way to "be", and I really like it. Saturday we went on a hike, which was very different from what we used to do! (I say "used to" because we won't be sitting around for much longer ;)) I'll let you know how it goes!

Pamela, glad that you had such a great week-end with your kiddos and so happy that your eye is okay! :cool2:

Thanks!

So much great advice already! :cool2: I will add NEVER GIVE UP!

Best bit of advise EVER!! Hope your crazy day goes well.

That there isn't a 'fix-all' for losing weight. I've seen people do the diets where you don't eat this or that and be very successful...only to gain it all back (and then some) when they start eating those foods again.

Several of my co-workers have been asking me what diet I'm on and they're completely shocked when I tell them I'm not. It's not a diet; it's a life-style change. And honestly, I find it more liberating. While there are foods that I don't eat anymore (mainly fast food) I don't deprive myself either. I still drink chocolate milk and eat grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate, but I make better choices about how I often I have them.

You have to be willing to put in the work and I'm not going to lie, it is going to be work, but once you realize how much better you feel, you'll never want to go back.

Great, great advise. It can't be "DIET"....it needs to be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! No better words of advise (other than "NEVER GIVE UP!").

I would definitely say it's to not give up or be discouraged because of a "bad" day or week. I would probably also say to expect bad days and just roll with it when they come- not "if" they come, but WHEN. Make a backup plan to determine what to do, even if it involves eating a cupcake or two ;)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Usually Wednesday night is date night for me and DBF...and tonight is gonna be a little different and I hope it stays that way! He is wanting to go on a walk/run before we go to dinner as part of a healthier way to "be", and I really like it. Saturday we went on a hike, which was very different from what we used to do! (I say "used to" because we won't be sitting around for much longer ;)) I'll let you know how it goes!

High five for you making a healthier life with your DBF.... great to do it when you are young and just starting out. You are developing habits that will probably be sticking around for a LONG time.... might as well make them HEALTHY HABITS!!

Okay.... so I made my sloth-self get moving. I did the first AND second coats of paint on the remaining side of the trim boards that are waiting to be installed and pulled out two of the three garage windows, scraped and sanded, and did a first coat of paint. My kitchen is a bit of a disaster now, but that's life. Plus dinner is cooking away in the crockpot and lunch (leftovers from last night's not-so-successful stuffed peppers) is warming!

I will relax a bit while eating lunch, maybe catch up on a tv show for a few minutes, and then head up stairs to fold laundry and do a bit of scrapping!

TTYL...................P

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4

THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 4 SUPERSTARS!!

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 3?

#10 - 1.08% - belledreamer (Ashley)
#9 - 1.09% - Melissahac99 (Melissa)
#8 - 1.21% - camnham (Jen)
#7 - 1.30% - Raenstoirm (Carla Rae)
#6 - 1.71% - bigsis1970 (Michelle)
#5 - 1.76% - CruiseBoundinKY (Karen)
#4 - 1.90% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 1.92% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 2.04% - rubybpc (Ruby)

and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.14% - bellaally (Alexandra)

Congratulations!!!

What a great week you had. Keep up the good work.

YAY What a great week - Congrats to everyone especially Alexandra! :cheer2:Keep up the hard work - anything worth having is worth working hard for and that is my motto for this challenge (and it's working I was #6 this week!)

Jill

Well first I say you didn't get that way overnight so don't expect it all to just drop off.. then I say I love you and I know you can do it!:cheer2:

good views here on not DIET but Lifestyle change altho when people ask me I just say I'm taking better care of myself - watching what I eat, being more active and lovin life.. I love this little (or big) group thanks so much to all of you for posting (either everyday or whenever you can) I always find motivation, inspriation, and great advise and encouragement..

and with that I declared today no diet eat what i've been craving day as it's my bday and I have been enjoying what I want in moderation! (had eggs for breakfast and white bread for lunch along with a sinfully delish 1/2 of a whoopie pie and my hubs is making us steak dinner on the grill - steak, fingerling potatoes and green beans!) to balance this I picked up an extra Zumba class on Friday.. And even though I had to get up early and come to work it's been a great day so far .. So happy Hump day friends see you all tomorrow - lunch break is over! :(

Congrats to Alexandra, the top 10 and everyone still working toward their goal! :)

Don't give up.. and especially don't give up because you think you blew it on one meal, one day, one week, one month, etc. The important thing is that you keep going and keep trying to stay on track.

Also-- if you think you've failed because you were on vacation and couldn't resist a cinnamon bun the size of your head (ahem.. me in WDW back in June)... just take a minute to breathe, and get back on track right there-- in THAT minute. You don't have to wait for a Monday to start, you can start with the next thing you decide to put in your mouth or with deciding to take the next step with exercise.

kollerbear said:

Hey there all! We're almost half-way through this challenge, and the time sure is flying! I'm proud to say that our retention is still VERY high, at 73% this week! Over 50 of us around the world are making the commitment to live healthfully and support each other. :)

Before I run through the statistics, I noticed that many of us had a rough couple of weeks on the scale. Since we all know that scale is going to go up and down on this journey, I'd like to recognize some non-scale victories in next week's post. So to mix things up, when you weigh-in next week, let me know if you've had a non-scale victory this week that you'd like to recognize. This is, of course, very optional. I'll compile a list of them and add them to the end of next week's stats! Could be neat, right? One reminder, make sure you give me a victory that you're OK with me sharing with the group.

Alright, without further ado, some statistics:

MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----1
Congratulations princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!
Maintainers Reporting In------------------------------1

LOSERS:

Current Participants----------------70
Weigh ins-----------------------49
Excused-------------------------4
Missing this week (first time)-----8
Missing this week (second time)--3
Missing this week (third time)----4
(Off the roster------------------3)

Welcome to new participant rubybpc (Ruby)!

Losses--------------------------29
Maintains------------------------5
Gains --------------------------15
New this week-------------------0

This week’s group loss = 25.6 pounds!
Average percentage of weight lost 0.23%

RETENTION RATE (including Maintainers and Losers): 53/73 = 73%

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

and now

Congratulations!!!

What a great week you had. Keep up the good work. We have a very special clippie reserved for our weekly Biggest Loser. Wear it with pride this week!

This is our weekly reigning Biggest Loser clippie. We have the large version:

or use this:

or we have a medium version:

or use this:

and we have a small version:

or use this:

Thanks to ohMom-Molli for these clippies. They were used for a previous BL but we can recycle. Don't they look great?!

Congratulations to everyone that is sign up for this challenge to everyone who loss weight, those who didn't gain any weight, and lastly but most importantly those who tried. This is a long and difficult road so far. I have learned over the last few weeks, that no matter how many people you have encouraging you, this sis something you have to do on your own. The battle is against yourself and your bad learned behaviors. I have come a long way. Eating unhealthy and being lazy for 24 years has taken a big toll, I have a very long way to go,( have to lose 120 lbs to go) but this is the beginning of the rest of my life, I get to be healthier, live longer, fit into clothes I want to wear and look fabulous, not have any excuses, I want to thank you guys because even though I might not reply , I feel like we all have the same type of struggles with exercise and weight. I think I will be starting a blog soon,so I can write all the exercise and my meal plans and recipes. If I motivate at least one person to be healthier it worth it. Hoping everyone is having a great week.

Good evening all! Well was having a great OP day until I got home after football game and the got pissed because no one had done dishes and everyone was starving so warmed up left overs and everyone at while I cleaned kitchen and then I went to eat and the bottomless pits I live with had eaten pretty much everything :(. So I had a cupcake, piece of cake, 2 nutty bars and the last bit of homemade chicken noodles (yeah the ones with the egg/floor noodles from scratch!)
So much for being OP.......grrrrr

Well off to see just how bad off I am on tracking......

Sorry you had a bad day. I hope you're back on track. I know I've been there, done that. Take care of yourself!

Alright, without further ado, some statistics:

MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----1
Congratulations princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!
Maintainers Reporting In------------------------------1

LOSERS:

Current Participants----------------70
Weigh ins-----------------------49
Excused-------------------------4
Missing this week (first time)-----8
Missing this week (second time)--3
Missing this week (third time)----4
(Off the roster------------------3)

Welcome to new participant rubybpc (Ruby)!

Losses--------------------------29
Maintains------------------------5
Gains --------------------------15
New this week-------------------0

This week’s group loss = 25.6 pounds!
Average percentage of weight lost 0.23%

RETENTION RATE (including Maintainers and Losers): 53/73 = 73%

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

and now

Congratulations!!!

Congrats to all the maintainers and losers. A special congrats to Alexandra! Way to go! Keep up the good work everyone!

Have you tried Galloway's glider drills on your short runs? It's supposed to help smooth your transitions. Here is a link to the YouTube video that used to be on the RunDisney site for anyone who is interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC97nMK-Q94

Thanks for this link. I'll be checking it out when I have some extra time. It may be next summer :rotfl: but I'll get to it!

Jill, nice job getting all that crazy stuff over with at once. Hope you have smooth sailing for the rest of the week. :flower3: (As smooth as can be with your roof being replaced).

Thanks. I'm hoping for less craziness as well.

and with that I declared today no diet eat what i've been craving day as it's my bday and I have been enjoying what I want in moderation! (had eggs for breakfast and white bread for lunch along with a sinfully delish 1/2 of a whoopie pie and my hubs is making us steak dinner on the grill - steak, fingerling potatoes and green beans!) to balance this I picked up an extra Zumba class on Friday.. And even though I had to get up early and come to work it's been a great day so far .. So happy Hump day friends see you all tomorrow - lunch break is over! :(

Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your special day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I apologize for not responding or replying to everyone. I read all of your responses to the QOTD and everyone offered such good advice. Sometimes I need to read other people's advice and apply it to myself. This is one of those weeks!

I have had a another hectic day (DH still sick and has been in bed since 4ish) and I am just sitting down for the first time. Now, I have to get organized for tommorow, which I just realized is just as hectic (of course!). My boys have early dismissal from school, dentist appointments for both, and then tomorrow night is open house at their school. I'm hoping DH feels better so he can go with us. I'm also hoping DH feels better so he can make dinner while I have the boys at the dentist. It would help out a lot!

So, again, I apologize for not being a very good coach today. Have a good night and I'll *talk* to you all tomorrow! Thanks.

Jill

So excited :)

I was actually able to walk on the treadmill tonight for 30 minutes with NO PAIN!!! My left foot is a little sore now that I am home but I can deal with that...it has been almost a full month since I have been able to do any exercise!!!! Woot Woot!!

Sorry, I don't post a lot on the thread, just don't have the time for much posting at the moment. But I wanted to say thank you for everyone who replied to the recent QOTDs about what you would advise to someone who is just starting to lose weight and about the plateau. I have been working on my weight loss for quite some time, but all your advise was so motivating!! Really gave me a boost!! So also thank you very much to our coach for asking these great questions!

Good morning :) I wanted to end my coaching week with another fun question. I hope you all have a great Thursday!

QOTD Thursday, October 11

Do you have any pets? If yes, what kind and what are their names? Do you have any funny stories about your pets?

I'll be back later to hear all about your animal families.

Jill

I apologize for not responding or replying to everyone. I read all of your responses to the QOTD and everyone offered such good advice. Sometimes I need to read other people's advice and apply it to myself. This is one of those weeks!

No worries! Glad you were able to glean some helpful info!

I have had a another hectic day (DH still sick and has been in bed since 4ish) and I am just sitting down for the first time. Now, I have to get organized for tommorow, which I just realized is just as hectic (of course!). My boys have early dismissal from school, dentist appointments for both, and then tomorrow night is open house at their school. I'm hoping DH feels better so he can go with us. I'm also hoping DH feels better so he can make dinner while I have the boys at the dentist. It would help out a lot!

Yowza! I don't know how you keep up! I hope that DH feels better and can give some help. If not, peanut butter sandwiches and apple slices for dinner once in a while never hurt anyone!! I'll bet the boys could make that dinner themselves! Let them help! You want them to grow up to be helpful, caring, self-sufficient men, right? So let them practice by helping you!

So, again, I apologize for not being a very good coach today. Have a good night and I'll *talk* to you all tomorrow! Thanks.

Jill

You did just fine! Thanks for coaching!

So excited :)

I was actually able to walk on the treadmill tonight for 30 minutes with NO PAIN!!! My left foot is a little sore now that I am home but I can deal with that...it has been almost a full month since I have been able to do any exercise!!!! Woot Woot!!

WOW! That is wonderful! Just don't over do it!

Sorry, I don't post a lot on the thread, just don't have the time for much posting at the moment. But I wanted to say thank you for everyone who replied to the recent QOTDs about what you would advise to someone who is just starting to lose weight and about the plateau. I have been working on my weight loss for quite some time, but all your advise was so motivating!! Really gave me a boost!! So also thank you very much to our coach for asking these great questions!

So glad you were able to get some help from all of the folks here!

Good morning :) I wanted to end my coaching week with another fun question. I hope you all have a great Thursday!

Do you have any pets? If yes, what kind and what are their names? Do you have any funny stories about your pets?

I'm a cat person. If I lived alone I would definitely be a crazy old cat lady!:rotfl: I have one cat at the moment..... had her for about 6 years now. Her real name is Lucky but we call her Schmoopy. Basically, she was living under the neighbor's shed with her kitten one summer. They took in the kitten but refused to take the mother. (We were pretty sure they weren't feral, as they did approach folks in the yard cautiously.) I couldn't let her spend the winter under the shed, so in November we caught her and took her home. She is TRULY one of the absolute sweetest kitties we have ever had!

We had mice over the summer.... DD brought them home from the lab at school. One died in August, the other died 2 weeks ago. And she had guinea pigs for a few years. It was heart breaking when they died.... but we are long past the age of "needing" small furry rodent pets! ::yes::

Morning all! Kids are off early and DH just dashed out the door. Another day here alone in paradise! :lmao: I will spend said day doing all kinds of fun stuff like laundry! Actually, I did 3 loads yesterday (with one left to fold) so I probably won't do more than 1 today. I painted the garage windows yesterday. If it appears that they don't need another coat, I will clean the windows and reinstall them this morning. Then off to my scrapping table! It has become a dumping ground lately and it MUST be cleared off! I did a bit of photo organizing yesterday, but no true scrapping.

Tonight's dinner is super easy (beef tenderloin on the grill, roasted green beans, teriyaki brown rice), so I don't need a lot of time to worry about that.

Last night's dinner was delish, as usual! I love that recipe! Here it is for anyone who might be interested! Post #35

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512&page=3

Off to make breakfast! TTYL....................P

We have 2 miniature long haired piebald colored daschunds named.. Oscar (boy) & Maya (girl). Yes we're corny. If you scroll almost to the bottom on this website to where it says "Snugglebug Carrier" they are the two models... This was their only "modeling gig" ;) They are going to be 4 in November.
As for funny stories, every day is a funny story with those two.
Maya is the crazy one and Oscar is kind of a lazy boy... until there are deer or bear or foxes in the backyard and then he springs to life and barks at them through the sliding glass door. My husband says he's not lazy- just conserving energy for times like these ;) Maya on the other hand--She's the lookout for food or any action, she sleeps with one eye open-- sometimes literally. She's definitely more active and even though she's only 9.5 lbs- she can leap from the floor to the top/back of the couch in a single bound. We don't know how she does it, and we've checked her feet for springs ;)

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Pamela, sounds like you were very productive yesterday so take it easy and enjoy your scrapping table today. :flower3:

Great advice, Ashley! :goodvibes

More great advice, Kaiti! Hope that you enjoying your run/walk.

:bday: party: Happy belated birthday to bigsis1970! Hope your day was magical!

just take a minute to breathe, and get back on track right there-- in THAT minute. You don't have to wait for a Monday to start, you can start with the next thing you decide to put in your mouth or with deciding to take the next step with exercise.

Excellent point! ::yes::

Ally, there is a whole section of journals on the WISH boards that you might want to check out for ideas on your own blog.

Jill, what a trouper you are coaching while amidst the chaos. Hope everyone in your house is feeling better soon! :flower3: Thank you for coaching this week! :thanks: You've been a great coach!

Cam, glad that you were able to do a little walking on the TM last night. :goodvibes Baby steps to be sure that you are completely healed. Nothing is more frustrating that reinjuring yourself.

Flossbolna, nice to see you! :flower3: Love your avatar picture -- where was it taken?

We have a black labrador, Sadie, a tuxedo cat, Wally, and Peple the Party Turtle
IMG_1665.jpg

We call him Peple the Party Turtle because he always has various holiday decorations above the tank in the family room. Our pets are definitely part of the family. :love:

Christina, your two pups are so cute and have such sweet faces! :cutie:

Have a great day everyone and make good choices so you can have a great weigh in tomorrow! :goodvibes

We have 2 miniature long haired piebald colored daschunds named.. Oscar (boy) & Maya (girl). Yes we're corny. If you scroll almost to the bottom on this website to where it says "Snugglebug Carrier" they are the two models... This was their only "modeling gig" ;) They are going to be 4 in November.
As for funny stories, every day is a funny story with those two.
Maya is the crazy one and Oscar is kind of a lazy boy... until there are deer or bear or foxes in the backyard and then he springs to life and barks at them through the sliding glass door. My husband says he's not lazy- just conserving energy for times like these ;) Maya on the other hand--She's the lookout for food or any action, she sleeps with one eye open-- sometimes literally. She's definitely more active and even though she's only 9.5 lbs- she can leap from the floor to the top/back of the couch in a single bound. We don't know how she does it, and we've checked her feet for springs ;)

Oh my gosh.... those eyes! They are adorable.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Pamela, sounds like you were very productive yesterday so take it easy and enjoy your scrapping table today. :flower3:

Thanks for that! I did end up hustling around a lot, despite not feeling it.

We have a black labrador, Sadie, a tuxedo cat, Wally, and Peple the Party Turtle

You have a full complement! Canine, feline, and reptile! :thumbsup2

IMG_1665.jpg

We call him Peple the Party Turtle because he always has various holiday decorations above the tank in the family room. Our pets are definitely part of the family.

DD would LOVE to have a turtle! But mean old Mom says NO to reptiles. Did you buy him or find him??

Have a great day everyone and make good choices so you can have a great weigh in tomorrow! :goodvibes

Still trying to make good choices to make up for my "not-so-good" choices last weekend! :rotfl:

:offtopic: Well friends.... it would appear that my self-diagnosis of a particle in my eye last weekend was WRONG! Shortly after getting up this morning I started with some aching in that same eye (so I immediately removed my contacts and put on my glasses).... then the weeping and redness and now I've added the light sensitivity. :mad: I"m mad at myself for not getting it checked earlier this week (even though it was totally fine on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...:confused3). Now I am home today with no car, so I can't go see the doctor. DD has swim tonight, so I"m not sure I could even fit in an appointment tonight, since DH is away. I am scheduled to work tomorrow and really do NOT want to call in sick... but if this eye gets worse I may have no choice.

For the remainder of today I am going to try to scrap in some dim light. I may end up just watching TV in the dark. The light sensitivity isn't as bad as it was last Friday, but the pain/aching/headachy-ness is worse.

I was at least able to get the garage windows cleaned up and ready to replace, but I realize that it makes no sense to replace them without painting the frames/trim.... but my eye is not going to make that possible today. I will leave them out for now and hopefully get it done over the weekend. I will hang out one load of laundry (with my sunglasses on) and then retire to my bedroom with the shades drawn.

I do NOT have time for this aggravation.

Back on topic::thumbsup2

Anyhow..... at my Bible study this week we were talking about ways to change the dialogue in your head.... you know, that voice that tells you to "go ahead and eat the other brownie. You've already blown it today!" Or when it tells you... "It is a SPECIAL occasion! How many chances do you get to eat birthday cake?? You've had a tough week....you DESERVE it!"

We had a good time coming up with alternative statements like.... "I DESERVE to be strong and healthy!" and "Your next bite is a chance to get it RIGHT!" THat has truly been a struggle for me at times and we came up with some great ways to change that dialogue. One of the statements in the book we are using is "I was made for more." And we WERE!! We were all made for more..... more health, more strength, more happiness, more positive changes! What were you made for MORE of??? ........................P

QOTD:

Two pups - Jiko is just over a year old and we've had him since he was six weeks old. He's a rescue (Chow mix) and yes he's named after the restaurant. Meeko is our newest addition, another rescue. He's ten months old and we've had him about a month now. He's adorable but was clearly abused in his previous home (found wandering on the street by our vet). He also definitely lives up to his name - he's very crafty but a total love muffin.

Now this is a question I can write pages one!! :rotfl2: Currently we have 9 critters and a fish tank. All their names are in my siggie.

We have a sheltie named Misty. She turned 8 last month. Here is a pic from her 3rd birthday. I love it cause you know trouble is about to happen! ;) (And yes each critter wears a hat on his/her birthday and they dress for Halloween and sometimes other holidays. :p)

P9110640-1.jpg

The cat in that pic is Adonis (we call him Donny).

P7112981_zps4db9aed3.jpg

Then we have Bella dressed as Jack Sparrow. She is a handful and a real pain in the butt!

DSCN0155_zpsfdf6ef0d.jpg

Then we have 2 Red Ear Sliders, Charlie and Angel

PA161173.jpg

And the most interesting to most people are my boys. We have 4 gliders all named after Disney characters. The white one is Oswald. The one in the middle is Raja and the twins are Timothy and Sebastian.

5X7gliders_zps90fdfcfd.jpg

And yes they do have "wings". Here is a pic of baby Timmy with his "wings" out.
DSCN1758.jpg

As for funny stories, we had ferrets for years. (Our last one died maybe 4 years ago.) People dont realize how smart ferrets are. We dh and were in college we lived in a basement apartment. We had a gate across the bottom of the stairs so the ferrets couldn't get to the front door or the upstairs neighbor. At that time we had one adult female (Emlie), one adult male (Tobey) and a newborn male (Nibblet). The upstairs neighbor kept calling us because she would keep getting a visitor, Emlie. The gate was secure (and ferret climbing proof), so we had no idea how she kept getting over it. After like the 10th escape, we put a mirror up so we could watch her without her realizing it (she would never do it if we were around). We watched her take the large adult male and drag him in front of the gate. Then she went back and dragged the baby and put him on top of the male and then got a running start and CLIMBED HER BROTHERS! They gave her enough height she could grab the top of the gate and hoist herself over. :rotfl2: She was a problem solver. We also had to use KEYED luggage locks to lock her cage at night or she would open the door and run free. We would actually put the key out of reach of the cage, because we were convinced if she could get to the key she would figure out how to unlock a lock!

We have 2 miniature long haired piebald colored daschunds named.. Oscar (boy) & Maya (girl). Yes we're corny.
We have a Charlie and an Angel so I am right there with ya! :lmao:

We have a sheltie named Misty. She turned 8 last month. Here is a pic from her 3rd birthday. I love it cause you know trouble is about to happen! (And yes each critter wears a hat on his/her birthday and they dress for Halloween and sometimes other holidays. )

Your sheltie is beautiful! I am a collie-nut, so I love shelties too. Sadly, living in Arizona, neither are very practical. It is so very hot here 3/4 of the year!

QOTD:

I don't technically have any pets, but we're living in my parents' basement right now, and they have a Labrador, chickens, cockatiels, and parakeets. I grew up with every pet imaginable at one time or another, including a few horses, lots of cats, rabbits, mice, even snakes! (Thankfully my snakes were never big enough to have any connection with the mice...) When we have our own place again (that allows pets) I think we'll go with either a hamster or a cockatiel at first. I want my kids to be around animals, but my husband doesn't enjoy them at all, so I'll have to compromise a little...

I enjoy reading all your posts and hearing about your struggles and successes! I had a rough week last week. Very emotional and hormonal. Add in a birthday and I ate WAY too much sugar and over ate in general. I have had a great couple of healthy, calorie-counting days and am eating almost no sugar. I have already lost 2 lbs and am hoping for at least one more to get back down where I was the week before! I am wishing for an additional lb, but we'll just have to see what my body thinks. I am also getting a cold, which should suppress my appetite a little if I can just get through this early scratchy-throat phase without soothing it with salty chips...

QOTD:

Two pups - Jiko is just over a year old and we've had him since he was six weeks old. He's a rescue (Chow mix) and yes he's named after the restaurant. Meeko is our newest addition, another rescue. He's ten months old and we've had him about a month now. He's adorable but was clearly abused in his previous home (found wandering on the street by our vet). He also definitely lives up to his name - he's very crafty but a total love muffin.

How wonderful of you to take in rescue pets. When they turn out to be wonderful additions to the family, I just start thinking about the family that missed out on loving these creatures (thinking of whom ever dumped/abused the animal). We think our Lucky was dumped in our area when she get PG (we live far out in the boondocks). Some family made a stupid move, because honestly she is a fabulous kitty!

Now this is a question I can write pages one!! :rotfl2: Currently we have 9 critters and a fish tank. All their names are in my siggie.

We have a sheltie named Misty. She turned 8 last month. Here is a pic from her 3rd birthday. I love it cause you know trouble is about to happen! ;) (And yes each critter wears a hat on his/her birthday and they dress for Halloween and sometimes other holidays. :p)

P9110640-1.jpg

The cat in that pic is Adonis (we call him Donny).

Funny!!

P7112981_zps4db9aed3.jpg

Then we have Bella dressed as Jack Sparrow. She is a handful and a real pain in the butt!

I'd be a pain in the butt too if you dressed me like that!:rotfl2:

DSCN0155_zpsfdf6ef0d.jpg

Then we have 2 Red Ear Sliders, Charlie and Angel

PA161173.jpg

And the most interesting to most people are my boys. We have 4 gliders all named after Disney characters. The white one is Oswald. The one in the middle is Raja and the twins are Timothy and Sebastian.

5X7gliders_zps90fdfcfd.jpg

And yes they do have "wings". Here is a pic of baby Timmy with his "wings" out.
DSCN1758.jpg

As for funny stories, we had ferrets for years. (Our last one died maybe 4 years ago.) People dont realize how smart ferrets are. We dh and were in college we lived in a basement apartment. We had a gate across the bottom of the stairs so the ferrets couldn't get to the front door or the upstairs neighbor. At that time we had one adult female (Emlie), one adult male (Tobey) and a newborn male (Nibblet). The upstairs neighbor kept calling us because she would keep getting a visitor, Emlie. The gate was secure (and ferret climbing proof), so we had no idea how she kept getting over it. After like the 10th escape, we put a mirror up so we could watch her without her realizing it (she would never do it if we were around). We watched her take the large adult male and drag him in front of the gate. Then she went back and dragged the baby and put him on top of the male and then got a running start and CLIMBED HER BROTHERS! They gave her enough height she could grab the top of the gate and hoist herself over. :rotfl2: She was a problem solver. We also had to use KEYED luggage locks to lock her cage at night or she would open the door and run free. We would actually put the key out of reach of the cage, because we were convinced if she could get to the key she would figure out how to unlock a lock!

We have a Charlie and an Angel so I am right there with ya! :lmao:

Makes me DOUBLY glad I said NO to ferrets over the years! I didn't realize they were so crazy smart!

Your sheltie is beautiful! I am a collie-nut, so I love shelties too. Sadly, living in Arizona, neither are very practical. It is so very hot here 3/4 of the year!

QOTD:

I don't technically have any pets, but we're living in my parents' basement right now, and they have a Labrador, chickens, cockatiels, and parakeets. I grew up with every pet imaginable at one time or another, including a few horses, lots of cats, rabbits, mice, even snakes! (Thankfully my snakes were never big enough to have any connection with the mice...) When we have our own place again (that allows pets) I think we'll go with either a hamster or a cockatiel at first. I want my kids to be around animals, but my husband doesn't enjoy them at all, so I'll have to compromise a little...

I enjoy reading all your posts and hearing about your struggles and successes! I had a rough week last week. Very emotional and hormonal. Add in a birthday and I ate WAY too much sugar and over ate in general. I have had a great couple of healthy, calorie-counting days and am eating almost no sugar. I have already lost 2 lbs and am hoping for at least one more to get back down where I was the week before! I am wishing for an additional lb, but we'll just have to see what my body thinks. I am also getting a cold, which should suppress my appetite a little if I can just get through this early scratchy-throat phase without soothing it with salty chips...

Prayers that your cold is short-lived. How about some green tea with a bit of honey? The green tea to boost your metabolism and the honey has natural anti-bacterial qualities.... plus the sweetness might be a nice touch!

Second load of laundry on the line, bed made (skipping the kids today), and ate my broccoli. Next up is a turkey sandwich, an apple, and return to the scrap table...........P

I'll be back later to hear all about your animal families.

Jill

HI we are down to just 1 kitty.. he is almost 16 his name is Bandit - we call him bandy.. here is his pic from April 2012 as I was getting ready for my a Disney Trip
DSCF2001.jpg

and this was our beloved beagle Copper - we go him when he was 1 (in the fall of 2002), he had no people or house skills but was crate trained.. took me about 6 months to train him. not saying that he didn't run away or eat everything he could get into!!! haaa... I once came home and he'd figured out how to spin the lazy susan cupboard and helped himself to tons of stuff - flour, sugar, dry pasta, peanut butter .. but BREAD was his fave! had to keep in the fridge when he was around.. we had to put him down the end of Sept 2011 .. here is a fave pic of mine for when we took him camping in 2008.. miss you buddy boy! :sad:
copperontheridehome5-25-08.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter